Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

EVOLUTION TWENTY-ELEVEN TOURNAMENT: JULY 29-31 FISTS WILL FLY AT THIS LOCATION

12357100

Posts

  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Kazaka wrote: »
    knob I gotta ask

    why not yun?

    Why not yun for what

    Knob on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Knob wrote: »
    Kazaka wrote: »
    knob I gotta ask

    why not yun?

    Why not yun for what

    fuck yun

    Brolo on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yun is for babies

    Sars_Boy on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    Basically they're already pushing the limits of the ps3 and 360, so it can't take rollbacks.

    The Capcom guy at the East Coast Showdown had more to say than that. One big thing is that their "netcode issues" they don't experience in Japan because their internet is way better. I don't know much about GGPO but I don't see how it could really help solve issues involving a high-amount of data transfer and limited bandwidth which is the root of the problem here.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • BalefuegoBalefuego regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "the capcom guy"

    come on now! That's Seth Killian! The Cloth Hand! The Face of Street Fighter!


    (I love Seth)


    Seth doing commentary with Chris Hu was fuckin amazing

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    fuck Yang because I was excited to play him and he's kind of ass. there's no reason to play yang when you have yun right there

    Knob on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He seems like a cool dude and all but that was only the second time I had seen him on stream so I did not remember his name.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Knob wrote: »
    fuck Yang because I was excited to play him and he's kind of ass. there's no reason to play yang when you have yun right there

    in no way is he ass

    Sars_Boy on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Seth Killian is awesome. I love listening to him talk about mechanics or do commentary.

    Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    good lord dieminion is skinny

    Sars_Boy on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Knob wrote: »
    there's no reason to play [insert character] when you have yun right there

    also, AE in a nutshell

    Sars_Boy on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    there's no reason to play [insert character] when you have [insert top tier character] right there

    also, every fighting game ever in a nutshell

    Walt on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's not really a high amount of data transfer, or limited bandwidth that's the problem.

    You're barely transmitting any information at all (just your button inputs), but it needs to be sent with very low latency, and being even a few tenths of a second behind will fuck things up (SFIV operates at 60 frames/second for its gameplay mechanics, if you're 2/10ths of a second behind you can lose up to 12 frames worth of inputs, which is a crouching LP for most characters).

    GGPO works in 2D games by "buffering" latency into frames of animation that work as the start up and recovery frames for an executed move. If the GGPO system detects that a lag spike has affected gameplay, it can cut out those inactive frames to help keep the system in sync, "rolling back" your inputs into the game.

    The problem with 3D games is that the animation system doesn't work the same way at all, since the computer is now calculating all the 'tweening' frames between major key frames of animation. You can't safely cut frames in the same fashion without screwing up either how the characters move, or worse, their positions in relation to one another (and risk de-syncing the game in the process, so that two players would see slightly different versions of the same match as they fought each other).

    The only way to do it is to send ALL the computational data back and forth, which probably would be pushing a lot of bandwidth, and the additional packets probably would result in more latency than GGPO would compensate for anyway.

    But yeah, as it is the backbone internet in Japan is so low-latency that you're only getting a few ms worth of lag anyway, so most players there agree that it's almost as good as playing offline.

    Brolo on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So it's not a bandwidth or data transfer issue but...it is?

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    So it's not a bandwidth or data transfer issue but...it is?

    even if you had the bandwidth for it, using your bandwidth that way wouldn't make any sense or solve any problems

    it's much more of a fundamental problem with how the engine works and how key frames are computed

    Brolo on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    fuck Yang because I was excited to play him and he's kind of ass. there's no reason to play yang when you have yun right there

    in no way is he ass

    It's the iron man magneto thing in marvel all over again

    On paper iron man is okay, but magneto does every single thing im does, but way better

    Yang is okay, but if you want to play high pressure divekick offense, why aren't you playing yun




    Or rufus

    Knob on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rekkas and rolly kick thing are fun though!

    Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want to see more Iron Man in MVC3.

    Not that I play MVC3 or am particularly good at it.

