As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Blood]...what is going on?

KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas.Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
edited June 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
True%2BBlood.jpg

Season 6!!!
526492_10151499267218563_1973750906_n.jpg

Most of the info continued from the season 3 thread...(Thanks CanadianWolverine)

Welcome to the fantasy world of Charlaine Harris' collection of Sookie Stackhouse novels as re-envisioned by Alan Ball and company, as seen on HBO Sunday nights currently in its 5th season. Its a world a lot like our own, only there is a twist, almost every fictional creature there is turns out to be real and the vampires are the first to tell the world they exist. For Sookie Stackhouse, played by Anna Paquin, who has a semi-secret of her own in her lil'town of Bon Temps since she can read/hear other people's thoughts, this sends her life and everyone in her world on paths they were never expecting to ever have to deal with. And we discuss if as this crazy shit happens to the characters if they are going to get naked or gore fest, so don't be shocked if you find yourself uncomfortable watching this with your mother-in-law or whoever.

Here is some previous thread and a bit of its OP:
Nerissa wrote: »
http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/

Quick overview:

The series takes place in the small Louisiana town of Bon Temps, outside of Shreveport. With the invention in Japan of artificial blood that meets their nutritional needs, vampires have "come out of the coffin" and are fighting for their rights as citizens.

Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress in a bar in Bon Temps, "hears" people's thoughts, and is mostly unable to control it. Then she meets a vampire named Bill when he comes into the bar. Sookie and Bill are the two main characters in the entire series.

The first book in the series is Dead Until Dark.

Thanks to Nerissa for some basic information.

Why Book Spoilers Are Likely:
Well, the show has pretty much diverged yet stayed mostly true to the books since then, so even if you have read the books, you are in for quite a few surprises still - so by discussing the show we may inadvertently be discussing things happening in the books - even if you already know about the faery.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqVqbifXgAjUpv5onzR1dPRNggwvqE6ZDIl42y2EolMOPDJRg&t=1&usg=__ezgygtSgKO5f7JO8OVwLilQI2fw=

No, not that one, the magical kind. Oh wait... Nevermind, who knows how long that will be the case, because Lafayette is awesome but getting more awesome all the time. You got that Hookah?

So, come get your mind in the entertaining blood filled gutter, Sookie and friends certainly have...
tblood.jpg

NSFW of Deborah Ann Woll (Jessica)
deborah-ann-woll-jessica-from-true-blood-tyler-sh-26401-1249274683-19.jpg
Cade wrote: »
And for those that wanted an animated gif of Jessica doing her wave:
Ta da
Figured some might like a bunch of Jessica pictures and gifs right here.

Also a big thing some people might not know is that Jessica has a blog online, yes I said Jessica that has things posted in reference to how she's thinking/going through. http://babyvamp-jessica.com/
Two gifs found that people will like.
Hoyt's one punch!
Jessica vs Tommy

So there's the previous OP with some info slightly modified for this season.
On August 11, 2011, HBO announced that True Blood would be renewed for a fifth season of 12 episodes, to premiere in summer 2012. Alan Ball signed a multi-year contract with HBO in July 2011, but only agreed to produce the show for the fifth season. After the season five finale, he'll leave his position as showrunner.

Seasonal Breakdown -
Season 1 - Intro to Vampires
Season 2 - Maenad/More Vampires
Season 3 - Werewolves
Season 4 - Witches/Ghosts

Season 4 spoilers and catchup cliffnotes:
- Bill and Eric killed Nan and are on the run. The authority will be revealed and this is probably the big theme and plot of Season 5.
- Tara shot in the face with a shotgun. Dafuq is gonna happen with that?
- Layfayette is now a medium and a super awesome brujo or however you spell it. Is that gonna go anywhere or will it disappear like Sookie's Grandad's watch that Jason was given? Will Jesus be a regular ghost on the show a la Dexter Morgan's dad?
- Sam was approached by a dark brown wolf on his porch outside of Merlotte's. It can't be Debbie because 1) she's a white wolf and 2) she was at Sookie's house with a shotgun, and Marcus got his throat crushed by Alcide an episode ago. Who the hell is this now?
- Andy's becoming sober from his V addiction after his little encounter with a fae in the woods. What was with the E.T. moment and the random sexual encounter? Will he think it was just a dream and get with Holly, the new wicken waitress?
- Terry has a new friend, but Arlene is scared because of the premonition from Renee. Renee mentioned that she shouldn't be scared of Terry, but the ghosts of his past. More ghosts/spirits this season? Why is the guy from Felicity in my True Blood?
- Jason and Jess getting heated. What's Jess gonna do next? More importantly, when is she gonna get naked next?
- Hoyt's a mess and hates Jason because "he only thinks with his dick" and not his friends and family. How is he coping with losing his girl and now his best friend?
- Sookie left both Bill and Eric instead of choosing either one of em. Whose supernatural pants is she going to get into next? (My vote is Alcide)
- But then again, Sookie shot Debbie's head off with the shotgun. Will Alcide look past that for what he said to Sookie in the bar?
- What's going on with Pam? She was jealous that Sookie was taking Eric away, but now that that's virtually over, what's gonna be her drive/use on the show? Besides being awesome with the quips and all.
- Last but not least, Alcide found the hole in the concrete that used to contain Russel Edgington. Does he know what he found? The garage man was glamoured into forgetting when the hole showed up, but Russel has been shown in trailers in a weakened and burnt state. Who dug him up? Why is he back?

