As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] is now FREE!! You have no excuse not to play. Meet the Medic in OP!!

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Does anyone have spare Bonk! they can trade? Just a straight 1 for 1 for some normal duplicate weapon I have, basically a scrap for scrap kinda deal.

I can offer spare eyelanders and pain train that can be used to craft some of the new weapons.

yeah, I have a spare bonk. Pain train sounds fine.

Peewi on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really can't decide what I think about the whole Free to Play thing, but as I haven't played in months and months, I think I'll give this a shot sometime this weekend.

I still miss the good ol' days of beta.

Icemopper on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Does anyone have spare Bonk! they can trade? Just a straight 1 for 1 for some normal duplicate weapon I have, basically a scrap for scrap kinda deal.

I can offer spare eyelanders and pain train that can be used to craft some of the new weapons.

Can you trade now? What's your steam id?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Can you trade now? What's your steam id?

Yeah, I'm in TF2 and it's in my sig.

Peewi on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Detonator is a steaming pile of shit. :(

Guess it's back to degreaser/shotgun/axetinguisher.

xzzy on
    edited June 2011
    Haha holy shit they want $220 for the items in the uber update.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Haha holy shit they want $220 for the items in the uber update.

Isn't it 99.99$? :P

Jutranjo on
    edited June 2011
    Only because they have a sale on.

Soda popper is awesome. You have no control over the activation of hype though. Still it builds really fast, I can see a nerf incoming on that charge time.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone have a spare hunstman I can trade for?

OmnomnomPancake on
  • RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Soda popper is awesome. You have no control over the activation of hype though. Still it builds really fast, I can see a nerf incoming on that charge time.

I think it needs a complete rework. They can increase the charge time to decrease the effect it has on the game, but it won't make a gimmicky mechanic good.

RSP on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011

Right before the hype meter fills swap to pistol/bat and that will let you save it.

Sheep on
    edited June 2011
    uh, the hype thing seems a little too good. Which is why I feel they might nerf it lightly by increasing the amount of time it takes to build. The gun is freaking awesome, you get about 8 seconds of minicrits every 15-20 seconds.

Oh, weapon switch. Good idea!

The mini crits even apply to all your weapons!

This is so getting nerfed :(

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Quick Fix and Tomislav are probably getting nerfs as well.

Heavy Medics were seriously difficult to take down last night. I nailed a Heavy with a regular Demo Pill and then a Crit Pill and he just shrugged it off.

Sheep on
    edited June 2011
    I should have written more clearly - I don't mean to say it's not a *powerful* mechanic, just that it's not a *good* mechanic, in that it doesn't add anything meaningful tactically. For example, you see a scout with the Soda Popper. He's on his own, and doesn't notice you, so you decide to go for him and drop down from a position of relative safety. He sees you and you both start fighting, but it turns out that he was almost charged - he gets minicrits and turns the tables on you, and you wait 15 seconds to respawn. You have no way of knowing whether this is going to happen. There wasn't really anything you could have done. All you can do is chalk it up to bad luck.

Admittedly, that's not going to happen *exactly* like that. But for a class that doesn't ever have a reason to slow down, mini crits for running might as well be 'Gets free minicrits every n seconds', which is rather arbitrary, isn't it? You might say the buff banner is the same, but at least its charge requires you to actually be in combat, you're vulnerable and obvious when deploying it, and you're not a scout, who can get a lot of mileage out of this sort of thing since nobody can run from him.

I don't have a special hatred for the Soda Popper, in terms of negative effect on the game it doesn't look bad next to Tomislav, the demo sword, the shotgun that minicrits people who jump, the revolver that does 144 damage on crit, and I know I'm forgetting something else. I just wish they could have thought of something a little more interesting for its special feature - something you can actually think about tactically both using it and fighting against it.

RSP on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    dickcockasswhore.

Was updating SM, and just did the lazy drag & drop & replace all method... and forgot to back up my databases & simple admins files. O_o

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited June 2011
    You never have information for who you are fighting against though.

You don't know if he has jarate available, or the sandman stun, or the charge, you don't know his health, you don't know if he only has 1 rocket left. The only mechanic that gives your opponents any warning is uber charges.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    RSP wrote: »
    I don't have a special hatred for the Soda Popper, in terms of negative effect on the game it doesn't look bad next to Tomislav, the demo sword, the shotgun that minicrits people who jump, the revolver that does 144 damage on crit, and I know I'm forgetting something else. I just wish they could have thought of something a little more interesting for its special feature - something you can actually think about tactically both using it and fighting against it.
    You can definitely make use of it tactically if swapping out to another weapon holds your charge at whatever level it was before you switched. It's another tool for picking your battles well; charge up, wait for your moment, engage with free minicrits, run away and recharge. There doesn't really seem to be a good option for fighting against it tactically though you're right.

815165 on
  • irnirn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is TF2 free to play a limited time?

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Nope. Forever.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I went to the shop and realized they were selling starter packs with hats for $1 each. I gave in and bought em since it was a hell of a deal to get a bunch of $2.50 hats for a buck less and some scrap metal. Seeing how I had $2.50 left I decided to buy a Manco Key instead and got a second Napper's Respite from my first box. I then gave in and bought two more keys for a Buffalo Sandvich and a Direct Hit.

I feel dirty. :(

However, I am wanting to trade that Napper's Respite now for a Hat.

Waffles or whatever on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man I recently moved my steam installation to a different HDD.

Now every time I try to play TF2 I get the error: "Could not load library client"

I tried defragmenting and verifying local game content AND re-downloading TF2 to no avail.

All my other games seem fine.

With the new update and all I'm not sure if there problem is on STEAM's side or mine.

RT800 on
    edited June 2011
    You never have information for who you are fighting against though.

You don't know if he has jarate available, or the sandman stun, or the charge, you don't know his health, you don't know if he only has 1 rocket left. The only mechanic that gives your opponents any warning is uber charges.

Most of those things have to be used explicitly though, with a weapon switch required (and if someone is running around with a sword or the sandman out, it's a safe bet they've got a charge or ball ready). The game has many ways of replenishing ammo and health. If someone is low on either, it's almost certainly due to very recent events that you probably saw or heard when moving in to attack them yourself. So you can judge those attributes adequately without having to rely entirely on looking at the person's behavior.

edit: I would have preferred some kind of attribute not dependent on state, like:
    While weapon is out, all critical hits dealt and received are downgraded to mini-crits.

RSP on
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone have a spare hunstman I can trade for?

I've got a couple spare vintage huntsman if you don't mind that.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    arent vintages the same thing?

FlipprDolphin on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    arent vintages the same thing?

Yes, except they have blue names.

They're almost worthless for trading, almost no one wants them. Might as well craft them into scrap.

xzzy on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i'm getting pretty lucky with drops

got the new demo sword and the new scout scattergun

which is good, by the way

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey, does anyone have a spare Mad Milk to trade? I really want me a Quick Fix.

My stuff is here.

Enlong on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've got a spare Splendid Screen if anyone is interested.

Rizzi on
  • HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Waffen wrote: »
    I went to the shop and realized they were selling starter packs with hats for $1 each. I gave in and bought em since it was a hell of a deal...

I did the same. But inside I died a little bit when I saw the Ten Gallon in the engy pack after agonizing about it like 2 weeks ago and I bought it outright for $7.50. So of course now it's in a pack for $0.99. I hope the Newell enjoys his $6.51.

In other news, I bought the little engy bear so who the fuck am I to complain about wasting money.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I do enjoy playing medic, and the quick-fix seems to fit my playstyle (front lines healing, less of an emphasis on uber building). We'll see though.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I've got a spare Splendid Screen if anyone is interested.

i am quite interested in this, add me on steam or something

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What's your steam id? :P

Rizzi on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Soda Popper would be a lot more fun if it worked like an uber instead of being automatic.

815165 on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now that I've used it a bit, I absolutely *love* the new Crafting screen. You can smelt stuff *so* fast, since it brings up a full list of everything and tells you exactly how much of each item you have. Lets you pick out duplicates to smelt quick.

Made myself a Quick-Fix, a Tomislav, and the riding crop so far.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have the Atomizer #113. Neat.

I crafted the Sergeant's Drill Hat last night; let me know if anyone's interested in it before I rebuild it.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Though I haven't been in many situations where I needed a third jump, when I DO need it, it certainly comes in handy.

I've got number 95.
    Hello, brother.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jerkbot wrote: »

Though I haven't been in many situations where I needed a third jump, when I DO need it, it certainly comes in handy.

I've got number 95.
    Hello, brother.

Haha, so close! Wish I could have slid in under 100.

The rest of the Scout's new items, I bought in the store. They don't have a number associated with them.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jerkbot wrote: »

I've got number 95.
    Hello, brother.

Haha, so close! Wish I could have slid in under 100.

The rest of the Scout's new items, I bought in the store. They don't have a number associated with them.

Numbers are for Crafts only, and while the game tracks past 100 (check with tf2b.com) it will only show 100 in game titles.

W0QYe.jpg

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Liberty Launcher, Atomizer and the Tomislav feel really out of line balance-wise. The Demoknight set I don't know about; it's certainly stronger than the old Demoknight, but at the same time it has the same old weaknesses of bullets, and much less protection.

Most of the other stuff seems fairly sidegradeish.

Also, last night I was noticing the default sniper rifle now had its charge curve straightened out, so rather than near-instant headshots doing 150, they now do 165. That's a fairly interesting change. The new sniper rifle is still really awful. 8(

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright, thoughts on some of the new weapons.

The detonator is useless, especially if you can aim flares at all. The rocket-jump seems like it doesn't gain as much height as a double jump, the detonation has a terrible area of effect and damage, and the downgrade from crits to mini-crits when hitting burning targets nerfs its damage output substantially. I'll be sticking with the standard flare gun.

The enforcer is pretty good, and I don't think it has any downsides when using the dead ringer. Straight upgrade from the standard revolver if you use that watch.

The new heavy minigun is ridiculous. Ditto for the liberty launcher. Not fun to play against at all.

Burnage on