As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conan! What is Best in Life?

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After my parents put the kabosh on comics when I was a kid, it was a couple of decades before I decided to give 'em a try again. One of the first things I picked up was some trades of the really old Conan stuff and I've been hooked since (although some of the art is truly terrible and gets better later). I also picked a collection of Howard's original stories. The guy just knew how to weave a good fantasy story. Conan is just a proto-man, who does what he wants and has the smarts and brawn to back it up.

I liked the Arnold movies, but in some ways they just haven't aged well, especially the special effects. Plus, there just wasn't nearly enough blood. This new movie promises to deliver on the necessary level of gore if dudes are going to be hacking and slashing each other to pieces. This story deserves to be told in an R rated format. I'm glad the movie studios aren't being pussies about it this time around.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw this thread title and thought "Oh, a Conan O'Brien thread. Neat!"

Me too :(

godmode on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    also, I never read the conan comics but from what I can tell by opening to random pages, he is always throwing someone off of or into something

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a dude from Stargate: Atlantis in this new movie!

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really like that they're using Mamoa cause Howard was a big 'ole racist with his buttbuddy Lovecraft

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Howard lived in the same area of Texas I kind of grew up in, so when he writes about scenery a lot of it is exactly what I grew up in. I can drive through the Hill Country or the lakes of the Brownwood area and see the wilderness of Cimmeria.

GRMike on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You guys were talking about when these stories take place

The original script for the movie had it set in the distant future, so maybe that's what some of you were thinking of

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the distant future, the year 2000

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The world is quite different after the ape-man uprising of the late 90s

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »

NQYoP.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    Pretty stoked about the casting decision. That guy's awesome. He was one of the few things I actually liked about SG: Atlantis.

However, from watching the trailers, it doesn't feel like the original Conan. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but I hope that all the dialogue I've heard from him is no less than 2/3 the character's dialogue in the whole film. One of the things I really liked about the original was how literally it seemed to take the whole "show, don't tell" rule.

I remember watching Conan the Barbarian with the director's commentary on, John Milius had a great big ole hard-on for nailing down the style and feel of what the Cimmerian Camelpuncher was really like. One thing that stuck out during the whole movie was where Milius described Conan as a thinker, not a philospher, but the kind of person who looks at a situation and turns it over and over and tries to imagine where it will take him in a year, a decade or the rest of his life. Because of that, he didn't feel the need for extensive exponential dialogue from the character; Conan did what he wanted, but he actually thought about what he wanted.

This scene here was deleted from the film entirely; some of it is forced, some of it is straight-up Bad Arnold Acting, but there's a genuine and earnest quality to it when you take it in context with the rest of the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpByy-F_WA

When I watched this scene for the first time, I was kind of amazed that it got cut at all; it nails down the gravity and weight of this man's existence, that thing that's been in the back of your head the whole movie, but never really gets mentioned.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I find a thread dedicated to one of my favorite characters in books/comics/movies ever. Sup?

edit: and the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack is one of my favorite albums ever, that music fit that movie so well

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

NQYoP.jpg

No, that's the not-too-distant future.

DUH.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

we are robots

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I'm not really optimistic about the movie at all, but fuck

it's fucking conan

I'm gonna see it anyway

Word. That's really all there is to say about it.

I hope the music in the movie is better than in the trailer.

Edit: Some guy named Tyler Bates is doing the music it seems. His IMDB page doesn't give me much hope.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

NQYoP.jpg

No, that's the not-too-distant future.

DUH.

Yes, 2000 was not-too-distant then.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Clash of the Titans trailer had some shitty The Used song but the actual score was, you know, orchestra stuff, so I'm sure this will do the same

Never mind that Clash was still a bad movie

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    Pretty stoked about the casting decision. That guy's awesome. He was one of the few things I actually liked about SG: Atlantis.

However, from watching the trailers, it doesn't feel like the original Conan. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but I hope that all the dialogue I've heard from him is no less than 2/3 the character's dialogue in the whole film. One of the things I really liked about the original was how literally it seemed to take the whole "show, don't tell" rule.

I remember watching Conan the Barbarian with the director's commentary on, John Milius had a great big ole hard-on for nailing down the style and feel of what the Cimmerian Camelpuncher was really like. One thing that stuck out during the whole movie was where Milius described Conan as a thinker, not a philospher, but the kind of person who looks at a situation and turns it over and over and tries to imagine where it will take him in a year, a decade or the rest of his life. Because of that, he didn't feel the need for extensive exponential dialogue from the character; Conan did what he wanted, but he actually thought about what he wanted.

This scene here was deleted from the film entirely; some of it is forced, some of it is straight-up Bad Arnold Acting, but there's a genuine and earnest quality to it when you take it in context with the rest of the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpByy-F_WA

When I watched this scene for the first time, I was kind of amazed that it got cut at all; it nails down the gravity and weight of this man's existence, that thing that's been in the back of your head the whole movie, but never really gets mentioned.

That is actually a rather nice scene, I agree

But I can see why it was cut

The rest of the movie has so little dialogue from Conan, to hear him reminisce and lament his situation out of nowhere would be a little jarring

It's a good moment, but you'd need at least one other like it in the film for it to not seem out of place, I think

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's too early to be freaking out about the music in the trailer. Trailers usually have music that's never used in the film. The film could still suck balls, but stop complaining about the music until we actually know what's in the film.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's too early to be freaking out about the music in the trailer. Trailers usually have music that's never used in the film. The film could still suck balls, but stop complaining about the music until we actually know what's in the film.

You are right, but it's less funny when you are the voice of reason in a thread because I can't possibly make an old man joke out of this post.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    get off my lawn K!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    now that I think about it, I'm not really one for the "Dru is old" jokes anyway

I'm actually getting quite old by the standards of these boards myself

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey, K
    who's gay?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I, for one, am fucking riveted to hear what the composer of Army of Two: 40th Day has created for this obviously very original and exciting take on the Conan the Barbarian.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This reminds me I need to get more Conan books to read, especially with my trip coming up next week.

Hopefully I don't go on a swords and sorcery rampage in the middle of Disneyworld.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zoom

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Watching Conan with the Director + Arnold commentary is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86-vveE9DI4

Also, those musicals are pretty great.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited June 2011

There was a period quite a few years ago where it seemed like every other movie was using Stargate music in the trailer.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    wiki says:
    The various stories of Conan the Barbarian occur in the fictional "Hyborian Age", set after the destruction of Atlantis and before the rise of the known ancient civilizations. This is a specific epoch in a fictional timeline created by Howard for many of the low fantasy tales of his artificial legendary.

Ah, right. I knew it was the end of something. Probably thinking of Thundar.

Melding on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

The original script for the movie had it set in the distant future, so maybe that's what some of you were thinking of

Are you talking about this movie or the original? I read that Stone had written the original as set in the future as well.

I think that's silly honestly. I prefer the low fantasy setting in our fictional past tangled up with his Kull stuff and Lovecraft shit.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, that Conan musical is what is best in life.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm surprised nobody's ever made a John Carter of Mars film

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They are making one. Supposed to come out next year.

edit:

You probably mean up to this point, though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    arnold commentaries are hilarious, i've listened to the Total Recall one

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Are you talking about this movie or the original? I read that Stone had written the original as set in the future as well.

I think that's silly honestly. I prefer the low fantasy setting in our fictional past tangled up with his Kull stuff and Lovecraft shit.

The original, sorry
    And yeah, I much prefer the past setting

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah the idea of Conan being a barbarian in a distant future is dumb.

Mostly because they already did a movie like that and it was called Yor: Hunter of the Future.

It is the worst.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Plus we would have to endure the obligatory scene where the hero discovers the ruins of some metropolis.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wouldn't have to.

Maybe he just finds the head of an important statue, like on the beach or something.

Melding on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    but volyu, that guy is obviously the man

Shock G on