As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The next XBox and PS4 are going to be announced within months of each-other if not at the same E3.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Shouldn't he be working on another God of War game?

Please god no.

It'll happen Pink. They will find a way to keep that franchise going until our eyes bleed.

Didn't God of War 4 get announced in some newspaper right before E3? Kratos versus the Norse Pantheon or whatever?
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a new Twisted Metal coming out, made by Jaffe (I think), that seemed to involve some sort of overly complicated, Rube Goldberg method of scoring points in multiplayer that would fall apart if everyone on the team isn't giving 100%.

Come to think of it, it wasn't shown at E3, was it? Maybe they're reworking the Rube Goldberg parts.

It was shown off a lot at E3: just not at Sony's press conference.

Undead Scottsman on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dritz wrote: »
    The next XBox and PS4 are going to be announced within months of each-other if not at the same E3.

It's like as soon as any of the console manufacturers says "X-year lifecycle", everyone forgets that you can release one console while the other is still out.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's Live related, don't think too hard on it. Microsoft has allowed for one game to bypass Live as far as I can remember (Final Fantasy 11). Given their clout in the industry, they probably feel they shouldn't have to allow for such things again. I'm actually surprised the makers of Dust had the balls to turn down MS.

CCP isn't very well known for accurate market research.
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Yeah, no. Microsoft wanted a share of the gouging and couldn't get it more like.
    As for MS wanting a piece of it? Maybe, but I don't think so. There'd be at least some games that said "sure" to get at the install base if that were true.

You're overthinking it as Henroid said.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    Dritz wrote: »

It's like as soon as any of the console manufacturers says "X-year lifecycle", everyone forgets that you can release one console while the other is still out.

True. As [strike]hilariously haphazard and costly[/strike] unfortunate as the first year of the PS3 played out, I think the fundamental idea of having a very popular older console that still has the occasional game coming out and successfully launched new console coinciding is an attractive position to be in, the danger of diverting attentions aside.

Synthesis on
    edited June 2011
    The Xbox is nearly SIX years old. MS is full of shit if they think they'll get away with another six years. (Xbox 720, coming Fall of 2017!) At the abosolute maximum we'll see it in 2014, after the Kinect has had 3 years or so to sell. I'm still guessing 2013 though, just so they can catch the "new generation" buzz off of Nintendo.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh. I take that we're only halfway though the 360s life stuff as "we can't really talk about our new console
    plans at the moment so lets just make shit up."
    Pretty much. The 360's doing fine and Kinect certainly helped prolong its longevity, but I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't see a new system announcement next year sometime. The PS2 continued to sell quite well post-PS3 announcement/release, so I've no reason to think the 360 won't do the same.

Halfmex on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, there's a new Twisted Metal coming out, made by Jaffe (I think), that seemed to involve some sort of overly complicated, Rube Goldberg method of scoring points in multiplayer that would fall apart if everyone on the team isn't giving 100%.

Come to think of it, it wasn't shown at E3, was it? Maybe they're reworking the Rube Goldberg parts.

You really need to listen to the E3 Bombcasts. Just so you know.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I already read somewhere that the new Xbox is already being worked on, and that the Timesplitters guys were working on a new Timesplitters game to be released with it.

As much as I hate that, (I only have so much money, I have a backlog the size of this planet, etc) I will probably buy it, just because.

Also, new Timesplitters game = immediate buy.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited June 2011
    Yes, again, it's perfectly acceptable for them to release a new Xbox while selling the current one at a massively reduced price. You remember how Sony stopped selling the PS2 the second they announced the PS3 at E3 back when? Those were good times.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    latest I can see the next xbox coming out is probably 2014, like people have said. Even that seems highly unlikely though. 2013 is probably the sweet spot, but depending on how powerful the Wii U is, either move might not end up as the best of situations.

Guek on
    edited June 2011
    Yes, again, it's perfectly acceptable for them to release a new Xbox while selling the current one at a massively reduced price. You remember how Sony stopped selling the PS2 the second they announced the PS3 at E3 back when? Those were good times.

Sony's usually the odd duck out on this one.

The N64 died off very quick once the Gamecube hit, and the Gamecube evaporated almost as quick after the Wii launched.

And MS dropped the original Xbox like a hot potato once they had a product that didn't cost them money to make even four years down the line.

Sony has, previously, been the only company big on pushing older hardware (at least in the home console space, handhelds are a different story) while newer hardware is out.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

But the content flow to the 360 will be reduced.

