As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flashpoint : Age of Zoompocalypse

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It was really harmless and anyone who actually got mad about it is a silly goose

Oh yeah certainly, but DC did the right thing to change it

No reason to keep it as it was, and when people complain about this kind of issue if all you need to do to mollify them is change one word then you'd be silly not to.

Solar on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    That seems like a very lateral move.

Like, I guess there aren't any orangutans or chimpanzees there now?

But Orangutans aren't from Africa.

Besides Gorillas are apes so it's not like that change really makes things wildly different.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    huh. wasnt expecting that for the ending to flashpoint 2.

Man. I did not expect that either. Without being too specific, it's going to be interesting how they'll handle it next issue...

Sharp101 on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    huh. wasnt expecting that for the ending to flashpoint 2.

Man. I did not expect that either. Without being too specific, it's going to be interesting how they'll handle it next issue...
    Reverse Flash has been using the negative speed force to conjure up all kinds of wacky new powers. Maybe Thawnes costume in Barrys ring is a hint at a reversal of who has which speed force?

Edit: ...and he might be able to heal himself. Probably shoulda mentioned that.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That was hilarious

Furu on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I know.

Like, goddamn. Well played, Johns.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Like, goddamn. Well played, Johns.

Johns is really on the top of his game so far with Flashpoint. Two issues down and I'm hella impressed.

On a related note, can someone give me a brief rundown on what Secret Seven is? I flipped through the first few pages of the book and did not recognize any of the characters, so I passed on it. Does it have anything to do with Secret Six? Or what is it?

Lucascraft on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's about Doctor Thirteen's daughter.

that probably doesn't help you any.

Algertman on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's about Shade the Changing Man and DC's magic heroes who aren't Captain Marvel/Thunder or Zatanna.

So no, it's not the Secret Six.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    It's about Doctor Thirteen's daughter.

that probably doesn't help you any.

No, that's Flashpoint: World of Flashpoint

Garlic Bread on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I felt Flashpoint #2 was all over the place in terms of pacing and felt very dull and generic until the last 6 or so pages, the ending was good and one of those "don't try this at home, kids" PSA's. It did the same thing I didn't care for in Fear Itself or Blackest Night doing, which was purposely bringing up a page or two of a tie-in book just to acknowledge that a tie-in exists.

I think we're going to see the golden lasso effect with word balloons carry over into the future stories, it's actually a neat idea.

TexiKen on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The ending was hilarious

Like, come on, Barry, what did you really expect

Crimson King on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Clearly, Barry forgot he needed Mopee.

Munch on
    edited June 2011
    As far as the possible amazonian spy, does anyone think, just for DC to be cute with character history, it's
    Lana Lang?

TexiKen on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the ending morbidly hilarious.

I picked up all the tie-ins, and enjoyed them all...except Secret Seven. Honestly, I found it kind of a chore to read. The art is also just super dated looking and unappealing to me, despite being technically well done. Think I'm gonna be skipping the rest.

Favorite tie-in was probably World of Flashpoint. I thought it did a good job balancing being a look at the world and having it's own story.

LockedOnTarget on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I also lol'd at the end. And I also enjoyed...
    How pirate deathstroke showed up just to be slaughtered by aquaman two pages later. I'm still interested in his tie-in, but that is definitely one I will be trade-waiting now. It's funny that he died a weak before his book even came out. You think they would've launched his tie-in the first week; now it just seems inessential.

HadjiQuest on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He
    never died. It showed Aquaman sentencing his death but not killing him. One of the issues of Deathstroke has him and Aquaman at each others throats, so he probably escapes.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2011
    He
    never died. It showed Aquaman sentencing his death but not killing him. One of the issues of Deathstroke has him and Aquaman at each others throats, so he probably escapes.

Ahh, fancy.

Still,
    What are the odds he will turn up in the main series again?

Of course I know that because I said this he will show up in issue 3 and I will look like a fool.

HadjiQuest on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok, so I'm in the process of getting fully caught up with whats going on in the DC world, and should start reading Flashpoint as a whole real soon.

But I've heard so many good things about Knight of Vengeance I had to pick it up... am I right in guessing
    Bruce was shot, not his father, and Thomas Wayne is actually Batman?

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    edited June 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm in the process of getting fully caught up with whats going on in the DC world, and should start reading Flashpoint as a whole real soon.

But I've heard so many good things about Knight of Vengeance I had to pick it up... am I right in guessing
    Bruce was shot, not his father, and Thomas Wayne is actually Batman?

Yes.

HadjiQuest on
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My buddy who has tomorrow's comics says Emperor Aquaman and Frankenstein are the tie-ins to check out.

RedDelicious on
    edited June 2011
    My buddy who has tomorrow's comics says Emperor Aquaman and Frankenstein are the tie-ins to check out.

Super badass, those are the two I planned on grabbing.

Well, along with Booster Gold. Every week is a good comic week with these tie-ins; the universe/event gives the writers a lot of material and a lot of freedom, the three issue and done format gives the stories a strong focus, and the pure quantity of them means there is something for every comic reader each week.

Flashpoint is really events comics done right. I saw all my friends reading singles when Countdown to Infinite Crisis/OMAC started and I was jealous, and then Civil War took over these forums with those "I'm with... " banners a couple years after, and I was even more jealous.

