As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's everywhere!

FFFF Once Upon a TimeIn OaklandRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
This grass, or at least, I think it's a grass. I've never seen grass like this though. It grows about 8-12" tall from what I've seen and it spreads more than any other grass I've known. It also sends out roots like crazy. I've pulled up roots that are a couple of feet long. It's even chocking out the blackberries, which is quite the feat considering they grow like weeds where I am. (East Bay, CA). I'm knocking it all down with a weed trimmer and covering with landscape cloth, but I'd really like to know exactly what I'm dealing with here. I am fairly sure it's not a native plant, but that's about all I got.
grass_01.jpg
grass_02.jpg

Huh...
FF on

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That appears to be St. Augustine. If so, most people would pay hundreds of dollars to have it in their yard, and pray to the nature goddess that it grows as fast as you're talking about.

spool32 on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In that case...

Anybody want to buy some grass? I have a shitload of it.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes, St Augustine. May go brown in the winter but can come back from brutal drought conditions. As such, it's pretty much the only kind of grass you can have in hotter climes where you don't need to overseed and water the shit out of to keep around year to year. Can be invasive, you need to aggressively pull up those runners to keep it contained, out of beds, etc. If you want to remove you probably want to solarize as it's difficult to fully uproot.

Djeet on