As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SC2: GO READ THE NEW THREAD!!

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The last few pages have reinforced my decision to block Fizban/Sylem. Thanks for the advice Dover.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Y'all need to calm down a bit.

Watch TL attack from yesterday, it's hilarious.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every angry poster in this thread is the reason I can't play Starcraft 2 in Europe. Also internet cafes can't run it. But mostly the angry posters.

JAEF on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And I'll form the head.
    isaymeow.jpg

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Every angry poster in this thread is the reason I can't play Starcraft 2 in Europe. Also internet cafes can't run it. But mostly the angry posters.

You could have told me, I would have yelled at you for a bit about not making enough probes!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Saaruto wrote: »
    Who all is in the Geforce Pro/Am in PA? I got a walkover and then was crushed by a masters Protoss. Post good reps if you've got em! Here's the replay of my second game if anyone wants to take a look or critique. My first game was just embarrassing so I'm not going to post that :wink:.

repimg-33-217621.jpg

I was no-showed and then was in Montreal (still am) so I couldn't play Sunday. Wonder what happens with the double no show

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Well if anyone wants to actually argue a point I am making go for it, but people get mad when I prove them wrong they just cry about it and ignore me. I can't help that my points are valid.

I, I can't believe I just read this.

You are gold league because? I don't get what you are trying to say.

First of all, this is kind of pot of you. You were in the same position not so long ago. As am I.
    Anyways how the hell do I hold PvT 1 base siege tech pushes? He pulled 16 SCVs as well, i was going 2 gate robo and he started making hellions before my obs was killed. After that I expanded, added another gate and 2 forges. Pumped out zealots, stalkers and sentries. We have equal army when he pushes in, except he has 16 SCVs and siege tech. My 1/1 was almost done.

But you're not at equal army, then. You have to work through (I'm assuming they are in front--the replay would be nice) that several hundred HP meat shield of workers so that you can get to the caramel center. The best way to get around that on only gateway units would be to FF the army in half, but the better way is to stay on one base if you scout that he is also on one base. Had you stayed on one-base and cut probes a little to strengthen your army size, you would likely be more able to deal with it with nothing but +armor zealot/ GS sentry (and maybe an immortal or two if you were feeling pro).

The replay would be good, just to see what time this happens, the map, and what army size we're talking about. I'm going to kind of sad if there's BM in it again, though.

So I can't ever really expand against terran if they are going to 1 base me?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can expand. You just might need to sac the expansion to defend at your ramp once you realize what's going on if you didn't cancel the expo in time. Then you play it out from there.

JAEF on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can only assume you let him waltz his tanks down all the way to your base, uncontested. The best way to lose to tanks is to let them get into position and siege up.

The best way to deal with tank pushes, in my experience, is with a soft contain. You camp outside his base with inferior numbers, since you expanded quickly and your army is smaller. When he tries to push out or expand, you pull back. Tanks aren't fantastic unsieged, so you can delay them a long time while they leapfrog to your base, and by then hopefully your macro has kicked in.

Also jesus how are all of you posting in this thread nobody beat me in a bo7 yet

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm counting our bo3 bo3.

kedinik on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lemming wrote: »
    I can only assume you let him waltz his tanks down all the way to your base, uncontested. The best way to lose to tanks is to let them get into position and siege up.

The best way to deal with tank pushes, in my experience, is with a soft contain. You camp outside his base with inferior numbers, since you expanded quickly and your army is smaller. When he tries to push out or expand, you pull back. Tanks aren't fantastic unsieged, so you can delay them a long time while they leapfrog to your base, and by then hopefully your macro has kicked in.

Also jesus how are all of you posting in this thread nobody beat me in a bo7 yet

Green = only because terran haven't realized that DPS unsieged is higher, and all you lose is a bit of range and splash (vs toss.... you def need the splash vs ling/bling)

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

What if I lose to you in a bo7 and accurately describe everything I did wrong.
    Everything I did wrong would, of course, be everything.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Well if anyone wants to actually argue a point I am making go for it, but people get mad when I prove them wrong they just cry about it and ignore me. I can't help that my points are valid.

I, I can't believe I just read this.

You are gold league because? I don't get what you are trying to say.