I'm really happy to be reading singles now. This is what I want from the monthly/weekly experience.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2011
    Aquaman was pretty good, but I'm starting to feel like Bedard's writing is kind of dry and overly-expository these days. He chopped up the chronological order to make it a little more interesting, but instead things just felt kind of disconnected.

Frankenstein was pretty bad ass, but I'm more excited to see what happens once it's all set up and then into the regular ongoing coming with the relaunch.

HadjiQuest on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I actually didn't think the Aquaman story was dry at all. I thought it had a good mix of conspiracy and political intrigue. The first issue was obviously not meant to be an action book, so maybe the dryness that you felt is just because the story wasn't really meant to be a thriller.

The book seems to be more about the politics behind the war. The why of it all. As in why Aquaman is fighting against Diana and why he sunk Western Europe.

Also, as a person who has really come to appreciate Mera due to her role in Blackest Night and Brightest Day, I was really sad to see her fate in this issue. She has quickly become one of my favorite DC characters.

Lucascraft on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aquaman wasn't bad but every scene was so disconnected chronologically it made my head spin
    Frankenstein and Captain Cold were awesome

COLD SNAP! COLD SNAP!

Tairu on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good Christ, did anyone else pick up Legion of Doom? I actually threw it in the garbage when I was done.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Good Christ, did anyone else pick up Legion of Doom? I actually threw it in the garbage when I was done.

What was wrong with it?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2011
    I thought it was okay. Not sure where that reaction is coming from.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to know why Legion of Doom is bad as well.

Trashcan comics are the worst of the worst, so it always interests me what grinds peoples gears. I can only think of three that I've ever trashcanned: Superman #701, New Avengers #16, and X-Men #106.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    My only guess is he didn't like the last scene:
    Heatwave has Cluemaster smuggle something into prison for him...the book ends with Plastic Man(evil in this universe apparently) literally crawling out of Cluemaster's mouth. It was pretty gross.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited June 2011
    I thought the writing was terrible. I thought the art was terrible. And I literally could not believe that the last page went to print. Essentially, it was like a hideous mishmash of all the stereotypically bad DC stuff.
    Also, after Booster Gold discussed the fact that the United States has no flying superheroes in the Flashpoint universe, I thought it was pretty weird that Firestorm and Cyborg looked, at least, to be flying around.

I mean, I guess mileage will vary? The concept is intriguing but it was such a woefully dismal presentation. It was distasteful, ham-fisted, hyper violent garbage. Or so I thought! Maybe you won't!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Here's previews for next week's Flashpoint stories: The Outsider, Lois Lane & The Resistance, Kid Flash Lost, and Reverse-Flash.

Owenashi on
    edited June 2011
    I don't know what books you guys picked up this week, but Wonder Woman was really, really good.

Grodd, on the other hand, was entirely pointless.

Wonder Woman told the parts of the WW/Aquaman story that I had expected to be told by the Aquaman book, and it told them very well.

And now we know that
    The whole war has been orchestrated by Orm (as hinted last week in Aquaman), Artemis, and some other Amazon whose name starts with a P that I am not familiar with.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2011
    I really liked Wonder Woman as well.

I enjoyed the Grodd one. It wasn't important or anything but I thought it was a nice little one shot.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited June 2011
    That Lois Lane preview makes Lois look rather........buxom, even with the fashion show backdrop.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    It looks like the Reverse Flash issue is the originally solicited issue 13 of The Flash, that finishes up Reverse Flash's origin from Issue 8.

Pretty excited to read that, even if Johns handed it off to Kollins to write it.

HadjiQuest on
    edited June 2011
    I really liked Wonder Woman as well.

I enjoyed the Grodd one. It wasn't important or anything but I thought it was a nice little one shot.

I thought Grodd was awesome. Good scene-setting for what's to come in the main series, I presume.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I get the feeling that all of the minis are leading to a climactic final battle
    I mean, just judging from the solicits, it seems that everyone is getting a secret weapon or having a huge battle in Europe

Tairu on
    edited June 2011
    Kid Flash was rather generic, and I don't care to pick up the second issue. It kind of lost me when
    a third of the issue is a dream, and then on top of it Brainiac shows up. Back to the Future idea or not, it doesn't interest me

Lois Lane was good, and worth continuing despite the cheesecake art, and the Amazons are complete jerks. however I'm still confused about the main point of the Aquaman/WW war:
    If the Amazons took over the UK for their new Themescryia, why did Aquaman flood continental Europe instead of sending the flood the other way? Even with the Amazons doing something to UK to change its appearance a wave that can get all the way to Paris could still do some damage trying to get to London.

TexiKen on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Lois Lane was good, and worth continuing despite the cheesecake art, and the Amazons are complete jerks. however I'm still confused about the main point of the Aquaman/WW war:
    If the Amazons took over the UK for their new Themescryia, why did Aquaman flood continental Europe instead of sending the flood the other way? Even with the Amazons doing something to UK to change its appearance a wave that can get all the way to Paris could still do some damage trying to get to London.
    I haven't read the issues but isn't the entire point of the war that Arthur and Diana are being tricked by people they trust and family no less in the form of Diana's aunt and Ocean Master? I'm sure OM gave Arthur some sort of reason for taking out Europe along the lines of the Amazons secretly building up more forces there or cutting them off from nearby land while at the same time giving the Atlantians more water to hide and surround the UK with. If Arthur's taking Mera's death hard, he probably didn't even need a lie that could hold water under scrutiny.

Owenashi on