As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Webcomic art - MUST SEE

• u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Generic style-based on the comic whose forum you are posting on, no less-generic subject, generic characters.

You're not very good at this.
    2. I posted this IN A PENNY ARCADE FORUM... yes, I'm aping Gabe's art style. Yes, I like Tycho's writing style. Yes, I have the same sense of humor (why else would I be here in the first place?) I've followed their comic almost since it first came out. I can't help aping both of them, not when I'm just starting out at least.
    Yes. Yes you can.
    3. Please just tell me how to draw better. I REALIZE THE ART IS SHITTY. That's why I asked for constructive crit in the first place.
    Well, you could start by trying to draw your own work, or draw from a diverse pool of influences. Or even get outside, and draw from life.

Just a thought.

u63r on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    HanSagan wrote: »
    I have to disagree with this. Copying other artists to improve and develop a style is a well established tradition.
    There is nothing wrong with gleaning inspiration from other artists, but that is no substite for a solid foundation of your own.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • milknpeachesmilknpeaches Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh, shit, I swear I deleted those comics.

They should be deleted now.

And I've never read CtrAltDel.

I'm going to do some new comics, not about video games, and not imitating (poorly) Gabe's style. Then I will post them here to get some more constructive criticism and to show you that I am not a whore.

Thanks for all the criticism - even the guy that mentioned that the Starcraft II comic hurt his soul. Yikes.

milknpeaches on
  • JawneeJawnee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow... some really harsh art experts around here...

Jawnee on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to do some new comics, not about video games, and not imitating (poorly) Gabe's style. Then I will post them here to get some more constructive criticism and to show you that I am not a whore.

You know, there is nothing wrong with doing a comic about video games. It's the repetitiveness of the video game comic format: Two guys talk about video games, random genitalia joke and cussing... lots and lots of cussing. It gets old!

There is nothing that separates you from the pack leader (in this case Penny-Arcade). If I were asked to do a comic about video games, I'd probably look at what everyone else is doing and go in a totally diffrent direction! I'd incorporate things from my life that I like, so that its fun to write.

Off the top of my head:

(wow, this is hard, I hardly play video games)

A boy get's sucked in the internet and must find his way home through the X-box live feature moving from server to server. Along the way he makes several remarks about the poor development plans of several big name games as he is forced to collect zombie testicles on a WOW mini quest.

EDIT: Wow, that's just like Captain N!

MagicToaster on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

You know, there is nothing wrong with doing a comic about video games. It's the repetitiveness of the video game comic format: Two guys talk about video games, random genitalia joke and cussing... lots and lots of cussing. It gets old!

There is nothing that separates you from the pack leader (in this case Penny-Arcade). If I were asked to do a comic about video games, I'd probably look at what everyone else is doing and go in a totally diffrent direction! I'd incorporate things from my life that I like, so that its fun to write.

Off the top of my head:

(wow, this is hard, I hardly play video games)

A boy get's sucked in the internet and must find his way home through the X-box live feature moving from server to server. Along the way he makes several remarks about the poor development plans of several big name games as he is forced to collect zombie testicles on a WOW mini quest.

EDIT: Wow, that's just like Captain N!

MagicToaster, I totally dare you to make that comic into your own ongoing series.

NibCrom on
    edited May 2007
    Sorry, but I already have Pennywise's story running in my mind. It's called Black Star Princess.

MagicToaster on
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jawnee wrote: »

True, but theyre good art critics. Heck, my stuff improved much since first posted here...

Compare the first few pages of my webcomic, to the last ones-
    http://612toapocalypse.blogspot.com/

Because of these guys, Ive started sketching the page before drawing it, have learned simple lighting (although i still suck at it), have taken live-model drawing classes, and cut down on number of random Liefeld lines (in digital art), and managed some half-arsed details in my rpg sketches.

Im far from being good, but these guys sure as hell pushed me along the way. If I werent straight, Id give them a manhug or something.

JCM on
    edited May 2007
    JCM wrote: »

True, but theyre good art critics. Heck, my stuff improved much since first posted here...

Because of these guys, Ive started sketching the page before drawing it, have learned simple lighting (although i still suck at it), have taken live-model drawing classes, and cut down on number of random Liefeld lines (in digital art), and managed some half-arsed details in my rpg sketches.

Im far from being good, but these guys sure as hell pushed me along the way. If I werent straight, Id give them a manhug or something.

It's just a matter of preference I suppose. I'm always open to criticism myself, and encourage people to give it to me straight even if it may mean learning that I'm doing everything wrong... but I don't find comments like "Looks like you did that in MS Paint" and the like all that constructive.

Jawnee on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It comes from years of putting up with thick artists who don't give actually want advice, especially webcomic artists who write about videogames.

At least this thread didn't get filled with a bunch of dumb sandwiches. Ugh.

Fugitive on
  • SpilltoySpilltoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fugitive wrote: »
    It comes from years of putting up with thick artists who don't give actually want advice, especially webcomic artists who write about videogames.

Aye; a lot of people just think that they're amazing, so when they post asking for advice, they are just trying to "be modest," all the while expecting a handjob instead of a slap to the face. And an actual critique comes as quite the slap to the face, so they bite back like idiots and make up all sorts of johns and it's just a horrendous waste of time and space.

When that's the norm and the expectation, it's pretty easy to overdo it a little bit with the harshness.

Spilltoy on
    I really don't.
    edited May 2007

I can understand how that would get rather old quickly.

