As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]The old thread is dead. Long live the new thread.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    /shudder

Underwater combat.

shryke on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It looks awesome. With a huge chunk of the game actually designed around it, we can expect it to not be clunky like other MMO swimming, I'm sure. The impressions are very positive.

Anyway, the fanday is actually ongoing. It looks like they are currently finishing the tour so I imagine there will be gameplay impressions later from the journalists, or something like that.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    It looks awesome. With a huge chunk of the game actually designed around it, we can expect it to not be clunky like other MMO swimming, I'm sure. The impressions are very positive.

Anyway, the fanday is actually ongoing. It looks like they are currently finishing the tour so I imagine there will be gameplay impressions later from the journalists, or something like that.

The main thing is no movement penalty, so your not link with Iron Boots, just swimming around full run speed.

Also damnit ArenaNet, you are really gonna have underwater versions of every skill? That is insane and I love it.

Who-Psyd on
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure if it is for every skill. We get a separate skill bar when we dive underwater, so we may have to tweak our build slightly. Plus, with the underwater weapons, most people probably will want to use different utilities anyway. The fact that there are skills which work both above and below the surface with a different visual effect for each is a nice touch though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What's the range on that char's sword!? D:

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy shit, this was much more then I expected from this fanday thing. Colour me impressed and oh shnaps GW2 dungeon stuff yusss!

Now I have something concrete to put in the OP dungeon section.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure if it is for every skill. We get a separate skill bar when we dive underwater, so we may have to tweak our build slightly. Plus, with the underwater weapons, most people probably will want to use different utilities anyway. The fact that there are skills which work both above and below the surface with a different visual effect for each is a nice touch though.

Yeah, it looks like with underwater weapons and underwater skills, it's practically a different game.

The 3D though. That's always the big thing that never works.

shryke on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    /shudder

Underwater combat.

They are making it look decidedly non-awful.

Burden of Proof on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah, it looks like with underwater weapons and underwater skills, it's practically a different game.

The 3D though. That's always the big thing that never works.

The only alarming thing is the bit about how you can hit enemies above your target which seem to suggest that combat is really just 2D superimposed on a 3D environment (that is, AOE attacks affect the entire Z-axis).

Shanadeus on
    edited June 2011
    I took that to imply that AoE attacks are spheres, rather than the circles they are on land.

Edit: Gamespot article

There's a video with the article. This is an actual gameplay demo as opposed to the merely "in-game" video I posted earlier. Shows underwater combat in practice (and in HD). Looks very slick. Definitely watch this one guys.

Edit2: Youtube version of the video for your convenience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfph49mdiPY

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The OP is now being updated with all this new and juicy info. Stay tuned.

I WANT THIS GAME.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    thought I was watching a clip of someone fighting a Lagiacrus in monster hunter tri

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Everytime I see this game in action I get sad because I can't play it yet.

reVerse on
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can't wait for Beta.

Maou on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's a pretty great video.

Shanadeus on
  • Saint_DipsetSaint_Dipset Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Next class reveal: Disco Bandit.

I'd bet my life on it.

Also, those two HUGE pictures are still stretching the OP beyond the horizontal reaches of my old-timey piece of crap monitor.

I guess when I build my next gaming rig with a wide screen monitor I'll stop whining about it... So poor. So very, very poor.

I apologize, but the graph needs to be there and the other one is really good where it is. I definately agree that you probably need a new gaming rig, not so much for looking at some pics though, but for the game itself. No rush, you got plenty of time.

Happy update: Have since gotten a quad-core Phenom II, a 5670, and 6 gigs of ram, all on the cheap!

Now I spend all day refreshing this thread until GW2 is out.

SO LONELY.

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    It's ok, you are not alone. We will somehow make it through the long, tortuous wait.

I watched that combat video twice. So good. Will look so much better when the real thing is running on my PC too. Yessss.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited June 2011
    I've already started saving money to build a new computer specifically for this game. It helps pass the time.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Uh, so...this game is going to be amazing. I have never been this excited for a game before. This is the MMO that I have been waiting almost a decade for. This is how the genre should be. I hope this game's release marks a shift in how MMOs are designed because ArenaNet is hitting nearly all the marks for me.

Sarksus on
    edited June 2011
    Interview from the fanday:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Los-MliDhY

As it is a video, I typed up the answers as I watched it. More convenient for those of you who just want the info.
    How intelligent is the NPC AI?

Variable intelligence and cooperation (to adjust challenge). Enemies will pick up weapons to use if their ally drops one.

Guild system?

There will be a guild system. More functionality/options/cool-things than any game previously. Otherwise no-comment.

Size of weapon models relative to character race?

Weapons scale to race so they are proportionate to the character.

Effectiveness of different classes with the same weapon?

Two classes use the same weapon in different ways/styles.

How many players per server?

Still finalizing. Aiming for a large population to facilitate plenty of allies during dynamic events and WvWvW.

Number of character slots?

Still finalizing.

Technical aspect of large numbers of players/skills on screen in WvW.

They are aiming to make it smooth despite the large amount of stuff going on.

Some enemy/boss skills should be more obvious. (The players had trouble with a dungeon encounter in the demo, apparently, due to the flashy effects of the party's own skills blocking the view)

Something they are developing. They aim for all that sort of information to be available so that you can tell visually what is going on in combat.

Realism of NPC behaviors (in town, etc)?

NPCs wander around and have animations/interactions so that they are believable.

Gathering?

Designed such that you can gather a lot of materials as you play through events and such, but also that people who just want to gather should be able to wander around and do that without getting into combat all the time.

(General comments about how they enjoy showing off the game during the fanday for the fans to see)

(Talking about how they pickup feedback from the GW2 forums. Example; they are refining the cutscene animations after negative feedback about them)

Favorite part of GW2 design/environment for the devs?

The dynamic nature of ad-hoc groups that are formed as you run into other players during events. Sense of just being able to find people in the server community to play with without having to "set up a group". Run into someone in an event and then tag along with them to the next adventure, dungeon, etc.

The little details. Examples; rabbits who dash away as you run by, sheep grazing in a field, and other details that make the game world interesting/alive.

Dye system and the detail of character creation options.

That different professions are able to use the same weapon in different ways.

(Colin hints at BIG surprises coming for Gamescom, and lots of information around the time of the summer/fall conventions ANet is attending)

GW2 Media Day Wrap-up from Massive Online Gamer
    Once we had experimented with underwater combat for a while, we were paired up into groups of five, and given a chance to run a dungeon. Unfortunately, I think everyone was given the advice to create an elementalist, and I ended up in a group with three other elementalists and one developer. Surprisingly, this wasn’t much of an issue; after a few initial wipes, we got the hang of things. Interestingly enough, the three parties running the instance had very different party makeups, but all finished the dungeon within about 30 seconds of each other in a half-hour run.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited June 2011
    That is really awesome news about composition having so little impact on success!

Sarksus on
    edited June 2011
    Sarksus wrote: »
    That is really awesome news about composition having so little impact on success!

As it should be.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel I don't even need any more info on the game. I've been sold for many months now and I just want to buy it and play it already

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have to be completely honest here:

I would pay double price if I could have the game NOW.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only thing I don't like in that video is that all those dungeon enemies seem to be big HP sponges. I liked the GW team-on-team battles better.

Also the enemies' lack of cornering animations looks extremely silly with particularly large enemies (re:giant fish).

Xagar on
    edited June 2011
    OP is updated with Enig's Q&A video as well as Zzulu and Klyka's quotes which I think fit in well with the thread's ever present mood of gleeful anticipation.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xagar wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like in that video is that all those dungeon enemies seem to be big HP sponges. I liked the GW team-on-team battles better.

Also the enemies' lack of cornering animations looks extremely silly with particularly large enemies (re:giant fish).

It sounds like they're working on it. I'd imagine they've only got the base systems down; they'll probably have to tune a lot more for each individual dungeon.

