As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX Dinner 2011 - *SOLD OUT!!!!*

beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
Let's just get this out of the way: You want to come to the Pre-PAX Dinner. All the cool kids are doing it and don't you wanna be a cool kid? Of course you do. So, just go ahead and dig through your pockets, pull up couch cushions, go to the street and beg if you have to. You need $17 and you need to be 21+.

Why!?

Tickets are now SOLD OUT!!!
YOU CAN NO LONGER REGISTER HERE!!!!

http://prepaxdinner2011.eventbrite.com

HOWEVER!!!

You may want to check out the *POST* PAX Party, which will also be totally bitchin'.
Post-PAX Party Info can be found here. Contact Arco for more info!!

All of the information you need to make your decision is at that link. Act quickly though, as we have only 120 spots available for the Pre-PAX Dinner this year. Due to limited space, there will be *no* attendee only tickets.

The What: The Pre-PAX Dinner 2011 Edition

The Where: Barca Vodka Bar and Lounge - The Mezzanine (located on beautiful Capitol Hill)

The When: Thursday, Aug. 25th, 6:00pm - 8:00pm

As always, I am charging the very least amount I can. I am making absolutely zero money off of this, the dollar amount associated is meant to allow us to break even. Any extra money will go directly to Child's Play.

I just finished talking with our caterer, Chef By Requests' Patrick Fagan, and we just completed the menu!! Do you want to know what kind of delicious foods you could be sampling if you join us at the Pre-PAX Dinner!? Of course you do, you silly goose (goose is not one of them)! Try these on for size:

DELICIOUS MENU OPTIONS

Pulled Pork - Meat Group (or as I will be referring to you: Ol' Dirty Swines)
Smokey BBQ pork shoulder, served with potato rolls and pineapple cole slaw.

Stuffed Chicken Florentine - Poultry Group (Delicious Chocobo-y Goodness!!)
Chicken breasts filled with spinach & cheese, topped with chablis mushroom sauce.

Baked Tortellini - Veggie Group (Pasta POWER!!!)
Three cheese tortellini baked in roasted garlic marinara & topped with still more cheese.

All dishes come with a side of:
Mixed Greens Salad
Organic lettuces & local vegetables, served with local vegetables, herb vinaigrette & cucumber-wasabi dressings.

I don't know about any of you, but these all look pretty damn good to me and I'm really excited.
So, there we have it. Your food options for the Pre-PAX Dinner. All very different, all very good and all for YOU!!!

Now, you may be asking yourself "Self...this sounds rad, but how much might one pay for something of this nature? A Pre-PAX Dinner? What is the cost of this fine product!??" , in answer to your question...give me a few hours to finish out the numbers. I can tell you all this though: We are going to be $20 or LESS.

WHAT!? You read that right!! < $20!!!

You may also ask yourself "Self, where would a Pre-PAX Dinner be located?" Well, yourself, I will tell you.

We will be commandeering the mezzanine at one of my favorite bars in Seattle,Barca! Yes, this means the Pre-PAX Dinner is 21+ so for all of you all-agers, I am sorry. For the rest of you, this means that you will be able to buy booze at the Dinner (no, we will not be providing a drink with your ticket)!

We will have the entire mezzanine of Barca all to ourselves, with our very own bartender providing you with soda and water (Those are included in your ticket) as well as a server who will take alcoholic drink orders (Those are NOT included in your ticket. You pay for your own drinks).

Tickets will be on sale very soon, at the latest, by the end of the day tomorrow. I hope to have them going in short order here.

I hope you're all as excited as I am!!

UPDATE

Alright everybody, here's the deal.

I've talked to lots of different venues in an attempt to make the Pre-PAX Dinner the best I can. There are a lot of factors that go into setting something like this up and I've run out of both time and options. I have a lot of different things to consider when I choose a venue and while I've tried to please everybody, it's just not possible. Honestly, this is the best I could do.

For the past 2 weeks, I've had 2 venues that were still in the running from both a price and location perspective. One of them wants to charge a good chunk of money. This goes directly towards ticket prices, which means more expensive. The other doesn't want to charge nearly as much, which means cheaper prices. Based on discussions I've had with both venues, space wise for food and drink and how they're willing to work with me, the one that happens to be less expensive is most certainly the winner (for numerous reasons, the inexpensiveness seems to be a perk right now). HOWEVER, there are 2 problems with the venue and they're both problems I tried very hard to resolve, but frankly, I couldn't.