Season 5 is rumored to be based upon the Authority, the political leaders of the vampires. It will explain their origin, where they come from, and more importantly who they are. So buckle your seat belts, it's finally time for some answers.

Warning: Spoilers from previous seasons run wild! Please spoiler anything on the latest season!

KoopahTroopah on

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Didn't see a thread so I made one! Hurray for search engine not working!

EPISODE 1!!

It ruled. The season premiere starts off on a whole 'nother foot from previous seasons. Which could be good or bad. I personally didn't like the first 8 minutes (Previously shown as a preview from Game of Thrones and other HBO specials). I think it was a waste of time and poor special effects to put forth little story and to get the ball rolling. However the rest of the episode is good ol fashioned TB. This season should be interesting to say the least.

Go watch it On Demand or register on HBO GO to catch up as well as . . .

EPISODE 2!!

It's on HBO GO, and is 10x as good as the premiere. Lots of catching up and answers and great one liners from several characters.

A big thing I like about the show is its references from other vampire media, especially Vampire the Masquerade. I already have a new favorite scene.
    In episode 2, Jessica runs off after a fight with Hoyt to Fangtasia and the scene goes to slow motion. She pretty much uses "Presence" to make everyone look at her as she walks around and fishes out a bite for her to eat. Makes me love Jessica that much more.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Carrie Preston is smoking hot when she's not Arlene Fowler

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1280948992/nm0696387

VoodooV on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    First 10 mins were straight out of a crappy Kevin Sorbo/Lucy Lawless type Sam Raimi show. But other than that, it improved.
    Seriously, fucking throwing glowing balls of energy was like a Star Trek: TNG effect. So. Bad.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oh and btw, the link to photobucket pics of Jessica don't work.

SHAME!

VoodooV on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    VoodooV wrote: »
    oh and btw, the link to photobucket pics of Jessica don't work.

SHAME!

I just tried it and it worked fine. Including all the little gifs. Anyone else having problems and or want me to add/change to the OP?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kinda weak opening. . ."Hey here are some faeries and. . .goblins? Now back to Louisiana where you wont see faeries again!"

Hopefully things pick up, or it'll be a shame this show is bookended by GoT and Boardwalk Empire.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the pics now work for me. I'm on a diff computer though so ill check on my original one later

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Having read the books I am shocked by how much they are keeping in line with Eric and Sookie and the fairies. Trust me they are going somewhere with the fairies. Also, Bill as King that is new.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I enjoyed the show including the first eight minutes. I thought the episode did a good job of setting up what I assume is most of the plot lines.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People, the first eight minutes was a TNG episode that morphed into an original series Star Trek episode.

AND THAT'S A GREAT THING! :)

Brian888 on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The problem is, how can they ever go back to faire land without fucking up a character? I mean sookie was gone for what 10min? and it turned into like 13 months? It worked as a one off thing to push the story forward, but actually going back there seems like it would cause alot of problems.

Although, this season looks really promising. I do miss Russel already!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    The problem is, how can they ever go back to faire land without fucking up a character? I mean sookie was gone for what 10min? and it turned into like 13 months? It worked as a one off thing to push the story forward, but actually going back there seems like it would cause alot of problems.

This was my problem too. It seems like they just used it to push the story forward a year, and having her grandad there was a useless plotline to start the season with. There was zero character development.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

This was my problem too. It seems like they just used it to push the story forward a year, and having her grandad there was a useless plotline to start the season with. There was zero character development.

I wouldn't say zero.
    The watch seemed really important to Jason.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The whole episode to me was an hour long WTF session. I'm still watching the show, but I've basically written it off as a campy cheese-fest so whenever something happens out of left field with seemingly no reason or explanation I just shrug my shoulders and go, 'Whatever, that's True Blood for you!'

The thing that stuck out for me the most was the whole time jump thing. Sookie went to Fairy Land for 10 minutes and was gone for over a year, but Bill went there too and didn't experience the same thing. Maybe time just behaves like that in that one specific part of Fairy Land, or jumping through the portal moved time ahead one year. Or maybe the writers just needed an excuse to move time forward and there will be no future explanation.

