As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One Fish, Two Fish, Dead Fish, New Fish [CHAT]!

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These dead fish in the chat title are making me depressed... or maybe it's just my depressants.

Prospicience on
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These dead fish in the chat title are making me depressed... or maybe it's just my depressants.
    The new fish is the dead fish, it's a phoenix thing. Tada!

Red Raevyn on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I tried to find an imagehosting site to upload a draw'd I did this morning before work, and silly network blocks all the ones I'm familiar with.

But I am draw'd stuff

ninjai on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    Do you know what is awesome?
    When people in your history class say, in regards to the Armenian genocide, "They should just get over it and move on."
    Oh wait, no, not awesome. Fucking despicable. Yeah, that's it.

While we're getting over things, the Jews should get over the Holocaust and black people should get over that whole slavery thing. I mean, it's been over for a while. What's the big deal?

I think what needs to happen with regard to the slavery thing, is that people need to realize not every black person is descended from slavery. The guy in the office next door, a marine Capt gets pissed, like "why the fuck do they think I want a hand out?" etc.

I guess not every single black american is a descendant of enslaved black people, but the overwhelming majority are. I'd be really really surprised if any less than 90% of black americans have ancestors who were enslaved.

edit: one "don't" made that a weird statement

Tam on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Even if you happen to descend from the slaves of the south, you probably originate from some culture, that was at one point, raped by Europeans.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    yeah also that
    Belgium alone...
    Jesus Christ

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arrggh dammit photoshop why won't you allow tween rotations? I don't want to do this shit frame by frame.

Mustang on
    edited June 2011
    isn't there free animation software that lets you do that?
    surely there must be.

Tam on
    edited June 2011
    I....don't....know. Though free software is usually garbage these days. After 2 hours of installing and uninstalling rubbish software and getting crudded up with spyware, I'll find exactly the thing I want.
    It will let me do everything I want, except when I come to save my file it will demand 29.95 of my dollars or it's no dice on the saving.

*sigh* I remember a time when freeware was free and it didn't act like a 1920's mafia racketeer.

Mustang on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaaaah, dammit food is so delicious...so hard to intentionally eat a deficit to lose dem fats while exercising....aaaaah

On the plus side though, I'm hella-pants motivated!! And intend for motivation to continue

also seeing progress is sweeeeeeeet

NightDragon on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Even if you happen to descend from the slaves of the south, you probably originate from some culture, that was at one point, raped by Europeans.

White people pretty much ruin everything.

As far as the whole "get over it" thing, I feel that if some guy came up to me and felt that he was entitled to some sort of apology for "my" ancestors bullshit(regardless of their views or involvement in the American slave trade), I would just laugh in his face. I understand that all these dark times in our history are terrible things and we should ensure that they are not repeated, but the phrase "get over it" might be appropriate in this case.

The only case where it's slightly different is the whole Armenian genocide thing, because basically nobody apologized. And you know what? That's pretty fucked up, regardless of who's responsible. I wouldn't expect someone to "get over it" when justice hasn't been served.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited June 2011
    I don't think anyone's asking modern descendants for an apology here
    the statement that Europe fucked Africa over is just plain fact

Tam on
    edited June 2011
    Just realized how little I know about the Armenian genocide, not really something they teach you in high school.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    learning about the Reconstruction and subsequent eras in American history will make you want to pull your hair out

and hate Rutherford B Hayes for a while until you realize any presidential candidate likely to be elected at that time probably would have ended Reconstruction and in so doing destroyed the first civil rights movement

Tam on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011

This is the best motivator! I'm remiss that I didn't take a "before" photo of myself when I started getting in better shape.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited June 2011
    Gaaaah, dammit food is so delicious...so hard to intentionally eat a deficit to lose dem fats while exercising....aaaaah

On the plus side though, I'm hella-pants motivated!! And intend for motivation to continue

"You can do side bends or sit-ups.

But please don't lose that butt."

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I think I've ran over 50 miles in the last month or so? I weigh less than 200 lbs for the first time in 4 years. Thats awesome. I hadn't realized how much weight I've lost until I started going through old photos.

ninjai on
    edited June 2011

Whose own governments, incidentally, raped and murdered their own countries, were raped and murdered by viking clans, saxons, germans, romans, and before that the greek, before that the egyptians, not to mention the mongolians.

I don't think, as seig put it, white people are to blame. I think evil people, or evil rulers, or even traditions/habits as ancient as civilization are to blame.

The fact of the matter is that while 90% (Tams statistic) may be descendent from slaves, there is still 50% (as long as we're generalizing) of the United States population that are decended from european/asian immagrents starting during the industrial revolution, Who... y'know moved here AFTER slavery had been abolished?

I honestly think those looking for reparations are fighting a lost cause. My ascestors moved to the US in 1927, and I'm at most 1/10 of a single culture. So to me, its a wash.

As for the genocide, what the fuck. I thought humanity was too mature for that bull shit.

ninjai on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    No, turns out, it is white people to blame.

edited June 2011
    Correction: white males are to blame, particularly the wealthy ones. They're the worst.
    Also I suspect that the giraffe's were in on it. Think about it, how many giraffes found themselves on slave ships? Not one! They think they're so smart. Well I'm on to their little game.

Mustang on
    edited June 2011
    African American segregation is really recent history, which is why its not a "wash" for folks. My mother was alive when there were black and white water fountains, its not like everyone is dead and we are prancing about in the era of nobodies racist, lets just forgive and forget. This is not ancient history.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    Racism is still alive and kicking in most places, it's actually getting a lot worse in Australia, probably the worst since the government removed aboriginal children from their mothers to live with white families. Which was really only 1950's-60's, the same time as the civil rights movement I think, maybe a bit before.