1) Age restriction. For the first time, the Pre-PAX Dinner will NOT be all ages. It will have to be 21+. I am incredibly disappointed in this, but both the owner and I spoke with the WA State Liquor Board and they will not bend in any way. There aren't any loopholes we could find...it is what it is. For all of you non-21+...I sincerely apologize. I did not set out to put an age-limit on the dinner, I put in a lot of effort to find a neutral place to have the Dinner that wouldn't be exorbitantly expensive and I met with quite a bit of difficulty (to make this clear, I even spoke to the venue from last year and they wanted nothing to do with us. We were very cordial, cleaned up after ourselves and left the place looking exactly as we found it, but we're not 'classy' enough for them.)

2) Wheelchair accessibility. Last year, some of you might remember, it was an issue. I had said that in the future, I would make it a priority and I did. It was actually the #1 thing on my list, but as it turns out...a lot of places aren't as wheelchair friendly as you'd think. Now, that's not to say anybody in a wheelchair can't come...they absolutely can as this venue has 2 floors HOWEVER, the top floor is where most things will be happening, I believe. Now, unlike last year, it's not a huge flight of stairs, but there are stairs and there's no way up without them. I am, honestly, very, very sorry for this. Again, I tried my best, but for the location, the price and what the venue was willing to work with me on...it was the right place to have the Dinner.

So, those are the big issues. I'm not thrilled about either even having to be mentioned, but I want to make everybody aware of these things. I've already had some questions and comments about this and I assure you that I really did try, guys. I want to make sure the Pre-PAX Dinner is a lot of fun, that it's a great experience for everybody and that everybody who wants to attend can. Unfortunately, not everybody who wants to attend can, this year and it saddens me.

Bottom line is this: Putting on a dinner of this size (anywhere between 100 - 200 people) is difficult, especially in trying to make things work for the various other events (most noticeably the TWDT in the case of the dinner). I have gone over everything we could to figure out the best way to make the Pre-PAX Dinner happen in 2011 and this is the end result.

The Pre-PAX Dinner is for *YOU*. I don't gain anything by trying to get this Dinner off the ground and planned out, other than the joy of meeting fellow PAXers. So I leave it in your hands. At this point, I'm gauging interest. Are either of these (or both) issues deal-breakers for you?

I need to get ticket sales going by the end of this week if you guys want the Dinner to occur.

So, I says to Mabel I says, "The Pre-PAX Dinner for PAX Prime should get a thread!"

Here is that thread.

I have been hard at work for the past few weeks in getting the Pre-PAX Dinner off the ground. There have been trials and tribulations, there have been arguments and hugs and there have been, most certainly, tears and laughter. While I have very little news to provide you with right now, I wanted to at least let you wonderful PAXers know that there is still hope for a Pre-PAX Dinner and if things continue to fall into place, I will have more information for everybody very soon.

In the event the Pre-PAX Dinner DOES happen, I'm going to send a call out for volunteers, much like last year. I will need help with a variety of things, I'm certain, but what exactly that entails I have no clue as of yet.

Some basic information I do have is this:

~ I have a caterer. He's a damn good one too and makes amazing food (I've had a variety of his dishes and they're *all* great). We will have 3 entree options, 1 being vegetarian.
~ Pricing is looking to be on-par with last year (between $25 and $30), but I won't have that nailed down until a few other things fall into place.
~ I have a few venues that are contention. If any of them work out, tickets will go on-sale as soon as possible (which I'm hoping will be in the next 2 weeks or so).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask (this does not include what the entrees will be and/or what the venues are...when I have things defined, I will make sure to post about them.)
I look forward to Dinnering with you all again. Last year was good, but this year is going to be a LOT better.

This thread has been brought to you by the letters "P" "P" and "D" and the numbers "2" "0" "1" and "1".

