As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Friends without insurance hit this guy's car

mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
A couple of weeks ago, we let some people my gf knew through a friend from out of state crash at our place. While parking their car in the apartment lot, they hit another tenant's gf's vehicle and damaged the rear bumper. It turns out the kid driving didn't have insurance for the vehicle, and of course now they are who knows where in another state. So now the tenant is asking me to pay for it. The kid did manage to get his parents to throw the guy $100 already. (I asked the guy for an estimate for the damages, and he mentioned something about a $500 deductible, which it seemed like he wanted us to pay)

Any advice for me here? I wouldn't think I would be legally responsible, but at the same time I feel like I should do something. I also don't want any bad blood here since I do have to live in the same building as the guy. (Plus, I don't want to be a jerk)

mrflippy on

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would call your insurance company.

Skoal Cat on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    I would call your insurance company.

Why would my insurance company be involved at all?

mrflippy on
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh fuck, I thought it was your car.
    No, I can't see how you are liable for this at all but you may want to read your lease to make sure.

Skoal Cat on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dude driving is on the hook, or his parents if he's a minor. You shouldn't have involved yourself in the dispute at all. Tell them to contact the kids parents if they need anything else.

There's a good chance they're going to try to juice the kid and his parents for money because driving without insurance is very illegal. If they're paying a deductible they're already filing a claim with their insurance company, who can file suit on the person driving to get the money for the damages.

E.Coyote on
    edited June 2011
    One of the issues is nobody here currently knows how to get a hold of the kid or his parents.

mrflippy on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's a problem for the police and the insurance company that's going to sue him. ~.~

E.Coyote on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Legally, you have no obligations at all. Hosting a sleepover at your place doesn't make you liable for their actions. The tenants want money and you're te closest link to the person at fault, so they're going to come after you.

Unofficially, you can try and track down the friend, but I wouldn't pay anyone a cent.

Javen on
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One might consider you tracking down the contact number and address of your gfs friends uninsured acquaintance at the very least a moral obligation. If you gfs friend wont give it to you then consider giving your neighbor that guys/gals number. Or you can also do nothing. I don't think you are on the hook legally or financially, unless there is something in your lease about you being responsible for damages house guests cause.

Siska on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, you have no obligation to do anything for anyone. If you really don't know how to get a hold of them, you could try if you feel guilty. Maybe give the guy they hit the number of your gf's friend. Absolutely do not give them your insurance info or any money.

If they had damaged the building, it might fall under your insurance and/or lease, but not as it's a private party.

Also try to have less shitty friends in the future. </snark>

MichaelLC on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    How much damage are we talking? Is it paint scratches, or did he take the whole thing off?

It's unfortunate, but it also happens in shared lots. I have no idea the answer to this so it could easily be a sound "no", but is this the sort of thing that his renters' insurance might cover?

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    edited June 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    How much damage are we talking? Is it paint scratches, or did he take the whole thing off?

It's unfortunate, but it also happens in shared lots. I have no idea the answer to this so it could easily be a sound "no", but is this the sort of thing that his renters' insurance might cover?

It dented part of the bumper, which is plastic of some sort and the entire bumper would have to be replaced to fix it. There is also some paint scraped on the taillight. Neither affects the operation of the car as far as I know.

mrflippy on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is why people purchase uninsured motorist insurance. If he wants you to pay, tell him no. You are not legally obligated in any way, you didn't hit him, your car didn't hit him. You are not even legally obligated to locate the kid who did the damage. If they keep pressuring you, threaten a harassment claim.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    question: did you or your gf have to do something to let this person park in your apartment's lot? like open a garage door or gate or something? maybe lend a remote control for a door?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait a second. Here's an important question.

How is your apartment parking treated in your lease? Is it just "the apartment parking lot" and tenants plus guests of a tenant park there? Or are there assigned sections/stipulations for guests? (e.g. # of allowed guests per tenant, where they can park, etc)

Because I would guess that in such a hypothetical scenario, where, say, your lease says that you (as a tenant) are responsible for guest parking, or this kid parked somewhere where he wasn't supposed to, for example, then the guy who got hit might have a leg to stand on about you being at least somewhat responsible.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mrflippy wrote: »

It dented part of the bumper, which is plastic of some sort and the entire bumper would have to be replaced to fix it. There is also some paint scraped on the taillight. Neither affects the operation of the car as far as I know.

This is actually a giant misconception. A decent mechanic can take pretty large dents out without replacing the bumper. Grab a pic of it and post it up and I can tell you more, but the usual they can just knock out the dent, fill it in with polymer, and blend the new paint to match the old. a whole lot cheaper...

Also most apartments won't hold you responsible for damage you do to other's cars. much less what your friend does to someone's car. As someone else stated before: grab a copy of your lease, read through it. 99 times out of 100 you won't be liable. If you are feeling guilty, or know the guy you could give him his phone number.... there's quite a bit that can be done that way, but that's as far into this as I'd get.

also you may want to tell him to take it to a few shops and get estimates. With the cost of the deductible and increase to his insurance, he may want it fixed off record...

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    You are in no way responsible for this accident. Best you can do is give him the other persons name and tell them good luck.

Sheep on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »

How is your apartment parking treated in your lease? Is it just "the apartment parking lot" and tenants plus guests of a tenant park there? Or are there assigned sections/stipulations for guests? (e.g. # of allowed guests per tenant, where they can park, etc)

Because I would guess that in such a hypothetical scenario, where, say, your lease says that you (as a tenant) are responsible for guest parking, or this kid parked somewhere where he wasn't supposed to, for example, then the guy who got hit might have a leg to stand on about you being at least somewhat responsible.

Sounds like street parking. Even so, I doubt he'd be on the hook if a guest hit the dude. They'd be like telling someone they're on the hook for murder because someone crashing at their place got up and murdered someone and then disappeared just because their lease says they're on the hook for any liability and damage a guest did.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »

Sounds like street parking. Even so, I doubt he'd be on the hook if a guest hit the dude. They'd be like telling someone they're on the hook for murder because someone crashing at their place got up and murdered someone and then disappeared just because their lease says they're on the hook for any liability and damage a guest did.

But in plenty of places, for example, precedents have been set where the hosts of house parties have been made financially and criminally liable for the actions of drunk drivers leaving said parties, regardless of their involvement in the person's intoxication or choice to drive.

Just saying that the law doesn't have to be that ironclad to force one to accept responsibility for someone else's actions, especially if it involves financial compensation.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah that seems like special case though, too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As many others have already pointed out, you have no moral, legal or any other obligation to pay for this at all. If people could come after you just because you know a guy who did something wrong and had him over at your place, pretty much everybody would be locked up or broke.

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2011
    Fair enough. I think he'll be in the clear, and especially if it's street parking.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yep, you're not responsible at all, in any way. Even if according to your lease you're responsible for where a guest parks, you're not responsible for how he operates his vehicle after he's not parked anymore.

spool32 on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

This is actually a giant misconception. A decent mechanic can take pretty large dents out without replacing the bumper. Grab a pic of it and post it up and I can tell you more, but the usual they can just knock out the dent, fill it in with polymer, and blend the new paint to match the old. a whole lot cheaper...

Also most apartments won't hold you responsible for damage you do to other's cars. much less what your friend does to someone's car. As someone else stated before: grab a copy of your lease, read through it. 99 times out of 100 you won't be liable. If you are feeling guilty, or know the guy you could give him his phone number.... there's quite a bit that can be done that way, but that's as far into this as I'd get.

also you may want to tell him to take it to a few shops and get estimates. With the cost of the deductible and increase to his insurance, he may want it fixed off record...

<nitpick hat>

As someone who filled in dents with his share of bondo back in the day, most major shops aren't screwing around with it anymore. It's easier for them to just replace the bumper, which comes pre-painted from the factory, and let the insurance company cut them a check. Only when insurance isn't involved will they usually turn to bondo for dents because the cost comes out about the same as a $500 deductible. The guy can shop around estimates if he wants, but since he's only going to pay the deductible, it probably won't raise his rates since he wasn't at-fault, and he may get them back when they track the driver down, he's not really going to bargain shop.

</nitpick hat>

Also, OP you need to cut off communications with this guy. Give him, preferably his insurance company whatever information you have about the driver, and be done with it. The more you get involved, the more you are involved.

You're not responsible for what happened.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

<nitpick hat>
    Only when insurance isn't involved will they usually turn to bondo for dents because the cost comes out about the same as a $500 deductible. The guy can shop around estimates if he wants, but since he's only going to pay the deductible, it probably won't raise his rates since he wasn't at-fault, and he may get them back when they track the driver down, he's not really going to bargain shop.

</nitpick hat>
    There are some insurance companies that give you a discount/refund after going a set amount of time without a claim, be it yours or someone elses fault. That's more what I was referring to, but point taken

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There are some insurance companies that give you a discount/refund after going a set amount of time without a claim, be it yours or someone elses fault. That's more what I was referring to, but point taken[/QUOTE]

Iiiii see what you're saying now. Point taken as well. If the OP were at fault on this that would definitely be the better way to go.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?