As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahab and Mars Relationship [Chat] Power Hour!

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    m3nace wrote: »
    Turns out the company just gives away 60" TVs to high ranking employees.
    I have a new goal in life.
    edit: wait what the f... how did that suddenly become about psp's...

I thought I shouldn't be writing about other people's company perks on the internet. BUT SINCE YOU BROUGHT IT UP!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tam... I can't get enough of Radiolab, it is f'n fantastic. Thank you sir.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, I love radiolab. I have listened to every show at least twice and am now going through old podcasts of theirs. So good.

acadia on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When I first discovered radiolab, I listened to basically all of the episodes ever made in a matter of weeks.

Now I am sad because there is no more radiolab to devour. I must subsist on lesser podcasts. Stuff You Should Know is puerile and insipid by comparison.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought I shouldn't be writing about other people's company perks on the internet. BUT SINCE YOU BROUGHT IT UP!!!
    What the devil are you on about?

m3nace on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    guys how much does a ticket to SDCC cost? theyve been sold out forever Im just curious.

I got a freind going as a vendor who might be able to get me an extra badge to sit at his booth. Vendor badges are kinda pricey so I was just trying to compare.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it normal to commission a simple, color illustration of a single character from somebody and, a month later, still not see so much as a sketch from that person?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    guys how much does a ticket to SDCC cost? theyve been sold out forever Im just curious.

I got a freind going as a vendor who might be able to get me an extra badge to sit at his booth. Vendor badges are kinda pricey so I was just trying to compare.

$105.00 for 4 days.

They're putting the refunded passes up soon. Day passes were.. 37$?

Next year try for a professional pass. Free.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it normal to commission a simple, color illustration of a single character from somebody and, a month later, still not see so much as a sketch from that person?

You should always get a time-quote from an artist, even if all they give is a rough estimate. I've had artists who have worked in a week timeframe and ones who have worked in a years timeline.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Normal as in the person has probably flaked on you, which is sadly par for the course with a lot of artists.

Next time around make sure to specify you want to see a sketch first at least within a week of starting the project.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »

Normal as in the person has probably flaked on you, which is sadly par for the course with a lot of artists.

Next time around make sure to specify you want to see a sketch first at least within a week of starting the project.

What nooo. Maybe because of the, "within a week of starting the project", but if you don't even know when they're going to be starting...

if DDV got absolutely no time quote from the artist and hasn't contacted them at all since the initial commission, the person could have taken a huge queue of people and DDV could be near the bottom of the list.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »

You should always get a time-quote from an artist, even if all they give is a rough estimate. I've had artists who have worked in a week timeframe and ones who have worked in a years timeline.

Basically this

Each artist has a different work ethic and workload. They may have ditched you, or they may have other things that needed their attention first.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

What nooo. Maybe because of the, "within a week of starting the project", but if you don't even know when they're going to be starting...

if DDV got absolutely no time quote from the artist and hasn't contacted them at all since the initial commission, the person could have taken a huge queue of people and DDV could be near the bottom of the list.

If they're that busy with queues, then you may want to contact another artist that will have your work ready in a more timely manner.

But this depends on if you have a deadline for the art you need. When I've had to outsource illustration or graphic design work before, a week-long lag time between taking on the commission and producing at least a preliminary sketch to be used in layouts was on the lengthy side.

Brolo on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nah, I'm just being impatient.

She told me it would be "a while" because there were four people in line ahead of me. I'm still second in line. I'm just getting so antsy!

She just has other projects I'm sure.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Still, it's been a month and if there's money involved with this (really, even if there isn't), asking when it will be ready is perfectly acceptable.

Although for anything like this, it really helps to agree to some kind of timeline beforehand.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    But note that there is a huge difference between personal-commissions and professional-freelancing.

If you nag the person and demand a deadline on a drawing of your character and want to see sketches by friday, it is Not Going To Go Well. They said a while, you're next in line. Just be patient. If the person is posting other peoples art and not yours feel free to tap them on the shoulder, but don't nag. It's understandable to be impatient and antsy because you just can't wait, but be nice about it, don't be demanding.

If you're you're tired of waiting, contact them. If they don't reply or if they give you a timeframe you don't want to wait for, cancel. But generally people will reply with oh sorry, this other thing has taken up my time, I'll get to yours soon. Did you even ask to see an in progress sketch before they started inks?

I say this as a person who has spent a lot of money on personal commissions and have always got on great with people I am giving huge stacks of cash to.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    john-briner-artjohn-briner-art Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's here! Please don't spoil anything. Some of us [me] won't be able to play it for a few months. :?

I have no clue about this game. Any one can give me a brief intro about it? So much appreciate it! I just want to let you know guys that I enjoy reading the comments posted. Thanks for sharing~ :)

john-briner-art on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Woo! I'm in Toronto.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    It's here! Please don't spoil anything. Some of us [me] won't be able to play it for a few months. :?

I have no clue about this game. Any one can give me a brief intro about it? So much appreciate it! I just want to let you know guys that I enjoy reading the comments posted. Thanks for sharing~ :)

Tell me honestly--are you a spambot? Because I think you are a spambot.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Finally got my google music beta thing. So far I learned that the The Presidents of the United States of America are still making music, which is, well, ridiculous.

Playing my music through my browser might be the answer to never opening iTunes again.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have no clue about this GOOGLE MUSIC BETA THING. Any one can give me a brief intro about it? So much appreciate it! I just want to let you know guys that I enjoy reading the comments posted. Thanks for sharing~

• Options
    edited June 2011
    It would be way more obvious that you were a robot if you pretended to be excited about fairly recent Presidents of the United States of America, really.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    When I first discovered radiolab, I listened to basically all of the episodes ever made in a matter of weeks.

Now I am sad because there is no more radiolab to devour. I must subsist on lesser podcasts. Stuff You Should Know is puerile and insipid by comparison.

Yeah, I'm going to be one sad little bird when I listen to them all. Kind of how I was when I finished all of Idle Thumbs... but even moreso, because well... science.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am glad y'all dudes are enjoying the Abumrad and Krulwich Power Hour

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Finally got my google music beta thing. So far I learned that the The Presidents of the United States of America are still making music, which is, well, ridiculous.

Playing my music through my browser might be the answer to never opening iTunes again.

I really don't like the idea of surrendering control of my music (or any of my data for that matter) to a third party. In my experience third parties have a habit of telling you how great they are, while secretly making love to your butthole.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have no clue about this GOOGLE MUSIC BETA THING. Any one can give me a brief intro about it? So much appreciate it! I just want to let you know guys that I enjoy reading the comments posted. Thanks for sharing~

Thanks!

Here are the latest deals on Nike Air shoes from cyberDealz.ru:

$49.99 $59.99 $99.99 $199.99

Brolo on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Mustang wrote: »
    In my experience third parties have a habit of telling you how great they are, while secretly making love to your butthole.

So what's the catch?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I really don't like the idea of surrendering control of my music (or any of my data for that matter) to a third party. In my experience third parties have a habit of telling you how great they are, while secretly making love to your butthole.

Considering it doesn't go through and delete all my files on my computer, I dont really see how I'm surrendering anything?

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oh look Rolo's out of jail
    I wonder how many minutes until he's back in

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Probably about as long as you've got!

• Options
    edited June 2011
    so rather a lot

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Considering it doesn't go through and delete all my files on my computer, I dont really see how I'm surrendering anything?

Your privacy for one thing. Cloud computing is a marketing tool dressed up to look like a service.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So a Korean BBQ truckvanthing parked itself outside of my work today...and quickly became hella popular. I decided to go down and check it out after work, and hung out with some coworkers in the rain while we ordered.

AllIgottasayis DAMN. Their bulgogi sliders were AMAAAAZING. I had never had bulgogi before, and it was delicious. I am not a fan of raw onions, and they had some in the sliders, but I actually really enjoyed the whole thing. HELLA TASTY evening: complete!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    so rather a lot

"A Lot" is a place to park cars and hold church rummage sales! Keep up that flagrant disregard for language and you won't have a rather long time out of jail at all!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so rather a lot

"A Lot" is a place to park cars and hold church rummage sales! Keep up that flagrant disregard for language and you won't have a rather long time out of jail at all!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so rather a lot

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so rather a lot

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Love that site! My roommate has a sweatshirt with that image saying "I care about this Alot."

Tam, I had an English teacher in High School that forbade us from using "A Lot" or "Kids" to describe things. I'm with him on "A Lot", there are much better words in our language to describe a vast amount of something, "A Lot" should rarely be considered for the task.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    nah, I like it

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    How much do you like it?!

• Options
    edited June 2011
    a lot

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.