As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadows of the DAMNED- Hot girlfriends... FROM HELL. Suda X Mikami X Yamaoka

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    4-1 is a bit of a bastard, but compared to, say, Dead Space's horrible, horrible turret sections, it's not really anything.

Xagarath on
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nothing like having a load screen in between a boss's different forms. It only happened once for me but it's just one of the things that highlight how new GHM is to using Unreal. 'Spose they gotta start their HD game making somewhere.
    It sucks that the bosses don't get any lines. Having their story books is cool but I want to hear them tell their own tales, before Garcia shoots em down. I guess the NMH games have spoilt me.

Lenore03 on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    Nothing like having a load screen in between a boss's different forms. It only happened once for me but it's just one of the things that highlight how new GHM is to using Unreal. 'Spose they gotta start their HD game making somewhere.
    It sucks that the bosses don't get any lines. Having their story books is cool but I want to hear them tell their own tales, before Garcia shoots em down. I guess the NMH games have spoilt me.
    Stinky Crow has that one line

Xagarath on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Horrorfying fridge logic moment I just had.
    All those corpses that George was munching on and littering the ground. All your girlfriend. Flemming lets his bros "eat out" his girl.
    D:

Psychotic One on
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got this delivered Thursday. Am enjoying it immensely. Odd glitch, though: the game unlocked the shotgun-equivalent before I gained the relevant blue gem. Anyone else encounter this?

Red or Alive on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's supposed to happen. Instead, the gem gives you an upgraded version. You can even upgrade it with red gems (but only recharge speed, I believe) up until you get the full version.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So guys, at the first boss, is this a bug, or is this just them being really retarded in their design?
    Talking about at the opera singer's monster.

There was a voice cue after I defeated it (after trying several different things over and over and over). This voice cue literally told you how to fight the boss, that you just killed.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    So guys, at the first boss, is this a bug, or is this just them being really retarded in their design?

There was a voice cue after I defeated it (after trying several different things over and over and over). This voice cue literally told you how to fight the boss, that you just killed.

Was it something that ends with Gacia saying "Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve."? Cause that is supposed to happen after the fight, I think? It's retarded to have that important piece of info given after you'd have needed it for the first time. But this is after you fight that monster column in the graveyard with the giant ruby weakspots isn't it?

Wouldn't be surprised if your talking about some other audio cue that got mixed up. There be bugs in this game for sure.

Edit: Im remembering it wrong. Johnson definitely talks about the weakness at the start of the fight, AND the fight happens before the graveyard. Like basically at the start o the game.

Lenore03 on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I once loaded up the game and started in complete darkness. Luckily I was only a few feet away from a door, and the next area loaded just fine. That’s definitely not something that’s supposed to happen, is it?

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011

You are correct. This is exactly what happens. One other thing stood out the same way, 3-1 or 3-2 I think:
    The first time you battle a Grim Sister - Johnson pulls a whole "remember what I said about these?" routine .... except he never had said anything about them at all.
    [/SPOILER]

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Except he did. He said shoot them in the red part.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I mean, it was pretty obvious to shoot them in the red part, but besides that I felt left in the dark on how to accomplish it, because its a very 1-2 thing, if you cheese it to get to step 2, it doesnt count as hurting the monster.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seeing that it's suda I wouldn't be surprised if it's a parody of handholding in games or some other shit.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's been kinda obvious on how to kill bosses this far.
    So yeah, I haven't seen the problem. It's kinda funny.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's been kinda obvious on how to kill bosses this far.
    So yeah, I haven't seen the problem. It's kinda funny.

Same. The whole thing was a breezy, comfortable experience with just enough challenge to make it interesting, for me.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If the boss winces in pain, you're doing something right.
    If it doesn't? Well, you're not doing something right now are you?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow. I'm going to have to tentatively give this game my coveted Disappointment of the Year award. I was expecting a lot more from all the praise here and pretty much every other site but all I got was a messier version of Resident Evil 3 with overly complex controls and the lamest humour I've ever seen. I'm just amazed by how it completely and utterly falls flat.

And WHY, in an industry CRAWLING with actors, is it so impossible to actually hire one who ACTUALLY has the accent you need in your character rather then some shmoe who sounds like Dick Van Dyke trying to be edgy?

I didn't even make it through the first level so I hate to even drop an opinion on this but with the flood of other games coming out, the initial impression I got was so poor I can't imagine it ever even making into the dvd slot again.

edit: As people have pointed out I meant RE4 up there. Please ignore my very intense brain damage.

