As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kronus vs. the Image Dump (Page 8)

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yikes cool stuff in here

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    JusticePunkJusticePunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Indeed. I'm sold on the prime poster. Keep it up sir.

JusticePunk on
    lololololo.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh wow, some cool stuff you have going here. I don't have much in the way of critique, but do post the other metroid prime posters!

Brolo on
  • Options
    Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am seriously fantasizing about Nintendo re-releasing Metroid Prime in HD with that image as the box art.

Penguin-Factory on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are these going to be sold, or is there any chance we could see a hi-res version of that? That Metroid one would make a badass desktop. Actually any of these would. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like the setup over at Society6.com, it seems pretty simple to upload and sell on the spot. I'd like to do a test print myself to make sure the colours on my monitor match up with what they print before I open it up to the public . I will do that tonight so as long as everything checks out, I'd say I'll have everything up and ready to go in a couple of weeks maybe? It depends on how terrible Canada Post wants to be!

When I get home later tonight I'll hook you up with a wallpaper version :)

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alright better late than never. Let me know if you would like it at a different resolution:
    1024x768
    1280x1024
    1600x1200

Kronus on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks a lot, you did a great job on it. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    desktop'd.

Rad!

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Awesome, thanks all! Ended up finishing the Corruption poster before the one for Echoes, I really liked the colours in this;

Metroidprime3.png

Kronus on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As someone who rarely comes into AC, its work like this that makes me want to come in more and learn how to draw/ do art. Fantastic work bro, keep up the good job!

Lagnar on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got you Kotaku'd :D

m3nace on
  • Options
    booboo Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    m3nace wrote: »
    I got you Kotaku'd :D

and it worked! that's where I came from and I have a feeling I won't be the only one.

Kronus, I think your work is off the hook! the guitar hero one (last one you posted/the one on kotaku) is GREAT. I would buy that on a t-shirt in a heartbeat, and I know quite a few people who love GH who would be so jealous ;D

is there any way you could do a 1080x1920 version for my desktop background? (I rotate my monitor in portrait mode; nicer to work in Dreamweaver).

in any case, keep up the good work! you definitely got talent!

cheers

boo on
  • Options
    ThejakemanThejakeman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, Poster those three up and I'll buy them in a heartbeat. Need some stuff to go up that's not Comic related.

Thejakeman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    m3nace I'm not quite sure how you did it, but I give you my thanks. And a free print of something. Or maybe five. Definitely five. Awesome.

In lieu of this awesome development, I'm going to expedite things and put some stuff up on the Society6 shop asap. Stay tuned folks!

EDIT: I'll fix up the last version of the Guitar Hero poster (reversed direction) and put it up along with the first version, so that people can choose either :) I'll have that background for you later today!

Kronus on
  • Options
    PressPress Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Kronus,

I too was redirected here from Kotaku ( congrats!) and I'm looking to buy the Metroid Prime print. I hope you can answer this question for me.

Is there a quality difference between the Canvas and the Print? The canvas max size is 17 x 24 where as the print is 22 x 28. I'd prefer to have the largest while maintaining quality. Whats your recommendation here?

Press on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kronus wrote: »
    but I give you my thanks. And a free print of something.
    :shock:
    :?::shock:

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The way Society6 works is that, when I upload the poster image, they automatically choose the sizes at which they can print it based on the dimensions of the file. At 21x28 it won't print at 300dpi, but ideally they only print at a sufficient DPI that you won't notice any degredation by eye. I want to say the lowest they go is 150dpi. I think the Metroid Prime posters are around there at the 22x28 size (I was limited by the size of the brushes I was using). From what I can tell, they use quality materials such that 150dpi should be perfect with the naked eye.

I can't speak to the difference in quality between their prints and canvases, but if it helps, they have some more info here, along with a video of how they print & prepare the canvas:

http://www.society6.com/help/products

EDIT: I updated the Metroid Prime posters with a higher resolution star background, you can't see it as much when it's zoomed out but when it's printed it should be a bit more vibrant that before :)

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    but I give you my thanks. And a free print of something.
    :?::shock:

F'reals!

maybe not a canvas though :P

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I can't take five, that's like robbing you.

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, let me know if there's one you like and I'll hook you up! :)

EDIT: Still working on getting everything up on the store, at the moment the Guitar Hero poster is being a giant pain in the butt (the version that everyone liked was a bit of a rough draft).

