As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Opera is double-loading pages

13»

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2006
    The double loading isn't limited to Opera either. Getting it constantly in IE, so it's likely the same issue as before and not a new one. Just an FYI

Aroduc on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Strange, I'm not having any of these problems with Opera. I have version 8.54 and am using XP.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I'm getting pages loading up to four times in Safari :/

area on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Quadruple-loading on post pages. :(

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I know what the problem is, I just can't do anything about it until we get the new hardware. Sorry guys.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I know what the problem is, I just can't do anything about it until we get the new hardware. Sorry guys.

So long as we know you know.

Do we have an eta on the new hardware?

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2006
    Incidentally, I'm having a real hard time getting Opera to completely load pages. Sometimes it will load every post, and then just stop, not loading anything below the last post of a page (the New Topic/Post Reply buttons, page listings, Catsby icon, etcetera), and sometimes it won't even load that much, stopping somewhere halfway through the page leading to several reloads, just so I can finish reading that page.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Lews_TherinLews_Therin Registered User regular
    edited April 2006

Out of curiosity, what is the problem? I'd like to know so I can avoid this sort of thing in my own projects.

Lews_Therin on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Out of curiosity, what is the problem? I'd like to know so I can avoid this sort of thing in my own projects.
    I think it has something to do with the ziffdavis.pennyarcade.longstringofcrap that shows up in the status bar when the page is loading. In Firefox, the browser just hangs on that for a few seconds, but in IE, that's when it reloads the page.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I think it has something to do with the ziffdavis.pennyarcade.longstringofcrap that shows up in the status bar when the page is loading. In Firefox, the browser just hangs on that for a few seconds, but in IE, that's when it reloads the page.

My FF seems to behave differently, it seems to be attemtping a second load of every page, which always fails. I have to manually stop every page from loading when I think its mostly done (usually leaving some images unloaded), which is pretty annoying, so Ive been avoiding the boards.

I dont understand how this can be a hardware issue, why can't the forums just be made to run as they did before?

Azrael on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    the double loading issue seems to be resolved.

for me anyway.

opera 8.53

hooray!

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Awesome. That's good to hear.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Awesome. That's good to hear.

No double loading here either, (Opera 8.52). Awesome job alpha.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    No double-loading thus far, though I am still getting the issue where the pages won't frame correctly, and split the section with name/location/title/avatar/etc equal to the space with the post. I am running 9 beta though, and if I recall, that problem was exclusive to 9 beta users. I'll probably just downgrade to 8.5x now that the reload is gone.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    No double-loading and the new hardware seems to have taken care of that bug it was doing where the page would never finish loading, and if you stopped it, it'd get all scrunched up. Looks like most of the annoying problems have been resolved. (Aside from... you know... our old friend, Mr. Roman Numeral D.)

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    It's uh... it's happened again a couple of times tonight. Opera 8.51 on Windows 98SE.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2006
    Do I say it's still double loading? Or just double loading again? Because it is. In IE. Yada yada.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Im still getting double loads too but it dosent happen every time a reload maybe just 10%-25% of the time when I watch threads and do alot of reloading. Its mildly anoying because the second reload brings me to the top of that page.

Not nearly as bad as it was before the new hardware though.

I run IE on XP with all the updates installed.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I saw once a couple of days ago in Safari.

area on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I think this is a side effect of my (not-so-temporary but soon to be replaced) software load balancer. The hardware load balancer came in yesterday, so I should install it tommorow night. If it still happens, I'd like to know so I can get you guys taken care of.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    dmitdmit Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    It started happening again today. The annoying part is that the reloading sometimes resets the current session so all topics are marked as read.

dmit on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's back!

I've been having the problem the last couple of days again. It seems to be a lot quicker this time, but it's still happening almost every time.

I'm running Opera 9.01 right now.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm getting this as well, also Opera 9.01.

EDIT: upgraded to 9.10. should have done it ages ago anyway. Still happening.

japan on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Go to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Browsing and tell me what your Redraw is set to. I was having that problem again recently, and I bumped that up and down trying to see if it changed anything. It's now set to "Redraw when loaded" and it seems to have stopped, but I could've sworn that was the setting I originally had it on.

Edit: Nevermind. It's reloading again, and it occurs to me that the redraw only controls format rendering, not data loading.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The same thing happens with the (Opera-based) Wii browser.

FunkyWaltDogg on