As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I picked up the UMD for $10 a few weeks ago and ripped it myself. :(

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Same. It's great, but I'd balk a bit at $40.

Hopefully we get CoH2/3. That'd be nice. I've been thumbing through the Japanese wiki for it, and 3 sounds absolutely nuts. Race specific majors, School specific majors, oh, and you can take a minor (subclass) as well. A natural evolution of the Wizardry paradigm.

KiTA on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't buy any ATLUS games on PSN unless they are running one of their sales. That's my opinion anyway. 50% off a $40 game is a huge deal. I bought Class of Heroes during one of their half-off sales. I'm sure they'll have another one.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I finally picked this up. Any suggestions for early starters? I've got 3 fighters in my front row with a wizard, priest, and thief to start. Beyond that?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Change one of the Fighters to a Bishop. You'll save yourself a ridiculous amount of money with the free Appraisal skill the Bishop offers. His class skill (should unlock around level 10-12) is also a life-saver when you start progressing deeper into the dungeons with sub-optimal equipment.

I would also change the other Fighters into a Lord and Samurai respectively. While the spells they learn are handy (the Lord much more so than the Samurai), their eventual class skills will save your ass multiple times, and they both are able to equip 90% of the gear Fighters can. Only reason to keep a Fighter around is it tends to get the most HP of all the classes. When most of the endgame enemies can one-shot or outright kill you regardless of damage dealt, HP doesn't matter.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited June 2011
    I thought it was more useful to have a Bishop back in the 'barn' so to speak. Rather than having one in the party? Am I wrong?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited June 2011
    Magic Wall (Bishop Skill) is literally a life-saver. Any and all damage is nullified through that wall, doesn't matter if the enemy deals 1000 or 10 damage. The wall will break easily from higher sources of damage, but it's usually good to survive a couple of heavy hits. The best part is the Bishop will always go before enemies when using this skill, so there's no chance of dying before he gets it off, and it's guaranteed to nullify at least one attack. If the wall survives the round, the Bishop can reinforce the wall to increase it's strength. Similarly, multiple Bishops in your party using this skill can keep a powerful wall up through almost anything, though I got through the game just fine with using only one.

tl;dr - Magic Wall is a broken skill. Don't bring a Bishop only if you want some real challenge in your game.

El Fantastico on

edited June 2011
    Hmmm. What's a good front line race pick for a Bishop?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited June 2011
    I would actually move your Priest to the front (assuming he's a Dwarf). My Priest in my game leveled up as fast as the Thief, and wound up with the 2nd highest HP. He's also capable of wearing heavier armors like breastplates and iron shields, making him a bit more durable and meatier to take hits. Near the end of the game, his equipment options get limited, but he's still decent in the front if you can equip him with a Holy Mace or the Dwarven Arms (female dwarf hero quest). Once your Bishop gets Magic Wall, he's better off in the back because that's all he'll be doing every round ever.

El Fantastico on

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My party at the start:

Fighter Fighter Fighter
    Priest Mage Thief
    Ok, really my party was:
    Ninja Samurai Fighter
    Priest Mage Bishop

But I'm a special case. Namely, I'm insane.

Party at the end:

Ninja Lord Samurai
    Bishop Bishop Bishop

Although honestly I was going to move one or two of the Bishops over to Samurai eventually. With medium range weapons (most of the good ones) they can attack from the back row, and Samurai get more hit points than Bishops do.

Basically the Lord is a tank -- they get the best armor, and have the ability to bring attacks to themselves. The Samurai is pure damage -- they get a few very powerful swords, and the ability to hit the entire front row at once.

Bishops get an ability, Magic Wall, that is pretty darned vital later on -- it lets you ignore at least one attack, possibly more. There's some odd math with it -- but for the most part, at the cost of one character not doing anything, you won't take one hit. They also get all the magic in the game, so there is that to consider, too.

KiTA on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So is there any visual/audio character customization in the PSN game? That's gonna make or break the game for me.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »
    So is there any visual/audio character customization in the PSN game? That's gonna make or break the game for me.

Other then race/gender choice, no.

Magic Pink on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And two color choices for each.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited June 2011
    At least the alternate human female has an eyepatch. :P

El Fantastico on

edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Well then, I'm glad I didn't waste my money.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so that last boss of Shiin's is an asshole. It has a fuck you attack the likes of which I haven't seen since the PS2 remake of Romancing Saga. Time to grind for loot, I guess!

Princepeach on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does the game have any other boss encounters at all?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

You don't even see your characters outside the portraits on the sides of the screen though. There's literally nothing to customize.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited June 2011
    harvest wrote: »

You don't even see your characters outside the portraits on the sides of the screen though. There's literally nothing to customize.

One of my favorite parts of the old wizardry games was making my party. Being able to choose the face and the voice (and it was super cool the voices actually commented on stuff going on) was pretty important to me. Being stuck with a bunch of anime faces... and a dwarf who's tall and looks nothing like a dwarf... makes the game far less appealing to me.

Wishpig on

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    harvest wrote: »

One of my favorite parts of the old wizardry games was making my party. Being able to choose the face and the voice (and it was super cool the voices actually commented on stuff going on) was pretty important to me. Being stuck with a bunch of anime faces... and a dwarf who's tall and looks nothing like a dwarf... makes the game far less appealing to me.

I can only think of one Wizardy game that even did that.

Magic Pink on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Most of them didn't even have faces. I think only 7 and 8 did.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited June 2011

I can only think of one Wizardy game that even did that.

And I played it. And I loved it. They may have been little portraits but they had personality... they talked... they commented on things... and they felt like MY team (more so than even my icewinddale 2 crew!)

Being able to pick personality!? Fucking awesome.

Wishpig on

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got TWO Dragon Slayers on DoT B5. Feels good, man.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • RiddamRiddam Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible to get the game in EU yet?

Riddam on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not to my knowledge. Just import it? :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    How's that done then? Can I get access to the US PSN in Europe?

Riddam on
    edited June 2011
    Easily. Create a new account from the main menu, and say it's based in the US.

Congratulations, you have access to the US PSN.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    I see, thanks for that.

Riddam on
    edited June 2011
    So here's my issue.

I downloaded the Dungeon of Trials Unlock thingy, and it eventually opens up the Legendary Wines quest.

Where the hell are these wines? They just say Shiin's Dungeon, but I've already completely cleared it and don't feel like scouring the entire thing square-by-square--or worse, farming endlessly on every floor, not knowing who drops what--but I can't find anything helpful online. Anyone here got a clue?

Princepeach on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Riddam wrote: »
    I see, thanks for that.

Just remember, Euro PSN cards won't work for the US shop. You'll need a US code. Amazon US sells them digitally, so if you order one of those the code it gives you should work in the store.

Gilder on
    edited June 2011
    So here's my issue.

I downloaded the Dungeon of Trials Unlock thingy, and it eventually opens up the Legendary Wines quest.

Where the hell are these wines? They just say Shiin's Dungeon, but I've already completely cleared it and don't feel like scouring the entire thing square-by-square--or worse, farming endlessly on every floor, not knowing who drops what--but I can't find anything helpful online. Anyone here got a clue?

There are pre-requisite quest requirements. You must finish the Pori Pori Mushroom quest, which you won't finish until you've done at least part of F7 of the Dungeon of Trials. The wines will only show up once you've accepted the quest from the Palace after finishing the previous quest.

El Fantastico on

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    Riddam wrote: »
    I see, thanks for that.

Just remember, Euro PSN cards won't work for the US shop. You'll need a US code. Amazon US sells them digitally, so if you order one of those the code it gives you should work in the store.

It might also be a good idea to play US games on your US account in case of dlc problems. Or rather, to avoid them.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    edited June 2011
    So here's my issue.

There are pre-requisite quest requirements. You must finish the Pori Pori Mushroom quest, which you won't finish until you've done at least part of F7 of the Dungeon of Trials. The wines will only show up once you've accepted the quest from the Palace after finishing the previous quest.

I had already finished the Pori Pori quest and accepted Legendary Wines. I just didn't know if I was going to looking for random drops or finding a specific floor square. I figured it out though (it was the floor squares).

Princepeach on
    edited July 2011
    Sorry to double post, but I think this might be of interest.

I took the plunge and made an all Porklu party, and man, the drops keep on coming! I found 3 ice swords on the second floor (and I didn't even fully explore it) and I've had half a dozen black robes already. Maulers, Holy Maces, Power Boots, you name it. Funnily, it's those damn quest items (grim circlets, reagents) that still give me trouble.

It kind of makes me wanna not use anything but porkies ever again.

Princepeach on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ha thats awesome. I'll have to roll up some Porkies and add try that out.

krylon666 on
    edited July 2011
    It's somewhat irksome that there's no boss fights in the game, but as nasty as those random encounters can get on B5(Shiin), I'm not sure it needs them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I thought there were some boss fights? Maybe quest related?

krylon666 on
    edited July 2011
    Haven't seen any yet, and I'm at B5, aside from the occasional 'don't fight this unless you want to die' map encounter.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2011
    Boss fights at the end of the game actually.

Trophy spoilers:
    Ala Cadaver (Bronze) - Slay Ala Cabra
    Luxurious Anguish (Bronze) - Slay Luxuria Anguis
    Tempestus Wreckage (Bronze) - Slay Tempestus Rex

El Fantastico on

• DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is there any use for gold in this game? My bishop does most of the appraising.The shops do not seem to ever get anything new, and I am debating just emptying my coffers leveling my main guy through tithing. Is that a bad idea?

Detharin on