As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] is now FREE!! You have no excuse not to play. Meet the Medic in OP!!

• Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    (honestly though the heavy needs the spinup buff from a while ago reverted, they don't need to be boss characters, thanks!!!)

I agree. Actually, Valve's utterly terrible handling of TF2's balance has made me a lot less interested in DoTA 2. I don't think they have any real understanding of their game or a vision for the gameplay beyond "let's add more shit."

Pubs have been "whoever has more medic + heavy combos wins" for months now and they haven't shown even the slightest interest in changing that, nor any indication that they're aware of the problem.

Squidget0 on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh. Bought a key, opened a new crate:
    Strange Chargin Targe

Granted, it's better than opening up a series 1-18 crate and getting a backburner or something. Managed to trade the Targe for 1 refined before the hype dies down.

Where did you trade it at? I actually got the same thing today.

UEAKCrash on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I said fuck yeah!

BadasserSnoipah.jpg

now slap some beige paint on the mask and you've got yourself a bitching set of headgear

VALVEjunkie on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    (honestly though the heavy needs the spinup buff from a while ago reverted, they don't need to be boss characters, thanks!!!)

I agree. Actually, Valve's utterly terrible handling of TF2's balance has made me a lot less interested in DoTA 2. I don't think they have any real understanding of their game or a vision for the gameplay beyond "let's add more shit."

Pubs have been "whoever has more medic + heavy combos wins" for months now and they haven't shown even the slightest interest in changing that, nor any indication that they're aware of the problem.

well like, if you go back to the commentary, they talk about the challenge of heavy being knowing when to deploy and when to disengage

with stuff like the spinup buff and the tomislav, there is literally no discerning in those moments, so anyone can be a 300 hp dps monster with low skill entrance

but the game's still fun

although with dota 2 icefrog is still lead balance, so i assume it'll basically be dota

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Hasn't it been said that the TF2 team hates doing balance tests?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Stupids should get on Zissou so we can play the new pl map.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why is there a beta when they don't test the majority of weapons before release and shit on community feedback?

Lokiamis on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    Why is there a beta when they don't test the majority of weapons before release and shit on community feedback?

Because the community feedback has been to shit on the beta.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone here heard of the new taunts?

Enlong on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    on Zissou all alone :(

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited June 2011
    so apparently you might have always been able to do this kind of stuff? i've been doing it on other maps too -- launching off of terrain and corners and shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCMuI4c-nXU

undeinPirat on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The new Detonator is awesome, I've killed like six people due to them thinking I couldn't reach them.

Carnarvon on
    edited June 2011
    i got a whip for whipping goomba's candy ass in a duel

tweet about it goomba

undeinPirat on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    The new Detonator is awesome, I've killed like six people due to them thinking I couldn't reach them.

I'm having a lot of trouble determining when and where it actually explodes. Hopefully it gets better with practice.

mrflippy on
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so apparently you might have always been able to do this kind of stuff? i've been doing it on other maps too -- launching off of terrain and corners and shit

I'm makin' videos! And oddly enough, this would be the very subject...of sorts.
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/iT2oSnGejok

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'm makin' videos! And oddly enough, this would be the very subject...of sorts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT2oSnGejok

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cross posting dis

Goose! wrote: »
    Fun games tonight, folks! I've got a screen cap and a video from the evening

Here's the cap, Dely lost something precious:
    g4ulF.jpg

And the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZP-vtdbAdg

Goose! on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just burned through 6 refined crafting all the interesting looking new weapons.

Love playing with the Tomislav and Liberty Launcher. The Tomislav fits in my heavy playstyle perfectly: GRU, Sandvich, hopping about all the time. And the Liberty Launcher is great because it makes it easy to swat those darned scouts. Tried the Mantreads but I like taking a shotgun to complement any 3-shot launcher.

The Disciplinary Action is awesome as well. Whip your team and they love you. Whip your medic just before an uber and speed out there like a boss.

New Demoknight looks interesting but I will have to figure out what times he's good. Maybe on defense or something. I played a bit but missed my grenade launcher.

Have not tried the quick fix or soda popper yet but they look interesting.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The new sword, targe shield and grenade launcher actually makes a really potent combo. Use the grenade launcher with incredible mobility at no real cost until ammo runs dry, then charge in and take out the medic in a suicide mission of glory for more ammo. Unless your team has an engineer with a dispenser, which refills ammo even with that sword.

I'm loving the unmentioned buffs to the charge, like doing it in the air and water.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mantreads are so fucking bad. Why even put this in the game? Completely, utterly useless.

They should roll the bonuses into the gunboats and maybe create an item actually worth equipping. Its staggering how poorly balanced these things are.

Also, saying the tomislav fits your playstyle perfectly is like saying breathing air fits your lifestyle perfectly. Who the fuck wouldn't want their minigun in zero spin up time flavour? Shit's gonna get nerfed hard, even Valve's team of the worst balance judges in the world can't let this crap slide for long.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I believe tonight was some of the finest team fortressing we've done in a while, particularly those games on freight and mountain lab.

Jakorian on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I dunno if they just work really fast to get these patches out, but TF2 is like a festering pile of shit.

Crashes all the time, and my framerate is now unplayable bad. And my settings are recommended with quite a few (like shadows and textures) lower than that. I did the fps fix that the forums had stickied, which worked as well as I expected (did nothing), so yeah. Pretty awesome. I can expect to maybe play for 30-45 minutes before crashing or just getting annoyed at the choppy, inconsistent framerate.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I dunno if they just work really fast to get these patches out, but TF2 is like a festering pile of shit.

Crashes all the time, and my framerate is now unplayable bad. And my settings are recommended with quite a few (like shadows and textures) lower than that. I did the fps fix that the forums had stickied, which worked as well as I expected (did nothing), so yeah. Pretty awesome. I can expect to maybe play for 30-45 minutes before crashing or just getting annoyed at the choppy, inconsistent framerate.

This happens to me as well. Its gotten steadily worse throughout the years. Frequent frameskipping in combat and I usually crash within an hour of starting the game.

Squidget0 on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone have a spare Detonator they would trade?

Rizzi on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So uhm, how do you get better at this?

I've only played a few games, and I've gone in as the medic, and just used the healing gun and followed the herd.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TF2 runs fine for me, though it does occasionally hitch up, but if I let it sit for about ten seconds, it goes back to normal

It's mildly irritating, but it doesn't crash, so I can't bring myself to care much

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Turkson wrote: »
    So uhm, how do you get better at this?

I've only played a few games, and I've gone in as the medic, and just used the healing gun and followed the herd.

play pyro, hit W+mouse1. Actually, you just need to keep playing, a few rounds as medic gets you used to how the battlefield looks, but it doesnt get you reacting to whats happening. It gets you reacting to how the player you are following is reacting. Try playing pyro or soldier. If you are having fun you really arent losing anything, so just keep playing.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel the Tomislav, and the Demoknight set will all get nerfs eventually. Valve is good with eventually listening to user feedback.

Remember in the first few days of the sniper/spy update, the ambassador was supposed to shoot through multiple targets, and, since they were too lazy to model that behavior, they used the flamethrower damage model. Cue spies getting multiple headshots through the grate before the round even started. It was made even worse by the random drop system that meant only a lucky few could try that before it got nerfed

Serious_Scrub on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is weird. I rendered a huge-ass replay (final file over 2GB) and when I press Youtube it in game, it says it can't find the file. I can find the file just fine, so I guess I could just upload it manually, but I'd kinda prefer to have the match tag on it.

Also, maybe I shouldn't use maximum settings for all replays. It took two hours to render.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK. I rendered and uploaded a tiny clip from the same replay to get the match tag and now my huge video is gone. Stupid replays. Right now I wish you could just share the replay files in-game so you didn't have to render them.

Peewi on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How long was it? I think a 90 second replay took about 12-15 minutes to render on max settings and max quality for me.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've just realized that TF2 being free allows anyone and everyone to play all source mods for free. Doesn't it?

I'm in no way saying this due to noticing a rush of unskilled players in Dystopia.

Antithesis on
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    How long was it? I think a 90 second replay took about 12-15 minutes to render on max settings and max quality for me.

6 minutes. Was me and Italax destroying a pub server on Upward.
    Antithesis wrote: »
    I've just realized that TF2 being free allows anyone and everyone to play all source mods for free. Doesn't it?

I'm in no way saying this due to noticing a rush of unskilled players in Dystopia.

On another site, I saw someone saying that he did not actually have access to the Source mods.

Peewi on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wasn't HL2 Deathmatch free to everyone with an Nvidia card or something?

Also, more than Heavy+Medic combos, spies really wreck havoc with the influx of new people. I've set a new personal backstab record, something that I haven't been able to do since the beta. Medics stand still much more often, and you can pass by many players without suspicion. Good snipers will also incite many people on the other team to counter-snipe to little avail, effectively eliminating 1/4 of the team.

Serious_Scrub on
    edited June 2011
    Wasn't HL2 Deathmatch free to everyone with an Nvidia card or something?

Yeah. Also ATI users. Doesn't give access to Source mods, though.

Peewi on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a spare liberty launcher and Heavy's new shotgun (The family business) and would be willing to let them go to good homes for the soldier's new shotgun and a can of bonk? :twisted:

ps The spy's new stuff is so nice that I don't even miss the 25hp. Though using it with the dead ringer is kind of a must I think

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Liberty Launcher is so nice.

I have both of those but I do have a spare bonk laying around. Got anything else you'd like to trade off?

CheesecakeRecipe on
    edited June 2011

I have both of those but I do have a spare bonk laying around. Got anything else you'd like to trade off?

lemme take a look at what I have. I think I got mostly craft fodder drops last night

Edit: Yeah nothing of real note unless you're looking for paint

I have a spare pyro token and L'etranger if you're looking to craft a detonator or the spy's new gun. Also: Crit-a-Cola, spare FAN

Beezel on
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beezel wrote: »

lemme take a look at what I have. I think I got mostly craft fodder drops last night

I have a spare pyro token and L'etranger if you're looking to craft a detonator or the spy's new gun. Also: Crit-a-Cola, spare FAN

I'll take that L'etranger for crafting purposes. Steam ID's in the sig!

CheesecakeRecipe on
    edited June 2011

Thanks for the bonk!

Beezel on
    edited June 2011

Thanks for the bonk!

And thank you sir for the L'etranger and assorted paints!

CheesecakeRecipe on