Whatever, that's True Blood for you!

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I get the impression that the first time Bill & Sookie went to "fairyland," it wasn't the actual fairyland - it was a place in between. When the other fairies jumped into the pond, I think they were going back to the fairy plane. This last time when Sookie when, she was in the actual fairy plane and not the place in between.

Rubick on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rubick wrote: »
    I get the impression that the first time Bill & Sookie went to "fairyland," it wasn't the actual fairyland - it was a place in between. When the other fairies jumped into the pond, I think they were going back to the fairy plane. This last time when Sookie when, she was in the actual fairy plane and not the place in between.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not where the "harvest" was going to take place. I forget, didn't they go there in their dreams?

As for other WTF issues.
    Tara is a MMA fighter. And living as an entirely different identity. Who is apparently a lesbian. At first I thought it was like some sort of bad fanfiction come to life, but I came around about the time she started sucking face with the other MMA girl.

Of course, Rutina still apparently doesn't do nude scenes, so she continues to always keep her bra on while having sex, including lesbian sex.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rubick wrote: »

This is how I see it.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tara is a MMA fighter. And living as an entirely different identity. Who is apparently a lesbian. At first I thought it was like some sort of bad fanfiction come to life, but I came around about the time she started sucking face with the other MMA girl.

Of course, Rutina still apparently doesn't do nude scenes, so she continues to always keep her bra on while having sex, including lesbian sex.

Bad fanfiction only begins to cover it, haha. Once they started going at it, I was thinking, 'Oh True Blood..." O_o
    I guess they figured out that one way to make a boring character more interesting is to make them homosexual!

Another WTF moment: (regarding Jason and the meth heads)
    Jason has been bringing food to the clan of meth heads for over a year, but still hasn't figured out they are were-panthers? Even after his girlfriend revealed herself to him? He looks surprised at that kid when she mentions eating raw meat never hurt them before.

- Glad to see Sam living more of a life, even if he is 'more prickly.'

- Huge LOL at Tommy.

- Seeing Hoyt and Jessica go through relationship woes is sad, but completely expected.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think Jason
    was trying to make them slightly more normal.
    Watched the first 3 seasons in the past few weeks. This show is a guilty pleasure, but what the hey, it's entertaining.

I'm sad there probably won't be as many instances of Bill saying "Sookie" in a pained manner while trying to maintain his terribad accent.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »

Bad fanfiction only begins to cover it, haha. Once they started going at it, I was thinking, 'Oh True Blood..." O_o
    I guess they figured out that one way to make a boring character more interesting is to make them homosexual!

Honestly, anything they do with Tara will be an improvement. I loved her in the first season, but she got so sidetracked into depressing shit that I felt that they lost the soul of the spunky character that got introduced in season 1 and hardly ever interacted with her best friend afterwards. Seriously, Sookie goes off to Dallas for happy fun vampire times, leaving Tara with the mind rape monster. Then Sookie has happy fun werewolf times while Tara gets kidnapped by a reject from Twilight.
    I'll take Angsty Kung-Fu Lesbian Tara over Total Victim Tara every day of the goddamn week.
    - Seeing Hoyt and Jessica go through relationship woes is sad, but completely expected.

I thought they were cute together. Like, they were having problems, but they each knew that they were still total dorks for each other.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »

Honestly, anything they do with Tara will be an improvement. I loved her in the first season, but she got so sidetracked into depressing shit that I felt that they lost the soul of the spunky character that got introduced in season 1 and hardly ever interacted with her best friend afterwards. Seriously, Sookie goes off to Dallas for happy fun vampire times, leaving Tara with the mind rape monster. Then Sookie has happy fun werewolf times while Tara gets kidnapped by a reject from Twilight.
    I'll take Angsty Kung-Fu Lesbian Tara over Total Victim Tara every day of the goddamn week.

I thought they were cute together. Like, they were having problems, but they each knew that they were still total dorks for each other.

You did not MOURN ME!!!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was the camera different or something it had a completely different look that I liked.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it just me or . . .
    is MMA fighter Tara(Tony) a lot sexier and infinitely more interesting than any other Tara. I was so freaking happy when I saw what they did with her character. I hope she stays as strong as she is in these episodes for the remainder of the season.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it just me or . . .
    is MMA fighter Tara(Tony) a lot sexier and infinitely more interesting than any other Tara. I was so freaking happy when I saw what they did with her character. I hope she stays as strong as she is in these episodes for the remainder of the season.

Improvement was not hard for that particular character. What a grinding she-bat.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it just me or . . .

Not just you.
    While I find the whole MMA plotline to be... pretty unlikely, given that those fighters train for a lot longer than a year, Tara might be getting back the essential element of her character from Season 1, which was that she was tough as nails while still being emotionally broken. I thought she was really sexy in the first season, then, even though she had a love interest in the second season, she got seperated from her core sexy independance because she was put up against creatures that were vastly superior to her that she had to victimized by and placate somehow.

If her crash course in mixed martial arts means that she can actually be a player rather than a victim, I'll overlook how unrealistic it is.
    Also, making out with girls sure doesn't hurt. :winky:

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Impressions on the first episode (haven't seen the second yet, because HBOGO is dumb :[ )
    Opening scene was so much like watching a original Star Trek episode. The magic fight was ridiculous.
    Extremely happy that Tommy's back!!!! :] Too bad that he's in not-too-good shape, though.
    Bill as King looks promising. Same with Alexander Skarsgard (<3) owning Sookie's house/Sookie. I just really hope the upcoming previews are wrong.
    I reallly don't want Skarsgard to die, especially at that prick Bill's hands :[

All in all, I'm extremely glad True Blood's back, and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jessica is by far and easily my favorite character.

She plays like she's from Vampire: the Masquerade, but she acts like she's from Buffy.

It's...really the greatest thing.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tox wrote: »

She plays like she's from Vampire: the Masquerade, but she acts like she's from Buffy.

She does seem to be the only vampire in the cast that seems to have problems with her Beast. Everyone else is much older than she is, of course. It's so cute when her fangs pop out without her intending them to.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else think Tommy
    already recovered from being shot and is just pretending he needs physical therapy to scam money off Sam?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Anyone else think Tommy
    already recovered from being shot and is just pretending he needs physical therapy to scam money off Sam?

Yeah, I think they made that pretty obvious.

I liked this episode, although the opening was so far out in left field compared to the rest of the episode that it was kind of hard to take seriously.

I also found it weird that
    Bill felt the need to make up a story to cover Sookie within literally 2 minutes of finding out she was still alive. Way to back yourself (not to mention Sookie, whose circumstances you don't know at all) into a corner dude.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd forgotten how batshit crazy this show is

then I saw the recap, and it all came flooding back to me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else find it completely bizzare that the rule against vampires entering someone's home
    follows the US system of real property ownership? I bought the house from you and recorded the deed. So yeah I can enter now and you can't stop me. I find this absurbed considering sookie wasn't gone that long, never made anywhere else her home (let alone sleep anywhere else), and she never thought it wasn't her home. I mean vampires are magic, but apparently they derive their power from the US system of law. No wonder coming out of the coffin was so important to them!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else find it completely bizzare that the rule against vampires entering someone's home
    follows the US system of real property ownership? I bought the house from you and recorded the deed. So yeah I can enter now and you can't stop me. I find this absurbed considering sookie wasn't gone that long, never made anywhere else her home (let alone sleep anywhere else), and she never thought it wasn't her home. I mean vampires are magic, but apparently they derive their power from the US system of law. No wonder coming out of the coffin was so important to them!

Agreed. Doesn't really make much sense.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The whole "vampires can't enter without being invited" has always been one of the flimsier, more malleable premises of various vampire fiction. Even Buffy/Angel generally seemed to make up whether or not a vampire could enter/not enter somewhere on the fly as was necessary for the plot.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought that the "enter without being invited thing" was more of a psychological barrier than a magical one, which would mean that it breaks down when the vampire believes it no longer applies.

Kind of like the less popular notion that vampires have to untie knots and count stuff, where supernatural power is offset by inexplicable compulsions.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Agreed. Doesn't really make much sense.

It's magic.

Though it did come up a couple of times early on and then not get mentioned again.

Sam: "Get out of my bar, you ain't welcome here."
    Vampires: "That shit only works in a private residence."

For all we know it's some kind of psychosomatic thing.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

This is win.

Also, I remember the other TB threads being more lively, where is everyone?

valiance on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    valiance wrote: »

This is win.

Also, I remember the other TB threads being more lively, where is everyone?
    After watching the first 8 minutes they won't post for a year, and when they do they'll be confused and swear they just watched the season premiere last night

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How does Eric get "I own you!" out of owning the house? That doesn't change anything that wasn't already the case before other than she has no where to hide from him now... and the whole PSA thing just showed he's still full of shit, so if they really try and put them together....everyone on the show just needs to die besides Hoyt and Jessica and maybe Bill and Sookie. Starting with Tara still. Her new buddy can take her place on the show.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    How does Eric get "I own you!" out of owning the house? That doesn't change anything that wasn't already the case before other than she has no where to hide from him now... and the whole PSA thing just showed he's still full of shit, so if they really try and put them together....everyone on the show just needs to die besides Hoyt and Jessica and maybe Bill and Sookie. Starting with Tara still. Her new buddy can take her place on the show.

Yikes.

Dracomicron on