Magic Pink on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Resident Evil 3? Really?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You didn't finish the first level?

So you didn't play for more than 20 minutes, and you feel qualified to make an informed opinion about the rest of the game.

Legit.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    Resident Evil 3? Really?

Yeah, I know it's a stretch to compare a 3rd Person over the shoulder shooting game where you shoot zombies with a 3rd Person over the shoulder shooting game where you shoot zombies. But I'm crazy that way! :P

Not saying the game is bad at all ( I loved the title cards) but it's just missing the mark for me completely. What hit me most was the humour. That's all I've heard about it from the get go and what little I read (the guy's middle name is Fucking? Sign me up!) I loved but then to see it in action is sounds like a 6th grader trying to be cool.

Magic Pink on
    edited June 2011

So you didn't play for more than 20 minutes, and you feel qualified to make an informed opinion about the rest of the game.

Legit.

Yeah, just like you didn't finish reading my post.

Magic Pink on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Resident evil 3 isn't 3rd person over the shoulder. o_O

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited June 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Resident evil 3 isn't 3rd person over the shoulder. o_O

Oh fuck you're right. I never played 3 so whenever I think of RE4 I always think of it as 3.

Jeeze, I never noticed that until now. I = goose.

Magic Pink on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Legit.

Well played, sir.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Legit.

Well played, sir.

:^:

But yeah, by all means, take what I'm saying with a big ol' rock of salt.

Magic Pink on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was a bit let down by the ending and boss fights, but what can you do? Enjoyed the overall game and am happy with my decision to buy it, but lack of replay/new game+ put this in my 'one and done' category.

I feel secure in the knowledge that I've done my part to support the devs. Now I'm trading this on Goozex for LA Noire and I feel thrifty, since all I'm paying is three dollars for shipping.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    It's kinda funny how liberal the game is with trophies and yet it doesn't even stack the difficulty ones.

Lenore03 on
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just beat the Stinky Crow. He was was less frustrating than the second Sister Grim.

I love the storybooks in this game.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Damn... this game looks bananas

Wouldn't you know it... go to bump it to #1 on my GamFly Q since they send me nothing anyways.. and they finally shipped DNF.

Bah...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you know it... go to bump it to #1 on my GamFly Q since they send me nothing anyways.. and they finally shipped DNF.
    That's pretty fitting, don't you think?

Monger on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That's pretty fitting, don't you think?

Ha! Actually it is.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jurg wrote: »
    Just beat the Stinky Crow. He was was less frustrating than the second Sister Grim.

There are more books that G will read like that? Stinky Crow was the only one Ive seen so far, did I miss any?

Was rather amusing to have him read it though.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Man Who Never Had His Fill came before. After George I believe. (Was about George).

Oh and Johnson reads the first one.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Jurg wrote: »

There are more books that G will read like that? Stinky Crow was the only one Ive seen so far, did I miss any?

Was rather amusing to have him read it though.

There are I think 4 books, and a series of posters with a story too.
    George, Stinky Crow, The Grim Sisters, Justine, and the posters about the Huntress

ManetherenWolf on
    edited June 2011
    So I was having a lot of fun with this game, but for some reason it didn't feel very Suda 51. Then I got to Act 4. Haha, I was hoping it would get weird.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    which is why it pains me that there's no chapter select or anything, because I can't show anyone choice moments like that in action

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JJ wrote: »
    I was kinda hoping for something a bit more genre defying. The more I watch the trailer the less disappointed I am, but hopefully there's more to it than RE4 with more style and demons.

If this is RE4 starring Travis touchdown but actually slightly scary then what more could anyone want?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited June 2011
    JJ wrote: »
    I was kinda hoping for something a bit more genre defying. The more I watch the trailer the less disappointed I am, but hopefully there's more to it than RE4 with more style and demons.

If this is RE4 starring Travis touchdown but actually slightly scary then what more could anyone want?

Garcia Fucking Hotspur is not really like Travis Touchdown. And "what more could you want" seems like a weird question to ask about a Suda 51 game. He is all about shattering expectations and coming up with something totally wild.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2011
    Finished this game. With the exception of the second reaper fight, it was a ton of fun from start to finish. I don't really play a lot of shooters, but the sense of style in this game really helped me get into it.

Also, I really dug playing as a Hispanic character. It's not something you see too often in games.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shadows of the Damned is $40 at Fry's, for those who haven't bought it yet.

Renzo on