As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EVOLUTION TWENTY-ELEVEN TOURNAMENT: JULY 29-31 FISTS WILL FLY AT THIS LOCATION

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    dang after how boring skarlet looked I am extra happy about how super rad kenshi looks

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really wish there were actual grapplers in MK

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think my issue with Wolverine is that he can get a 100% combo off a throw

Pretty sure sentinel is the only other character who can do that

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wolverine this, phoenix that

I wish x-factor just made you take no chip, regenerate red life and let you cancel one unsafe thing you did or extend a combo. No damage, no speed

I'd be less uninclined to watch MvC3 then fo sho

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah ok so everyone can 100% with x-factor but that's not what I was really getting at. Wolverine's advantage over others in those videos is that he can put out insane damage without burning x-factor. Most characters need x-factor to that while Wolverine can kill many characters with just an assist and maybe an extra meter and I still reject your notion that ease of a combo doesn't matter. Most of the pros compete in multiple games and no doubt use their practice time as efficiently as possible by learning combos they can perform reliably in pressure situations against different opponents.

Yeah so a guy on youtube can pull of an 100% combo on a dummy Sentinel; a middle health character with a giant fucking hitbox. Big deal. Lets see him pull it off in a pressure situation against a Wesker or a Wolverine.

Wolverine with x-factor is more than just a 100% combo he's more like 200% in that with the right assist setup most entering characters have at best a 50% chance of blocking a hit. I think that's the argument and his unassisted damage levels are what I hear the most by high-level players on the stream that seem to overwhelmingly agree that Wolverine is the best character in the game.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Yeah ok so everyone can 100% with x-factor but that's not what I was really getting at. Wolverine's advantage over others in those videos is that he can put out insane damage without burning x-factor. Most characters need x-factor to that while Wolverine can kill many characters with just an assist and maybe an extra meter and I still reject your notion that ease of a combo doesn't matter. Most of the pros compete in multiple games and no doubt use their practice time as efficiently as possible by learning combos they can perform reliably in pressure situations against different opponents.

He needs more than an assist and one bar.
    Butters wrote:
    Yeah so a guy on youtube can pull of an 100% combo on a dummy Sentinel; a middle health character with a giant fucking hitbox. Big deal. Lets see him pull it off in a pressure situation against a Wesker or a Wolverine.

If you looked at the damage against sentinel... that was pre-patched health nerfed sentinel. Sorry I wasn't looking through tournament footage for 100% combos, but long combos happen in tournament matches all the time.... its stupid to continue this line of thought though because it gets away from the argument.
    Butters wrote:
    Wolverine with x-factor is more than just a 100% combo he's more like 200% in that with the right assist setup most entering characters have at best a 50% chance of blocking a hit. I think that's the argument and his unassisted damage levels are what I hear the most by high-level players on the stream that seem to overwhelmingly agree that Wolverine is the best character in the game.

The 50/50 refers to when a character dies and the next character has to come in and guess which way to block right away. Want to avoid this? Then don't lose your point character.

Look.. wolverine is a very strong character and probably is the best non-phoenix character in the game. My only point is that doesn't make him overpowered and that its pointless to complain about him. Same shit happened with sagat from vanilla sf4. He was probably top tier but no one gains anything by complaining about it rather than working on developing strategies to counter it.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, the devs did listen to the community complaints about Sagat, and he got nerfed accordingly in Super.

And really, none of SFIV's character imbalances are anywhere near as bad as things get in Marvel.

Brolo on
    edited June 2011
    anyone want to stop arguing and start playing me in SF4?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited June 2011
    I know what the 50/50 means. That situation is what I was describing with "entering characters." Don't lose the point, huh? Are you really that much of a pro? That's like saying "you should win instead of losing next time."

We'll see about Wolvie for sure after EVO. I don't know much about Sagat (except that he's cheap as fuck) as I'm new to SF4 but as I understand it despite all the whining about him no player ever won a major with Sagat. You and I may have different definitions of what "overpowered" means. I understand that fighting games will always have tiers but if you have one character that's more or less superior to all others I see that as overpowered. I don't want to see him nerfed or anything I just think there's some room for adjustment somewhere.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    Well, the devs did listen to the community complaints about Sagat, and he got nerfed accordingly in Super.

And really, none of SFIV's character imbalances are anywhere near as bad as things get in Marvel.

Lots of changes happened between vanilla and super though... super is arguably one of the most balanced fighters out there so I think most of those changes were positives.

The "community" also bitched about sentinel who got nerfed even though not a single pro put sentinel in their top 5 tier list.

So... the fact that complaints made characters nerfed doesn't mean that it was the right decision.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wolverine's 50/50 is fucking obnoxious

That part of that character I hate more than anything

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2011
    MvC3 is still more balanced than MvC2 was

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    Sentinel was nerfed mostly because you couldn't punish his assist. I think dropping him down to 900k was a mistake given his hitbox size but I think the issue was still worth addressing.

Butters on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's the funniest part

I guess it would be fine if they actually patched the game like MK instead of "whoops nerf sentinel and get rid of some glitches"

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2011
    I know what the 50/50 means. That situation is what I was describing with "entering characters." Don't lose the point, huh? Are you really that much of a pro? That's like saying "you should win instead of losing next time."

Nope.. never claimed I was any good... and what I said is not equivalent to that. I said that complaining about a character being too good is annoying.
    Butters wrote:
    We'll see about Wolvie for sure after EVO. I don't know much about Sagat (except that he's cheap as fuck) as I'm new to SF4 but as I understand it despite all the whining about him no player ever won a major with Sagat. You and I may have different definitions of what "overpowered" means. I understand that fighting games will always have tiers but if you have one character that's more or less superior to all others I see that as overpowered. I don't want to see him nerfed or anything I just think there's some room for adjustment somewhere.

See the red part? You don't know much about something.. but it must be cheap! Better run to the internets to complain about it! That's the part that pisses me off more than anything else.

Oh sweet I get to look forward to more bitching after Evo? Fantastic. And you don't want to see him nerfed or anything... because then you'll have to find something else to bitch about.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited June 2011
    That was just a jab at his play style. The word cheap is thrown around so much its not even really a insult anymore. But go ahead and ignore the rest of what I said that effectively supports your opinion. Let's fight cuz this is the fightin' thread!

As for waiting after EVO, if Wolverine and Phoenix dominate the tournament I agree with Annie and think there's a good chance they'll patch them. After all what good would releasing any further DLC be if everyone still dies to those teams. Hell no one even plays Jill or Shuma. If I'm right then I guess you'll be one bitching!

Butters on
    edited June 2011
    That was just a jab at his play style. The word cheap is thrown around so much its not even really a insult anymore. But go ahead and ignore the rest of what I said that effectively supports your opinion. Let's fight cuz this is the fightin' thread!

As for waiting after EVO, if Wolverine and Phoenix dominate the tournament I agree with Annie and think there's a good chance they'll patch them. After all what good would releasing any further DLC be if everyone still dies to those teams. Hell no one even plays Jill or Shuma. If I'm right then I guess you'll be one bitching!

Know what I'm going to do if a game stops being fun? I'll play something else! It won't even be a big deal! I'll probably say something like.. "Hey 3S online is out, you guys should play with me!"

Contrast that with.. "Oh my god wolverine is broken right guys? Let's complain about it some more!"

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    I am basically done with marvel. There's a pile of shit I don't like about it, but that's the game. I don't want to see everything going the way of mk with fucked up balance patches every damn day. Either learn the game or drop it. Tired of getting rocked by phoenix? Get your ass on the phoenix train. You think every single mvc2 team has a sent because giant robots are awesome? Nope. It's because if you don't have a giant robot, you lose. That's the game.

Knob on
    edited June 2011
    Haha, we should be pals, folken

Knob on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The biggest problem with Vanilla Sagat (and I'm still playing against a lot of Vanilla Sagats thanks to the PC version) was that he does so much damage that even though other characters could be outplaying him and out guessing most of his moves with mix-ups, if you ever traded hits with him you'd come out the overall loser.

I can manage a decent level of play with Sakura and Gouken using mix up pressure and safe option selects, and generally use my head to out-play my opponents. Usually these are people who around the 3000 battle point levels (PC vanilla BP mind you), which is close to where I hover.

But if I switch to Sagat I don't have to think at all against most opponents, I can just flowchart from tiger shots to tiger knees and standing HK, and even though people can predict what I'm going to do and can usually out maneuver me, the times that I do hit do so much damage that I can still pull out some pretty easy wins.

Brolo on
    edited June 2011
    Hey Knob and Folken, come play my Hakan

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited June 2011
    Knob wrote: »
    Haha, we should be pals, folken

<3

Sorry about last night.. I was having some of my friends over for local matches. I'm down for games tonight if you want though.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited June 2011
    Futore wrote: »
    Hey Knob and Folken, come play my Hakan

At school right now. I'll come home when the rain stops. You gonna be around all day/night?

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited June 2011
    Knob wrote:
    That's the game and it sucks. Don't patch it, just let it suck and be ass.

You're too funny, Knob.

Butters on
    edited June 2011
    nah, I have work at 4. Another time.

Who are you playing these days?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think we all just need to calm down and play some Shaq-Fu.

Dibs on Mephis.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    edited June 2011
    I abused the shit out of vanilla sagat

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    Futore wrote: »
    nah, I have work at 4. Another time.

Who are you playing these days?

Trying to play Yang because I want to see what its like to play a more aggressive character. Still not sure if I'm sticking with him for sure yet. Maybe dhalsim against non-twins? Maybe honda when I'm having trouble with twins?

I'm having more fun with marvel right now though mostly because my friend from DC just got it and I have fun with new teams once a week.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish there was a no corners training mode.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish converting X-23's OTG with an assist wasn't such a fucking chore or limited to so few assists, because her feint loops don't work for shit online.

you gotta teach me how to do those sometime.

you in town this week? I get off work around the same time you do, I think.

Sars_Boy on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'm catching up on errands and laundry today and tomorrow, but any day after that should be good for doing something.

Oh wait, I think Kool Keith is on Thursday.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited June 2011
    i may ring you up Wednesday then. god i wish i could go to kool keith.

i think someone at work is gonna help me get into Harvey Milk next week though.

Sars_Boy on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Nogs wrote: »
    seeing as im web savvy and have somewhat of a disposable income, i'm thinking about getting into the local fighting game community and buying streaming equipment.

who knows

i could become the spooky of Minnesota.

you know colin (lechooga), right?

he knows dudes.

Yup, he's been in europe for the past few weeks though. i gotta see what hes up to.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Are you still under 21? Jeez, man.

Jeez.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited June 2011
    they still make people under 21? what is this, the 90s?

also nogs, butters, do you guys have any suggestions for collecting the monies?

one person has to buy the pack and gift it out. I was thinking paypal, but they charge service fees.

TheStig on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    they still make people under 21? what is this, the 90s?

also nogs, butters, do you guys have any suggestions for collecting the monies?

one person has to buy the pack and gift it out. I was thinking paypal, but they charge service fees.

yeah, youd think steam would do something about this to ease the confusion.

i mean, im fine with paypal, but if the service fees are like $10 then, ya, no point.

i wonder if i can wire money with my online bank account.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited June 2011

Are you still under 21? Jeez, man.

Jeez.

2 damn months.

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2011
    You want to know what the real problem with MvC3 is? It isn't Phoenix or Wolverine or X-Factor or the DHC glitch. It's unescapable OTGs.

Seriously. Devote some thought to it for a minute.

Knob on
    edited June 2011
    it is extremely annoying.

TheStig on
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But what will I do if I don't have like 5 seconds after an air combo to call in Wesker to keep the combo going?

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852