As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] is now FREE!! You have no excuse not to play. Meet the Medic in OP!!

• davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was topping the scoreboards all day with both Heavy and Sniper and I never used any of the new items. What do we learn from this? That I have a need to brag oh and the new items aren't necessary.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Sorry. My experience with Quick Fix'd heavies shrugging off tons of damage, coupled with tons of similar complaints on other forums, gives me confidence in feeling that Valve should take a look at it. Your petition that it's not OP because you say so is unconvincing.

The Quick Fix can heal quicker than you can damage. Couple this with the one class that has the highest DPS. And then throw in QF's uber on top of that.

Sheep on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    barra line by line replies are so ugh

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    davincie wrote: »
    I was topping the scoreboards all day with both Heavy and Sniper and I never used any of the new items. What do we learn from this? That I have a need to brag oh and the new items aren't necessary.

The new sniper weapons suck, and apparently there was a change to the charge rate so quickscoped headshots with the vanilla rifle do a bit more damage than before. Heavies always own the scoreboard when they are not trying to use the new shotgun or fists.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Tomi makes the shotgun obsolete, so you can take the sandvich with no regrets. You can wind up faster than Sasha even if you're switching from a melee weapon so go ahead and use the GRU/FoS with no worries.

I love it.

Lokiamis on
  • IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Sorry. My experience with Quick Fix'd heavies shrugging off tons of damage, coupled with tons of similar complaints on other forums, gives me confidence in feeling that Valve should take a look at it. Your petition that it's not OP because you say so is unconvincing.

The Quick Fix can heal quicker than you can damage. Couple this with the one class that has the highest DPS. And then throw in QF's uber on top of that.

Shoot the medic.

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Icey wrote: »

Shoot the medic.

This, you can't underline it enough. Even if you're a spy, you might stop the heavy from dealing damage but the medic will continue his team regardless, so target him at all costs.

Also for everyone b*tching about the Quick Fix: At least it's in-canon with Meet the Medic.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So what's the deal with my mic? It works perfectly in Steam itself, and it works in Windows, but in TF2 it won't work at all.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was it plugged in before starting up TF2? Some headsets have trouble recognizing the game if you plug them in after starting up the game.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    2 servers full and it's not even 5pm EST yet. I think I've fallen through a crazy time machine or something.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    I took a couple of screenshots.
    A21D7F97C33A969051E9BF3D74B1088472FA0FEC
    Bugboy does not like hearing about my rocket launcher

D28919AEE2D6D4ECA583B4DB7C88752B2DBCDD03
    This spy is having a look at what's going on

E8050D6D6C3BA1D4F5487623EBE145BD28317208
    Tophat is posing.

You should go dig up that AA option, and turn it on.

xzzy on
    edited June 2011

Shoot the medic.

protip_sm.png

edit - I think I should use this as my spray for the weekend when I encounter f2p newbies.

xzzy on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I plan on joining up at around 6:30 when I get home from work. I crafted a tommy last night and can't wait to get some real time with it.

That_Guy on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That reminds me, xzzy, of something I've been meaning to figure out:

How do you spray things? I'd like to spray up some of my pretty nature photos, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I assumed it was an "Action" slot item, something I've yet to encounter, but I don't see it on the Mann Co. store. Is it a drop-only item or something?

I want to add some green and blue to the mix! Maybe a deer or an eagle or something. halp

hatedinamerica on
    edited June 2011
    Check your controls

Lokiamis on
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've never understood anyone's complaints about adding in new items. I've played the sniper plenty and I've never felt like the new additions were overpowered. The closest thing to being overpowered is the razorback which I love so dearly along with the regular sniper rifle.

sumwar on
    edited June 2011
    Opposite day

Lokiamis on
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    xzzy wrote: »

Shoot the medic.
    protip_sm.png
    edit - I think I should use this as my spray for the weekend when I encounter f2p newbies.

It's not just good advice or a cute picture with diagrams, it's also a t-shirt.

http://store.penny-arcade.com/products/pat070411

Wait, I play medic (and heavy), why am I endorsing this???

nusu on
    edited June 2011
    Was it plugged in before starting up TF2? Some headsets have trouble recognizing the game if you plug them in after starting up the game.

It's a USB headset with no separate mic cord, so the mic's always plugged in.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sumwar wrote: »
    I've never understood anyone's complaints about adding in new items. I've played the sniper plenty and I've never felt like the new additions were overpowered. The closest thing to being overpowered is the razorback which I love so dearly along with the regular sniper rifle.

Actually by far the most common complaint is that most of the items aren't very good. There are just a few (post-buff-pre-nerf Natasha, pre-nerf Direct Hit, et al) that have raised overpower concerns.

And the razorback isn't remotely overpowered. You're giving up an awful lot for a bit of protection against spies.

RAGE. on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    +
    Pyro is fun, nice and simple.

-
    Game is still wildly chaotic. I don't think it's well suited for sniping.

You just don't know the good sniping spots yet.

I killed you quite a few times, and each time you were really close to me and were trying to no-scope. No-scoping is not very effective.

Do not underestimate the power of the 50hp no scope shot. I kill many mans with it.

korodullin wrote: »

If it's with Windows 7 right click the speaker icon in your tray, recording devices, and set it to the default device.

UEAKCrash on
  • RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok, I traded for the new scattergun and played with it some. I think it's that special annoying kind of powerful where you may not be much more effective overall, but many of your individual fights are lopsided in your favor in a way that's really frustrating for the person on the other end.