    I just like Iron Man.

    Brolo on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah me too. I was really excited about IM but found him really awkward to use.

    Wolvie/Tasky/Dante now though!

    Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Walt wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    there's no reason to play [insert character] when you have [insert top tier character] right there

    also, every fighting game ever in a nutshell

    touche

    Sars_Boy on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't like what Wolverine does to the game. Seems high level matches turn into which Wolverine player can hit the other play first, then x-factor, and then you automatically lose your first two characters.

    Brolo on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah wolverine is getting pretty obnoxious

    i hate playing him to, if anything for his divekick input

    Sars_Boy on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You could probably balance Wolverine by either taking away Berserker Charge or his level 3 because it's total bullshit that he has both.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • FutoreFutore regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I played Wolverine before anyone. And then I stopped playing Marvel

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    "the capcom guy"

    come on now! That's Seth Killian! The Cloth Hand! The Face of Street Fighter!


    (I love Seth)


    Seth doing commentary with Chris Hu was fuckin amazing

    When they had the MvC fight club event in Atlanta, there were some delays getting doors open, a lot of frustration with how the pseudo-tournament was being handled, and some bullshit about a VIP line and designated area for micro-celebrities that had nothing to do with vidja games. The Final Round guys that helped with the event were trying to be helpful, but most of the Capcom people were being kinda dicks to kids that tried to talk to them, except Seth who came out more than once to hang out with people in line and talk about AE and so on.

    A group of like nine friends behind me in line were fucking star struck by the guy and kept whispering about him when he would walk by. He overheard them at one point and came up with a smirk all, "What're you guys talking about?" The guy proceeded to pose for a photo with each kid individually. Capcom did really well when they snagged him.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i wanna get high with seth killian and play/talk about fighting games

    that would be great times

    Sars_Boy on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    You could probably balance Wolverine by either taking away Berserker Charge or his level 3 because it's total bullshit that he has both.

    If they're willing to cut Sentinel's health in half, they should certainly be able to adjust the numbers on his XF. It'd be hilarious if he got no damage boost until level 3. But maybe they're concerned that there have been too many tournaments now to change things. Or maybe they'll save balancing 'til after Evo.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    I don't like what Wolverine does to the game. Seems high level matches turn into which Wolverine player can hit the other play first, then x-factor, and then you automatically lose your first two characters.

    Um... that's marvel?

    Seriously whoever lands the first cr.L can turn that into a massive combo destroying your character.

    He's not lvl 3 xfactor dark phoenix broken.

    Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited June 2011
    i dont think that touch of death for most of your teams is necessarily "marvel"

    especially when it's not really that hard to do

    undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't mind X-factor damage being a boon for a character though because many have that. I just hate that Wolverine can do devastating damage off a long range hit confirm (thanks to Charge) and he can combo into a 440k dealing level 3.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Walt wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    there's no reason to play [insert character] when you have [insert top tier character] right there

    also, every fighting game ever in a nutshell

    touche

    Not really. Sagat was king of vanilla, but there were still reasons to play not-sagat

    Yun and Yang are similar enough that picking the less good one seems silly

    Knob on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    I don't like what Wolverine does to the game. Seems high level matches turn into which Wolverine player can hit the other play first, then x-factor, and then you automatically lose your first two characters.

    Um... that's marvel?

    Seriously whoever lands the first cr.L can turn that into a massive combo destroying your character.

    He's not lvl 3 xfactor dark phoenix broken.

    That's not really accurate. Lots of characters can't touch-of-death in one combo or even to do so require precise execution.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    "the capcom guy"

    come on now! That's Seth Killian! The Cloth Hand! The Face of Street Fighter!


    (I love Seth)


    Seth doing commentary with Chris Hu was fuckin amazing

    When they had the MvC fight club event in Atlanta, there were some delays getting doors open, a lot of frustration with how the pseudo-tournament was being handled, and some bullshit about a VIP line and designated area for micro-celebrities that had nothing to do with vidja games. The Final Round guys that helped with the event were trying to be helpful, but most of the Capcom people were being kinda dicks to kids that tried to talk to them, except Seth who came out more than once to hang out with people in line and talk about AE and so on.

