As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I think my coworker graduated from Bovine University

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Because he eats like a damn cow. I can hear every bite he takes and it's driving me crazy.

Is there a HR Friendly way to bring this up? Obviously I wouldn't bring this up in front of everyone, but is there a good way to tell someone to chew more quietly?

Kyougu on

• oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can you please chew with your mouth closed?

oldsak on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This isn't worthy of taking to HR unless some ridiculous level of open-mouth chewing is going on.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is the worst thing about working in an office. Try headphones.

CelestialBadger on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This isn't worthy of taking to HR unless some ridiculous level of open-mouth chewing is going on.

And even then. Suck it up. It'll only make you look bad to take this to HR, imnsho.

That said, my condolences on your exposure to awful office co-worker syndrome. :)

Straygatsby on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just try to say something to them.

If I am chewing or breathing loudly it's embarrassing and I would rather someone tell me than to have people hate me for it.

Some people just don't hear it.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, I didn't mean I would take it up to HR.

I meant that I wanted a way to bring up the issue without sounding like a dick.

Kyougu on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah, interpersonally? It's gonna be awkward.

But you're still well within the not being a dick zone by asking cudchewer mcgee to keep it down while you're trying to function.

Straygatsby on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In some cases enlarged adenoids make it really hard to chew with the mouth closed as the person will have problems breathing. I had this exact issue while growing up. Everyone thought I was a rude eater while I couldn't breathe while I was chewing unless I opened my mouth.

Ethea on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have the same issue of getting nauseated while listening to people eat like disgusting cows. Unfortunately, it's really an internal issue since you can't tell him how to eat. The only answer I can give is get an mp3 player and hope he doesn't eat continuously.

shadowane on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    eat soup for a week and slurp like a 90-year old grandma

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bwanie wrote: »
    eat soup for a week and slurp like a 90-year old grandma

It's terrible advice really but I second this because it's quite satisfying. I share an office with a prodigious belcher (combined with grunts of exertion from said belches) and it makes me feel a hell of a lot better to just sit there farting all day.

He also eats with his mouth open and I can occasionally hear it over music but I've taken to just eating my lunch elsewhere when he starts eating.

dukederek on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Hey man, what are you eating all the way over there? It sounds delicious."

Do that every time.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm super-sensitive to this sort of thing and it drives me nuts. I think I even posted about it awhile back.

I have one coworker in a cube across the way that does the horse-chewing thing. I swear if she were eating pudding I'd be able to hear it from a distance. It's mind-boggling. Oddly enough, an opportunity to address it actually presented itself one day when she told a coworker that her own boyfriend had complained about it. Unfortunately it didn't help the problem -- her reasoning is that she has a "small mouth" and can't help it. Oh well.

The coworker on the other side of my cube wall, on the other hand, makes these wet slurping sounds that confounded me for years. It sounds like a kid messily eating a popsicle but that wasn't it. I figured it out eventually when I ended up on an elevator with the guy and he made the same sound without anything in his mouth at all. I'm pretty sure he sucks his dentures. I doubt he knows people all around can hear it.

tldr: the only effective solution I've found is headphones and Pandora, which is, fortunately, totally bearable. Pleasant even.

It also never occurred to me that there may be a medical condition at the root. That may help me be less pissed off at the people.

Drake Chambers on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is the worst thing about working in an office. Try headphones.

The best answer, by far.

Also, consider yourself lucky. I won't go into it, but I'd kill to have nothing more than chewing to listen to.

mcdermott on
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    CowShark on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    CowShark wrote: »

There's some terrible truth in there that it's one of those things you can be blissfully unaware of until for some reason you key into it one day and then it's impossible not to hear.

That's a funny video yet just listening to it makes me want to scream. I have the same problem with those Kit-Kat commercials that cobble a jingle together out of crunching sounds.

I acknowledge that it's 100% my problem. :)

Drake Chambers on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's like a Seinfeld episode in here today...

spool32 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But yeah, either ignore it, or confront him straight about it. Don't be passive aggressive about it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That HIMYM clip reminded me that Misophonia exists.

The best solution they have so far with it is.... leave the area.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else surrounded by chronic throat-clearers?

I travel a lot to different locations, but there's one at EVERY OFFICE. I swear. I can walk in and sit in the lobby of each place and within 1 minute know if a particular person is on vacation or not.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Get over it and move on with your life. People do weird shit. Loud chewing would not even make my top 10 for annoying coworker nonsense.

Buy some headphones or ask to move your desk or something.

Life is not this complicated.

Actually bringing this up to HR is as likely to make you look like a completely insufferable prick as it is to actually solve your problem.

Choose wisely.

Jasconius on
  • BloodfartBloodfart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Try living in china where a large portion of people eat with their mouths open and spit constantly. Drives me up the fucking wall to hear.

*smack smack smack* *sluuuuuurrrp* *smack smack* *spit*

My mom would slap half of china on the backside of the head if she were here.

Bloodfart on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Are you aware that you chew with your mouth open?"

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Colin4MayColin4May Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I used to have a bloke who sat next to me at work, that used to fart most of the day. No sound, at all.. these were the "silent but violent" variety. The first you'd know would be a smell from the pits of Skunk Hell arising while you were eating your sandwiches. Disgusto!

Colin4May on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The guy from Muse inhales really loudly between singing lines.

If you like Muse, I'm so sorry.

theSquid on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    theSquid wrote: »

I hate you oh so much. Why would you do that to me?

Kyanilis on
  • TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Colin4May wrote: »
    I used to have a bloke who sat next to me at work, that used to fart most of the day. No sound, at all.. these were the "silent but violent" variety. The first you'd know would be a smell from the pits of Skunk Hell arising while you were eating your sandwiches. Disgusto!

How small are your cubes? I don't think I can produce enough gas to have it over flow to other people's work space even if I tried.

TheOrange on
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    theSquid wrote: »

Ha. He always sounds like he's just come up to the surface for air.

CowShark on