Henroid on
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

But the content flow to the 360 will be reduced.

Eh, it'll still be a sweet spot for lazy WiiU/PS3 ports.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011

And MS dropped the original Xbox like a hot potato once they had a product that didn't cost them money to make even four years down the line.

People need to stop citing this as an example. It's very, very well documented why they dropped the Xbox as soon as the 360 was out the door, whereas their ownership and profit on the 360 is an entirely different situation. Saying "well they did it before" has absolutely no bearing on their current strategy. It is a massive apples-to-oranges situation.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited June 2011

People need to stop citing this as an example. It's very, very well documented why they dropped the Xbox as soon as the 360 was out the door, whereas their ownership and profit on the 360 is an entirely different situation. Saying "well they did it before" has absolutely no bearing on their current strategy. It is a massive apples-to-oranges situation.

Which is why I offered other examples from Nintendo to demonstrate that Sony really is the only one who has a history of keeping an older generation around while the newer one is hot shit.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    darleysam does have a point. I mean, we have to remember they're the new kid on the block in the console world, and their first showing was mediocre. The 360 has launched them into success. Whatever plans they followed to make that happen, they'll probably mimic now.

... Then again, dropping the XBox like a "hot potato" when the 360 launched was part of that plan.

Henroid on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    Then the question becomes how many of those who purchase JRPGs in the US actually have a Wii.

edi: because JRPG fans in general are a small fraction of gamers. And then a small fraction of them actually have a Wii. And then, like DarkPrimus, not all of those may even want Xenoblade. It's a risky game to publish.

Risky? Bullshit. It will make its money back easily. Will it break the bank? No, and that's why NoA doesn't care. They don't have to pay for localization, or development. It's all done. They just have to print discs and ship them which is dirt cheap. Atlus or XSEED would have published it in an instant, and that includes localization costs.
    Good news for America? It takes less than 5 minutes to mod a Wii and make the damn thing Region Free.

I almost wonder if NoA, knowing all of what can be done by modding a Wii, are not localizing Xenoblade so that NA players that truly want the game end up paying EU prices. More money to Nintendo as a whole, while saving any further localization costs (e.g. ESRB rating, extra disc prints, etc.).

OT, but seeing Master Chief in crotchless armour with stuff exploding around him while hearing the Vigilante 8 theme.........man, that might be a thing,

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited June 2011

Which is why I offered other examples from Nintendo to demonstrate that Sony really is the only one who has a history of keeping an older generation around while the newer one is hot shit.

So then, let's infer from their recent statements that they are developing a new Xbox (because 1: they will always be working on new hardware, and 2: there are plenty of rumours around it, no smoke without fire, that kind of deal) but that they won't be talking about it yet because some reporter for IGN isn't about to call them up and get the exclusive launch scoop where the PR stooge on the other end of the phone decides to announce there and then that they've got a new console. They'll save that for E3 (next year's, maybe). But, we can also infer that they do intend to keep the 360 around for a few more years, I'm going to guess they want to wring another 4 out of if to take it out to a decade, and keep it as the low-cost entry level option for people who want in on their Kinect sensation, but can't afford the brand new 720. Sound reasonable?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited June 2011
    I would actually prefer that.

I understand that companies want to always upgrade their consoles/etc., but if you just plain can't afford the new one unless you sell your old one, then why not keep supporting the old one for those who can't afford the new one? Makes everybody happy.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Yeah, no. Microsoft wanted a share of the gouging and couldn't get it more like.
    As for MS wanting a piece of it? Maybe, but I don't think so. There'd be at least some games that said "sure" to get at the install base if that were true.

You're overthinking it as Henroid said.

Thinking that a corporation won't do something unless they get money is overthinking?

Magic Pink on
    edited June 2011
    The first year's always upscaled ports anyway.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Sony's usually the odd duck out on this one.

The N64 died off very quick once the Gamecube hit, and the Gamecube evaporated almost as quick after the Wii launched.

Sony has, previously, been the only company big on pushing older hardware (at least in the home console space, handhelds are a different story) while newer hardware is out.

To be fair, Nintendo has done this with their handhelds. GBA development lasted a significant amount of time after the DS launched.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I understand that companies want to always upgrade their consoles/etc., but if you just plain can't afford the new one unless you sell your old one, then why not keep supporting the old one for those who can't afford the new one?

Because they want to get your delicious money by making you buy the new one?

Gaslight on
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So if we ARE half way through the 360's life, then maybe the WiiU won't be as big of a disaster as most people previously thought. Since we still have about 5-6 years left on it.

