As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SC2: GO READ THE NEW THREAD!!

• TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I feel like there is a timing where if someone pushes out with a strong enough roach force, maybe timing it with +1 that it would just hurt, too much. Unless I had a billion spines.

I've done the mutas vs infestors thing before, i tend to just send 3 in to snipe one infestor, then manually move another 3 from another angle and so on.

Seems efficient enough since it takes 4 fungals to kill mutas. I mean of course people drop the ITs. But still, they hate doing it.

+1 roach timings before lair are pretty easy to stop with 2 spines and an extra queen. With speed, you are going to need mutas. You definitely work harder than your opponents, but it's good for your multitask :).

TannerMS on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    for ZvZs some of the principles I live by are:
    - constantly scouting their main or nat. to see if he's droning normally or saving up for that huge all in roach/ling push
    - denying thirds
    - going roaches becuase ling/bling is too risky
    - pressure if the other guy drones too hard, this is often the best way to get super ahead and then it's kinda easy to hold onto that early lead by teching hard to infestors or taking a third and going brolords

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    I just switched to P, don't know any timings and few hotkeys but I win on the ladder.

Silver league for the win.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited June 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I just switched to P, don't know any timings and few hotkeys but I win on the ladder.

ok so what you gotta do is choose a build mass void rays or mass stalker colossi

then (this is the important step) you have to press 1 and a and click somewhere near their main

You now know all there is to know about protoss

TannerMS on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Roach / sling is a good combination, I think.
    the slings will punish him with run-bys or queen snipes if his roaches move out prematurely, and it's always good to get a ling surround on his roaches while both armies are going at it

my play-style definitely favours lings due to the harass factor, and saves money for proxy hatches / evo chambers

ALSO, WFC challengers (wra!), on weekdays I play during evening hours (8 pm - 10ish pm, eastern), and weekends I can play all day. If you REALLY want to feel the full force of getting spine rushed as protoss / terran, PM me as that's the best way to set up a match.

otherwise, just answer my "1n1 anyone?" queries on chat -_-'
    (ya bums!)

5RR

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TannerMS wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

ok so what you gotta do is choose a build mass void rays or mass stalker colossi

then (this is the important step) you have to press 1 and a and click somewhere near their main

You now know all there is to know about protoss
    You have to watch out for those zergs who mass roaches and 1 and a and click before you have any void rays or colossi, though

that puts a kink in the plan

His Corkiness on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    This zerg guy was pretty slow.

He was expanding on his natural and I saw it with my scout, and I was like well I'll put down one cannon just to annoy. And then that cannon killed a bunch of lings that came two and two. Also brought his nat down to like below half.

Then I had pylons everywhere and poked in with blink stalkers exactly all the time, he couldn't have been building any drones at all from that point forward. Then I had expansions almost everywhere and he pushed out with hella roaches and ultras. But I had 3-2 upgraded blink stalkers, stood on a cliff and blinked up and down. I also had void rays that he could do precisely nothing about. Then he rage quit.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Offrace lobby on North America, hop on, we getting this shit started.

Dhal you should come and play zerg, you are SO not allowed to play Terran. Just 1ta all your marines and scvs and shit.

stimtokolos on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    no ladder points right now D:

I am willing to wager that if I offrace I couldn't beat most of the bronze players in here.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited June 2011
    Rank Team - NASL Points
    1 - wwwyoutube.com/stormkiller22 - 445
    2 - 815165's superfantasticos - 426
    3 - Enigma's Mystery BM Brigade - 397
    4 - Underrated White Guys and Friends - 391
    5 - King Kongs - 331
    6 - Imba Imba World - 327
    7 - Team Probe Life - 313
    8 - Over All - 296
    9 - The Gumbonator - 282
    10 - Probes, Pylons and PantsB - 280
    11 - Monocle Probes - 277
    12 - Coalition of ToSsGirL Appreciative Activities, Inc. - 276
    13 - Channelling Idras bm - 275
    14 - Baller Dawgs - 272
    15 - Tanner's Team - 258
    16 - Double Helix all the way (what does it mean?!) - 258
    17 - Team Greenbaron - 236
    18 - I think I (love you) - 223

:(

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You forgot my superfantastiteam, we're 2nd with 426.

How I'm being beaten by a youtube channel I do not know.

edit: I think underrated white guys isnt on there either

http://fantasystarcraft.net/node/2640

815165 on
    edited June 2011
    corrected, thanks

the website's all funky for my browser (noob mode IE6) and isn't loading right

ya, that tube's been #1 from the start, but you're almost caught up!
    tossgirl's team isn't doing so good (damn you Artosis!)

and our resident Rank 1 GM's fantasy team is in last place
    good players don't always make good managers, I guess ^^

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been having a lot of problems for TvP. Almost every game I play goes the same. Protoss gets Colossus and just wrecks my crap. VIkings just don't help me at all.

Waffles or whatever on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MMMig wrote: »
    Rank Team - NASL Points
    11 - Monocle Probes - 277
    :(

I'm kind of shocked that my bad picks turned out that well.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trynant wrote: »
    I just started playing multiplayer recently despite getting the game a year ago. I go in expecting to get my ass handed to me and I get what I expect. Totally fine with this. I think I'm getting better.

I have a question about managing resources. What are the main hotkeys you all use when skirting back and forth between production buildings and armies. Currently I bind my armies and buildings to control groups and manage them from there. Do you all do it differently? Point and click, spacebar, etc.?

mostly it depends on which race you play. it is advisable to customize your keyboard per race. 7-0 are problematic to reach without taking our hands out of position (so i remap them to more convenient keys - still havent found a good spot for 7...) , and there are some kb gymnastics that are pretty difficult (queen larva inject for an example) to execute efficiently with the default layout.

this question is better answered by a T as they would be much better at answering the specifics your race.

(although 1-a-t really doesnt seem that hard to pull off :-))

Joe K on
    edited June 2011
    So Joe.... I noticed you're not just Silver, you're #1 Silver.
    (putting you ahead of NBA player Gordon Hayward, who's #4 Silver)

Is it possible you might soon migrate to gold?

Should I cash in my 401K and enjoy what little time we have left in this mortal coil?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gunrun and torch are offensively bad at giving any kind of analysis or commentary at all.

"That was a pretty good trade for the protoss, their armies are nearly equal" as the terran army *gains* health while fighting and he has an 180 vs 120 supply lead. Also not noticing the terrans third at all until it had been up forever.

Frozenzen on
    edited June 2011
    Waffen wrote: »
    I've been having a lot of problems for TvP. Almost every game I play goes the same. Protoss gets Colossus and just wrecks my crap. VIkings just don't help me at all.

they should be helping

do you have a replay

Variable on
    edited June 2011
    The trick is to build a lot of vikings.

And dropping as they attack, protoss players love that.

Frozenzen on
    edited June 2011
    Wait, what is HD commentating?
    I know TorcH did one day of GSTL with Wolf.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2011
    Torch/gunrun is the code A combo this season, sad they got rid of wolf.

"Doesn't look like the terran is trying to expand". ~5 seconds after this 2 command centers fly out to new expansions. "seems this scan didn't do much" as all the DTs die, since the scan covers an area about twice it's graphic, but we can't expect code a commentators to know that, can we!

And dream was so much better than ready it's hilarious. Those were some of the most onesided games I ever saw sadly :P.

Frozenzen on
    edited June 2011
    I don't like hating on people. But I cannot listen to HD.
    I was really hoping that isn't what you were going to tell me. Couldn't find much info on TL quickly.

So are TorcH/HD doing GSTL entirely as well? Or are those games getting split.

I'd really rather have the better casting combo for GSTL.
    I think most people care about GSTL, it is far more entertaining most of the time. At least to me.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2011
    that's not HD

Variable on
    edited June 2011
    I thought Tolf Torf Wolch Worch was pretty good but I have to mute any time HD is on. It goes beyond standard caster missteps with HD, everything he says is wrong and he's just not as exiting as Husky or TB or Tasteless

TannerMS on
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    HD and torch are offensively bad at giving any kind of analysis or commentary at all.

"That was a pretty good trade for the protoss, their armies are nearly equal" as the terran army *gains* health while fighting and he has an 180 vs 120 supply lead. Also not noticing the terrans third at all until it had been up forever.

