As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hooking up laptop to HD TV via HDMI

WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've got this sweet HD TV that I'm trying to hook my laptop up to so that I can watch Netflix on it. I used to do this all the time in the past (exact same laptop and exact same HD TV). I purchased an HDMI cable yesterday and then I went on to spend hours of frustrated finagling without any results. The problem is, I hook up my laptop to the TV, then I go into the nVIDIA control panel (I have a 8600M GT, updated the drivers last night) and I select my TV from the "multiple monitors" menu, and then I "Apply", but no matter what my TV will still display "No Signal", despite clearly being set to the correct HDMI input. I noticed that when I go to change to my TV through the multiple monitors menu, the little image of the HD TV is greyed out, but I can still check the box to make it a monitor. The thing is, when I use an RGB cable it works just fine, and I can get my laptop screen to show up on the TV (I'm using the HDMI cable because I want sound). Does anyone have any idea of how I can get this to work? I'm hoping I didn't buy this super over-priced HDMI cable for nothing.

Winky on

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    have you tested the HDMI cable by using it on another device?

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    have you tested the HDMI cable by using it on another device?

First step right here.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You also should't pay more than a few bucks for an HDMI cable. Also, are you sure that your laptop will output sound through the HDMI?

Cabezone on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Have you put the TV on the corresponding input and then turned it off and then on when plugged into the laptop? My MacBook Pro does this. I can't just plug the laptop straight into the TV with the TV already on.

Esh on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cabezone wrote: »
    You also should't pay more than a few bucks for an HDMI cable. Also, are you sure that your laptop will output sound through the HDMI?

Also, don't buy the cables for a penny. The copper is too thin on those and breaks inside of the insulation.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cabezone wrote: »

Also, don't buy the cables for a penny. The copper is too thin on those and breaks inside of the insulation.

Not to derail this thread, but we make these cables at work and i'd just like to add that when judging for an amount to spend on HDMI cabling two important factors are: fixed or mobile installation? (will you ever unplug it? if so, not the supercheapest cable). Cable length (anything under a meter or two does not require premium cabling at all. They will all perform equally).

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I ended up paying $20 for a 12-ft cable because I just kind of wanted it fast.

Today I dropped by my student store and picked up another $5 3-ft cable. I'll try that out to see if it works instead (unfortunately I don't have any other things that can be connected together with an HDMI cable).

Winky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alright, so I realized that I could use my 360 to test out the HDMI cable instead. 360 > TV totally works, so there's something wrong with my laptop I guess.

Like I said, I updated the drivers yesterday. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what I might be able to do?

Winky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Some laptops have a hotkey you have to press to enable alternate outputs. Also, do you have the laptop set to a resolution that you're sure is compatible with the tv? Some equipment is kinda bitchy about that.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    So, I've got this sweet HD TV that I'm trying to hook my laptop up to so that I can watch Netflix on it. I used to do this all the time in the past (exact same laptop and exact same HD TV). I purchased an HDMI cable yesterday and then I went on to spend hours of frustrated finagling without any results. The problem is, I hook up my laptop to the TV, then I go into the nVIDIA control panel (I have a 8600M GT, updated the drivers last night) and I select my TV from the "multiple monitors" menu, and then I "Apply", but no matter what my TV will still display "No Signal", despite clearly being set to the correct HDMI input. I noticed that when I go to change to my TV through the multiple monitors menu, the little image of the HD TV is greyed out, but I can still check the box to make it a monitor. The thing is, when I use an RGB cable it works just fine, and I can get my laptop screen to show up on the TV (I'm using the HDMI cable because I want sound). Does anyone have any idea of how I can get this to work? I'm hoping I didn't buy this super over-priced HDMI cable for nothing.

Your video card is probably att too high a resolution to display on your tv. switch it to a lower one

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Your video card is probably att too high a resolution to display on your tv. switch it to a lower one

I went ahead and tried it at a bunch of different resolutions. A few that I'm positive worked last time I got it to work.

Also, I messed with the function key for monitor switching, it didn't affect anything.

Winky on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I went ahead and tried it at a bunch of different resolutions. A few that I'm positive worked last time I got it to work.

Also, I messed with the function key for monitor switching, it didn't affect anything.

A VGA cable (which I'm assuming is what you've used in the past) and an HDMI cable are going to work differently on the TV. My TV's VGA inputs supports a number of resolutions, none of which are an perfect match to the TV's resolution so there's always some stretching/scaling going on. The HDMI in only supports a few specific resolutions (480, 720, 1080). So figure out what resolution your TV is, and set your laptop to EXACTLY that resolution to test (or alternatively, find the manual for your TV and see what resolutions the HDMI input supports and set the laptop to one of them). If that still doesn't work, then there's probably something wonky going on with the laptop.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Daenris wrote: »

A VGA cable (which I'm assuming is what you've used in the past) and an HDMI cable are going to work differently on the TV. My TV's VGA inputs supports a number of resolutions, none of which are an perfect match to the TV's resolution so there's always some stretching/scaling going on. The HDMI in only supports a few specific resolutions (480, 720, 1080). So figure out what resolution your TV is, and set your laptop to EXACTLY that resolution to test (or alternatively, find the manual for your TV and see what resolutions the HDMI input supports and set the laptop to one of them). If that still doesn't work, then there's probably something wonky going on with the laptop.

No, when I say worked before I mean I've actually hooked this exact laptop up to this exact TV with a HDMI cable in the past, I haven't done it for 6 months or so and I just moved into a new place and got a new cable and I'm trying to do it again. I tried using the exact same resolution that I did previously. I have a VGA cable as well and that works fine.

Is it possible that the HDMI port on my laptop is borked? The only reason why I didn't think this is the case is because it recognizes that the TV is there, and acts like everything is just fine, but doesn't seem to send the signal.

Winky on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's starting to seem like the most likely answer

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh well, I'm sending it in soon to have the LCD repaired, so I might as well leave a note that mentions that the HDMI port isn't working with it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Winky on
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Try rolling back to the old drivers.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if maybe your new drivers aren't working with the hdcp handshake.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I've got this sweet HD TV that I'm trying to hook my laptop up to so that I can watch Netflix on it.
    Alright, so I realized that I could use my 360 to test out the HDMI cable instead. 360 > TV totally works

If only modern consoles worked with Netflix

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    BoomShake wrote: »
    So, I've got this sweet HD TV that I'm trying to hook my laptop up to so that I can watch Netflix on it.
    Alright, so I realized that I could use my 360 to test out the HDMI cable instead. 360 > TV totally works

If only modern consoles worked with Netflix

This is actually the solution I ended up going with :P. I didn't want to do it right away because I didn't have an Xbox Live subscription.

Winky on