UEAKCrash wrote:
BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
EvilBadman wrote:
Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
TF2 Hatpack
beta_angel on

• Options
    pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there a 21+ age restriction on this event? If not I would love something like this! Seeing how I can't go to the post pax party being only 20 :/ This would be perfect!

pillarofdawn on
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah here it is! I thought I had somehow missed this thread this year. Either that or it wasn't happening...

Didn't get the chance to go last year but I am coming down a day earlier so I'll be able to come! Just a question though... will this interfere with the pub crawl?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's good to see the thread up. I can't wait to go as the dinner has been great every year.

Serenity: This hasn't interferred with the pubcrawl in the past. In fact the houses meet up at the end of the night before going to the pub crawl. Last year the dinner was even close enough for almost everyone to walk.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    blaqueiceblaqueice Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looking forward to this as well since I missed out last year. I'll keep my eyes open for the ticket sales. :shock:

blaqueice on
  • Options
    bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There is nothing that can stop me from attending. Oh and they tried last year, a f*$king Lexus ran me over and I still made it there. They're going to have to try harder this year. The Lexus scratched my button though... sad days.

bitterfun on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bitterfun wrote: »
    last year, a f*$king Lexus ran me over

lol wut

Also, glad to see this is still happening. I was starting to worry yesterday lol. I'm sure my team and I will plan on attending, as usual.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Questions require Answers so here they are:

1) On age restriction: Absolutely NO age restriction. All ages are welcome to the Pre-PAX Dinner!

2) On pub crawl: Absolutely not. In fact, the Pre-PAX dinner is a great start to the Pub Crawl as it will take place on the Hill, should be within walking distance of any starting bar (I assume) and will put food in your belly so that you can get all drank!

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I didn't make it to the Pre-Pax Dinner last year however that shall be rectified this year and there will be much rejoicing.

Yay.

I'll be the guy who's dressed vaguely like Hunter S. Thompson only in a green and silver motif. ^_^ (Yeah, that's totes happening everyone brace yourselves.)

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I didn't make it to the Pre-Pax Dinner last year however that shall be rectified this year and there will be much rejoicing.

Yay.

I'll be the guy who's dressed vaguely like Hunter S. Thompson only in a green and silver motif. ^_^ (Yeah, that's totes happening everyone brace yourselves.)

Sir! You can't park here!

In other news:
    I want to volunteer. I have 4 years of PAX dinner volunteering experience. You NEED me!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks beta, I was wondering when this thread would go up. You are super cool for organizing this and I will most likely be there.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah, the PPD. I enjoyed it a lot last year. Good food, good music, and good people!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you need any help with check-in at the door this year, do let me know. I promise I'll be able to get there on time this time. :P

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Need more info!

Mostly I would like to know how I could reserve three spots at the dinner and how this dinner thing has been done in the past. I have never gone before but saw the forum for this too late last year.

How many people normally go to this out of curiosity?

Other than that I would like to know the simple things that I imagine will be posted here later like time, place, and cost. I will be a good forumer though and check back into this later.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Arwen: Last year he directed us to a link where you can choose how many people you are bringing and choose which meal you wanted. You also paid using that link as well. I'm sure when Beta finds the venue and all that jazz, he will have more info. I'm so excited!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think GamingGoddess hit this right on the head, but I'll respond anyhow.
    Need more info!

Ok!
    Mostly I would like to know how I could reserve three spots at the dinner and how this dinner thing has been done in the past. I have never gone before but saw the forum for this too late last year.

There will be a website which will allow you to purchase however many tickets you need, choosing which meal option you'd like and providing you with directions to the venue. You will need a paypal account (I am looking into other payment options, but I guarantee nothing)

This is generally how it's been done in the past, as well.
    How many people normally go to this out of curiosity?

Between 100 - 150.
    Other than that I would like to know the simple things that I imagine will be posted here later like time, place, and cost. I will be a good forumer though and check back into this later.

All of this is tenative, but it should be:

Thursday, Aug 25th from 6:00 - 8:00 at *VENUE STILL TO BE DECIDED*
    Ticket prices will be between $25 - $30.

:)

Another Update:

I've spoken to my caterer and have gotten everything locked down with him. Dinner is going to be delicious no matter which meal option you choose. I hope to have the venue locked down by this weekend and then ticket sales up next week.

