As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop Overheatin', on youtubes???

HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESHRAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
My laptop has been kickin' ass for a while now. But in the last month or so, after I had reinstalled windows 7 for a clean slate it heats up like never before on incredibly simple tasks, youtube videos and the like. I was running League of Legends on some pretty good settings and had 40fps during team fights, and now I am lagging scrolling through the forums.

Help me tech tavern, tell me what you need to know to trouble shoot and solve this problem so I can stream my netflix and play my games the way the ol' girl used to

HellaJeff on

• peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe you didn't properly reinstall your video drivers. You'd have to look up the right ones on the laptop vendor's website. Don't be tempted to install the video drivers from the GPU vendor on a laptop, I did that once and it messed stuff up something fierce until I reinstalled the laptop vendor ones.

Another thing that you could check is whether other laptop specific drivers are installed correctly. They are necessary for things like fan speed and proper cpu and gpu power control.

peterdevore on
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got my video card drivers up to date, but how would I go about getting the others?

HellaJeff on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Speaking of fans, is your laptop just sluggish in general all of a sudden?
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    Check yer temps yo. Damn near every time this problem ends up being due to a burned out fan.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited June 2011
    It acts fine when it is cool, but gets hot really fast, and then performance plummits.

and it is doing this on programs and actions it never used to.

HellaJeff on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, that sounds a LOT like a fan issue. Flip her over and inspect the fans while it's running. Also, introduce your rig to the joys of canned air.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited June 2011
    alright, so it turns out my bios is super out of date, how would I update this?

HellaJeff on
    edited June 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    alright, so it turns out my bios is super out of date, how would I update this?

What make and model is your laptop? If there's a BIOS update it'll be available on your manufacturer's website.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Turns out they don't make an update for windows 7, but I have a hard time believing that would cause my problems.

I downloaded speed fan and sometimes my GPU will get up to 93C. But Speed fan is not detecting my fan, so I can't change it's speeds : (

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    93C!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Skoal Cat on
    Ya, it hurts pretty bad if you touch it

• PixelStylesPixelStyles Registered User regular
    I had this issue on my Mac, check for a browser extension that will convert Flash to HTML5. Or try using the HTML5 version of YouTube? That calmed down my laptop quick. Safari, Chrome, and Firefox have such plugins. I'm not sure about IE though.

I just used youtube as an example of a process that is not taxing but is making my computer freak out. LoL is another example, I can't get more that 25 fps when I used to get 60 no matter what the dealio

• tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    What kind of video card do you have on your laptop? I ask because when I installed Catalyst, it was automatically overclocking my card for me and I had to go into the settings and turn it off.

tardcore on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    That's way too hot, update BIOS and such and also take a can of compressed air, hold the fan down, and blow out any dust. Adding some lubricant might help too.

aRkpc.gif
    edited August 2011
    tardcore wrote:
    What kind of video card do you have on your laptop? I ask because when I installed Catalyst, it was automatically overclocking my card for me and I had to go into the settings and turn it off.

Geforce 260m, I have never heard of this catalyst?

There is no bios update for windows 7 on my machine : (
    and I didn't see any dust in the fan when I opened it up : (

: (

HellaJeff on