As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Try Team Fortress 2 for free this week, see what all the fuss is about - Uber Update!

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It was like a neverending universe of hurt. Wouldn't be so bad if soldiers wouldn't take time from their busy schedules of dealing with the entire enemy team in front of them ripe for the killing to instakill this blind spy behind them.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • peticanoepeticanoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think a flame turret would be a neat addition to the engineer's tool box of tricks.

peticanoe on
    comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
    what's the deal with nerds and cthulu
    when C'thulhu rises all those jocks will finally get what's coming to them
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah, there's a ton of neat engi things they could do
    and it's prob my favorite class

redfenix on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All I care about is new heavy weapons and new pyro weapons

That is it

And the new heavy weapons look awesome so hopefully today will have some pyro stuff

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    peticanoe wrote: »
    I think a flame turret would be a neat addition to the engineer's tool box of tricks.

It could be like a sprinkler, except with fire

Essentially just the pyro's flamethrower plugged into a dispenser and eternally firing and spinning

The Spyfucker 9000

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    peticanoe wrote: »

It could be like a sprinkler, except with fire

Essentially just the pyro's flamethrower plugged into a dispenser and eternally firing and spinning

The Spyfucker 9000

I was thinking of a minisentry that did no damage but set enemies on fire. But that'll either be overpowered or useless depending on if the other team has Pyros/Medics.

Blurbl on
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's so many ways to deal with fire now, an actual mini-sentry seems vastly superior.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    edited June 2011
    how bout a pyro secondary that is a bucket of pitch
    gives minicrits to fire damage

redfenix on
    edited June 2011
    and a melee pillow
    so you can tar and feather them

redfenix on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    it'd be neat if there was some way for pyros to set fire to objects or locations

Nerdgasmic on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It'd be neat if afterburn could still kill other classes.

Aneurhythmia on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    I've already given up on that pipe dream, ann

Nerdgasmic on
  • LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    basically just combine the pros of each flamethrower and throw out the cons

Lokiamis on
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes, finally. Someone gets the pyro.

Valve! Hire this man!

Huntera on
    edited June 2011
    Hell, if they just made the backburner detection half as good as the backstab detection, you might have something going on.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited June 2011
    remove explosive vulnerability on the detonator then duct tape it to the shotgun so pyros can use both at the same time

Lokiamis on
    edited June 2011
    Afterburn used to be decent before every class in the game got a counter to it.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hell, if they just made the backburner detection half as good as the backstab detection, you might have something going on.

I think it's not that the detection is different than the knife's, it's that they intentionally gave it a much smaller arc that counts for the crits. The knife feels closer to 180 degrees, the backburner feels more like a 90-45 degree arc.
    Zay wrote: »
    Afterburn used to be decent before every class in the game got a counter to it.

Yeah that's how I feel about it too. They should increase the afterburn damage dramatically so that it's more important to put it out, which so many people can actually do now.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited June 2011

I think it's not that the detection is different than the knife's, it's that they intentionally gave it a much smaller arc that counts for the crits. The knife feels closer to 180 degrees, the backburner feels more like a 90-45 degree arc.

Yeah, I was referring to the range of detection. The backburner's is narrow enough that angles that visually read as nothing but back on a stationary target will still not count for crit. Though I think it's further exacerbated by how the netcode handles melee and all that.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited June 2011
    Didn't they also lower the damage in one of the patches, even after it became barely a threat because of all the ways to remove it, because it "raised the skill ceiling for the pyro" or some such silliness?

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know, I thought I was doing shit for damage as a pyro

Even with the backburner, I was not killing like I used to kill

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2011
    Zay wrote: »
    Didn't they also lower the damage in one of the patches, even after it became barely a threat because of all the ways to remove it, because it "raised the skill ceiling for the pyro" or some such silliness?

they though w+m1 pyros were too effective

Lokiamis on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sirtoons was owning too much basically

also this game man

my computer can handle most other games, but tf2 i think i'll have to lower the settings or something

i mean, i understand how it has become unoptimized with all the updates and stuff

but bleh

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yeah, I was referring to the range of detection. The backburner's is narrow enough that angles that visually read as nothing but back on a stationary target will still not count for crit. Though I think it's further exacerbated by how the netcode handles melee and all that.

Yep. A backburner with more generous detection would be just what the doctor ordered

Failing that, remove its airblast and make the alt-fire a crit-on-demand burst of flame that eats through your ammo really damn fast

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited June 2011
    Airblasting is so much fun though. I love timing it so you don't even see the rocket and the soldier explodes.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    edited June 2011
    Maybe not even crit. Maybe just a faster burn with, y'know, at least as much DPS as the fucking shotgun.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    You should wait for the current thread to get locked before posting another or it'll piss off the mods.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Buff Volcano Shard so all fire damage is dealt with minicrits when held. That is probably the best way to make effective melee weapons for classes, give them roles outside of direct combat. Like the new scout bat, more of a mobility utility tool than an actual weapon.

I don't remember if people figured out what community made suggestions were gonna be used for the Pyro. I know the Soldier still has some junkyard-themed items incoming.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    redfenix wrote: »
    yeah, there's a ton of neat engi things they could do
    and it's prob my favorite class

I want a gun that shoots a capsule into an enemy's chest and if it kills them, a mini-sentry sprouts from the corpse like a chestbursting alien.

OR I want the ability to turn corpses into walking cyborg sentries.

And a hat that is a sentry.

I want more sentries is what I'm saying.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I keep saying it, but the Soldier needs heat seeking rockets to make him an effective teammate for the Pyro.

As far as the engineer goes...

this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2jlLjlC1o

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the soldier needs a shotgun replacement that automatically uploads all footage of any airshots you get overlaid with pendulum to youtube

i think i could make use of it very well

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I keep saying it, but the Soldier needs heat seeking rockets to make him an effective teammate for the Pyro.

I like this idea. Have the rockets not full on follow anyone on fire, but instead sort of gently curve their path towards any on-fire enemies. Maybe use a target selecting method similar to the scottish resistance if there are multiple people on fire, or perhaps you want to aim at someone who isn't on fire.

To balance it out the rockets could travel like 10% slower than the default rockets or something. Maybe reduce the damage the rocket does by a bit. Or even go so far as to have the rockets do 50% damage to unlit targets, 100% to lit ones.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

As far as the engineer goes...

this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2jlLjlC1o

This guys models are usually really good but his animations are always just so amateur by comparison.

Fugitive on
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Uber Update day 3 is up! As someone who enjoys playing soldier, I just have to say YES. YESSSSSS.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »
    i was playing this for the first time in forever and all the loadout and backpack icons were super tiny and the menus were acting all janky

anyone know whats up or how to fix it?
    Make sure that you're not setting mat_antialias in any of your cfg scripts. If you're using a performance config that might be the problem.

i appreciate the help but this is all greek to me

i'm just on default settings

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just want to say

The Disciplinary Action delights me.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hooray people who post in Polycount's TF2 thread getting items in-game!

Boo none of those people being me.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yessssssss. love that update.

Angry on
    edited June 2011
    mantreads haha

redfenix on
This discussion has been closed.