As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW][Chat] 4.2 today! And there was much rejoicing.

• Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can only get up to honored on trash I think. Everything above that is bosses only

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So uh, friends were telling me guilds have already cleared normal modes in Firelands

If that's the case I'm prettty disappointed
    You're disappointed that the catass guilds that had been farming this content on the PTR for weeks were capable of farming it on live? What else did you expect to happen?

forty on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Why? People were able to test them in the PTR so they knew everything ahead of time.

Also who cares what OTHER people are doing?

How fast was Naxx and Ulduar cleared? Yea, less than 24 hours also. ToC and ICC would have been also if they weren't gated. Hell, Paragon was 8/12 the second day of the Expansion, the SECOND DAY. They had to level up, and spam Heroics to get the gear, and killed 8 Raid Bosses in less than 48 hours.

I want to air my only grievance with this patch so far. Orc Females were supposed to get new haircuts. I was excited to change to a punkish femhawke. The very first thing I did when I logged in was go to the Barber. :( They didn't put my Hairstyles in..

Edit: LOL, I checked the Official General Discussion forum. All of the Orc Females I see pissed about our hairstyles not being in are currently using the same hair and color as I am. Hivemind.

Buddies on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mostly what they did was walk into naxx in sunwell gear.

We did that too, that first week. I think we killed a couple bosses.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Ryoloth or whatever his name is is a super gimmicky fight. Not a big fan.

Got him to 40% within an hour though so once the dps figures out their right from their left we'll have it.

Shannox being immune to taunt seems borderline broken.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So uh, friends were telling me guilds have already cleared normal modes in Firelands

If that's the case I'm prettty disappointed
    You're disappointed that the catass guilds that had been farming this content on the PTR for weeks were capable of farming it on live? What else did you expect to happen?

Pretty much this. I'd be willing to bet a tidy sum of cash that the guilds the blew through it last night -

a) had T11HC on farm for quite awhile and were all pretty much 372 ilvl
    b) had put the time in on the PTR.

Considering the T12 Normal modes are tuned for a 358 ilvl to be capable of doing them, the concept of guilds blowing through them the first night was fairly foreseeable.

Arryn on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does the spear throw provide enough time for the tanks to reset their debuffs, or does one of them just have to out-threat the other one?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2011
    We didn't even attempt Shannox last night, but we killed enough trash to see him off on his patrol.

So where are you "supposed" to fight him? Does he have a clear area where his boss icon is on the map? Do you just pull him wherever you feel like when he patrols by? The whole "patrolling boss" gimmick seems incredibly annoying.

Also, a whole new raid tier plus a lot of Firelands-oriented discussion means we should probably revive the raiding thread, so as not to get the chat thread too cross-focused.

forty on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We didn't even attempt Shannox last night, but we killed enough trash to see him off on his patrol.

So where are you "supposed" to fight him? Does he have a clear area where his boss icon is on the map? Do you just pull him wherever you feel like when he patrols by? The whole "patrolling boss" gimmick seems incredibly annoying.

Also, a whole new raid tier plus a lot of Firelands-oriented discussion means we should probably revive the raiding thread, so as not to get the chat thread too cross-focused.

We fought him in a cleared out area near the bottom of the ramp you come down from the portal. Don't need a huge area.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

We pulled the entire left side area where the ramp goes up to the spider boss and pulled him there. Nice open area with only surgers and a giant and a dog i think. We were able to reclear it after respawn in a matter of 20 minutes.

In terms of how your supposed to do the fight I will know more after tonight but we just had too much of a problem with tank swaps. What usually happened was OT was able to get shannox but not the dog for another span of time which meant my stacks were getting refreshed while his were getting going. It didnt work out very well. Being not tauntable lead me to believe that tank swapping was not the intention of the fight. When was the last time they did a non tauntable tank swap fight? Its been a long time. Especially two non tauntable mobs.

What we are going to try tonight is OT the dog and burning down the other dog. We then use traps to trap the dog and distance to try to reset the stacks. Get shannox to 35 and dog to 5 and do the burn.

Jubal77 on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Apparently Tankspot says that each dead dog provides a 30% frenzy? I dunno.

The strat that seems like it'd work the best is one tank on shannox one on the dog. Tank dog near ice thingy so that the dog runs into it when he throws the spear. Then let that reset the stacks. OT calls a switch to the other dog until the debuff resets, then spread dps again.

maybe I'm over thinking about it.

belligerent on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah there are two things on the shannox fight I can see them fixing, the taunt immunity and how the dog will attack people in the crystal trap even though you can't heal them.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Apparently Tankspot says that each dead dog provides a 30% frenzy? I dunno.

The strat that seems like it'd work the best is one tank on shannox one on the dog. Tank dog near ice thingy so that the dog runs into it when he throws the spear. Then let that reset the stacks. OT calls a switch to the other dog until the debuff resets, then spread dps again.

maybe I'm over thinking about it.

The dog is slowable too every 25 sec or so.

Jubal77 on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess my memory was kinda messed up cause I kept thinking that it was the normals we were seeing coverage on mmo for awhile and not the heroics for T11

Oghulk on
    edited June 2011
    So the changes to CC and aggro are 12 different flavors of awesome.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Eh. In some ways it's kinda annoying, we used to be able to CC one mob at the far end of range and the other ones as they came in; now that's not doable, and mobs end up spread out a lot more than they used to, which can cause problems if the CC ends up breaking.

Salvation122 on
    edited June 2011

Eh. In some ways it's kinda annoying, we used to be able to CC one mob at the far end of range and the other ones as they came in; now that's not doable, and mobs end up spread out a lot more than they used to, which can cause problems if the CC ends up breaking.

Sorry but the changes are just all kinds of awesome.... Being able to root, trap, etc etc and pull... well it made those 5-6 pulls in firelands easymode.

Jubal77 on
    edited June 2011
    You can still do that

just cc one > pull > cc the rest

of course, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to just cc them all pre-pull

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2011

We fought him in a cleared out area near the bottom of the ramp you come down from the portal. Don't need a huge area.
    Ugh. I don't like the idea of having a boss where trash can respawn on you during the fight. Or one where you have to wait for him to patrol his ass over while everyone is ready to pull. At least Patchwerk and Grobbulus had relatively brief patrol paths. :/

forty on
    edited June 2011
    trash respawns are normally locked out while an encounter is in progress, so you don't need to worry about that

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2011

Ugh. I don't like the idea of having a boss where trash can respawn on you during the fight. Or one where you have to wait for him to patrol his ass over while everyone is ready to pull. At least Patchwerk and Grobbulus had relatively brief patrol paths. :/

Yeah it does suck. Sadly it is what we were given because he paths around the entire big circle on the map.

Jubal77 on
    edited June 2011
    trash respawns are normally locked out while an encounter is in progress, so you don't need to worry about that
    I was not aware of that. Still, I won't believe that it won't end up happening in Firelands until I see someone test or verify it, given how much shit is bugged or glitchy.

Oh, by the way. It turns out my facetious prediction that we still wouldn't have enough people show up to field a full raid yesterday came true. We never had more than 22-23 in the raid, so we just made some futile boss attempts before going back to farming/learning trash. Pretty disheartening, and my guild really gives off the impression of a dying game.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Sorry but the changes are just all kinds of awesome.... Being able to root, trap, etc etc and pull... well it made those 5-6 pulls in firelands easymode.
    Can you root without pulling? I thought I had read that when they first announced the CC changes, and that's why they removed the damage component from Entangling Roots, but people in my guild last night were arguing that roots would start a pull since they're not really like other CCs, and I started second guessing what I had thought. I mean there is the point that roots don't actually remove control from the target, unlike all the other CCs affected by this change.

Did anyone actually test and see if you could root a mob in a pack without the pack aggroing?

forty on
    edited June 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Can you root without pulling? I thought I had read that when they first announced the CC changes, and that's why they removed the damage component from Entangling Roots, but people in my guild last night were arguing that roots would start a pull since they're not really like other CCs, and I started second guessing what I had thought. I mean there is the point that roots don't actually remove control from the target, unlike all the other CCs affected by this change.

Did anyone actually test and see if you could root a mob in a pack without the pack aggroing?

We were using root last night on our pre pulls of some of the salamander guys and it worked great. It works better than sheep on some pulls because of those damn cc breaking mobs.

Jubal77 on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I had forgotten about the keyring changes. Yeah... I had to throw away like 6 keys or something because they were consuming all my bag space :(

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ahaha

all you guys complaining about shannox's patrolling might not want to look at the bucket list raid achievement

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Good thing I don't care about achievements!

Thanks, Jubal. I'll report back to the guild tonight that our druids should feel free to pre-root melee mobs on pulls. Not that they will. I will blame you for any disasters.

