As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Security Help

ZythonZython Registered User regular
OK, I'm very much aware that there's already a computer security thread. However, that seems to only deal with Windows. I'm using a mac and seem to have a virus. I'm already using Sophos Anti-virus and am scanning as I type this, but does anyone know any other good programs that can help clean up whatever it is that's wrong with my computer? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
Steam: pazython
Zython on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MacDefender? Software Update can clear that one.

It's very unlikely to be anything else. What are the symptoms?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Macdefender creators bypassed the Software update fix about ten hours after it came out.

Here's how to remove it:
    Step 1. Open Activity Monitor. Click on Macdefender (or guardian/shield/whatever variant you have), and force quit it.

Step 2. Download AppCleaner and install.

Step 3. Open AppCleaner, then go to your Applications folder. Drag MacDefender into Appcleaner, then hit delete.

Voila, you're done.

Also, any form of anti-virus app for the Mac is a waste of money. This particular one uses a security flaw in Safari, so stop using that and get Chrome or Firefox.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, something was posting shit on my Facebook account which, while not serious itself, could be a sign of potentially worse things to come.

Sophos is free, so there's no problem there. I do use Safari, so if that's an issue, I can always just switch to Firefox.

I don't see anything by the name of "macdefender" or whatever in my activity monitor, so I don't know what's up.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's way more likely to be a Facebook app than a Mac virus then.

Safari is fine as long as you switch off the "Open Safe Files" checkbox.

ben0207 on