As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA XIV: Cheick Kongo vs. The World

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Either way it sucks that they're getting rid of Nate since the Middleweight division kind of needed him.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My guess is that the news will leak out in the next few days/week that Nate had some kind of blood disease.

Or maybe he had inhuman piss like Thiago.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Punchy McFistPunchy McFist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Apparently Roger Gracie is out of his fight with King Mo due to a nagging injury.

So, yep. Today blows for MMA news.

Punchy McFist on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy crap.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Two main things going around about Marquardt is that he either got caught juicing or with a diuretic.

The third and most likely thing I've heard is that he was around 181 or something this morning and AC officials stopped him from cutting anymore weight due to health concerns.

Wibod on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wibod wrote: »
    Two main things going around about Marquardt is that he either got caught juicing or with a diuretic.

The third and most likely thing I've heard is that he was around 181 or something this morning and AC officials stopped him from cutting anymore weight due to health concerns.

I can't imagine that the AC not letting him lose more weight would cause an instant cut from the UFC

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    And I just read an article about how easy the weight cut was going to be for him. They probably caught him on hella drugs.

Dynagrip on
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is Nate Marquardt the next Josh Barnett?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wibod wrote: »

I can't imagine that the AC not letting him lose more weight would cause an instant cut from the UFC

I dunno, fucking up like that when you're headlining would piss Dana off enough to cut you I'd think.

Anyways since I posted that apparently it's not related to PEDs or weight, so it's a mystery.

Wibod on
    edited June 2011
    Curran just caught a Peruvian in a Peruvian Necktie. Awesome.

Punchy McFist on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nate wtfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Ariel Helwani's Twitter said that he's got a pre-fight interview with Dana White on Versus tomorrow. Also said that he'll have some sort of statement from Marquardt's camp.

So if you want to know what's happening, I would suggest tuning into Versus an hour before the show starts. I think that's when all the pre-show interviews and hype will be starting.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ariel Helwani's Twitter said that he's got a pre-fight interview with Dana White on Versus tomorrow. Also said that he'll have some sort of statement from Marquardt's camp.

So if you want to know what's happening, I would suggest tuning into Versus an hour before the show starts. I think that's when all the pre-show interviews and hype will be starting.
    Yeah there's no sense throwing around random speculation, when the reasons could range from not making weight or failing a drug test, to refusing to throw a fight.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited June 2011
    I love you, B:L.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I'm still putting my money on a blood disease of some kind. Hep C, maybe.

I doubt they would outright cut him for not making weight (see Paul Daley, Thiago Alves) or having PEDs in his system (see Sean Sherk and Tim Sylvia). Hell, Rampage got to stay with the company after going on a bender and running over people in his stupid truck.

People only get released from the UFC for a few things: Bad record, major medical issue (thought I can't think of anyone who has been straight up released for medicals in the past), having issues outside the cage (Chael), or having a bad attitude (Duffee).

I'll be surprised if it's not a medical issue of some kind.

ChillyWilly on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    i knew the throwing a fight thing would come into it

Dynagrip on
    edited June 2011
    I heard Silva got robbed in Bellator. Did anyone see that?

edited June 2011
    B:L wrote: »

Genair da Silva? He lost pretty clearly, in my opinion. He didn't really have anything for Sandro and was a little too gun-shy. I was actually surprised that one judge gave him the nod.

Punchy McFist on
    edited June 2011

Genair da Silva? He lost pretty clearly, in my opinion. He didn't really have anything for Sandro and was a little too gun-shy. I was actually surprised that one judge gave him the nod.

Disagree.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011

Disagree.

Why would you give him the fight, though? I'm just curious because I thought it was a pretty easy decision. Silva was competitive but he was never the one dictating the action or landing the more effective blows. He got lamped and nearly finished in the first, and I thought he was outstruck for the remaining two rounds. His kicks were impressive, but I didn't think they were as effective as Sandro's strikes. For every haymaker that Silva threw, Sandro landed a cleaner straight punch. The scores from Bloody Elbow and Sherdog both have 30-27 Sandro scorecards, which were pretty much in line with my scoring. I wasn't even aware there was controversy until B:L asked.

Punchy McFist on
    edited June 2011
    Just watched a video about Nate's weight cut.