Eh, in my opinion, I've always considered the Wii more of a half step. I think the WiiU will just be them coming in line with the current gen machines.

I have to say I'm really happy with my 360, and would be fine with it lasting for another 5 - 6 years, if not longer!

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Thinking that a corporation won't do something unless they get money is overthinking?
    No, but to use your line of thinking, do you honestly think there wouldn't be other games that would have given some of the $$ to MS?

That and the very quote itself was more about how they wanted the game to work rather than about $$.

Your explanation of things is just more complicated and less viable. Possible, sure, but unlikely given no other games with MT's on 360 and that they had to say in an interview that Live was being modified for it.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bonepart wrote: »
    So if we ARE half way through the 360's life, then maybe the WiiU won't be as big of a disaster as most people previously thought. Since we still have about 5-6 years left on it.

Eh, in my opinion, I've always considered the Wii more of a half step. I think the WiiU will just be them coming in line with the current gen machines.

I have to say I'm really happy with my 360, and would be fine with it lasting for another 5 - 6 years, if not longer!

This is true. But you cannot argue with their half step results! I do hope that I don't have to buy another 360 anytime soon... I've already received grief from the wife for being interested in the new WiiU because, and I quote: "You never use the one you have now!". No arguing is going to fix that.

urahonky on
    edited June 2011
    Actually, I know it's a pretty silly discussion, but the mystery of master chief's crotch does bring up a pretty good question
    Isn't he in stasis at the end of Halo 3? Which he looks like he's coming out of in the Halo 4 trailer. That either means he wasn't in stasis the whole time or someone did something to do (ewww) while he was in stasis.

Stasisstasisstasis.

EDIT: Also, I'm ready to move onto the next generation if or no other reason than to get the console standard set higher than 512mb of ram. (Seriously, I have EIGHT TIMES that much ram in my pc and laptop each.. and my PC is only at half capacity!)

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2011
    Actually, I know it's a pretty silly discussion, but the mystery of master chief's crotch does bring up a pretty good question
    Isn't he in stasis at the end of Halo 3? Which he looks like he's coming out of in the Halo 4 trailer. That either means he wasn't in stasis the whole time or someone did something to do (ewww) while he was in stasis.

Stasisstasisstasis.
    Yeah, at the end of Halo 3, he went in stasis and said "Wake me when you need me." Which leads to Halo 4, when he comes out of stasis.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EDIT: Also, I'm ready to move onto the next generation if or no other reason than to get the console standard set higher than 512mb of ram. (Seriously, I have EIGHT TIMES that much ram in my pc and laptop each.. and my PC is only at half capacity!)

This. THIS. THIS!

I like my 360 and all, but that shit was beyond dumb. Whether or not we're pushing the limits of the rest of the hardware, most of the bigger games are still faceplanting against that memory wall.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's not just the 360. The PS3 has the same problem. 512mb ram is still 512mb ram, wither it's combined or 256+256. I have no idea why they set the ceiling that low when they wanted an extended console lifespan.

Also, my desktop has 9gb of ram (3x 3gb DRR3), but maybe I'm just crazy. :(

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's not just the 360. The PS3 has the same problem. 512mb ram is still 512mb ram, wither it's combined or 256+256. I have no idea why they set the ceiling that low when they wanted an extended console lifespan.

Also, my desktop has 9gb of ram (3x 3gb DRR3), but maybe I'm just crazy. :(

Cost. Console ram is speedier than PC ram, which makes it tougher to match what computers can do without breaking the bank.

Man, I thought I was the silly person for having 8GB of ram in my computer. But to be fair, I built it with the help of a nutcase.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's still kind of the thing, though. Even with 'only' five years, a console gets no significant hardware upgrades. Ever. Limiting the RAM like that is never going to work for long. That's simply a cost you have to eat if you want your system to last.

SONY had no fucking excuse since they'd already force fed the BR stuff and were talking about 10 year life cycle from practically the beginning.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thank god epic convinced them to go up to the 512 at least. I don't even want to think how small and low textured games would be if microsoft had gone with their planed 256

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    That's still kind of the thing, though. Even with 'only' five years, a console gets no significant hardware upgrades. Ever. Limiting the RAM like that is never going to work for long. That's simply a cost you have to eat if you want your system to last.

SONY had no fucking excuse since they'd already force fed the BR stuff and were talking about 10 year life cycle from practically the beginning.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "work." Keep up with stuff that's possible on computers? No. Keep on selling? Yep. Only we tech nerds are going to really notice that there's so much more possible. Meanwhile the rest of the market is still going to happily snork up the next Call of Duty and shoot mans without thinking twice. None of the big three have really suffered from their technical limitations, especially the underpowered yet strong-selling Wii.

cloudeagle on
    edited June 2011
    Man, I thought I was the silly person for having 8GB of ram in my computer. But to be fair, I built it with the help of a nutcase.

I hope you're at least running a 64-bit OS... Otherwise, yes, you are silly :D

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I hope you're at least running a 64-bit OS... Otherwise, yes, you are silly :D

I am, fortunately. Then again, thanks to him I also have a power supply powerful enough to run Optimus Prime.

At any rate. Think the bad news has ended for Sony? Think again.
    The PlayStation Network may be up and running again after April's massive security breach and the subsequent month-long outage, but the incident is leaving some longer-term reminders for Sony. For instance, the company is now dealing with a handful of lawsuits over the breach, including one filed this week alleging that Sony laid off network security staff just weeks before the breach, and ignored previous smaller-scale hackings that demonstrated security holes.

The complaint accuses Sony of negligence, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and violating the federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act by not properly securing customer information. To help make its case, the suit cites a half dozen former Sony Computer Entertainment America and Sony Online Entertainment employees as confidential witnesses, many of whom were employed with their respective companies until March of this year.

The confidential witnesses attest that Sony kept vastly different security standards for its own information and that of its customers, using out-of-date software, substandard encryption processes, and no firewalls when it came to customers' data. Additionally, the suit points out that Sony was warned in early April by hacking group Anonymous that it had become a target for cyber attacks, and notes that in late March "a substantial percentage" of Sony Online Entertainment's Network Operations Center, the group responsible for preparing for and responding to security breaches, had been dismissed in a round of layoffs. (SOE customer information was also compromised around the time of the PSN hack.) As for previous hacks, the suit notes widespread hacking of Modern Warfare 2 made the game "unplayable online" in January, and refers to unspecified reports in May 2009 that unauthorized copies of customers' credit cards were e-mailed to an outside account.

The suit is being brought by a trio of Sony customers, two of whom were PSN members at the time of the massive security breach. The third plaintiff was a member of Sony Pictures' website and had his personal information made public when the site was hacked earlier this month by LulzSec. They are attempting to get class action status for the suit, so that it may cover all US users of PSN and Sony Pictures' site at the time they were hacked. The group is seeking monetary damages with interest, attorneys' fees, and appropriate credit monitoring services for all members of the class. Sony has already launched a program to provide affected PSN users with 12 months of complimentary credit monitoring.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6321043/sony-laid-off-security-staff-prior-to-psn-data-breach-claims-lawsuit?tag=topstory%3Btitle

cloudeagle on
    edited June 2011

Well, it depends on what you mean by "work." Keep up with stuff that's possible on computers? No. Keep on selling? Yep. Only we tech nerds are going to really notice that there's so much more possible. Meanwhile the rest of the market is still going to happily snork up the next Call of Duty and shoot mans without thinking twice. None of the big three have really suffered from their technical limitations, especially the underpowered yet strong-selling Wii.

We're halfway through this 'gen' and games have already exhausted the current RAM supply. The key is, you don't succeed long term on short sighting your system unless you have a quick enough turn around. Nintendo is pushing their new console next year because they reached their limit on what the hardware could do.

It doesn't matter if they can keep selling it and they did it on purpose. So they release a new console and hope they can pick up where they left off. Meanwhile, SONY and MS are going to try and ride out their hardware design in a market that has already caught up and soon will exceed what they're capable of.

I could bring out a sports analogy, but I won't. Suffice it to say that Nintendo, for all the short sightedness the Wii had is doing what they should be doing. The other two are going to try and limp along to the finish line and hope nobody notices what's wrong.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    Haha, poor Sony. I am genuinely curious to see how these lawsuits pan out. I mean, I imagine they have top-notch lawyers, but they are *totally* in the wrong here. I will be curious to see if they can bullshit their way out of some of these.

Warlock82 on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.destructoid.com/letter-writing-campaign-for-last-story-pandora-s-tower-204505.phtml

I'm not one for thinking that campaigns work when it comes to major corporate decisions, but I may get involved in this as I'm hugely dissapointed at NOA for their decision to 'probably' not release Xenoblade or Last Story in the US.

But either way, we'll see what happens.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!