EDIT TWO: Despite my best efforts I could only get one version of the guitar hero poster to look decent. The one posted on Kotaku just wasn't working, since you only see the front face of the guitar, the curves really wonky at the extreme perspective.

Kronus on
  • Options
    WedgeIkariWedgeIkari Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I'm loving the minimalist designs Kronus, I especially dig the PacMan solar system and the Death Star ones.

WedgeIkari on
    Too big sig.
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

5753060693_2ecf3db5ec_z.jpg

this image is fine, the only thing id change is making the eyeholes and the mouth a darker value so it pops more. Its a cool image tho.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeahhhhh, that one was an idea I had kicking around for a while, and when I finally sat down to give it a shot I tried to do something a little different stylistically. I think it might have suffered from the transition. I'm glad you like it, you're right it could definitely use some improvement. I'd like to give it another shot sometime in the way I originally pictured it, but at the very least it was great practice which helped bring about the current Metroid Prime posters (I swear I'm almost done with Echoes!).

I think I have mostly everything up on the store now. Apparently I cut some corners when making the two Pac-Man posters D: But I'm going definitely going to fix up the solar system one and maybe even submit it as a shirt somewhere. On top of that I have at least 3 other posters I'm working on simultaneously, plus setting up a DeviantART account, plus at least 5 other ideas I've been itching to get down on paper. I should get some coffee.

Thanks WedgeIkari! And thanks to everyone for the great comments over the past few days, it's really encouraging to hear all of this positive feedback. It's pretty awesome that all of my time spent playing video games and watching movies is constructive in some way :D

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alrighty, here's the first draft for Echoes:

MetroidPrimeEchoes.png

EDIT: In the spoiler is a side-by-side comparison of all three posters (beware the h-scroll):
    PrimeTrilogy1.jpg

EDIT 2: Hmmm, perhaps I should make the 'blackground' a little more round at the bottom?

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yep, it definitely reminds me of a pair of buttocks right now.

m3nace on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yep, it definitely reminds me of a pair of buttocks right now.

And it's impossible to unsee that.

Thanks.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    meh i dont really see the butt thing

but seriously rad stuff yo

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'm really not seeing the butt thing.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You're just trying to accuse me of something aren't you?

m3nace on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy balls, your work is fantastic. I need to hire you to do covers for my self-pubbed books one day.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You're just trying to accuse me of something aren't you?

I'm accusing you of never seeing a butt before. :P

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was also told it looked like balls, blue balls to be exact. You people are the worst. It has been fixed, the poster is now buttless and/or ballless, depending on your preference.

Thanks Ruzkin! I'm always open to new stuff! :)

Kronus on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seriously, I work in a bookstore and I get to see the disparity between excellent and terrible book covers all day long. Your work would sell a lot of books.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really don't think it looked like any of those to the point where it needed changing honestly. There are definitely times where people's stuff obviously looks like a dick or whatever. I did not see it that much as those, for instance it wasn't one of those "CAN'T BE UNSEEN" moments.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I really don't think it looked like any of those to the point where it needed changing honestly. There are definitely times where people's stuff obviously looks like a dick or whatever. I did not see it that much as those, for instance it wasn't one of those "CAN'T BE UNSEEN" moments.
    metroidong.png?

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm at a loss of words...

m3nace on
  • Options
    e2dbe2db Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would pay oodles upon oodles for those MP posters. Would love 'em even more without the text.

e2db on
    parobsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Uploading a version without text won't be a problem if you'd like. I'll just need to figure out a way to do it without mixing them in with the other posters, don't want to cause confusion having some with text and some without text next to each other, all crossin' streams and stuff. Within the past few days they have changed the UI and layout for stores on Society6 for the worse by getting rid of some customizability options, which sadly would have been great for this very purpose.

Thinking cap is now thoroughly on.

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Small update: I submitted a few shirts to shirt.woot, I should hear back about one of them sometime next week when they decide on the next batch of shirts. I think I missed the cut with the other two, I submitted them later in the week, so I'll have to sit tight for those. In the meantime, this is now up on Threadless:

351271.jpg

EDIT: Couldn't find a work around for the Society6 problem, so I'll put up the Metroid Prime posters without text and I'll make their names different from the previous ones.

EDIT2: Alright the Metroid Prime posters are now available sans text here, here, and here!

Kronus on