He is truly awful. He constantly says that 1 side is 'way behind' when they are two-bases and 50 supply ahead (for example). And occasionally he will obsessively focus on some relevant minutiae from earlier in the game and repeatedly state it as the reason for a loss / win when it is clearly not the case.

Husky, I find, is generally OK and very easy listening.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    edited June 2011
    does hd come out or are you all calling gunrun hd repeatedly? I'm watching the first game right now.

Variable on
    edited June 2011
    I'm an idiot, it's Gunrun and Torch. A bit confused here!

Frozenzen on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're retarded. It's gunrun.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    edited June 2011
    np, they are quite bad though

torch "dream is slightly ahead. he could force the attack or pull back and take a third" when dream was 40 food up and already had a third

I like torch, gunrun is annoying, but that is just plain wrong and annoying. urgh.

Variable on
    edited June 2011
    bad casters make me want to cast

this pair is gonna cause a bunch of people to have that response I think

Variable on
    edited June 2011

Should I cash in my 401K and enjoy what little time we have left in this mortal coil?

possible, yah, highly likely that i'll be moved sooner than later. the hard part was getting out of bronze (and honestly, the amount of games that I had to play at a 70%+ wlr were absolutely obscene in order to get out)

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised at a multilevel jump. I'm fairly certain (and lord knows what the actual ELO/MMR is) that the matchmaker considers me high gold/low plat right now, and from my custom games, I easily slip into plat, or above.

I just hope that I don't need to play another 300 games with a 70%wlr before it decides to promote. I'm guessing that since the promotion, that the "certainty" about me inside the system has been broken, and that I don't have the uphill battle again. I just need to win games.

Joe K on
    edited June 2011
    I watched GSL all weekend and I'm pretty sure it was Wolf and Torch

TannerMS on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Joe K wrote: »

possible, yah, highly likely that i'll be moved sooner than later. the hard part was getting out of bronze (and honestly, the amount of games that I had to play at a 70%+ wlr were absolutely obscene in order to get out)

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised at a multilevel jump. I'm fairly certain (and lord knows what the actual ELO/MMR is) that the matchmaker considers me high gold/low plat right now, and from my custom games, I easily slip into plat, or above.

I just hope that I don't need to play another 300 games with a 70%wlr before it decides to promote. I'm guessing that since the promotion, that the "certainty" about me inside the system has been broken, and that I don't have the uphill battle again. I just need to win games.

I found that moving bronze to silver harder than silver to gold.

Ethea on
    edited June 2011

gstl and gsl a have happened in the last 3 days, and the code a was two different sets of 4 with different caster pairs.

edit - ah, there's an early cast and a regular time cast. I thought it was a regular cast and a late one. nice. so around midnight eastern tonight will be code a and at regular time (5 am eastern) will be code s hopefully with tastosis if they're back.

Variable on
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Streaming ladder games on http://www.justin.tv/thewoodleagueallstars

GarethMagis on
    edited June 2011
    Variable wrote: »

gstl and gsl a have happened in the last 3 days, and the code a was two different sets of 4 with different caster pairs.

edit - ah, there's an early cast and a regular time cast. I thought it was a regular cast and a late one. nice. so around midnight eastern tonight will be code a and at regular time (5 am eastern) will be code s hopefully with tastosis if they're back.

I'm so fucking confused, I think I'm just going to ignore everything and enjoy it

TannerMS on
    edited June 2011
    Ethea wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »

I found that moving bronze to silver harder than silver to gold.

I think that outside the Masters->GM promotion, that bronze->silver is the second hardest. Bronze seems to be a dumping ground of people who don't get how to play the game, it makes up 40% of the ranks. I think that the qualification to get promoted out is 2nd most stringent in the game, with master->GM being the hardest (hey, we don't want the idiots in bronze playing retarded games, and we have to *really* make sure that they arent idiots before we let them out.)

but this week - sc2 break for me. vacation. then it will be another week to get back up to "speed' before i touch the ladder again.

Joe K on
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

PICTURE IN PICTURE WEBCAM GOODNESS!!!

All tune in to the gareth cam

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    master gm is hard because the system in place means that you could theoretically never be able to move up if no one gets bonus pool kicked out of gm

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited June 2011
    joe you're out of bronze you can stop theorizing why you were there for so long

Variable on