As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ICO Fans - a new game you might like

strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
No, it's not from Ueda, but it still has some promise. Check out this game called "Capucine" from some French student devs. I pulled the description from Kotaku:
Kotaku wrote:
This game takes place in a fantastic universe where everything is dead. The player controls a child who holds a "capucine". This flower enables her to survive in this desolated world. The little girl can hand on her own life to the surroundings thanks to a beam of light she can cast from her hand. To maintain life, water will be vital. However, the player must be careful not to animate the shadows of the surrounding elements. Indeed, animated shadows will try to steal the flower in order to prevent the child from accomplishing her destiny: revive the World.

Beams of light? Shadow monsters? It all sounds like fans of ICO might like it, but watch the trailer and see for yourself.

That being said, ICO just had something about it and I'll be waiting for "Capucine" to see it includes it's own something.

Official Capucine Site

strike_the_trip on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really need to finish ICO...

edit: Urg, that's Uggo, it looks like an ICO fangame. The animation is terrible, and alot of the textures are dreamcast-esque.

LewieP on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really need to find Ico. Where I live it's like the rarest game ever. It's the only game I desperately seek and can never find.

This game looks pretty decent, there wasn't anything in the trailer that I found amazing or anything, but the core gameplay looks interesting.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i dont wanna say she looks exactly like yorda, but...

Houk the Namebringer on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yup, I'm keeping my eye this one.

Site

Darlan on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Looks interesting - the gameplay and the use of light look really well done - they definately need to work on the main character animations though.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

edit: Urg, that's Uggo, it looks like an ICO fangame. The animation is terrible, and alot of the textures are dreamcast-esque.

Well, it is on the Wii. </flamebait>

Rook on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It is pretty damn ugly. :|

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited June 2007
    It's probably pretty damn early, too.

Darlan on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rook wrote: »

Well, it is on the Wii. </flamebait>

Actually, that's apparently footage of the prototype PC version. ;-)

Frem on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That trailer made it look "fast." I think perhaps that's just how the player was playing it, though. I hope so.

I liked that in Ico you could set your own pace. Unless those stupid black ghost guys were there, you could just relax. Explore. Experience.

I think that if you clean up the animations and make sure the game is self-paced for the most part, it will be good.

Honestly, though, I'm not as impressed by the art. Ico managed to be stunningly beautiful as a first-gen (?) PS2 game on a CD. Given a Wii, they should be able to do better, but perhaps that all comes down to art direction and quality, not technology.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
    edited June 2007
    schmads wrote: »
    Ico managed to be stunningly beautiful as a first-gen (?)
    it started out on PSone

It looked remarkably close to finished too.

LewieP on
    edited June 2007
    Honestly, I'm just happy to see a promising looking Wii game that isn't a sequel, remake, or port. The hardware promises all of this innovation, let's get cracking on new stuff already!

Darlan on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It looks beautiful.

Not the graphics, which look shitty, but the game itself seems like a really beautiful thing, you know what I mean? Like after playing it I'll be all warm and tingly inside.

I call it Shadow of the Colossus syndrome, which just goes to show that this might as well be Ico 1.5

Greeper on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    It looks like it's on the Second Life engine.

Just sayin'.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    While the graphics don't exactly look stunning, they're well within the bounds of what I consider "good enough." Especially considering that this is still probably very early in development.

Now, here's hoping this thing makes it out of France.

Speed Racer on
  • CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Animation could definitely use some work, as has been stated. The girl looks as if she's walking way too quickly for the pace her legs are actually moving.

Otherwise, though, it seems like it could contain some really fun and interesting game mechanics. I especially dug the segment where the player created a bridge by drawing the leaves together.

Crapfestival on
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I saw this earlier on SA and for concept, my jaw cratered the floor. The idea is so unique and excellent and I can't wait to play it. The graphics actually don't look so much "bad" to me as they do uneven. Some of that stuff is obviously normal-mapped; others are almost PS1 era. This is obviously "working demo" level stuff here.

But then, check the website.
    Capucine is a project of the students of Supinfogame, developed on PC and thought for the Nintendo Wii.

It's a student game right now and they're probably looking for investment. I imagine their budget right now, if it exists, is tiny. Once they get some investment I bet they can make the Wii sing a bit.

I really hope this comes out, it looks promising as hell. :D

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The premise sounds a lot like Momo (when the time has stopped and she has a one-hour flower that protects her from petrification).

[edit] Wow, that really does look terrible. I mean, okay, we know it's an alpha, but you don't show such stuff to the public. There's a reason everyone's teasers for games +year from release are smoke and mirrors, it's because half the stuff hasn't been implemented yet. Although if they're still looking for funding they don't really have much choice I suppose.

Glal on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would say that some work on the animations and some texture work is really all it would take to make me buy into it more. Considering it's student work I'd wager that they are using some free/premade textures for the backdrops and they look like what I'd expect from an N64 game. A bit of money thrown their way would likely do wonders.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think comparing this to Ico is an insult to Ico.

The art direction looks just bad. I know it's alpha, but the art direction is one of the first things that bleed through. The direction of this is just.. uhg.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I really need to find Ico. Where I live it's like the rarest game ever. It's the only game I desperately seek and can never find.

Man, what?

http://product.half.ebay.com/ICO_W0QQprZ5233QQtgZinfo

You can get it for $20 right now if you really wanted it and have it shipped to you.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously, guys.

mario64_3.jpg

Graphics stopped being anything other than gravy right about here.

Speed Racer on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm intrigued.

Also, I think it's pretty.

japan on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously, this game looks amazing. You have no idea how long I've been waiting for game that makes good use of the Wii controller, like pointing a flash light at things to make them grow or something. This is innovation.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I loved the feel of playing ICO, but I thought it was pretty lacking in actual gameplay. Nothing was particularly difficult. The ambiance and the scenery and the overall experience was definitely very enjoyable, I just wish it offered more of a challenge.

TheCanMan on
    edited June 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

Man, what?

You can get it for $20 right now if you really wanted it and have it shipped to you.

I've never been a fan of ebay. When I say it's impossible to find, I mean in actual stores. I haven't seen it on store shelves for years.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Man, what?

I've never been a fan of ebay. When I say it's impossible to find, I mean in actual stores. I haven't seen it on store shelves for years.

Your definition of impossible is severely lacking... Buy it! Go on!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2007
    But I am but a child with no credit card and evil parents who do not believe in internet transactions!

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    what i liked about Ico and SOTC were how stark and open everywhere looked and felt (not that i've completed either, but that's how it seemed). That video just doesn't look like that kind of thing. I'll wait and see what the real team have up their sleeves first.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Man, what?

Your definition of impossible is severely lacking... Buy it! Go on!

Yeah man, plus it's Half.com which means there is no bidding involved, just hit the buy button and they'll send it to you.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously, guys.

That looks like it's all kinds of covered in gravy to me. Too much work into graphics imho.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I loved the feel of playing ICO, but I thought it was pretty lacking in actual gameplay. Nothing was particularly difficult. The ambiance and the scenery and the overall experience was definitely very enjoyable, I just wish it offered more of a challenge.

Well, it was a puzzle game with fighting sequences for, uhm... added tension.

Other than the final couple battles though, the shadow creatures didn't seem anything more than an annoyance.

SOTC is more challenging and more of an "epic" feel.

DarkPrimus on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    That game is ugly beyond belief, but the gameplay mechanics look promising.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited June 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Seriously, guys.

That looks like it's all kinds of covered in gravy to me. Too much work into graphics imho.

You make 3D any worse than that, and it starts to literally hurt your eyes. Well, mine anyway. I've got a real tough time playing the original Starfox.

Speed Racer on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Man, what?

I finally found it a few months ago at a rental place. $10 too!

DigDug2000 on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    I saw this earlier on SA and for concept, my jaw cratered the floor. The idea is so unique and excellent and I can't wait to play it. The graphics actually don't look so much "bad" to me as they do uneven. Some of that stuff is obviously normal-mapped; others are almost PS1 era. This is obviously "working demo" level stuff here.

But then, check the website.
    Capucine is a project of the students of Supinfogame, developed on PC and thought for the Nintendo Wii.

It's a student game right now and they're probably looking for investment. I imagine their budget right now, if it exists, is tiny. Once they get some investment I bet they can make the Wii sing a bit.

I really hope this comes out, it looks promising as hell. :D

So what you're saying is it's kinda like Sadness (cool concept, no mainstream support) except that the concept came from people who might actually be capable of making enough to create a proof-of-concept demo to gain publisher support?

I like the concept, but I don't want to get my hopes up over another cool sounding title that has no chance of ever getting released at retail.

JihadJesus on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Seriously, guys.

You make 3D any worse than that, and it starts to literally hurt your eyes. Well, mine anyway. I've got a real tough time playing the original Starfox.
    Wait you were being serious?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Absolutely, 100%. While improved graphics are always welcome, I will never complain about a game's graphics unless they're worse than Mario 64, because Mario 64 graphics are adequate. IMO, of course.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2007
    Absolutely, 100%. While improved graphics are always welcome, I will never complain about a game's graphics unless they're worse than Mario 64, because Mario 64 graphics are adequate. IMO, of course.

When I said it was ugly, I very much meant from a design/artistic standpoint.

It wouldn't matter so much, but the reason ICO and games like it are so great is because they are so beautiful. ICO's gameplay is really nothing special, but it's just so beautiful I could just walk around the castle all day.

LewieP on
    edited June 2007

When I said it was ugly, I very much meant from a design/artistic standpoint.

It wouldn't matter so much, but the reason ICO and games like it are so great is because they are so beautiful. ICO's gameplay is really nothing special, but it's just so beautiful I could just walk around the castle all day.

Now that's a different matter entirely. Based on the teaser, I'm lukewarm about the art/design/whatever you want to call it. Some shots looked amazing, while others seemed strange and out of place.

Speed Racer on