Jawnee on
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JCM wrote: »

It's just a matter of preference I suppose. I'm always open to criticism myself, and encourage people to give it to me straight even if it may mean learning that I'm doing everything wrong... but I don't find comments like "Looks like you did that in MS Paint" and the like all that constructive.

Yeah, they sometimes are harsh.

But the MS paint comment was right on... too much pixelation, bitmappish lines and white noise around blacks, looks like the MS paint fill tool (however, the gradients say othewise)

JCM on
  • CrashHollywoodCrashHollywood Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    I think everyone who's been posting here really needs to think about why they are posting. So far the majority of the posts have been "..Pa rip off.." "..bad art.." etc. I hardly see how this helps Milk N Peaches. I see that you recognized the formula PA used for success. 2 characters + medium of entertainment + commentary on said medium. I would take a character drawing class and develop truly original characters and focus on developing your characters before you get into reviewing or commenting on anything. You really have to think: 1. Why am I making a comic? 2. What are my goals for the comic? and 3. Who is my target audience? I really would like to see an improved Milk N Peaches down the road.

CrashHollywood on
  • milknpeachesmilknpeaches Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's a really good suggestion, and for what it's worth I hope you see an improved MNP down the road as well. Actually, if you visit the site now I'd like to hear what you think of it.

milknpeaches on
  • ObiwanObiwan Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

sammiches.jpg

Obiwan on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    HATE YOU SO MUCH

bombardier on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    We don't do the sandwhich thing anymore. Mostly because its gay. And retarded. Gaytarded, if you will.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So is this a sandwich thread?

I barely glanced at the first post and it'd be a sin if wasn't already.

Godfather on
    edited May 2007
    So what you're saying, Godfather, is you want me to lock your title to say "Gaytarded"?

• SynapsidSynapsid Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Interestingly enough I was just reading this book that lists all the violations that one can make to break brand promises. One of which is having a product be too similar to the lead product. You just plead guilty to this one.

Haha, that is an awesome book... its required college course material for Graphic Design.

Synapsid on
  • ScottEwenScottEwen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The commentary on this page confuses me: http://milknpeaches.powweb.com/id9.html. Specifically where you talk about how nobody finds this comic funny but you, then you say:
    And I ask them, "So... it's funny, then?" And they say, "well... no. Or... I'm not really sure." So I guess it's so far from being funny that it's entered some sort of nether realm, wherein concepts such as amusing or not amusing have lost their meaning.

In other words, this comic has the same effect on humor as a black hole has on gravity. And I am so proud of that.

Putting your analogy aside, which I'm not sure works, you're saying you're proud that your comic isn't funny? Huh?

ScottEwen on
    I draw this comic: http://www.thesundayscomic.com
    And then I have a deviantART here: http://scottewen.deviantart.com
    And I tweet: http://www.twitter.com/scottewenartist
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's not so unusual Scott. Ben Stiller has lived by that credo for years.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So what you're saying, Godfather, is you want me to lock your title to say "Gaytarded"?

*Scuffs shoes and looks down at the ground* No sir.......

Godfather on
    edited June 2007
    Godfather wrote: »

*Scuffs shoes and looks down at the ground* No sir.......

Who wants Fla-Vor-Ice?! ;-)
    Fla-Vor-Ice.jpg

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    That's not so unusual Scott. Ben Stiller has lived by that creedo for years.

200px-Greedo.jpg

Fugitive on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    That's not so unusual Scott. Ben Stiller has lived by that Greedo for years.

200px-Greedo.jpg

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    creedo.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • SpilltoySpilltoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    WIN.

Spilltoy on
    I really don't.
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LOL! haha, I think this is the first time I've ever actually laughed out loud at this forum :D

Spot on AoB!

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    At least he's not this guy.

The OP took advice and is noticeably improving.

falconaire shit on the advice and is still sub-mediocre.

Moral of the story: AC can seem dickish at times, but you would be a fool to ignore the advice.

MKR on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MKR wrote: »

Moral of the story: AC can seem dickish at times, but you would be a fool to ignore the advice.

For a second there I was paranoid you linked my profile.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
    edited June 2007

For a second there I was paranoid you linked my profile.

Your art reeks of weird, not terrible.

Big difference. :P

MKR on
    edited June 2007
    To be fair, Ludvick came about while I was extremely bored and several Gorillaz songs happened to be playing on my ipod.

Music really screws me up when drawing. I'm usually that "draws from observation" guy, but when I'm listening to music I draw really weird shit.

core tactic on
  • lilylidoulilylidou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the comic is funny.
    I like it.
    If the quality on the strip can be improved.it'll look more better.

lilylidou on
    :P:lol:
    Thanks You Comments
    MySpace Surveys
  • vascyvascy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Oh wow, those comics are bad...

vascy on
    edited June 2007
    vascy wrote: »

Oh wow, those comics are bad...

What's sad is that he has spent so much time learning poor methods and creating an atrocious style, it will take years for him to unlearn it if he decides to improve.

MKR on
    edited June 2007
    At least he's not this guy!

Jesus, I just listened to his podcast, funniest thing ever!

MagicToaster on
    edited June 2007
    I like it when people make long newsposts and podcasts, as if they think people actually read their comic.

core tactic on
    edited June 2007
    I'm gonna scan a pair of panties and email them to him. Then I'll wait for his next pod cast to see if he talks about it.

Does anyone dare me?

Anyone???

MagicToaster on