Did they buff the duration on roots or is still only 30 seconds?

forty on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    ahaha

all you guys complaining about shannox's patrolling might not want to look at the bucket list raid achievement

haha wow.

I also laughed when I saw the "Do a Barrel Roll!" achievement, the icon was what made it.

Nobody on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i have 700 valor points ... do i buy the relic, or do i save for something which provides more numerical gain? OH DEAR.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited June 2011
    Save. The relic is a pretty bad choice as far as stat gain/VP ratio goes. The exception would probably be if you're gaining a lot of ilevels, but you shouldn't be since you can just buy a 359 for 700 JP now.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    relic/wand is a good choice because you'll never replace it or get a comparable drop

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Good thing I don't care about achievements!

Thanks, Jubal. I'll report back to the guild tonight that our druids should feel free to pre-root melee mobs on pulls. Not that they will. I will blame you for any disasters.

Did they buff the duration on roots or is still only 30 seconds?

Feel free :) Its not real useful to use root on the first packs other than perhaps a pathfinder away from the other packs. We didnt use them on the patrolling packs just the stationary ones so hopefully it works on those too... it should though.

Jubal77 on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh.

There seems to be a small patch or something. I can only assume it's intended to fix the bug where I used to be able to play WoW. I start the launcher and get a short download, then try to log in and get the "version not recognized" error, then run the repair tool and repeat.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    edited June 2011
    relic/wand is a good choice because you'll never replace it or get a comparable drop

but i have the 359 relic so the net gain is ~20 strength or so and just about as much secondary stats

i'm thinking of saving for the gloves next week, the set bonuses for DKs look pretty attractive (+6% damage from obliterate? yes, give me that.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • HopsideHopside Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Being able to play WoW is a pretty nast bug for most of us it seems

Hopside on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    got my DK into a trial run with a progression raiding guild. i'm a little worried; i haven't done any cata raiding content, but they're going into firelands.

i guess it is a trial by fire. HAHAHAHA.

furthermore, according to wowhead, not a single one of the firelands bosses drops a dps strength 1h weapon; there are two agi daggers, two str 2hers, etc. is this blizzard's way of saying titan's grip/dw frost are not supposed to be viable anymore? or maybe there is another source for these kinds of weapons...

blacksmiths can make 367 str 1handers in a month

if your server is anything like mine they will cost at least 12k a piece.

On my server, Soul Blades still cost that much.

It's silly that all of the str 1hs are like, 13 ilvls below the rest of the stuff; seeing that there's a trash drop helps, though. i am less miserable. hit and mastery aren't the best stats a person could ask for, but hey.

I just spent 7k gold on a soul blade last night for my 84 warrior in preparation. I figure it'll be at least a month or two before I can make the one from the new dailies.

Wavechaser on
    edited June 2011

but i have the 359 relic so the net gain is ~20 strength or so and just about as much secondary stats

i'm thinking of saving for the gloves next week, the set bonuses for DKs look pretty attractive (+6% damage from obliterate? yes, give me that.)
    The 4-piece is pretty good for Frost. It's going to be meh for Unholy if it only applies to the physical portion of Scourge Strike, which for now I'm assuming it does. If it procs off both the physical and shadow parts of Scourge Strike, then it will be all right for Unholy as well.

forty on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    [I just spent 7k gold on a soul blade last night for my 84 warrior in preparation. I figure it'll be at least a month or two before I can make the one from the new dailies.

I hate you.

The lowest I have seen is 13000 gold. They usually sell(or are at least priced at) 20k gold.

Shawnasee on
    edited June 2011
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    [I just spent 7k gold on a soul blade last night for my 84 warrior in preparation. I figure it'll be at least a month or two before I can make the one from the new dailies.

I hate you.

The lowest I have seen is 13000 gold. They usually sell(or are at least priced at) 20k gold.

p. much.

the cheapest of the new 378 boe axes on the AH is like 45k here. people will relist stuff for months at prices that don't sell rather than lower them, for whatever reason (i make this judgement based on seeing the same people selling the same items all of the time)

INeedNoSalt on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shawnasee wrote: »

I hate you.

It was odd seeing it for that price. They are usually around that on this server. Two days ago I saw it for 8000 gold and I was tempted. Last night it was re-posted for 7,000 so I said "screw it" and just got it. Figured it'll last me a while and that's probably as cheap as I'll ever find one.

Hopefully now with all the new daily patterns and ZG/ZA epic drops, the price will fall. (maybe)

Wavechaser on
This discussion has been closed.