As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SOLVED] Games suddenly running in a window surrounded by black

Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS!If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
I run games at 1280x720 and the computer has always upscaled the image to fit the screen. Today I start up Just Cause 2 and BAM!
Linked for huge
Metro 2033 also runs in this windowed-but-fullscreen mode.

I have an AMD Radeon 6770M and I installed the new 11.6 drivers the other day. But I have played games perfectly fine since then, it was just today that I noticed this problem.

Why is this happening?

Edit: Upon further inspection, games that once ran well no longer run well at all :(

Edit 2: Huh, upon restarting it appears that games run fine again. I am still not able to make some of them scale up to fill the screen though.

Cannon Goose on

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think you may need to correct this setting:

atim.png

Dratatoo on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When I try and start the Catalyst Control Center it gives me this error message:

"Could not load file or assembly 'CLI.implementation'"

I've tried using Driver Sweeper and the built-in Windows uninstall programs feature to get rid of all my AMD/ATI stuff, but even after reinstalling Catalyst Control Center still gives me that error!

Cannon Goose on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yarghh! I got that same error too!

The bad news is I don't remember how I fixed it... I think I reinstalled MS Visual Studio runtimes or something...?

Satsumomo on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok, so I was able to fix the CLI.Implementation error and now the control center works again.

DpL97.jpg
    Scaling is greyed out... but full screen is selected? Strange.

The weirdest part of it is that most games aren't affected by this. Bioshock, The Witcher, Modern Warfare 2, Source games and STALKER all scale to fit my screen just fine. Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033 (both games used to scale up perfectly) now just aren't doing it.

Cannon Goose on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if I recall correctly, this is due to a registry entry being fucked. Uninstall the ATI control panel stuff entirely and then reinstall it with a fresh download.

KiTA on
    edited June 2011
    Nothing is working :(

Numerous fixes I've found online aren't correcting my problem.

Cannon Goose on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If it's any help, a few years back I tried to get my ATi card to do the opposite (stop scaling) and despite changing the setting and everything, it never worked. I concluded that ATi (AMD now) just has a very crappy control center.

Okay, so that probably wasn't much help. My eventual solution was buying an nVidia card...

TychoCelchuuu on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The weirdest part of it is that most games aren't affected by this. Bioshock, The Witcher, Modern Warfare 2, Source games and STALKER all scale to fit my screen just fine. Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033 (both games used to scale up perfectly) now just aren't doing it.

I don't know about Metro, but Just Cause 2 only runs in DirectX 10 and I have personally experienced that DirectX 10 games don't follow the same scaling settings as other stuff. No idea how to get around that, though.

Peewi on
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

I don't know about Metro, but Just Cause 2 only runs in DirectX 10 and I have personally experienced that DirectX 10 games don't follow the same scaling settings as other stuff. No idea how to get around that, though.

Metro can run in DirectX 9, 10 and 11. They both scaled up just fine up until a few days ago.

Cannon Goose on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GAmes shouldn't need scaling if they're running at the native res, BTW.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2011
    I know that, but I'd rather run games at 1280x720 with a few more bells and whistles than at native res with less shiny things turned on.

Cannon Goose on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hm, ok then.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You're playing on a laptop right?

I think this might be a setting related with the laptop, and not the videocard.

Satsumomo on
    edited June 2011
    It's a laptop graphics processor, yes. But it's an iMac.

Cannon Goose on
    edited June 2011
    Huh, on my FIFTH complete wipe/re-install of the same drivers the games are scaling correctly again :/

Thanks for the input everyone.

Cannon Goose on