As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Luthon wrote: »
    Anyone else getting tired of "guest" characters in fighting games? It just seems so weird that they would do that for this one especially since its a versus game.

MarvelVSSH_7_1142367277.jpg?

Guest characters are fine by me as long as they're not lame and don't completely break the game. It's not like there's some carefully plotted story being presented, and even if there was, a character doesn't have to be in a fighting game story to be in the game.

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a crossover game. Half the entire cast is guest characters.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guest characters are fine as long as they fit thematically. Cole is a guy with super powers going around beating up bad guys in the streets of modern North American. Ryu is a guy with super powers (basically) who goes around fighting in streets and also exists in current day Earth. Kazuya is a martial artist turned corporate head with super powers (basically) who goes around beating the hell out of people while trying to kill his son and rule the world through corporate domination in current day Earth.

As opposed to the Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur, who fit neither the medieval Europe/feudal Japan setting nor the semi-realistic combat styles of past SC combatants. There were some exceptions regarding that last part, but most came later in the series, as opposed to being there from the beginning.

Though as a side note; Tekken is apeshit fucking crazy and has no limit on the wft-ness of it's characters so the series might be a bad example for thematic consistency among it's cast.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What, are you saying that a bear fighting a wooden dummy is not thematically consistent in tekken.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, the only exclusive characters for the 360 I can think of would be Marcus Fenix (meh) or Master Chief (ugh). In my world, Kaim Argonar (Lost Odyssey) would be my choice, but that's why I'm not in the gaming business. I'm too much of a nerd.

If Master Chief makes it but Iron Jack doesn't, I might have to rage.

Morvidus on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't assume that because one console gets an exclusive character the other automatically will as well. Look at MK9.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it just me or does this look very snk vs capcom?

Tommatt on
    edited June 2011
    Some footage with mechanic commentary from Maximilian (he does MvC3 and a bit of Black Ops stuff):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf1NEVnAHhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zjOHTsW3g4

The comment that the game reminds him somewhat of Project Justice has me giddy. Every time I see stuff on SFxT, I get more excited about the game.

Fig-D on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There was an article over on event hubs about the people hidden in the trailer. Dhalsim, Lili, Asuka and Steve. And Seth let Jin slip during an interview. But he was sort of expected.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/jun/08/closer-look-hidden-characters-sfxts-e3-trailer/

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That dinosaur stage background makes me pine so hard for Alex to be in this. Fighting games need more poorly rendered Velociraptors.

BloodySloth on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm happy about Lili. They just need to add Karin and my Team will be complete.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skab wrote: »
    There was an article over on event hubs about the people hidden in the trailer. Dhalsim, Lili, Asuka and Steve. And Seth let Jin slip during an interview. But he was sort of expected.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/jun/08/closer-look-hidden-characters-sfxts-e3-trailer/

This game won't be complete if they don't annouce Zangief and Kuma.

Seriously, the Red Cyclone wrestling a bear who can fight back. This has to happen!

T-Danger on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some E3 videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7woPsyV5YI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3SzbWVcpAU&feature=player_embedded

Having said that, I noticed there's no real Tekken6 or Tekken Tag 2 thread. I know the T6 netcode is kind of meh, but I've had some very playable games on xbl. Is there anyone else that also plays casual Tekk on 360 and is there any interest for a dedicated Tekken 6 thread?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited June 2011
    I have Tekken 6, and I have people to play it offline with, and I have played it online (it's really bad), but I also have a lot of trouble keeping my eyes open while playing it. Plus, my gold subscription must be up by now. Or maybe next month.

There was a TTT2 thread. But this seems to be the only place on the internet that isn't overjoyed at the 6 billion different Tekken announcements.

But I might play it with you a bit if we can set up times.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited June 2011
    Well, I do have a local scene as well for Tekk, but I'm also trying to really learn the game, and I don't always have offline access to my friends who play. If It's not something you enjoy playing then don't worry about playing it with me, I'm still at scrub level anyway.

I'm mainly trying to gauge interest to see if we have any more players for Tekken 6 who might be planning to play TTT2 when it comes out. And since that's still a ways off, why not get used to the system and learn T6 in preparation for next years new version?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited June 2011
    The general apathetic feeling towards tekken on these boards kinda surprised me at first actually. :lol:

Antihippy on
    edited June 2011
    Strangely enough, I only really started to understand tekken after playing SF4 and MvC3. SF for the importance of spacing and whiff punishing, as well as the different aspects of wakeup. And MvC3 for the concept of OTG's.

Strange but true.

Hiryu02 on
    edited June 2011
    Well that's true for almost every 3D fighting game.

Too bad most people just go "lol juggles".

Antihippy on
    edited June 2011
    I'm sure I was a lol juggle guy at first too. Then again, until you start understanding footsies/zoning, SF looks like a lot of walking back and forth, while sticking out random moves, and furious bouts of nonsensical projectile throwing.

Hiryu02 on
  • ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd be willing to learn tekken 6 but i'm a ps3 guy

ThePrimm on
    edited June 2011
    The PS3 is actually the preferred system for Tekken, owing to the superior d-pad. I'm very much an anomaly in that I'm playing on 360 and on stick.

Hiryu02 on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, are SF x Tekken and Tekken x SF coming out at the same time? I haven't seen anything about Tekken x SF yet, and I'm interested to see how the Street Fighter people handle in the 3D movement plane.

Wasn't there already a 3D Street Fighter game, but it stunk?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited June 2011
    People liked SF Ex, I dunno too much about that series though.

Tekken vs SF is not even being made at the moment as far as I know. Tekken team focusing on Tekken Tag 2.

Antihippy on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's been no news about Tekken X Street Fighter other than that it's a thing that's going to happen some time.

It's a bit like Capcom vs. SNK where there were two Capcom produced fighters before SNK finally came out with SVC: Chaos.

And I apologize for the complete lack of updates on the OP. I probably shouldn't have started the thread. I'm happy to ask a mod to lock it down if someone who's following the news on this wants to make a new one.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited June 2011
    I think we'll be okay the way it is. I can try and link news etc for the games as they come up. I'm also down for regular Tekk6 discussion here, as we don't have a dedicated Tekken thread.

Hiryu02 on
    edited June 2011
    Well then, do we necro those old threads or do we just build on this one?

Hiryu02 on
    edited June 2011
    Well, the TTT2 thread ain't that old. :P

I was just joking. Post where you want. Though the tekken 6 community on penny arcade is incredibly small.

Antihippy on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tekken was popular in Tennessee when I lived there, plenty of people playing BR at the arcade and somewhat lively ranbats. I haven't heard even a whisper about it until all of the pro Tekken players started owning everyone at Mortal Kombat 9. If you have the PS3 version of Tekken 6 we can play Hiryu, or if I can find the 360 version for $10-$15.

Walt on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah it's actually come full circle here in Memphis. When I started fight nights, it was a tekken town and I was told SF would never take off. Now we have ranbats every two weeks for SF and MvC3, while I'm somewhat trying to revive the Tekken scene again.

I'm still playing SF, just not in super competitive mode until Yun and Fei get patched.

Hiryu02 on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can't say Tekken has ever been popular among my friends, only 2 guys really play it and I wouldn't say they're the greatest at it. As far as 3D games go we're more into Soul Cal and DoA(haven't played this one in a while either because of no update).

I would be willing to get into Tekken but I don't really have anyone to teach me and I'm not really super thirsty to learn the game so I can't say I want to go out of my way for it.

Dragkonias on
    edited June 2011
    God I want a new proper DoA so bad.

Tekken is far more popular in the East than West I'd say, including australia. Over here it's around 50-50 compared to SF4 the last time I've played.

Antihippy on
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Can't say Tekken has ever been popular among my friends, only 2 guys really play it and I wouldn't say they're the greatest at it. As far as 3D games go we're more into Soul Cal and DoA(haven't played this one in a while either because of no update).

I would be willing to get into Tekken but I don't really have anyone to teach me and I'm not really super thirsty to learn the game so I can't say I want to go out of my way for it.

Thing is, Tekk actually is one of the best FG's out there. The Koreans are almost as crazy about Tekk as they are Starcraft. Youtube "Tekken Crash season 7" and you'll see what I mean.

I'm planning to play TTT2 and Tekk X SF when they come out, which was why i decided to start really learning the game. I can teach basics and shit like that if you ever wanted to sit down and have some online matches assuming our connection was decent on xbl.

Hiryu02 on
    edited June 2011
    While TTT2 may be fun, and I'm hoping it is, and Tekken 6 may be balanced -- and I know it is -- there's this annoying thing about the way they're balanced. There are way too many characters, but in order to promote balance they've given them all pretty much the same tools, which ends up with most of them functionally almost the same, and it makes it boring.

Plus, while I have been lol juggles since forever, it's never been because of balance. Every time I try to learn Tekken I have to go into practice mode and work on juggles and I get so bored so fast. If I could just play the game it would be better, which is why I mostly stick to local stuff when the Tekken players are around. Like, I may enter the Tekken 6 tourney on Saturday even though I'm going for Mortal Kombat and Soulcalibur.

But, yeah, I'll play with whoever, for a bit. I may enjoy it, I may not.

Page- on
    stream
    edited June 2011
    I'm going to politely differ on some points. While yes, each character is functionally similar, on a intermediate to advanced level the differences become very apparent. Miguel has nasty frame traps, Chreddy has the 50/50 setups, Mishimas EWGF you to death, Lee outpokes you etc.

Playing King vs playing Dragunov feels WAY different to me.

Of course certain aspects will be similar, punishment and spacing/whiff punishing is always important, as well as knowing how to move properly. Etc.

I think to say that all the characters are functionally the same is a bit inaccurate. Its like saying all SF characters are the same because they all have the same number of button attacks etc.

And as far as juggles go, not all characters get the majority of their damage from them. Armor King comes to mind. He's more poke and punishment-based imo, with really good wall carry.

Hiryu02 on
    edited June 2011
    Not all the characters get all their damage from juggles, you can say, but all the characters are expected to have the same general heavy punishment options. There are differences, but they've all got that basic launcher that's about the same speed -- with the exceptions that prove the rule -- and even if the exact function isn't always there, it feels like the intent is. In the end a lot of the character differences seem more like trivia than uniqueness.

But I spend a fair bit of time hanging with jaded former Tekken players. And I think Tekken has way too many characters. I believe it would be a more enjoyable game if the roster was cut in half and each character was made 100% distinct from the others. That's my own fault.

Page- on
    stream
    edited June 2011
    Nah, it's just different preferences. Try explaining to a newschool player who didn't play any SF before 4 why VF is awesome.

Hiryu02 on
    edited June 2011
    I don't really play locally, ever, so whether or not I stick with a fighter for very long depends entirely on the quality of the netcode. KOFXII, T6, and SCIV all disappointed on this front, so despite my desire to learn the games I ended up selling them off early. If TTT2 changes this, I'll pick it up and try to relearn Tekken online with others like myself. Same for SCV and KOFXIII.

I don't have this fear with SFxT because Capcom has proven with SFIV and Marvel that their online, while not perfect, is decent enough for me to get some enjoyable games out of it.

Fig-D on
    edited June 2011
    Understandable on the netcode. I play online just because I have to at this point. However, I have had green bar matches that were actually really smooth, SF-level. It's too bad none of the people I had a good connection to wanted to stay in a lobby for more than a game or 3.

Hiryu02 on
    edited June 2011
    I had the PS3 version of T6. I played about 6 or 7 matches, none of them were anywhere near playable, much less enjoyable.

All of my matches were 3 or 4 bar, all of them were like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqfsHdNZCK0

Looks like there's been a patch since, but I ended up selling the game off pretty quickly.

Fig-D on