As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

goddammit Firefox!

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
For some reason, my firefox will not open pdf links anymore. I just get a new tab with "about:blank" in the address bar. I have the adobe plugin (version 9.4.5.236), and it worked fine until like a week ago. anyone Mozilla savvy here?

Dr. Frenchenstein on

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Which version of Reader are you using? 9 or 10?

You should also clear your FireFox cache and see if that solves anything.

JustinSane07 on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm running reader 8, but i have acrobat 9(writer)

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited June 2011
    clearing cache didn't help

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also depends on your Firefox. Firefox recently updated to 4, then a couple weeks later to 5. After that, a lot of plugins were disabled because they were incompatible with the new version of firefox

Lanchester on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, here's what I'd do. I'd uninstall Reader 8 and install Adobe Reader 9. Especially since you have Acrobat 9. As Lanch said, your older 8 may not work with FF5 anymore.

JustinSane07 on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah firefox's new updates have caused other stability issues as well and they have disabled many plug ins that causes crashes or bugs. You should check the add-ons tab under tools to make sure it is actually installed and enabled. What version of windows are you using?

As a temporary solution, download the pdfs and use adobe or a third party reader.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd say don't bother with Adobe's Readers. Use Foxit Reader. More secure, and I've noticed it's tons faster. Adobe's bloated piece of crap software can DIAF, as far as I'm concerned. It works fine in Firefox 5, as I'm using it now.

L Ron Howard on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had this problem in the past.

I ended up fixing it by reinstalling Firefox.

Not terribly fond of the 'Fox, but in any case, I think that would address your problem.

Synthesis on
  • runethomasrunethomas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Depending on which version of adobe you have, open adobe, click edit, click preferences, go to internet, and un check "display pdf in browser". This is a temp fix until you can figure out why its not opening.

check to see if it's doing it in IE,
    remove all adobe products and reinstall,
    make sure you don't have more than 1 version of adobe installed.

runethomas on
    edited June 2011
    i do have a version of reader, and one of acrobat (writer) running. should i get rid of the reader, and just use writer for everything? i seem to remember this causing a problem a long time ago...

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited June 2011
    got rid of reader, but i need Acrobat 9.0 for work stuff. I downloaded foxit reader and it installed the plugins, but still nothing comes up when i click a pdf link.

IE works fine with pdfs

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited June 2011
    AHA! i had some plugin PDF Reader that i guess doesn't work anymore. Once i got rid of that, Foxit works fine.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd say don't bother with Adobe's Readers. Use Foxit Reader. More secure, and I've noticed it's tons faster. Adobe's bloated piece of crap software can DIAF, as far as I'm concerned. It works fine in Firefox 5, as I'm using it now.

Thanks for this suggestion. I've been having issues with pdf files in FF also so gonna try this.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg