As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SC2: GO READ THE NEW THREAD!!

• TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wont be able to till after you go to bed but sure

TannerMS on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    well its coming up for 11am in the morning here, bedtime is quite a long time away! :)

Dhalphir on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    blink stalkers are weird

on the face of it, it doesn't seem like blink micro would make THAT much of a difference. a small difference, sure, but not a vast one.

but it really is a huge difference in their combat effectiveness, if your micro is good.

in terms of what size army I feel I can beat, having blink vs not having blink, given the same number of stalkers, is the same amount of combat power as having 2-3 colossus vs not having them.

Dhalphir on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My only issue with 4gate is I feel it is disproportionately threatening for how hard it is to execute, but that is the nature of allins in this game anyway I think. So oh well.

stimtokolos on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    are you saying attacking with scvs isnt hard

peacekeeper on
    edited June 2011
    It was sort of hard in broodwar! With their weird glide, it MUST be hard now too.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2011
    was marine/scv/allin a thing in bw?

Dhalphir on
    edited June 2011
    i can find this

i like how there is a section on there about bgh too

peacekeeper on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bbs was a marine/scv allin

but eh

it was a gamble, i would say way more of a gamble than in sc2

plus there were a decent amount of tells, the success was more map-based/denial of scouting

rather than being entirely rooted in how good the units were, like it is in sc2

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My suspicion would be that marine scv all ins were weaker in BW just from my limited time goofing around in sc2bw because it seems like the maps were freaking huge and zerglings were way better at killing stuff in bw. But honestly it's just a random guess from my limited goofing off in sc2bw.

Enigma435 on
    steam_sig.png
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GSL Code A starts in 5 minutes btw guys, and there's another set of matches in 5 hours (so 8 matches total today).

His Corkiness on
    edited June 2011
    damn, I wanted to see CreatorPrime play.

Dhalphir on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    1 micro / harass units (or main army depending on composition )
    2 secondary units by type (all roaches or infestors, or lings, etc )
    3 support units generally
    4 I hope to never have to use
    5 all hatcheries
    6 base camera ( this is what I use to inject )

And I changed a lot of key upgrades to T, and queen production to A

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    edited June 2011
    can someone live-report CreatorPrime's games?

Dhalphir on
    edited June 2011
    1 army
    2 nexus
    W 4 warpgates

peacekeeper on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you needed to upgrade range for marines in bw
    no mules to keep rines pumping out

it was a thing, but at a much larger risk, you rarely saw it

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    edited June 2011
    i haven't seen flash do it so it's probably not very good

peacekeeper on
    edited June 2011
    i feel like the inability to stutter-step marines effectively also meant they weren't quite as powerful

Dhalphir on
    edited June 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i feel like the inability to stutter-step marines effectively also meant they weren't quite as powerful

it's a small part of a complex picture

but it's definitely a component

undeinPirat on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have become darkly disillusioned with the ladder system.

What was once a wonderful roulette of delightful excitement is now the green goblin to my spiderman.

I should have known this would happen, the success of world of grindcraft has leaked into what should be an easy system for determining skill and placing it accordingly.

I mean old systems like iccup and shit you could rocket up to the top of the ladder in one good night, if you were smashing all comers. But no, I've literally won the lion's share of macro games thrown at me for a month and all the loses are of the triple proxy, banshee thor, secret orbital command in your base variety.

You'd think sustaining a win percentage above 50-60 for a good long while would at least get you a few games versus masters players to see how you fare, but no, every draw a diamond. (like me)

It feels like every pair of games you split on ladder you are just sinking deeper into the MMR quicksand which would take lending my account to Boxer for a super ultra win streak to get out of.

I really don't see the argument against putting a small modifier on MMR gains/loses for a game say under 8 minutes, it would be so nice.

Well the only thing I could see is that it would artificially affect some early attack timings to launch maybe after the deadline, but as long as the time limit remained hidden, with the hidden MMRs no one would deduce it.

It might even serve as an extinction level event for the top ten grandmaster rated cheeser types that have come to haunt the professional scene's credibility.

redraptor on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If wouldn't make any sense at all to say "you're totally better because you're better at macro games, even though this guy usually beats you in under 8 minutes"

The system as it is works pretty well. Just ignore what you're ranked as and play. It pits you against people near your skill level. If you keep playing, you'll get better.

Lemming on
    edited June 2011
    take the time to get good against cheese

i mean, general micro, scouting the fuck out of stuff

really, skills against cheese for some reason don't seem to develop often with players as they get better because the general focus is for them to get really good at macro(which you should!) but defending against bullshit is an essential skill

undeinPirat on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    s_86 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the ranking system is pretty accurate.

Listen to this guy, he's in GM!

Lemming on
    edited June 2011
    The grandmaster cheese players are good for the grandmasters. They obviously don't ENJOY playing against those players, but it remains useful practise for playing solidly.

Facing cheese and all-ins is how you know whether your builds are good or not. A good build, executed well, will hold 90% of cheeses (super fancy elaborate ones obviously willalways require a specific response). Execute your early game badly, or sloppily, and thats when you lose to cheese.

Dhalphir on
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lemming wrote: »
    s_86 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the ranking system is pretty accurate.

Listen to this guy, he's in GM!

i see what you did there
    and it was the best

edit: also, GSL seems to be doing two slots of streaming each day now or something like that so the first batch of code A matches are on right now for anyone interested. it's gunrun and torch casting at the moment

PoolCue on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well I was talking a very slight modifier. I don't think its that much of a stretch to say that a stronger player would take a larger share of the long games versus the opposite, it goes with the definition of cheesiness. But its really too much of a leap for an automated system to take.

I just wish the system was a little more fluid with movement through the ranks, especially when bonus pools are depleted.

redraptor on
    edited June 2011
    was marine/scv/allin a thing in bw?

Not a huge thing, but you must've seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jen46qkZVNI

I honestly can't see if Yellow went two hatches before pool, but I don't think he did.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2011
    the problem with automated systems is they need a hard guideline. for example, 8 minutes is the cutoff? you got cheesed and didnt leave until 8:01? you're fucked

too ineffective

to be honest, i've decided to just not care about my ladder ranking any longer
    I achieved my goal of Masters, I have no further goals besides improving my play, which is not linked to my ladder points, so to that end I removed myself from the PA list and changed my sc2sig to be avatar sized and not display points. I also am not going to look at my match history or my league points. Sounds extreme but I feel its the only way to stop myself tilting hard from losses, and to stop caring about losses.

Dhalphir on
  • KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trynant wrote: »
    I just started playing multiplayer recently despite getting the game a year ago. I go in expecting to get my ass handed to me and I get what I expect. Totally fine with this. I think I'm getting better.

I have a question about managing resources. What are the main hotkeys you all use when skirting back and forth between production buildings and armies. Currently I bind my armies and buildings to control groups and manage them from there. Do you all do it differently? Point and click, spacebar, etc.?

We all do it differently, but to me, grid feels the best.

All of your hotkeys correspond to the bottom right of your ui.

So it looks like this

qwert
    asdfg
    zxcvb

So, as terran, marines, scvs, hellions, and vikings are all on q (because they are the top left icon)

It makes it nice to switch between races if you're indecisive. Only problem is attack move is t, but that is manageable.

Keamien on
    edited June 2011
    i'd think that having t as attack move wouldn't be that bad

you'd just have to change your control groups to accomodate it

it seems a bit better since you can (or at least i can) press the 1-5 control groups while pressing t with little movement

PoolCue on
    edited June 2011
    Grid sucks. T is too hard to reach to be attack-move.

Dhalphir on
    edited June 2011
    would it really be that bad?

i can reach numbers 1-4 with my ring and middle finger while leaving my index on t

or is there something else that i'm missing

PoolCue on
    edited June 2011
    might just be me. i can reach, but its not comfortable and i would not be confident in my ability to do it in the heat of battle

Dhalphir on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gunrun's trying to mumble me to sleep, I'm pretty sure.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited June 2011
    is the gunrun the guy from wagequit?

or is that another person

i know that Wagequit has an annoying girl who doesn't seem to actually know anything about SC2 and (apparently) just plays on the fact that she's a girl :giggle:
    and obviously Wagequit has the Wagequit guy

Dhalphir on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No, gunrun is just some guy with a really deep mumbly jazz radio host-esque voice. Cast with Day at the MLG where Huk mothership rushed, I believe.

Also trolled some PA forumer in L4D.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    is bnet not giving points right now?

just did 3 1v1's and not getting points (win or lose)

xta on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    xta wrote: »
    is bnet not giving points right now?

just did 3 1v1's and not getting points (win or lose)

On NA at least, yes:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=236790&currentpage=12

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    edited June 2011
    its been off and on for a few days now
    i was getting points when i played last night

Dhalphir on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    is the gunrun the guy from wagequit?

or is that another person

i know that Wagequit has an annoying girl who doesn't seem to actually know anything about SC2 and (apparently) just plays on the fact that she's a girl :giggle:
    and obviously Wagequit has the Wagequit guy

Gunrun's from GLHF. But they have a girl like that too.

3cl1ps3 on