We will have a cap on how many attendees can come, I believe it will be 130...I'm still working all that out, but do be aware that there will be a limited number of tickets available.

Now, I just need to start working on the Pre-PAX Dinner buttons...oi.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Glad to see this is going to happen again this year. Looking forward to some good foodening.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Got some potentially *awesome* news yesterday. I'll be finalizing next week and if things go as planned, everybody is going to be really goddamn happy.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The anticipation is too much! Geeee!

GamingGoddess on
  • Options
    DylaNWGDylaNWG Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm super-interested in attending this. :o

DylaNWG on
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hope this doesn't fill up too quick. I've got a group of 8 that may be interested (I know that I, at least, would like to attend again), but they're very last minute people, so I'll cross my fingers that they can manage to plan ahead on this.

lemongrenades on
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Meat Group! Oh, sorry, that was premature...

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    For anybody who is photoshop and inclined to help with arts, please send me a PM. Last year, Gal_Friday (iirc her nick correctly) helped out and the buttons were bitchin'.

I have no artistic ability and would love some assistance.

Your friend,

Me.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Now what will people say about you if you do something inappropriate with meat before ba? You would have to be savage to do something like that. (Of course we do know that the meat group is where all the action is.)

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    iguyiguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This will be my fifth pax and I have never gone to one of these pre-pax events, perhaps this will be the year, I await further details.

iguy on
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cronus wrote: »

Now what will people say about you if you do something inappropriate with meat before ba? You would have to be savage to do something like that. (Of course we do know that the meat group is where all the action is.)

All the cool kids eat meat, as you very well know Cronus :p

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    News:

I'm going to update the OP soon, but I thought I'd bring you some more info now while I have a minute.

Unfortunately, it's looking like we've got a big choice ahead of us. We either go 21+ or we don't go.

Now, I'm very excited about the Pre-PAX Dinner and think it's going to be one of the best ones yet, the unfortunate thing is that the dinner has always been open to everybody. This year, however, due to time constraints, money constraints and trying to make the very best dinner possible...some things had to change.

I believe the cost per guest is going to be amazing (cheaper than I originally thought) and the venue is one of my favorite places in Seattle. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, it's a 21+ establishment and we've gone over every available option and there are no loopholes that allow under 21.

I have done the very best I could do with the best intentions for everybody. I'm deeply sorry that this event can't be all ages, but I've run out of options and this is the final result.

The food will be great, the company will be phenomenal, the venue will be sweet and the price will be right...I truly hope you all are ready for a great dinner.

I know I am.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    We all know you have done (and so exceedingly more) all that you can do about the situation. I have faith that even this unfortunate hiccup; it will be a totally rad dinner hootenanny.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks CaptainTapole. I really put a lot of effort into this and it is very frustrating to me that the end result isn't what I wanted it to be.

I'm really very sorry to all the Under-21ers who wanted to attend.

For the rest of you, I should have ticketing info up by the end of the week.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have already told my kids that we will have different plans this year due to this and they are cool with it. Don't beat yourself up over this, it happens. Now, if you were to tell me the pub crawl is canceled then I would have a serious issue.....lol.

Rayman on
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ..and shouldnt your question marks in your sig be changed to exclamation points!?!?

Rayman on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Guess I'll try in two years :'(

GamingGoddess on
  • Options
    JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have never been to the PPE and plan on going this year.

Jeppy on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Count me in!

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll be attending this again! Wife may, but I think it depends on where it is exactly.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As usual I will plan on attending and bringing my team along with me. See you guys there!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Really looking forward to this!

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    blaqueiceblaqueice Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I volunteer to carry the handi-capable up the stairs if need be. :)

blaqueice on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That's very nice of you blaqueice.

It sounds like interest is still pretty high and that this should go on, yes?

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll definitely be there. I'll see how many of Team Rock Lobster I can get to show up.

bitterfun on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think it should still occur, despite the setbacks. Not every Pre-Pax event is going to be perfect (especially with it being volunteer and community driven). I know you and the other people who help get this going every year try to include anybody and everybody. There is always next year to iron out hiccups.

Also, thanks for undertaking this on dude, I'd imagine it's not easy.

That_Spoony_Bard on