As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saddest day of my life - Yu Suzuki is leaving Sega

2»

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SEGA did make Valkyria Chronicles recently. That's pretty much the extent of their recent high quality work, though.

Total War Series
    Bayonetta
    Mad World
    Sonic Colors
    Vanquish
    House of the Dead OverKill

These are all good games.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Halibut wrote: »
    Agahnim wrote: »
    Whats with all the TSR hate?

I'll admit that I was on the hate bandwagon at first, but I'm willing to overlook the "saddest day of my life" hyperbole because we all do it.

Video games have certainly been linked to some of the happiest days of my life; I don't see why the opposite couldn't be true.

Well said.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    SEGA did make Valkyria Chronicles recently. That's pretty much the extent of their recent high quality work, though.

Total War Series
    Bayonetta
    Mad World
    Sonic Colors
    Vanquish
    House of the Dead OverKill

These are all good games.

They made one of those games.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, but like EA they have sub groups. Sega did fund all of those projects.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They used to develop quality original IPs, though. In-house. Those days are done.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sega was directly responsible for Alpha Protocol having the shittiest gunplay in it's genre

So fuck Sega, basically

Yu Suzuki hasn't made anything good in the last decade, either

Shenmue 3 was never ever going to happen and he had nothing else left

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    They used to develop quality original IPs, though. In-house. Those days are done.

There still are the AM R&D teams out there, but what they're working on god only knows.

Then there is the NE teams which Yu directed, last game they made was in 2009 or so.

Global Entertainment R+D consist of UGA and Sonic Team, also one other group. They're still active and around.

These are probably the last of the in-house teams, but yeah I don't know too many publishers that don't have aquired groups/offsets.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think the important thing that came to light here is the Smithsonian thing.

Namely, that Halo 2 goes in, as opposed to, well, any other Halo game. Mildly odd, all I'm saying.

The leaving Sega thing could be good, bad, or indifferent depending on where he goes. Can't know from here.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TSR's hero is retiring. Of course his reaction is over the top, but I'm far more surprised at just how much negativity the "saddest day of my life" statement is generating.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Davoid wrote: »
    literally the only video game maker with a video game in the Smithsonian institute

Not for long

Star Fox Assault? Really?

As long as Adventure wasn't in there.

Cause people had to vote them in, you see.

The voting process was screwy. For each category (divided by console/genre), you could vote out of three choices. People didn't vote for Star Fox Assault in its own right, they voted for it over the other games it was up against.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Which REALLY makes me wonder what the other choices were that it still won.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Whatever, it's a temporary exhibit voted on by fanboys and that's not what this thread is about anyway.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

And then they made part 2 and 3 for the PSP and the United States isn't even getting part 3. So they pretty much demonstrated the ability to make shit-awful decisions.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's actually a sound financial decision, considering the PSP is wildly successful in Japan.

Sega of America are no strangers to stupid decisions. Still waiting on Initial D to be localized.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That's actually a sound financial decision, considering the PSP is wildly successful in Japan.

Sega of America are no strangers to stupid decisions. Still waiting on Initial D to be localized.

I haven't had the luxury of playing VC2 but I'm willing to bet a lot of the elements that made the first one incredible are missing or got cut down / are shells of their former selves.

Considering one of the promotion artworks was bunny-girl Selvaria, I'm having a hard time believing I'm wrong.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also fuck the haters, TSR can appreciate whoever the hell he likes. We all have our heroes in the industry.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One of your parents needs to die or something. I can't believe this is the saddest day of your life.

That's a pretty fucked up thing to say. If this truly is the saddest thing for him then I'm glad he's lived such a happy and naive life thus far, and I wouldn't wish something as awful as his one of his parents dying on him.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    One of your parents needs to die or something. I can't believe this is the saddest day of your life.

That's a pretty fucked up thing to say. If this truly is the saddest thing for him then I'm glad he's lived such a happy and naive life thus far, and I wouldn't wish something as awful as his one of his parents dying on him.

Yeah uh

Wow

That was pretty fucked up, dude

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

Fucked up? Yes, but it reminds me of why I like to frequent this forum so much.

On topic though, if the guy got his own studio then I don't see the loss. Obviously Sega isn't able to provide an environment for his ideas to flourish anyway.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    This is pretty much if Nintendo let Miyamoto walk out the door.

But I guess Sammy isn't really doing a great job of managing the merged companies anyway.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

But I guess Sammy isn't really doing a great job of managing the merged companies anyway.

No this is like if Nintendo let Miyamoto walk out the door ten years after he had produced anything relevant

Furu on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did they even let him work on Virtua Fighter 5?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    However much recognition Daytona USA gets, it should be getting four thousand times more

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Furu wrote: »

No this is like if Nintendo let Miyamoto walk out the door ten years after he had produced anything relevant

Yeah, this is more like if George Broussard walked out the door at 3D Realms.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Furu wrote: »

More like if he walked after they cancelled everything he tried to do for ten straight years.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    However much recognition Daytona USA gets, it should be getting four thousand times more

I always preferred Sega Rally, never could get the hang of Daytona.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'll admit that I was on the hate bandwagon at first, but I'm willing to overlook the "saddest day of my life" hyperbole because we all do it.

I don't do it. Most people don't do it.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Endomatic wrote: »

I don't do it. Most people don't do it.

Nobody in the world does it!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What a strange thread. o.O'

Anyway, I agree it's for the best.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm also sad about this. I hope he can continue to make games.

And I think Sega has recently had lots of hits. The Yakuza games and the recent Sonics have been some of my favorites. VC looks great. Their relationship with Platinum seems to be going well.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yup, Yessir you sure need to experience soul crushing life shattering experiences like infantacide or loss of a parent to have a sad day!

You people sometimes. Everything has to be compared and measured against some sort of absolute scale? piss to that.

NargorothRiP on