As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] is now FREE!! You have no excuse not to play. Meet the Medic in OP!!

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure I see how that's a concern.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah that sounds like exactly what Valve wants

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    The servers died already, even after a huge update and new player influx. Kind of describes this entire update fairly well.
    That's because it's update night, where you either:

A) Crash Over and Over.
    B) Lag Over and Over.
    C) Cannot connect to the item server.

I'd have gladly played on honc, but I really want to use those items I bought.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know why they do it, but a lot of servers I played on in this time period had medics bonesawing squares into the terrain. It's cute, but playing on a full server where only 3 people are shooting is kind of weird. Also, now you get to try your luck against vac bans for free, unless there's some free vac-enabled game I don't know about.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So I got the new heavy hat, and i only really collect sniper/spy/soldier items.

Anyone wanna trade for something?

What do you want for that hat

I will give you whatever you want for that hat

What do you have of those 4 classes I listed?

I like sniper things most, got any sniper hats?

Sadly, no

But I have a sniper class token! Or uh, some vintage sniper stuff

Or vintage items for soldier and spy!

...I got nothin'

send me a trade request, maybe we can work something out.

romanqwerty on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Meet the Medic was totally worth the wait.

Now excuse me I have to clean the coffee off of my keyboard.

Dunxco on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh, the crafting server has been mostly down for me tonight. I managed to craft a Planeswalker's Goggles #50, but I think that most of the craftable items are past #100.
    Except for the bust of hippocrates. Not many people have 8 jarate

Serious_Scrub on
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Haven't played TF2 in probably a year or two. Bored with everything else I have though, so I'm picking it up. How much fun you think it is now? I haven't played wince just after the Sniper vs. Spy update.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are they still numbered past 100?

romanqwerty on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So the number next to my new hat is just for me?
    :D

Rizzi on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Items past #100 show up in a backpack viewer, but are not numbered in game
    I crafted a Detonator #1800+ 4 hours ago, for a sense of how fast people crafted everything
    In the few times tonight I was able to access my loadout, I found the detonator difficult to flare gun jump with. The projectile will fizzle on contact with a surface, dealing some self damage, but barely launching you in the air. Supposedly, you're supposed to right click to detonate the projectile before it hits the ground, but seeing as you aim it at your feet to flare jump, it's been pretty difficult to pull off.

Also, they added "strange" weapons, which level up based on kill count, and seem to be crate only. By how many people had them, I think that they are nowhere near as rare as unusual hats.

Serious_Scrub on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Those booties are going to be the bane of my existance, I can tell already. They require way too many things to craft them.

They are the only new item I have so far. They were a random drop.
    Rami wrote: »
    Well this patch is fucking fantastic.

Hit enter to type in chat, no text coming up. Can't remove the chat box, can no longer use the mouse to look or turn. Escape doesn't bring up the menu, can't change class or team, can't quit with alt+F4. Oh and the crafting server ate the only materials I had and gave me nothing in return.

Yeah, that's not a new thing. I had it happen once about a month ago.

Peewi on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I finally started playing TF2 with this and messed around offline to get a feel for it. I have come to the following conclusions:

1.) I like the Soldier. Demoman's cool too.
    2.) My reflexes suck from a decade and a half of playing MMOs and RPGs. I can hit precisely jacksquat with any class that requires precision.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People tend to be surprised just how nuanced and skill based TF2 really is past first glances

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Can't contact item server".

Welp, I'm disappointed.

Leevity on
    XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It is but it's also still the twitchiest based shooter I can think of (the last one released that was on the same level is probably quake 3 arena) I mean in the age of having people move at half the speed they do in TF2 along with severe accuracy degredation when moving being the norm TF2 kinda stands apart.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I read some comments about the Medigun being able to heal any wounds except the Demonan's eye in Meet the Medic.
    Well, perhaps it DOES. But being so drunk and always wearing the eye patch the Demo just didn't realise about it. :)

HiT BiT on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Items past #100 show up in a backpack viewer, but are not numbered in game
    I crafted a Detonator #1800+ 4 hours ago, for a sense of how fast people crafted everything
    In the few times tonight I was able to access my loadout, I found the detonator difficult to flare gun jump with. The projectile will fizzle on contact with a surface, dealing some self damage, but barely launching you in the air. Supposedly, you're supposed to right click to detonate the projectile before it hits the ground, but seeing as you aim it at your feet to flare jump, it's been pretty difficult to pull off.

Also, they added "strange" weapons, which level up based on kill count, and seem to be crate only. By how many people had them, I think that they are nowhere near as rare as unusual hats.

There was a youtube vid about how to flarejump. Guy said to aim down , jump and you basically have to hit M1 and M2 at almost the exact same time. like split second apart. Dude was getting some serious air with it though

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is anyone else getting a weird bug with Soldier/Demo weapons where on switch your arms kind of wildly wave about and you can't fire for a while?

More importantly, any workarounds?

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, are Vintage items worthless? I can't seam to equip my items on my characters, which is annoying as hell since I've got a ton of vintage items.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As soon as I get it I'm going to rename my Quick-Fix to Archimedes.

HiT BiT on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I should not have watched that vid in the OP while eating lunch...

Now it's free I'm giving this game a second chance after it so spectacularly failed to impress me on the 360.

Casual on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The 360 version is not the same as the pc game any more. Hasn't been for a very long time.
    Also, I have a Bombing Run, Genuine Conjurer's Cowl and a Dealers Visor if anyone is interested in trading.

Rizzi on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure why "f2p" is such a big deal. The game was what, like $5 before? And that only mattered to the 7 people on the face of the earth that didn't buy the orange box for some reason.

5$, hell even 2.50 was enough to keep someone from getting banned for being a cheater, making a new account(maybe changing their IP) and continuing griefing like nothing happened. This was my and several other peoples worry. You can't throw a stone in the free battlefield games without hitting an aimbot

edit: I wonder if valve expects 3rd party item sellers to appear? I wonder what their gain loss is expected to be? obviously they expect it to be more profitable then what they make right now, but I get interested in these metrics.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    I've seen people say that all uncrated weapons are strange weapons. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Peewi on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a big deal for noting what an interesting move it is, if nothing else, and it portends strongly for what we might see with DOTA 2.

And where can I read up on these "strange weapons". If their stats go up as they "level" then that is some horrendous bullshit.

Scosglen on
    edited June 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    It's a big deal for noting what an interesting move it is, if nothing else, and it portends strongly for what we might see with DOTA 2.

And where can I read up on these "strange weapons". If their stats go up as they "level" then that is some horrendous bullshit.

I really hope they come up with a better unlocking system than random drops for Dota 2. I like how in some games stuff can either be bought with real world money or points you get from playing the game and I would love if TF2 moved to such a system.

Peewi on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Levels are purely cosmetic.

815165 on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure the strange weapons only change their name, possibly gain particle effects at a higher level. I saw someone with one go from 'unremarkable' to 'mildly threatening' or something, I didn't notice any stat changes.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HBDC is down for the time being. just like every other server, the update brokended it. I'll look into it in a bit. Not sure on status of HONC, I haven't checked this morning, but last night it was more brokended as well

deveric on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Strange weapons crate only, confirmed? I thought I saw someone get one in a drop last night on HONC.

Sheep on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want that coaching hat.

Any freebies thinking of buying it? I'll give you items if you'll put my name in the coaching section.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tomislav is hilarious on pubs, it isn't only silent it also starts shooting as soon as you click to fire. Maybe they'll end up changing it, you can even kill heavies who aren't spinned up but you die if they're prespinned.

Ambushing everything with it.

Jutranjo on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I haven't played TF2 in forever (what the hell you can craft things?!) but goddamn I loved Meet the Medic. Should talk more about that.
    Is there an Archimedes hat for the Medic? Wanna see a bird on a doctor. :3

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited June 2011
    Someone already mentioned the Tomislav does more damage than the minigun for the first 3.5 seconds of combat. And considering at close range anyone will die in under 2 seconds...

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Strange weapons crate only, confirmed? I thought I saw someone get one in a drop last night on HONC.

Dys got it from a crate.

Peewi on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok, HBDC is back online. should be playable now, at least looks like it from here.

deveric on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. I really really like the tommy. It's great for spychecking.

That_Guy on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure why "f2p" is such a big deal. The game was what, like $5 before? And that only mattered to the 7 people on the face of the earth that didn't buy the orange box for some reason.

5$, hell even 2.50 was enough to keep someone from getting banned for being a cheater, making a new account(maybe changing their IP) and continuing griefing like nothing happened. This was my and several other peoples worry. You can't throw a stone in the free battlefield games without hitting an aimbot

edit: I wonder if valve expects 3rd party item sellers to appear? I wonder what their gain loss is expected to be? obviously they expect it to be more profitable then what they make right now, but I get interested in these metrics.
    Well, Valve's little F2P FAQ mentions specifically that they're going to be on the lookout for people endlessly making new accounts to sidestep bans. If nothing else, they know what to look for and have plans to deal with it.

Enlong on
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone have spare Bonk! they can trade? Just a straight 1 for 1 for some normal duplicate weapon I have, basically a scrap for scrap kinda deal.

I can offer spare eyelanders and pain train that can be used to craft some of the new weapons.

Rami on
    sig.gif