    A group of like nine friends behind me in line were fucking star struck by the guy and kept whispering about him when he would walk by. He overheard them at one point and came up with a smirk all, "What're you guys talking about?" The guy proceeded to pose for a photo with each kid individually. Capcom did really well when they snagged him.

    I can't think of a better spokesman for a videogame company than Seth - like if you look at the horrible clowns people get for E3 keynotes and press conferences, you have to wonder why Ubisoft keeps on using the likes of Mr Caffeine or Jaime Kennedy

    Get someone who's a passionate player from your community that also has good public speaking and presentation skills. Then have him talk to the community about your games. You will get so much more credit and respect than hiring a c-list celebrity who clearly does not give a fuck about what's being presented and has no idea what he's talking about.

    Brolo on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    I don't like what Wolverine does to the game. Seems high level matches turn into which Wolverine player can hit the other play first, then x-factor, and then you automatically lose your first two characters.

    Um... that's marvel?

    Seriously whoever lands the first cr.L can turn that into a massive combo destroying your character.

    He's not lvl 3 xfactor dark phoenix broken.

    That's not really accurate. Lots of characters can't touch-of-death in one combo or even to do so require precise execution.

    Lots of characters cant, or you (or anyone) just don't know how to yet? Many can and the argument about how easy or hard something is doesn't matter when you get to higher levels of play where everyone can nail down combos.

    Wolverine really isn't that hard to zone out if you play smart against him. Berserker slash is very much unsafe on block and it can still be blocked even if you do a left/right mixup using an assist like arthur's daggers or taskmaster's H shot.

    I don't really see the point of bitching about stuff. Games can be hard, some characters are hard to fight against. That's fine. Its one thing to say, "I have trouble fighting against this character" and its another to say "He's stupid because I don't know how to block his stuff."

    Unless we're talking about ST-akuma levels of retarded don't waste your energy talking about how overpowered some characters are.

    Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't mind X-factor damage being a boon for a character though because many have that. I just hate that Wolverine can do devastating damage off a long range hit confirm (thanks to Charge) and he can combo into a 440k dealing level 3.

    In the context of what makes Wolverine a threat, his level 3 really just seems superfluous. Yeah, it seems a bit unfair that the guy gets four different hypers, but it's almost not worth the meter use with how fast Wolverine can continually pump out fatal claws. Getting hit with it certainly doesn't have the same having-your-face-shat-on feel that America's Favorite Combo does.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love how you think citing "high-level" play bolsters your argument while Wolverine and Phoenix teams completely dominate high-level play and have been for the past couple months. Also, high level players drop combos all the fucking time in MvC3.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish converting X-23's OTG with an assist wasn't such a fucking chore or limited to so few assists, because her feint loops don't work for shit online.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    I love how you think citing "high-level" play bolsters your argument while Wolverine and Phoenix teams completely dominate high-level play and have been for the past couple months. Also, high level players drop combos all the fucking time in MvC3.

    My point is that how difficult a combo is to execute has nothing to do with a character being broken.

    Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • FutoreFutore regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    I don't like what Wolverine does to the game. Seems high level matches turn into which Wolverine player can hit the other play first, then x-factor, and then you automatically lose your first two characters.

    Um... that's marvel?

    Seriously whoever lands the first cr.L can turn that into a massive combo destroying your character.

    He's not lvl 3 xfactor dark phoenix broken.

    That's not really accurate. Lots of characters can't touch-of-death in one combo or even to do so require precise execution.

    Also.. for a game that's been out only a few months there's quite a few characters that can do 100% combos. A quick google search gives:

    Dante
    Hulk
    Spencer
    Magneto
    ...and other nonsense can be seen here

    With x-factor 100% combos are easy for lots of characters. I'm not sure what game you've been playing...

    Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
Sign In or Register to comment.