The terrorism shitstorm scared the crap out of everyone here, which in turn made them suspicious of everyone who didn't look and talk like crocodile dundee. Most Australians will spout the most horribly racist diatribe if you get them started on the subject of immigration. It's really not cool, but our government has done nothing to calm people the fuck down, if anything they do their best to stimulate the hate.

Mustang on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just realized how little I know about the Armenian genocide, not really something they teach you in high school.

If you were local, Iruka, I'd lend you my copy of Bluebeard, by Vonnegut. It goes into as much detail about it as Slaughterhouse-Five does the firebombing of Dresden, but it's a good start wrapped in a good book about art (if you're into that sort of thing).

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • NamNam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No, turns out, it is white people to blame.

fuckin whitey

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited June 2011

If you were local, Iruka, I'd lend you my copy of Bluebeard, by Vonnegut. It goes into as much detail about it as Slaughterhouse-Five does the firebombing of Dresden, but it's a good start wrapped in a good book about art (if you're into that sort of thing).

I need to read something, so I'll look into it. I'll have to chat up my sister too, shes a history buff.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    White people are pretty much to blame for everything, let's be honest. Gosh durn Eurocentric society!

Iruka, I completely understand what you mean by the segregation struggle and everything. It is still recent and racism definitely still exists in America today, and it's terrible. To be honest, the whole "say sorry for slavery" scenario is just as ridiculous to imagine actually happening as it is a ridiculous argument. That was one of the examples used earlier and I thought I'd illustrate the point.

I fucking hate racism and I have to deal with it one way or another pretty much every day. A lot of it is subtle stuff and undertones, but it's there. I've rarely been on the "receiving end" of any sort of racial tension, but the worst is just the way people don't know how to act and when to stop. People tend to be either very nervous about race issues and are afraid to say anything lest they offend anyone(and yet are the same people that clutch their purse in elevators or roll up their windows when someone pulls up in the lane next to them), or the total opposite and run they're mouth saying the most asshole shit because they think it's just being funny. I get that Dave Chappelle had a funny skit about racial stereotypes okay? That doesn't mean it's okay to open the floodgates and make overdone jokes about fried chicken and grape drank.

Also, The Boondocks is the best show. The best.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited June 2011
    I respect the guy who makes boondocks, but that show actually really depresses me.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    The D&D Western Animation thread really depresses me.

• JusticePunkJusticePunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JusticePunk on
    lololololo.
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Basically every civilization has had slaves in their past. Europeans had african slaves (whom were prisoners and slaves of african tribes). Middle-easterners had white slaves, Incans had slaves from other tribes too etc... Who became slave and who became slaver was merely a matter of what civilization was the most advanced and most dynamic.
    The thing about the armenian genocide though, is that they still wont admit it was a genocide and have never apologized and that's bullshit. They keep arguing that "oooh it wasn't a genocide we just kicked them out of their houses (and raped some and shot some) and transported them into the desert and said 'continue that way and don't return', now that's not genocide"

m3nace on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssqBjaTzOU

I know nothing about the Armenian Genocide either, gonna learn some more. Also the Boondocks, never watched it.

Flay on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I can see the recent history thing. It hurts my brain sometimes thinking about history in terms of eras.

So if we're living in an age when the last of the WWII vets are dying, my dad lived in an age where the last Civil War vets were dying, his dad in an age where there were remnants of the French-Indian war... jeesus, that stuff really wasn't all that long ago! That means Jules Verne, Victor Hugo, Edgar Allen Poe etc, while it seems to us like they've always been there, didn't live all that long ago... wow.

ALso, bed time, planning on another 5 miles in the morning CANT WAIT! :P

ninjai on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I went on a tour of the art academy I'm planning to enrol at today and I am so damn excited. The actual enrolling process has been a pain in the butt though, I can't even do it in person, it seems.

Flay on
    edited June 2011
    I respect the guy who makes boondocks, but that show actually really depresses me.

I can respect that. Reality shows depress me for what I'm assuming is a similar reason.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think Boondocks is sort of depressing too. But it's very sharp and from that perspective, much like Chappelle show, serves as entertaining social commentary.

Guys i went on a date I think. But I think I ruined everything by facebook stalking.

PROX on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    PROX wrote: »
    Guys i went on a date I think. But I think I ruined everything by facebook stalking.

What did you do, specifically?

Grifter on
    edited June 2011
    The main, meaningful reason that the "Slavery ended 150 years ago, get over it" statement is such a load of horseshit is that it seems to imply that black people were then immediately granted the same opportunity and station in society as white people. What followed after the ratification of the 15th amendment in 1870 was a long period of brutal oppression (Reconstruction was ended and that scuttled the first civil rights movement) that only started to change with the enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Tam on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    This is pretty rad:

http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery

I guess this company made a camera that somehow captures all levels of focus simultaneously, and lets you determine the focus you want after the fact. Clicking on different areas of the pictures here refocuses them to that spot.

Given I'm going to guess that this is eventually going to cost way more than it's worth for the initial tech, but it's still neat. It'd be interesting to see if this eventually works its way into 3d video stuff, using sensors on your eyes so the image automagically refocuses on what your eyes are trying to focus on.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited June 2011
    This is pretty rad:

http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery

I guess this company made a camera that somehow captures all levels of focus simultaneously, and lets you determine the focus you want after the fact. Clicking on different areas of the pictures here refocuses them to that spot.

Given I'm going to guess that this is eventually going to cost way more than it's worth for the initial tech, but it's still neat. It'd be interesting to see if this eventually works its way into 3d video stuff, using sensors on your eyes so the image automagically refocuses on what your eyes are trying to focus on.

wowza

also, I am going to use 'automagically' now
    superb word

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.