As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Armageddon Death Squad

• hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just throwing this out there: people have been infracted/had threads shut down/etc... for badmouthing other threads on the forum.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I agree that we should avoid a protracted convo on the subject and besides, it looks like a few of us are posting over there anyways...

hanskey on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yes i live in baltimore =p

Lame. Get back to, um, civilization and come to all the cool gigs.

Tav on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I think I'm going to get through the new Morbid Angel, but I do not think I will listen to it again. I don't actively hate it as much as everyone else seems to, but I don't have any love for it either. There are parts that I actively dislike. Also, the vocals are way too loud.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Well, I think I'm going to get through the new Morbid Angel, but I do not think I will listen to it again. I don't actively hate it as much as everyone else seems to, but I don't have any love for it either. There are parts that I actively dislike. Also, the vocals are way too loud.

I just gave up after a couple of tries. It's just shameful.

hanskey on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good afternoon Darkthrone Cat. Is it Lunch time?

No.

It's Darkthrone time.

Why yes, it is that time.

Mgcw on
    edited June 2011
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Good afternoon Darkthrone Cat. Is it Lunch time?

No.

It's Darkthrone time.

Why yes, it is that time.

Yes ... rinse the memory of the new Morbid Angel from my mind oh Darkthrone!!

hanskey on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rotam wrote: »
    I had no idea there was a new Pharaoh EP, new Hibria album as well?

Still playing catch up on the many things I've being missing out on. Anthrax, Slayer, Sepultura, Coroner, Vader, there's too much of shit to be listened to D:

Around 40 years worth, to be exact :lol:

I should have been born much earlier, it would've solved this whole problem. Thank you inconsiderate parents.
    I'mgoingtogolistentoLinkinPark.jpg

Rotam on
    edited June 2011
    I had no idea there was a new Pharaoh EP, new Hibria album as well?

Still playing catch up on the many things I've being missing out on. Anthrax, Slayer, Sepultura, Coroner, Vader, there's too much of shit to be listened to D:

Around 40 years worth, to be exact :lol:

I should have been born much earlier, it would've solved this whole problem. Thank you inconsiderate parents.

ImGonnaGoListenLinkinPark_500x500.jpg

Eh, age doesn't guarantee good taste!!

hanskey on
  • CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwUPWkqldrg
    Interested in hearing what else they have

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    French, band, netra, right?

They put out a full album last year I think. Kind of comparable to Lifelover or Apati with a lot more synths and techno/pop influences.

autothrall on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, Auto. Album is pretty enjoyable all around and I like the way the different styles are weaved together. Darker too.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    The track you posted made me want to track it down too Candlemass!

Nice and dark ...

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    I'm probably going to see Morbid Angel live this summer.

Meh.

Tav on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hopefully there are some good openers, or they know most fans would just want to hear old stuff.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2011
    Probably better off making a ritual blood sacrifice to the Great Horned One for some good openers, considering their public reaction to the wave of fan disappointment...

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Hopefully there are some good openers, or they know most fans would just want to hear old stuff.

Festival circuit. Other bands would be 1349, Primordial, Hell, Exodus, Hammerfall, Napalm Death, Motorhead and At The Gates.

Apparently their set has been mostly new stuff with a smattering of classics.

Tav on
    edited June 2011
  • NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    did anyone review the new Primordial? I feel very undermehhed by it.

NargorothRiP on
    edited June 2011
    autothrall wrote: »
    New Exhumed will be out this coming week. Bout time.

Tight!

hanskey on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Thank satan you're here. I thought I was the only one. Although, it's worth noting that Meta didn't like it either... He just doesn't post here anymore.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011

Thank satan you're here. I thought I was the only one. Although, it's worth noting that Meta didn't like it either... He just doesn't post here anymore.

Finally, listened to it: meh is right.

Also, since you know Meta, does he post anywhere else or is this Facebook knowledge?

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    hanskey wrote: »

Also, since you know Meta, does he post anywhere else or is this Facebook knowledge?

I'm not on Facebook. I talk to him through e-mail.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Personally I think it's great and holds up compared to the last two efforts. I'm glad to finally get to see them live this year. The DVD is fantastic.

Tav on
    edited June 2011

Cool, just curious. How are the Sludge reviews coming post-computer issues?

hanskey on
    edited June 2011

Ugh, I think I need to start working on new reviews and come back and do the ones that were finished at a later date. I'm pissed, though, because I wanted to get some Cult of Luna reviews up, because that band is the bee's knees, and I get the impression that many people have heard ISIS and Pelican, but not CoL.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08&feature=channel_video_title
    New Dream Theater song is more interesting so far than the last couple of albums.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2011
    I can't believe I had to find out about these dudes from the SE++ thread.

Yes morg, thread lacks kvlt ...

Seriously Heshers?!

Edit:
    Candlemass wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08&feature=channel_video_title
    New Dream Theater song is more interesting so far than the last couple of albums.

I checked that out a couple of days ago and I have to agree. Looking forward to the new album (sept, 13th)!

hanskey on
    edited June 2011

Ugh, I think I need to start working on new reviews and come back and do the ones that were finished at a later date. I'm pissed, though, because I wanted to get some Cult of Luna reviews up, because that band is the bee's knees, and I get the impression that many people have heard ISIS and Pelican, but not CoL.

That's my impression as well, because that description resembles me, since I haven't heard any Cult Of Luna.

Edit: I don't think I helped my scene points with this post ... but maybe you can bust out a quick recommend?

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Am I the only person that doesn't really care about Animals as Leaders? I've tried listening a few times but it seems like half-baked fusion jazz sequences brewed up with boring wankery. Remember in the 80s or early 90s when guitar gurus could actually WRITE memorable SOLOS when they wanted to show off? Keep the guitar clinics out my fucking metal. Thank you.

Oh yeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7kx9QUPkI

I like it. Sort of hearkens back to Quintessence or The Archaic Course, though the lyrical theme is obviously different.

autothrall on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Am I the only person that doesn't really care about Animals as Leaders? I've tried listening a few times but it seems like half-baked fusion jazz sequences brewed up with boring wankery. Remember in the 80s or early 90s when guitar gurus could actually WRITE memorable SOLOS when they wanted to show off? Keep the guitar clinics out my fucking metal. Thank you.

I agree 100%. I don't understand the appeal at all. There's nothing memorable there at all, just "Wow those guys sure know how to play their instruments."

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited June 2011
    Oh, I concur. They know how to play their instruments. Unfortunately, that same knowledge cannot be said for their songwriting abilities.

The whole thing reeks of "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO, PA! NO HANDS!"

Anyone got any groovy recommendations for modern stoner metal stuff?

In particular I'm looking for newer bands that channel the old 70s vibe. Think Ghost, Castle, Witchcraft and Graveyard as a control group.

autothrall on
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    +1 to not getting Animals as Leaders. I've tried to get into them on a few different occasions because it seems like something I should like considering my tastes, but I can barely get through a whole song without being bored to tears.

On the subject of instrumental metal, I've been really impressed with Scale the Summit lately:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzsoBv2nfX4
    Candlemass wrote:

Agreed. I'm so glad they dropped the whole 'badass' metal direction they were heading in.

Blakout on
    edited June 2011

That's my impression as well, because that description resembles me, since I haven't heard any Cult Of Luna.

Edit: I don't think I helped my scene points with this post ... but maybe you can bust out a quick recommend?

Salvation is my favorite Cult of Luna album.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, I concur. They know how to play their instruments. Unfortunately, that same knowledge cannot be said for their songwriting abilities.

The whole thing reeks of "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO, PA! NO HANDS!"

Anyone got any groovy recommendations for modern stoner metal stuff?

In particular I'm looking for newer bands that channel the old 70s vibe. Think Ghost, Castle, Witchcraft and Graveyard as a control group.

Orchid.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited June 2011

Oh yeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7kx9QUPkI

I like it. Sort of hearkens back to Quintessence or The Archaic Course, though the lyrical theme is obviously different.

Does he actually sing "OH YEA YEA" at the end of the chorus at one point?

Morgenstern on
    edited June 2011
    He does do all kinds of crazy shit at the end of several of the lines. Must be some residue left from his rock star days (Dimmu Borgir). He actually seems even screechier than on the 1997-2000 Borknagar albums, which I found mildly annoying.

That said, I like the song overall, especially the bridge sequence. Not great, but good. Hopefully there will be better on the album, though I doubt it'll be as serious as the old stuff.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check out Orchid. Been on a kick for this sort of thing lately.

autothrall on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like the music on that song but there's something about Vortex's vocals that irritate me. I really liked it when he did vocals with Dimmu however. I think it's because he broke up the monotony of Galder's boring riffing and Shagrath's underwhelming vocals. He just kind of loses his "specialness" when it's just him singing.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited June 2011
    Between the overproduced screeching vocals, the overbearing guitars and the bland drumming, I can't dig that shit. It's why I don't even enjoy Isahn.

Morgenstern on
    edited June 2011
    I have no issue at all with the guitars or the drums. I love the streaming feeling of the riffs, and there are plenty of nice little percussive fills in there, though they sound pretty soft on the Youtube video.

The multi-tracked vocals pinging off one another are certainly more grating here than on The Archaic Course, where they were smoother. His voice worked very well there, and when I saw the tour for that it was flawless. Actually, the whole band was amazing except for Oystein getting his hair caught in his guitar constantly because of the wind machine. But that's many years ago, before Vintersorg.

It's just one song. I'll wait for the whole album to decide.

On the subject of posting samples from new albums, here's one from the new Exhumed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEo-8407cPg

Nice energy and velocity with great burst riffs in there, but the breakdown seems weak. More Slaughtercult than Anatomy is Destiny, but not promising to be quite as good as either.

autothrall on
This discussion has been closed.