As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Eating cheap vegetarian?

summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend and I are considering making all our evening meals vegetarian, mostly because she wants to cut out red meat, and also because we both just really like vegetables and wouldn't mind them taking center stage. It's not for any ethical considerations, so if need be, we could throw in some chicken or seafood during the week, but mostly we're interested in what we can do with just vegetables.

Google's flooding me with tons of good ideas, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any good compendiums of vegetarian recipes - website or book. It would help if they were also very cheap to make but not at too big a sacrifice to quality. We try to stay at less than $100 a week for groceries, and would love to go under $10 a day if possible.

Even just posting a personal favorite recipe would be great, too!

summeryclept on

• spcmnspffspcmnspff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tofu Stirfry that I lived off for 3 years in Uni while being poor and vegetarian. I'm no longer poor or vegetarian, and I still make this about once a week. Like me, it's cheap, quick, and easy:

Ingredients:

Olive Oil
    Onions
    Peppers (green + red or green + yellow).
    Mushrooms
    Spinach
    Tofu (firm)
    Soy sauce.

What to do:

- Heat oil in a pan/wok (turn the dial somewhere just past the middle...)
    - Add chopped up onions (every recipe should start like this). Let them simmer a bit.
    - Add tofu that's been cut up into cubes...about the size of a 2 x 2 Lego block (make them bigger if you want).
    - Pour on some soy sauce.
    - Add strips of chopped up peppers
    - Add mushrooms.
    - Mix, stir, toss if you dare.
    - Add lots of spinach leaves. The spinach will eventually shrink and almost disappear. But don't worry, it's still there...and it's yummy and healthy.

I'd say anywhere from 7-13 minutes since adding the tofu. I've never actually timed it, but just pick at the ingredients until you feel it's ready. Ideally, the tofu should be golden brown and the peppers should still be crisp. You don't want everything getting too soggy.

spcmnspff on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Make the normal meal you would make for dinner and then just throw away the good parts.

Tada, vegetarian dinner.

Not a good way to make sure you're getting all the nutritional value you need.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Vegetariantimes.com and every Moosewood cookbook ever are good starting points.

radroadkill on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Perfect Vegetables.

Not just a cookbook, but an approach to vegetables.

oldsak on