It wouldn't be a bad weapon without having hype at all (edit: as long as they removed the unmentioned max ramp-up reduction, so it topped out at 105 like the scattergun instead of 90). With the fast reload time, it's not all about getting in, getting the most out of 2 or 6 shots, then escaping - as long as you don't over-commit you can stay in a fight continually reloading and firing, dealing gradual damage, while you still have the option to make an aggressive play and go for a FaN style, high burst damage pick on a medium class. So you can kind of drift between the extremes of scout play - the heckling, midrange Shortstop style all the way to the point blank, 200-damage-and-run FaN style - and while you're not the best at any of them the flexibility counts for a lot.

RSP on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    RAGE. wrote: »
    sumwar wrote: »

Actually by far the most common complaint is that most of the items aren't very good. There are just a few (post-buff-pre-nerf Natasha, pre-nerf Direct Hit, et al) that have raised overpower concerns.

And the razorback isn't remotely overpowered. You're giving up an awful lot for a bit of protection against spies.

Yeah Razorback is one of the few items I will agree is pretty crappy. If there is an amazing spy who is gunning for you and you alone, maaaaaybe it might be worth using. But even then. Look around you often, don't stay scoped in, Jarate that fool when he comes up and Bushwacka crit to his face.

The only thing it is over powered with is one specific instance vs one class. And that class can just decloak and cap you point blank with any pistol and kill you before you can react.

UEAKCrash on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    They could merge the Razorback and Danger Shield and probably still wouldn't be that powerful compared to Jarate. I guess full set Sleeper snipers would be a bit obnoxious.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    The only hugely legit complaint was when the Backburner buffed the Pyro health to something like 250.

Sheep on
  • RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Yeah Razorback is one of the few items I will agree is pretty crappy. If there is an amazing spy who is gunning for you and you alone, maaaaaybe it might be worth using. But even then. Look around you often, don't stay scoped in, Jarate that fool when he comes up and Bushwacka crit to his face.

The only thing it is over powered with is one specific instance vs one class. And that class can just decloak and cap you point blank with any pistol and kill you before you can react.

This. When I'm playing spy and I see some fool using the razorback, that just means I pull out the Ambassador (or, really, any revolver) and kill them in a way that's slightly noisier.

RAGE. on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I can't wait to get to use the new revolver. May finally replace my Ambassador.

Senshi on
    edited June 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

If it's with Windows 7 right click the speaker icon in your tray, recording devices, and set it to the default device.

Already is. It works fine in everything else: windows, Steam, L4D2, but not TF2 for some reason.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited June 2011
    Shields should be in the melee slot for snipers

Lokiamis on
    edited June 2011
    So, what are people's thoughts on the Sydney Sleeper, anyway?

I finally got enough junk weapons to craft the metal needed to make it, and I'm loving it so far. It's amazing on defense, when the enemy team is coming from one specific place and your whole team is firing at that place. Damage, jarate, assist. Damage, jarate, assist. repeat ad nauseum

Don't get many kills with it, but it's awesome for teamwork.

I ditched my Jarate for the Danger Shield (I think. the one that gives more health) and I've been doing ok with it. Need to practice more and get my sniping game back up to where it used to be. Weeks and weeks of playing nothing but Demoman and Pyro have softened my once excellent aim.

hatedinamerica on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so I got a strange natascha from a crate...

deveric on
  • HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's a burn.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I get like 100 ping to Hyperbolic from the UK, pretty rad, server browser cant find the other two but it's been weird all day.

815165 on
    edited June 2011
    Senshi wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't wait to get to use the new revolver. May finally replace my Ambassador.

It's kind of shit unless you go DR. The delay in cloaking feels like an eternity.

xzzy on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Let's trade dudes. I need the following items:

Tomislav
    Soda Popper/Atomizer
    Splendid Screen/Persian Persuader/Ali Baba's Wee Booties
    Liberty Launcher

Alternately I will also accept any of the following:

Half Zatoichi
    Chargin Targe
    Mantreads
    Gloves of Running Urgently
    Sandman

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zek

I have a bunch of metal to trade, add me and let's do business.

Zek on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, what are people's thoughts on the Sydney Sleeper, anyway?

I finally got enough junk weapons to craft the metal needed to make it, and I'm loving it so far. It's amazing on defense, when the enemy team is coming from one specific place and your whole team is firing at that place. Damage, jarate, assist. Damage, jarate, assist. repeat ad nauseum

Don't get many kills with it, but it's awesome for teamwork.

I ditched my Jarate for the Danger Shield (I think. the one that gives more health) and I've been doing ok with it. Need to practice more and get my sniping game back up to where it used to be. Weeks and weeks of playing nothing but Demoman and Pyro have softened my once excellent aim.

I love it. I'm a "crap" sniper because I can't headshot worth a damn if the target's moving, but I can still bodyshot to give them some pee at ranged, softening them up for any other team-mates that are closer to put them down. A charged bodyshot will still do some hefty damage, and a second will usually be enough to put anything down.

Had a decent rampage going with Jarate + the Bushwacker earlier, too.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bodyshots are for scrubs.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • GoldenCoalGoldenCoal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, I don't think I'll be able to play tonight :(, and apparently the update came up right after I stopped playing last night. It's like Valve updated like it did just to laugh at me.

Also, the Fancy Dress Uniform is the first thing I've ever been tempted to buy from the store.

GoldenCoal on
    edited June 2011
    Zek wrote: »

Just tried to add you but my work internet is not liking Steam right now.

Pretty sure I might have the necessary components to craft you some Gloves of Running Urgently, but I'll have to double-check when I get home.

Add me in the meantime, if you want, otherwise I'll do it in a couple hours.

hatedinamerica on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So never played before except once on the xbox... Can someone point me to a website that explains how crafting works? Will try to join up on a server tonight.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama