As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LTTP] Suikoden

SimBenSimBen Hodor?Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
WHY HAS NO ONE FORCED ME TO SIT DOWN AND PLAY THAT GAME YET.

Suikoden 1, yes, the first one. I decided to get into the series, and just started yesterday.

It's so full of crispy, sweet, soft-centered old-school goodness it brings tears to my eyes (tears of joy, olol). This is the way RPGs were when I grew up, and by god I miss those days. I'm almost glad the series went straight over my head until now, because I can appreciate it so much better now that all RPG plots have devolved into cliché FF7 clones. I want epic, political, sweeping-scale wars in my RPGs, not spiky-haired kids saving the world from wannabe god-figures.

Playing Suikoden is like playing FF6 for the first time all over again. I haven't played an RPG well past bedtime just out of a drive to see what happens next since... well, since Chrono Trigger. Zelda doesn't count.

It was hard to just turn off the TV in the middle of a cut-scene this morning to come into work. Can't wait to get back home. I can start building my castle and recruiting my army! Yessssss.

This is the kind of game that defines why the 16-bit era was the golden age of gaming. It's not even part of that generation, but it came out early enough in the PS1's lifetime to pretty much be considered part of it (one could argue that the golden age ended with Mario 64 and FF7). It's got everything the best SNES games had. Just awesome.

I should get into FFXII sometime, too. Apparently, lots of people love it especially because it finally breaks the FF7 mold and goes for grander political intrigue, which I love.

sig.gif
SimBen on

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden is good, Suikoden II is a little better imo (and not nearly as short).

I really wish they'd give us the PSP ports, because I'd love to play Suiko 1 and 2 again, but the cost is just absurd.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden is good, Suikoden II is a little better imo (and not nearly as short).

I really wish they'd give us the PSP ports, because I'd love to play Suiko 1 and 2 again, but the cost is just absurd.

I'm lucky enough to have a cousin who got both 1 and 2 in great condition and for cheap, from a guy who wanted to sell them at the store she works at. She wisely just paid him the same amount the store would've paid for each, out of her own pocket.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also, I want to point out how satisfying it is to have a game be so forthcoming about its oedipal subtext. No Star Wars reveal here, no wtf-my-dad-is-a-cat-from-the-future, no, it's clear as day right at the beginning, the game WILL end in a climactic showdown with your dad. I can't wait for that.

It'll be like wtf I leave you the house for a week and you start a revolutionary army, next time I'm hiring a babysitter.

Awesome.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden and Vandal Hearts were the first games I got with my Playstation back in... 97? 98 maybe.

I saw Suikoden Tactics in a used game store recently. Anyone have an opinion on that game? Suikoden 4 kind of burned me so I'm wary.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    suikoden 1 is good. suikoden 2 is fabulous.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    suikoden 1 is good. suikoden 2 is fabulous.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden and Vandal Hearts were the first games I got with my Playstation back in... 97? 98 maybe.

I saw Suikoden Tactics in a used game store recently. Anyone have an opinion on that game? Suikoden 4 kind of burned me so I'm wary.

Bit different of a SRPG and somewhat more interesting then 4 which it is a prequal of but its still not really worth bothering with unless you want to see more of the Suikoden 4 characters and timeline.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really wish the Suikoden 1/2 pack for the PSP would be released in English. I'd buy a PSP for those alone. I know I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed the first one more. The second one had more potential, and is probably better overall, but the translation was just so shit it really hurt the experience. That, and it was buggy as hell. If they re-released it with a proper translation I'd be fucking elated.

They're all great, though. Even 4, although it is the worst one by far, it does have its fair amount of kick ass. I really should get around to completing 5.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden 2 is considered, by many of its fans, as the best game; nay, the best piece of entertainment ever crafted by human hands.

Suikoden 5 is really good too. Do yourself a favor and don't play 4, though.

Edit:
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I really wish the Suikoden 1/2 pack for the PSP would be released in English. I'd buy a PSP for those alone.

A real Suikoden fan would learn a foreign language to play them on a PSP.

/me learned Japanese, bought a PSP, went to Japan, and bought the cartridge

Bremen on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've sadly only played Suikoden 3-5. 4 is clearly the worst one, but I still liked it. Suikoden 5 is probably my favorite PS2 game.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speaking of Vandal Hearts, can we please get another one of those along with the Suiko 1 + 2 PSP titles? Hell, I'd settle for PSP port of the first one.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't listen to the naysayers about Suikoden III. It's very underrated, and easily my favorite of the series.

The battle system is tough to get used to at first, but it should click eventually.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speaking of Vandal Hearts, can we please get another one of those along with the Suiko 1 + 2 PSP titles? Hell, I'd settle for PSP port of the first one.

Supposedly there's gonna be a Vandal Hearts DS; I dont believe there's any information on if its gonna be a port or a all new title.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    YES! This was my first game when I bought a PS1 almost 10 years ago. I had no idea what it was when I bought it, but I ended up loving it to death. Yes, the plot is somewhat (extremely) cliched at some points, but it actually has some interesting points, and I LOVE the large-scale battle system. They did a really good job of making it seem epic.

Also, it is an awesome part in the game when your dad comes back:
    Pahn!!!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Don't listen to the naysayers about Suikoden III. It's very underrated, and easily my favorite of the series.

The battle system is tough to get used to at first, but it should click eventually.

No one said anything about 3. 4 is the one we all hate.

And 3 will always have a special place in my heart if for no other reason then the castle theatre. Nothing spices up a dry play like casting Viki in a starring role.

Bremen on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden 5 is fantastic... the game felt like what suikoden 3 should have been (1 great, 2 amazing, 3 was not bad, 4 was awful)

JeffH on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I loved Suikoden 3. I even replayed it fairly recently (Juan ruined the final boss). The only real "problem" with the game is it's battle system, which is fine once you are used to it.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I get to head back home in 2 minutes.

I just killed the Zombie Dragon. I had to stop while Mathiu's saying "good job on your new castle lol". It's like, just on the verge of gaining +8 to awesomeness.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JeffH wrote: »
    Suikoden 5 is fantastic... the game felt like what suikoden 3 should have been (1 great, 2 amazing, 3 was not bad, 4 was awful)

I enjoyed this, but my interest did wane a bit and I didn't finish it.
    After
    having fled the castle when the queen is killed, and after getting the river-town's leader to officially help you, is the plot going to kick up a notch soon?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden 1 is short but ever so sweet. Every year I run through both 1 and 2 in sequence. If OP is digging on 1, get your hands on 2. It'll be a messy love fest.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ironically I dug up a bunch of my old PS1 games yesterday to scratch the retro itch....Suikoden 1 was among them. I never got the second one, since when it first came out I hadn't finished the first yet, and I have been regretting that mistake ever since. But I will be replaying 1 in the near future!

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    1 and 2 should really be treated as one full experience. I'd even go as far as saying if you lack the ability to play one, don't play the other. They really should be played one after another.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    JeffH wrote: »

I enjoyed this, but my interest did wane a bit and I didn't finish it.
    After
    having fled the castle when the queen is killed, and after getting the river-town's leader to officially help you, is the plot going to kick up a notch soon?

That's like 10% into the game IIRC. 5 is the longest one of them, I think.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DominusDominus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just wish we could see Viktor and Flik again. Viktor kicked all kinds of ass. I also want to know more about Pesmerga.

Dominus on
    Currently playing: Skyrim, Super Mario 3D Land
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden is my favorite game series ever.

There is no other series,no matter what genre, that has me captured like this one.

The Suikoden theme? I can hum the entire thing.
    I think about it on a daily basis!

Suikoden 1 is a really great game and with Suikoden 2 has the best RPG ever created (and that is a fact) as a sequel.

Suikoden 3 is a good RPG also and definitely has the Suikoden flair.

Suikoden 4 is OK. Or maybe meh. Or maybe "I would play it if it costs like 10$"

Suikoden 5 is above Suikoden 1 and right underneath Suikoden 2. It really got back to the roots and is so long,with so many twists and battles and characters, it just feels like a WORLD.

Speaking of world, there number one reason why I love this series is the coherent plot and the re-occuring characters. Or the links to characters of old. It just feels SO good to know that the guy you just got into your party? He will fight in 2 more wars in the future. And you already saw those wars. And you know,he will be a BADASS.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dominus wrote: »
    I just wish we could see Kreutz again.
    Fixed for the showdown between Kreutz and Humphrey, I hope.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Are there any rumors of a sixth one yet?

Cherrn on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    Suikoden is my favorite game series ever.

There is no other series,no matter what genre, that has me captured like this one.

The Suikoden theme? I can hum the entire thing.
    I think about it on a daily basis!

Suikoden 1 is a really great game and with Suikoden 2 has the best RPG ever created (and that is a fact) as a sequel.

Suikoden 3 is a good RPG also and definitely has the Suikoden flair.

Suikoden 4 is OK. Or maybe meh. Or maybe "I would play it if it costs like 10$"

Suikoden 5 is above Suikoden 1 and right underneath Suikoden 2. It really got back to the roots and is so long,with so many twists and battles and characters, it just feels like a WORLD.

Speaking of world, there number one reason why I love this series is the coherent plot and the re-occuring characters. Or the links to characters of old. It just feels SO good to know that the guy you just got into your party? He will fight in 2 more wars in the future. And you already saw those wars. And you know,he will be a BADASS.

I'm not sure why, but I just <3 the history/story of the True Runes as well.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I get flak every time I say it, but...One is good, Two is better, Three is amazing, Four is good (Equal to one), Five is bad.

We need more Suikoden III love.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This might get me a lot of flak, but I want to finish Suikoden II just so I can play III.

If only Luca would stop slowing me down.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I bought Suikoden 1 at blockbuster years ago, and didn't really care for it. I liked the concept, but not the story itself. The main character was boring, as were all the people he hung out with except Ted at the start. Eventually you start getting a few cool people, but I was still kind of disappointed with the game.

I still picked up Suikoden III, after a bit of trouble getting my hands on it. I loved Suikoden III(as you can probably tell by my username), bought IV V and Tactics when they came out(Tactics and V are still in their shrinkwrap though as I have been kind of buying games and not playing as much as I used to).

I need to just trudge through IV one of these weeks, so I can get to enjoying tactics and V.

Geddoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    This might get me a lot of flak, but I want to finish Suikoden II just so I can play III.

Did you get Humphrey and Oulan?

Or at least a Fire Sealing Rune?

Luca isn't nearly as difficult as people make him out to be, once you realize that the first two teams don't matter at all.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What the hell does LTTP mean? and why do I keep seeing threads with it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Late to the Party. It's basically "Hey, let's talk about this old game that I just found out about"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »

No, which is why I think I'm screwed. I decided to do their quest later on, and it turns out the game won't let me go back there now.

Not that I know of.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Late to the Party. It's basically "Hey, let's talk about this old game that I just found out about"

Oh ok, I was thinking "link to the past" like the game, and it sorta made sense, but not really.

Thanks.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Also, it stands for "Link to the Past" which annoys me because I can't not see it every time.

Anyway, I still haven't finished Suikoden V. I bought it when it came out, and played about half way through. Then, I don't know, I just stopped. I actually haven't been able to play all the way through a game I've started for about 6 months now. My backlog is so huge at the moment. But so far, I'd definitely put Suikoden V as my second favorite in the series, just below II.

kitch on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is a really great series. Suikoden V is probably my favorite, though I think the game is a little too long. IV is still the oddball; it's just so average it makes the other games feel that much better.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am so gay for Flik.

Suikoden I & II are two of the best RPGs I have ever played. I have not enjoyed a Suikoden game since II. I managed to finish III but IV turned me off almost immediately. I plan on picking V up someday but after the previous two shitfests I'm in no rush.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

No, which is why I think I'm screwed. I decided to do their quest later on, and it turns out the game won't let me go back there now.
    Not that I know of.

If you were wanting to get all 108 stars, you're SOL, because by the time you can go back to Humphrey and Futch, the cutoff point has already happened.

Anyway, go get Oulan (I'm pretty sure you can now). Just take a party of women to...that one port town near your castle. There should be a couple guys hanging out that'll start up a scene where you get her. If there aren't, but you can get into the town, there should be an old lady wandering around somewhere talking about a group of guys that attack women. And, uh, make sure your party is really all women (except the main guy). Sometimes it's hard to tell. Tuta, for example? Is a boy.

The reason you want Oulan is because she is a TANK. All of Luca's attacks should do about 1-10 damage on her, and she deals out excellent damage.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png