Sounds like they're tweaking appearances in various places, too. I like that they're going back and looking at dialog animations; they were a little awkward.

Regardless, I think this might be my forethought for any future news about Guild Wars 2 from ArenaNet:

5r6lj9f

naengwen on
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really want to see that 4-Elementalist party they ran for that dungeon, just imagining the possibilities with each focusing on a separate attunement would be magical to see in the fluid graphics. I can understand from what we've seen how it can be bothersome in small areas to have big flashy AoEs going off everywhere.

Tyberius on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Visual Overload: The Game

Xagar on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You need to upgrade your Player RAM.

Have a beer.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Everything from this fanday sounds great. What I love more than anything from the underwater stuff is all the cool visual effects from going in and out of the water. The droplets of water still on your screen when you get out is awesome fluff but more importantly gives nice visual indication of what 'state' your character is in.

Also super glad you can do both story version and 'Lets just do it' version of the dungeons. WoW's instance areas are always cool but it can be a pain waiting for some boss to finish a speech you've heard 20 times before.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
    edited June 2011
    I like that there will be other underwater breathing apparatuses available beyond the starting default one with which to further customize yourself when plumbing the depths.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That underwater video is probably the biggest letdown I've seen revealed so far. It doesn't look like fun. It looks largely like standard MMO combat, but underwater. That's an issue, because nothing else we've seen so far has looked like standard MMO combat. Sure, the movement speed is decent and there are no breathing issues. But those were things needed to make spending long periods of time underwater bearable, not things needed to make hanging out underwater awesome.

I guess I was also kinda disappointed by the underwater "city" shown. When I heard "underwater city", I was imagining a big steampunk dome or something at the bottom of a massive crevice. Dudes hanging out in a tunnel with egg-buildings who tell you about things happening on the surface is less interesting.

Who cares about the surface?! We've got underwater cities, man. Let's go attack a shrine in the evil fishpeople metropolis or something.

Frem on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dude, that "underwater city" was a Quagga village under a lake.
    They already said there are entire underwater cities and areas. Like, so deep IN THE OCEAN (not a lake) that you dive down for about 45seconds to 1 minute.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited June 2011
    How does that look like standard MMO combat? It looks the same as the surface stuff to me, or very similar. Fast paced, weapon-switching, the profession mechanic in use, etc. Some of what makes GW2 combat special comes into play when you have multiple players, and that was solo, so that might be part of it.

Plus that was like a river next to Lion's Arch. Why would there be a huge underwater city there?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One thing about the underwater combat I found fascinating:

Is it me, or did those harpoon guns have a kickback?

Kick ass.

naengwen on
    edited June 2011
    Well one of the Thief harpoon gun skills is a retreat skill. I think they mentioned that Engineers have one that pulls you back also (and drags your foe with you).

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited June 2011
    Well one of the Thief harpoon gun skills is a retreat skill. I think they mentioned that Engineers have one that pulls you back also (and drags your foe with you).

;-)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited June 2011
    I think the underwater combat looks great. There being a difference between how a monster fights on land and underwater is going to make for some really interesting battles, I think. If you're on land or underwater and things aren't going well for you then maybe you could find an advantage by moving underwater/onto the land in order to change how the monster fights and what you're able to use against it.

The way the down state works underwater is also really cool. By being able to revive yourself by surfacing it makes underwater combat less frustrating but of course you might not always have the option to resurface if you're in an underwater cave or you won't have time if you're too deep so that adds another thing to be thinking about tactically. And lastly, it just looks damn cool. The atmosphere of the underwater content and the effects of the skills shown off looked great. It really made it feel like you were fighting on another world.

Usually underwater just means having a blue filter applied over your screen and the developers calling it quits. So along with the attention to detail in that regard and the tactical differences between fighting on land and underwater and also the way the down state works I find it hard to conclude this is just like regular MMO combat. It's fresh and new and I intend on being underwater quite a lot! I hope that there are tropical areas with transparent pool-like water and sandy ocean floors.

Sarksus on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope we get to fight a big-ass Dragon underwater, holy shit

SJ on