As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name that Warcraft 3 mod

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Trying to remember the specific name of a Tower Defense mod for Warcraft 3.

The signature aspect of this Tower Defense was that in addition to building your own towers, you also had the ability to purchase enemies which would assault your live opponent using a town hall that was situated in an unreachable area.

It was NOT Element TD... and as far as I remember it was specifically a 1v1 game, not single player.

Jasconius on

• Options
    ink4n3ink4n3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like Line Tower Wars.

ink4n3 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, you're looking for some kind of Tower Wars.
    I know that doesn't really narrow it down much though, as tower wars games are almost as prevalent as DotA clones.

Any other details? Was it left vs right? Top v Bottom? Any particularly notable mobs you could send? Did you have peasants to collect resources to send mobs with?

see317 on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It was Top Versus Bottom, and, at least when I played it, it was a pretty simple map... not many corners or turns if any at all.

*edit*

I just googled some videos... yes it is definitely some flavor of Line Tower Wars...

Do any of you remember how the enemy spawning worked? I seem to remember just choosing enemies from a town hall, but I don't see that in any of the videos I found.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That sounds an awful lot like Hero Line Wars, except that Hero Line Wars has a hero instead of towers. You purchase large waves of monsters to spawn in your opponents' lane, and buying the monsters increased your income.

There were item shops behind the target area, and you had a building that could cast massive damage spells out of its mana for when your hero was overwhelmed.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    It was Top Versus Bottom, and, at least when I played it, it was a pretty simple map... not many corners or turns if any at all.

*edit*

I just googled some videos... yes it is definitely some flavor of Line Tower Wars...

Do any of you remember how the enemy spawning worked? I seem to remember just choosing enemies from a town hall, but I don't see that in any of the videos I found.

The one I played was top to bottom and enemies were spawned using a town hall. it was just simply Line Tower Wars, IIRC

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Potentially Speed Line Tower Wars. But Line Tower Wars had the same thing.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

*edit*

You chose monsters to spawn which in turn increased your income. You would get your income about every 30 seconds or so. So the more monsters you spawned, the higher your income was.

ink4n3 on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wintermaul Wars is the most popular variant of the Tower Wars / Competetive "maul" type map that I remember, but there were dozens of these with hundreds of versions, it's gonna be impossible for us to tell you exactly which map you were playing.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So you bought enemies to fight your OWN towers, not others?

For some reason I remember a more adversarial aspect to it. Where two players were lined up opposite of each other in the same lane.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In line tower wars you spawned creeps who went to the guy next to you. You built towers to protect the guy on your lefts creeps from reaching the end of your lane. Every time a creep reached the end of your lane you lost a life. If you got a creep past the guy on your rights lane, you won a life.

Edit: The trick was finding that balance of spawning enough creeps to gain income and gain lives and still spend enough money building towers so you didn't lose lives and die. The more creeps you spawned, the more income you had, however you had to still protect your own lane.

ink4n3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And if the person next to you killed the creatures you spawned you got money?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No you raised your income every 30 seconds for spawning creatures. You got money from your own income every 30 seconds and from killing the creatures that were spawned into your lane and you killed.

ink4n3 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And if the person next to you killed the creatures you spawned you got money?

They got money for the creatures that they killed. But that's a one time pay out per creature.
    For every creature you spawned you're income value would go up. The income would be paid out every 30 seconds giving you a wad of currency to spend on either more towers or sending more monsters.

see317 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Wintermaul Wars is the most popular variant of the Tower Wars / Competetive "maul" type map that I remember, but there were dozens of these with hundreds of versions, it's gonna be impossible for us to tell you exactly which map you were playing.

WINTERMAUL! That's the one I played. Dunno about Jas but that sounds like it might be it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png