As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Green wrote: »
    InitialDK wrote: »
    This just came in for me the day before L.A. Noire came out. I have an interesting back and forth going between the two.

(A) Truth
    (Y) Doubt
    (X) Kill dick

:^:

Mr Pink on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was probably more emotionally invested in bulletstorm than LA Noire, awesome facial recognition be damned.

Prohass on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    picked the PC version up from gamersgate yesterday for 12 bucks. Pretty fun so far! Anybody still play this? There is that whole online coop portion of the game that I have a feeling I'll never get to play.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I fucking hate that it was a region specific sale.

Big Classy on
    edited June 2011
    It's 50% off from Origin until June 26h with promo code FIFTYOFF, so it's 15 bucks there which is also a god deal. Maybe that works for you?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited June 2011
    No the deals are all US only sadly. Its like they don't want money.

Big Classy on
    edited June 2011
    well that's dumb

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited June 2011
    so the Gamersgate CD Keys don't register to Origin even though all recent EA Games are supposed to (some sorta bug since the game uses GFWL apparently, a origin dev made a post about it on their forums).

So, on the recommendation of that post, I e-mailed EA with the situation and after I proved to them I bought the game they behind the scenes added it to my origin account. So that's kinda neat and means I'll never have to deal with Gamersgate again for this game, which is nice.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Bringing this one back from the dead.

Just finished this game after purchasing it for $5 during the Steam holiday sale. Was worth my five bucks. I wish they had kept the same level of crazyness that Painkiller had though.
    And man was that ending terrible.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Oh man, you didn't like the ending? I thought it was quite well done. Set up quite nicely for a sequel while maintaining an acceptable amount of closure

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought the ending was pretty cool. The fact that we probably won't be getting a sequel made it slightly less enjoyable, but I still liked it.

Maybe Epic should follow the Double Fine example and start a Bulletstorm 2 kickstart. I'd drop $60 on that.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote:
    Yeah, I thought the ending was pretty cool. The fact that we probably won't be getting a sequel made it slightly less enjoyable, but I still liked it.

Maybe Epic should follow the Double Fine example and start a Bulletstorm 2 kickstart. I'd drop $60 on that.

Did Epic explicitly say there would be no sequel, or is it just implied?

edited February 2012
    What!?! the ending was fucking amazing! I wanted to go to more planets in this awesome universe, so fucking dissapointed we wont get a sequel. It was like the Fifth Element of video games.

Its not explicit, but its pretty clear they arent interested, it didnt turn a profit, which isnt a death sentence, but it isnt a good sign. Personally its actually my number one game of all time, but im a massive first person shooter fan.

Prohass on
    Ov3rcharge wrote:
    DeMoN wrote:

Did Epic explicitly say there would be no sequel, or is it just implied?
    Well the first game didn't turn a profit for them, so I'd be pretty surprised if they made one. But with people buying it on steam, who knows.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    I loved Bulletstorm. It's a title I won't be trading in.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
    oh nooooo! :( I didn't realise there won't be a sequel!

That really sucks

Honestly, I would heap a lion's share of the blame on their marketing department because man, they didn't make that look interesting at all. It was only at the urging of some guys on here and my SE Secret Satan that I experienced the game. I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but if I had understood what the game was about at release I would have happily paid the $90 Australian asking price for it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I only just played through Bulletstorm and I thought it was pretty fantastic

thought it had a pretty good story overall, and the writing was pretty great

Yeah thats the thing, in the "hardcore awesomeness" of the marketing the fact that it was actually a well designed, unique, well written and well paced game set in a fantastic, colourful and fun world, kind of got lost.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This game is one of the best not trying to be but actually pretty successful parody games I've seen in a long time. The part on the ship with the bomb gets me every single time. It's such a shame it just didn't seem to find an audience and did badly: I would never have predicted that. I feel the market may be suffering from a bit of FPS oversaturation and so smaller FPS games are getting thrown by the wayside.

Which is a real shame, because bulletstorm had some genuinely fun weapons and scenarios to brutally throw people into.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    I do my best to try and encourage people to buy it, because im hoping if it does well in bargain bin sales it may have a chance at a sequel.

Basically if you're a first person shooter fan you simply HAVE to play it. It does so many new and unique things with the genre. Every time someone roles their eyes at the Gears of War cover-shooter oversaturation I ask them if they played Bulletstorm, a game which essentially fundamentally encouraged and rewarded you for aggressive style-based combat.

Hell if you're a fan of games like bayonetta and devil may cry you should play it, its the first person equivalent.

On a much more basic level it just has a very simple and engaging story, something which so many games seem to fuck up nowadays. It often gets shrugged off as being a game full of clever one liners and thats it, or satirical quips and parodies, but it contributes a lot of new stuff to the genre, and its pacing and overall storytelling are solid, it doesnt just lurch from joke to joke, instead jokes punctuate an already engaging narrative, they arent a crutch.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Went back and played a level, this game was genius.

edited February 2012
    It might have sold better on the PC if they hadn't been such douches about simple things like not encrypting the config files.

Oh and GFWL is still terrible.

Edit: you guys seems really really positive on this game but I didn't really feel like the gameplay was that groundbreaking. I'd actually rather be playing Painkiller. The game seems to finally ramp up at the end, but some the early battles are just downright boring.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Prohass wrote:
    Yeah thats the thing, in the "hardcore awesomeness" of the marketing the fact that it was actually a well designed, unique, well written and well paced game set in a fantastic, colourful and fun world, kind of got lost.

Seriously. I got it during the steam sale, and the first hour or so just blew me away. I wasn't expecting a story. Or likeable characters.
    The marketing really did the game a disservice. And the demo too actually. The demo was fun, but because it took place in the challenge mode, there was no banter. And the banter is like, my favorite part of Bulletstorm.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Space Oghren is pretty hilarious. This game also had some pretty solid art design. The dude at Dead End Thrills is in love with it and it's easy to see why.

Uselesswarrior on
    edited February 2012
    DeMoN wrote:
    Prohass wrote:

Seriously. I got it during the steam sale, and the first hour or so just blew me away. I wasn't expecting a story. Or likeable characters.
    The marketing really did the game a disservice. And the demo too actually. The demo was fun, but because it took place in the challenge mode, there was no banter. And the banter is like, my favorite part of Bulletstorm.

I totally agree! The demo may sell the gameplay, but it gives the impression that it exists in a vacuum as kind of a fun but pointless exercise; a carnival ride. When it actually has a surprising amount of cross-over with the story, which gives it context, urgency, pacing and depth in spades. The fact that the scoring system is actually linked to the story, I did not expect that. Sorry if this is spoilers, but frankly if I can mention anything in this game that gets someone to buy it I will.

Did I mention the boss fight in which the boss trips and falls in a vat of acid before you can fire a shot? Thats the kind of shit that this game is filled with. The main bad-guy actually taunts you with how many of his men you've killed, how many children you've left fatherless, you dick.

Im just so sad we wont be able to explore other worlds in this universe.

In a fictional universe where entire planets get converted into mega-resorts, which are then taken over by the radiated underclass of workers who built it, and then turned into a military proving ground for a Confederate-styled comically corrupt army, through which space pirates battle, I seriously weep at not being able to explore it further. Thinking of all the other crazy planets that could have existed, maybe even ones with cities like during the opening, gah. Now ive just upset myself.

Also yes Useless the art design in this was goddamn fantastic. It was over-the-top and extravagant, but constantly remained grounded and contextual so it never becomes a visual wash.

Prohass on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

I was about to reinstall this, and then this reminded me of the only thing I hated about this game. Boy did GFWL make things a pain in the ass for me with Bulletstorm.

VuIBhrs.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I also just played through this a couple of weeks ago after picking it up in the holiday sale.

Extremely disappointed in myself for not playing it sooner. After all the marketing, I couldn't figure out whether it was the good kind of stupid or the horrible kind, and ended up passing on it. Turns out it's the smart kind of stupid, and it blew the hell out of my meager expectations.

Unrelated: 'fungal rimjob' is now my new favorite phrase.

The narrative was fantastic. I think its one of the best written games ever. Not easy mixing cheesy with emotional buy they managed it alright.

Favorite moment is when you win the wager. I thought that was such a moving little snippet and many people probably missed it.

Big Isy wrote:
    The narrative was fantastic. I think its one of the best written games ever. Not easy mixing cheesy with emotional buy they managed it alright.

Favorite moment is when you win the wager. I thought that was such a moving little snippet and many people probably missed it.

Can you spoil the wager for me? I must have forgotten about it

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

Edit: you guys seems really really positive on this game but I didn't really feel like the gameplay was that groundbreaking. I'd actually rather be playing Painkiller. The game seems to finally ramp up at the end, but some the early battles are just downright boring.

This is how I felt about it. Story, loved it. Characters, loved them. Art-style? I couldn't possibly be more in love with that vibrant world.

But, I didn't particularly like the gameplay. I mean, guns were nice and all, but I didn't like being limited to a few at a time, I didn't like that I was the first person equivalent of Marcus Phoenix (lumbering, slow, sluggish movement). If their Painkiller roots were more visible in the actual gameplay, this would've been tops.

There were even multiple types of "collectables", but they didn't actually confer any bonus whatsoever (newsbots, swarms and drinking all the booze, just offered small +points and achievements). Also, I just checked, and I think there's no "new game +" and upgrades in singleplayer aren't consistent across levels (so I can't super-upgrade everything, then walk into the level of my choice with my drill of death and just dick around), but points seem to be consistent. So many games out there have RPG-ish elements, some form of upgrading and collectables, but they rarely ever have a "new game +" or let the player take advantage of upgrade-systems across levels.

So, faster movement, less lumbering/sluggish, allow for carrying more weapons, new game+/let me upgrade/keep things consistent, and this would have been a perfect game.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    edited February 2012
    I dont really think the movement was slow, I mean, I personally spent the vast majority of the game slide-kicking my way around levels. But your other points I kind of agree with, which is why im even more upset that there probably wont be a sequel, because those are the kind of things that get added.

Prohass on
    Yeah, I'm playing through Gears 3 right now, and Bulletstorm is much faster. It's not exactly a 90s shooter where you run as fast as a car, but you do run at a pretty good clip. And yeah, sliding makes you move.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think the slide kick was perfect. It worked exactly as I wanted it to, same with the actual kick and leash. All the games selling points work perfectly. It was just... turning, having to sprint at all... I guess since I'm just really into Painkiller (I even own and played the terrible, non-PCF ones), I expected it have more influence in the gameplay. It's kinda funny that we have Hard Reset and BulletStorm, the two best, most enjoyable shooters I've played in a good while.

I'm definitely upset there probably won't be a sequel (but, hey, The Darkness got a sequel, so you never know!), since like you said, easiest things in the world to fix. BulletStorm was just God damned good all over.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever been more surprised by a game then Bulletstorm. I enjoyed the combat, just trying to pull combos and cause and effects out of my ass. If they could someohow let you more fluidly move from one combo to another, ala Batman:AC, I'd be in love.

Tef wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:

I don't recall the chapter but
    its shortly after you meet the girl and come across those puts things that can be kicked onto heads. You come across a street and its downhill. Theres a barricade you need to destroy. Most people work out how to get past quickly but if you talk to the lady (forgot her name) she'll offer a wager; solve the little setback and she'll do anything you ask... Within reason.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I thought the only thing that could make the demo more compelling was to show a high score run after you beat it, narrated by Blum.

I speeculate it didn't sell because the game was too colorful.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    Tef wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:

its shortly after you meet the girl and come across those puts things that can be kicked onto heads. You come across a street and its downhill. Theres a barricade you need to destroy. Most people work out how to get past quickly but if you talk to the lady (forgot her name) she'll offer a wager; solve the little setback and she'll do anything you ask... Within reason.

that was a great moment

such a little detail but it worked well

edited February 2012
    Big Isy wrote:
    Tef wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:

that was a great moment

such a little detail but it worked well

I totally screwed up and didn't win the wager, what happens if you do?

Uselesswarrior on
    edited February 2012
    Dammit tripled! Silly phone browser.

Big Classy on

totally not what you expect :lol:
    you tell Trish to forgive Ishi for threatening her. Its very touching tbh, nor something I would have expected before playing the game