As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Email on my own domain (godaddy based)

initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
Ok so I figured out my problem after a call to customer support. It was actually a lot simpler than I thought. There's 1 email included with each domain and that stays free all year. The options that cost more where for additional email addresses. Also he told me how to login to the email without going through their site and my account on it.
I just picked up a domain for my personal portfolio site and it let's me set up a personal email based on that domain. So instead of john@gmail.com I can have john@johnsmith.com with my personalized name@domain.

First thing is, I assume this was free (this is through godaddy). I saw during the checkout there was an option to add email but it was for 5 addresses and it cost ~$2/month. This option i found was in "my account" -> "my products" -> "free products" and the one option was "email account list" saying I had 1 credit next to it. clicking that link takes me to a page that says

Free email addresses for "domain".com
Email - Personal (1GB Total/1Box) (recurring)

It's the recurring part that makes me wonder if a month from now they'll start charging me for it. I'm going through the site but I can't figure out if that'll happen that way or not.

The second option is how do I set this up to be usable? Is there a program that lets me access it like outlook? Or do I have to use their webmail service?

initiatefailure on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My personal recommendation is to use Google Apps for Domains

It's free for the first...10 or so email accounts (which is actual, real email inboxes; you can set up an unlimited number of aliases for a single account or use throwaway [whatever]@yourdomain.com addresses that would be routed to a single inbox)

here's a guide, and during config it'll even tell you what to do specifically since GoDaddy is your registrar

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-quickly-easily-get-set-up-on-google-apps/

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I use google apps as well, it's amazing.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    It's free for the first...10 or so email accounts (which is actual, real email inboxes; you can set up an unlimited number of aliases for a single account or use throwaway [whatever]@yourdomain.com addresses that would be routed to a single inbox)

I think it's 50 these days with the free variant, actually. I don't think I have anything unusual going on with mine.
    It is a very nice service, though.

Linden on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmm. Could have sworn I received an email from Google that they were changing the number of free users on a domain, but that existing accounts would get to keep their current upper limit.

Ahaha, found it
    As of May 10, any organization that signs up for a new account will be required to use the paid Google Apps for Business product in order to create more than 10 users. We honor our commitment to all existing customers and will allow you to add more than 10 users to your account for dancatchpole.com at no additional charge, based on the limit in place when you joined us.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I use google apps as well, it's amazing.

I just switched a few weeks ago. I got tired of having me@mydomain forward stuff to my Gmail account and then have Gmail fake send headers from me@mydomain, and wanted to set it up properly.

Echo on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm using Google Apps as well with my domain as my Droid was giving me fits properly syncing e-mail with my regular domain e-mail. Doing it through Google makes that run much, much smoother. Plus now I've got ready to go calendar etc. functionality. Highly recommend it (was pretty easy to setup as well).

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, using Google Sync with iOS & Android is aces. Syncs all my Google Apps stuff with my phone and iPad, including all of my Gmail contacts so I never have to worry about losing them if I ever have to restore/replace my gadgets.

Not sure if I'll even bother moving anything to iCloud since everything hums along so nicely already. I've set up GApps on at least two domains and it's always been a breeze.

edit: also, that article I linked to is about four years old; a lot of the complaints in the comments have been resolved/clarified as Google has rolled out those features and functions to both Google account and Google Apps for Domain accounts.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Hmm. Could have sworn I received an email from Google that they were changing the number of free users on a domain, but that existing accounts would get to keep their current upper limit.

Ahaha, found it

I stand corrected! And probably should have remembered that.

Linden on