First of all, this is kind of pot of you. You were in the same position not so long ago. As am I.
    Anyways how the hell do I hold PvT 1 base siege tech pushes? He pulled 16 SCVs as well, i was going 2 gate robo and he started making hellions before my obs was killed. After that I expanded, added another gate and 2 forges. Pumped out zealots, stalkers and sentries. We have equal army when he pushes in, except he has 16 SCVs and siege tech. My 1/1 was almost done.

But you're not at equal army, then. You have to work through (I'm assuming they are in front--the replay would be nice) that several hundred HP meat shield of workers so that you can get to the caramel center. The best way to get around that on only gateway units would be to FF the army in half, but the better way is to stay on one base if you scout that he is also on one base. Had you stayed on one-base and cut probes a little to strengthen your army size, you would likely be more able to deal with it with nothing but +armor zealot/ GS sentry (and maybe an immortal or two if you were feeling pro).

The replay would be good, just to see what time this happens, the map, and what army size we're talking about. I'm going to kind of sad if there's BM in it again, though.

So I can't ever really expand against terran if they are going to 1 base me?

Well, think about it. Should you? If you don't see any sign of an attempt to expand with your scouting (no CC buil(t/ding), no low ground bunkers, lots of units), you should be expecting some kind of big push. There are a few situations where you _could_ expand, namely:

- You contain him with your army (but this is dangerous, hi medevacs)
    - You have and win an early engagement and force him into a defensive posture
    - Your opponent is terrible

But generally speaking, whenever you drop your expansion you're spotting your one-basing opponent at least six or seven units worth of army. This completely unscientific estimate is me eyeballing the four zealots you certainly gave up as well as the minerals lost while oversaturating and transferring probes. If he is also expanding, then that's fine--you're both making similar commitments. If he isn't, though, and you aren't teching at all, then of course you're going to get smashed.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    1 gate expo PvT can hold pretty much anything if executed correctly. It requires good forcefields usually.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I might try 1 gate expand, been doing 1 or 2 gate robo, both seem about the same to me.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This was a productive day of streaming got about 20 games in, tested the gareth cam and shook off the rust from my week and a half break. It really was striking to see how my record improved after i played alot. i went from 3 wins 8 losses to only losing 3 of the next 10.

Still trying to figure out terran though i think i just over estimate my army because terran infantry units are small but everytime i think i'm gonna wipe the floor with my opponent it goes poorly it seems. All in all though pretty fun plus i apparently placed my fan directly above my head and didnt realize it till hill said something.

GarethMagis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That sounds lik your problem. If you go 2 gate robo you are committing to putting on some kind of pressure, because if you expand after with no pressure and he 1 bases, there is a huge window for him to push your shit in.

With 1 gate expo, as long as you can hold off rushes, your extra income will come in time to stop most 1 base shenanigans.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also, Simon, did I ever mention that your avatar is one of the most amazingly awesome pieces of animation our pathetic species has had the luck to ever created?

if only...

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bisu is the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMH_q6jQbOo

lookit them dragoons

hahaha them probe kills on the marines

that goon control around those mines is unfathomable

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MMMig wrote: »

Green = only because terran haven't realized that DPS unsieged is higher, and all you lose is a bit of range and splash (vs toss.... you def need the splash vs ling/bling)

You underestimate how much of a difference the splash makes, even against Protoss. Unsieged tanks are terribly cost inefficient against anything a Toss will throw at them. They are only useful sieged, except in small numbers.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It really doesn't seem like they're completely useless unsieged though, which is what it's sounding like.

I know that the splash is 100% damage for a considerable radius, but with the rine/medi or marauder support should be enough to be able to move out without having to leap-frog sieged tanks.

Just saying... like landed vikings, it's viable.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Evidently some guy that I played on the ladder months and months ago gave the replay to a german caster. It was one of my favorite games!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJCpzBnkxw

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    dps is only higher against armoured targets, and terrans have known this since forever and use them unsieged against opponent terrans
    a bit of range, its 13 sieged vs 7 unsieged
    the splash was enough they nerfed vs light from 50 to 35, that is huge

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    WTB mid/late game zerg macro advice.