He looked fantastic and was having no issues cutting weight at all. I don't even think the guy needed to really cut much water before the fight. (Strangely enough, he is seen sharing a sauna with Brenneman)

Weight cutting was not the issue.

Still pissed. Nate is my favorite fighter.

Edit:
    I'm sorry to all my fans and the UFC for not passing the medicals for tonight's fight. I'm heart broken I couldn't fight, but I will b back.

Chilly's blood disease idea busted? Can't cure Hep C.

Goddamnit Nate was probably juicing again. Fuuu

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Breaking news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg06_UAwSWU

Living Death: Try Harder

Apparently they're fighting with a special rule set: 8 3-minute rounds, where the action will be stood up if they are on the ground for more than 30 seconds.

If more organizations utilized these rules against wrestlers we'd certainly have less UFCdecisions.

• Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Breaking news:

Apparently they're fighting with a special rule set: 8 3-minute rounds, where the action will be stood up if they are on the ground for more than 30 seconds.

If more organizations utilized these rules against wrestlers we'd certainly have less UFCdecisions.

Why the hell would Ken agree to those terms? That kills his chance of Couture'ing Toney. Those rules just seem idiotic to me. I understand wanting less boring ground fights, but 30 sec is too extreme of a limit on the ground. I don't know how you'd have time to lock any type of sub in unless you'd essentially judo thrown someone into the hold.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I don't know...Ken isn't a good MMA fighter anymore, but if he takes Toney down and wants to submit him, I'm sure he could do it in under 30 seconds. The only reason Couture took so long when he fought Toney was that he felt like playing with his food. :lol:

Spectre, you might be right. I figured something extreme like Hep C would be the only reason he would be cut so quickly, but I could certainly be wrong. Guess we'll find out in about 3 hours.

Unless someone can find a report from the Penn State Athletic Commission. I thought they were supposed to release around 4 pm EST today.

ChillyWilly on
    edited June 2011
    Breaking news:

Why the hell would Ken agree to those terms? That kills his chance of Couture'ing Toney. Those rules just seem idiotic to me. I understand wanting less boring ground fights, but 30 sec is too extreme of a limit on the ground. I don't know how you'd have time to lock any type of sub in unless you'd essentially judo thrown someone into the hold.
    It's better than the alternative of one round boxing rules, next round mma rules and alternate. Everyone saw what happened under that rule set with Cosplay Fighter vs Aoki. :wink:

The fight is still favoring Ken since he can easily pull off a takedown and a leg lock.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    as terrible as it would be for this sport for him to lose
    i think it would be hilarious if shamrock lost

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited June 2011
    Facebook prelims are on

Michael Johnson looked superb

now if only i would have done PAFC.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    No one wins from Shamrock/Toney, especially the fans.

Also, holy shit. Where was that Michael Johnson on TUF?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    fmz65 wrote: »
    No one wins from Shamrock/Toney, especially the fans.

Also, holy shit. Where was that Michael Johnson on TUF?

Really though, looked great. That Hawaiian had great kicks... and not a whole lot else. His hands were looking pretty weak when they were engaging.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else's Facebook stream not working? I'm just staring at a black screen.

ChillyWilly on
    edited June 2011
    My stream just went from OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT QUALITY

to what the fuck look at that quality

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Facebook prelims are on

Michael Johnson looked superb

now if only i would have done PAFC.

fuck, i wanted to watch him fight.

hopefully they'll replay it during the main event.

Dynagrip on
    edited June 2011
    Damn you UFC! Stop putting on so many events right now, I need to study :/

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited June 2011
    figures another first round TKO

i always pick first round TKOs on PAFC and the one time i don't pickcchauydahf

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Wooo Charles Oliveira!

He's one of my favorite up and comers.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited June 2011
    Holy crap that was an awesome round.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Man, this blank screen is some entertaining shit.

ChillyWilly on
    edited June 2011
    whoopsy on that illegal (but uncalled) knee

Dynagrip on
    edited June 2011
    ...and controversy!

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    It really is a shame for Olivera, he was clearly winning, and now its a black mark against him. Obviously he shouldn't pull that shiit, though really in my mind it just highlights how fucking stupid that rule is in the first place.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg