As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a cheap laptop for WoW

OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
Can anyone here with some tech-savvy recommend a laptop for me that is cheap ($600 or less) and can run WoW? I'm going to be on a work trip for 2 months and would like to still be able to play primarily WoW, as well as some old GoG games, etc. Basically WoW (not raiding, just dailies, alts, maybe 5 mans) is the upper limit of what I'd like to be able to run.

My thought going into looking for one of these was that WoW is a pretty old game and nowadays I'd have no problem finding a cheap laptop that I can take and can run it, but I'm not finding much in some basic searches at that price range.

Thanks very much.

Orestus on

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, just about anything you buy will be able to run it.

I've always liked Lenovo's.

Here is a good place to start to get general ideas of what you will be getting in that price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%204021&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

edit. On second thought, you might want something with a dedicated GPU. Maybe this?. I dont know a lot about MSI or AMD's but really shouldnt take all that much to run WoW if you are fine with low settings.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, just about anything you buy will be able to run it.

I've always liked Lenovo's.

Here is a good place to start to get general ideas of what you will be getting in that price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%204021&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

edit. On second thought, you might want something with a dedicated GPU. Maybe this?. I dont know a lot about MSI or AMD's but really shouldnt take all that much to run WoW if you are fine with low settings.

That doesn't have a graphics card. But AMD's on die GPUs are better than onboard video of the past. If you can wait a few weeks or a month their mainstream laptop CPU/GPUs will be out. The E350 is like a high powered netbook CPU.

Otherwise, I'd keep an eye out for good deals on slickdeals or similar. Just make sure you get one with a discrete graphics card preferably one with the second number being a 3 or higher.

[edit] or don't wait. Take a look at this deal. It's more than $600 but comes with $100 gift card.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I own a HP DM1Z (really well put together, but the screen doesn't get very bright), and overall the E-350 APU provides a decent WOW experience. The added benefit of a Netbook/Small laptop is that the resolution is really low and this helps keep framerates up.

I've heard great things about the Lenovo Ideapad S205 but I don't know how good the build quality is.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.