Once I reach 3 bases and beyond I just lose my head, there's so much to be attended to. Multiple queen injects all the time, teching and upgrading, building units, building more hatches because omg I'm floating the national debt, scouting, building the right units to counter what I see instead of just building shit that my opponent hardcounters already, microing on top of it all so that I don't waste 20 banes on a couple of thors...!!!

What I really want to know is what's going on in better players' heads at this stage of the game. Do you have a regular cycle of actions you go through, or a particular priority list of what actions you must never miss and what you can let slip when it gets too hectic?

I'll add my latest replay, though I'm not sure if that helps much with a question like this.

repimg-33-218148.jpg

Replay added. I played horribly beyond the 3-base mark in this game, losing every single one of my 4 expansions at least once and some multiple times, and eventually losing all my drones as well. Ultimately I win anyway because the opponent failed to build anything close to a reasonable number of SCVs or expansions himself, but I totally failed to make anything of my massive economic advantage for most of the game, and I felt totally lost in my head.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I keep meaning to sit down and play, I really do, it's just I bought these, and I can't stay off them...
    70320390.jpg

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You're still in silver, so don't worry about army composition too much. Just mass roaches, and if there are air units, get hydras. Don't worry about it beyond that. Focus on your macro, especially your injects and spending your money. Whenever there's a fight, just a move your units and go back to macro.

Once you get to platinum or diamond, start paying attention to unit composition. Until then, roaches are a great unit to mass and are at least decent against pretty much anything.

Lemming on
  • Options
    Off ConstantlyOff Constantly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Here are my WFC replays.
    repimg-33-216567.jpg
    repimg-33-217504.jpg
    repimg-33-217505.jpg
    repimg-33-217506.jpg
    repimg-33-217508.jpg
    repimg-33-217509.jpg
    repimg-33-217510.jpg
    repimg-33-217090.jpg
    repimg-33-217511.jpg
    repimg-33-217514.jpg
    repimg-33-218153.jpg
    repimg-33-218154.jpg

Off Constantly on
    396114-1.png
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TIME to buy a terran account!

This must be done, i must see what life is like on the dark side

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so i read on tl quake live got dumped for league of legends

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thats unfortunante, I know quake live was not well liked but it certainly was a more competitive game than LoL. Nothing against LoL but it is really hard to watch.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=237909 - Intel Extreme Masters VI link (in case anyone else didn't immediately get what peacekeeper meant).

And bleh, don't really like watching LoL, but if I really feel like watching a shooter instead of Starcraft while it's on I can just watch CS.

EDIT: $635,000 for all three games over five tournaments?

Damn, that's a lot of money.

Biosys on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We got some LoL haters in here, I see.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oops yeah it was the intel masters thing that i was talking about

635k sounds like a lot but i am more interested in the format and distribution of their prize money, top heavy will always be dumb

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ohh, huk listens to childish gambino. I knew I liked him for a reason.

Wait, his favorite movie is Fight Club...

Well, I guess he is like 17?

Yann on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You need a fairly to heavy pool though, otherwise when it gets near the top and the prize money has a difference but is still fairly similar, the tension won't run as high.

Dropping Quake is kind of lame, even if Quake Live is the bad Quake.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    quake live isn't that bad

its not quake 4

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nah it is that bad.
    Quake 4 at least had its weird crouch slidy turning movement redeeming it. Sort of.

I really would've liked them picking up CPMA as the physics set for QuakeLive. I'd stop bitching almost entirely.

What they did do was pick up the guys who did the netcode for CPMA, then nothing changed.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    that is obvious stim

what doesn't seem obvious to organisers is there is not long term foundation to giving away 10k to 1st, 5k for 2nd etc, and nothing to the other 90% of competitors

also it looks like huk is 22 yann

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yann, fight club is an excellent movie, and I'll fight you for that. As long as it isn't taken too seriously that is, the "I should start a fight club" crowd is pretty stupid!

And IEM taking LoL over Quake is quite sad, they could at least have taken the good dota clone, HoN. Not the one that removes one of the most important mechanics for that kind of game.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yann wrote: »
    Ohh, huk listens to childish gambino. I knew I liked him for a reason.

Wait, his favorite movie is Fight Club...

Well, I guess he is like 17?

fight club is an excellent movie

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch