As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

AlegisAlegis ImpeckableRegistered User regular
googleplus_logo.png

What is it:
GoogleBook, or MyGoogle or Googlester - Google+ is Google's attempt to control more of your data provide more social networking opportunities show more ads in your face to people worldwide.

It's still closed beta but they've revealed a bunch of vids on their approach and there's a list you can sign to find out if you ever get an invite.

Interactive fancy demo + "PUT ME ON THE INVITE LIST, DAMN IT!"-link
http://www.google.com/intl/en/+/demo/

How to Import FB contacts via a middleservice

How to post to a FB status from google+

There's an exploit to invite people into google+ by adding their e-mail to a circle and then send a message to that circle. Seems to work sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't. Results may vary.

If you got android, check out the google+ client in market.

google+: DESIRES AND HOPES: INCARNATE

So google seems to have learned from the Buzz disaster and try to flaunt with a system with a simple interface and easier limited sharing options. Google already owns your data anyways. Why not trust them? It's perfect!
You can probably expect good mobile support.

ars technica's take on the project

In this thread we pray to the Google Gods to send out invitations

List of people you can add to your PA circle and share your deepest secrets with:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=144504

┻━┻ ~ ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Alegis on

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is the third attempt at social network type stuff from Google isn't it?

But we had buzz (twitter) and google wave (very slow email and/or facebook groups). Was there something before Wave? I think there was.

In short: I don't know what the problem is that google are trying to fix. And I think this is why their products don't succeed in this sphere.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I like the look of the Huddle group messaging feature. It's such a pain sending texts to a large amount of people and having replies that only you can see.

Also, the circle feature for refining things down is something Facebook has been missing from the start. Every complaint I hear about Facebook revolves around people not posting anything because they don't want X family member, Y co-worker or Z dog to see it.

Something that's designed from the ground-up with that in mind can only be a good thing.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if the main thing they are marketing is better privacy controls, don't think it's going to go to well for them because cool people don't care about privacy. And you can't win social networking without cool people.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the problem google is trying to fix is that they want some of that advertising cookie space

Although limited sharing is present in FB (friend groups, select privacy option when sharing something) seems better integrated in google+ and we can likely count on them to be more clear with the different privacy settings this time.

Alegis on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Be it better or not, I just think FaceBook has won the weight of numbers war that means it can never be ousted.

Generalising here, but your Mum already has a Facebook. She isn't going to be signing up to another service any time soon.

If FB has any sense they'll just wholesale steal all the good interface ideas Google come up with.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    But we had buzz (twitter) and google wave (very slow email and/or facebook groups). Was there something before Wave? I think there was.
    I had to look it up, orkut and google Knol for a 'sort of social wiki'

never really got off the ground

Alegis on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Put me on the list for any PA invites.

theSquid on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This looks awesome and I want in ASAP.

I actually signed up at this link: https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googleplusenuk/

and now Im worried thats a fake since it doesnt match the invite request thingy above.

But since it only asked my name and e-mail, and I use the two step authentication, I dont think they can do anything anyways.

Either way - I never have joined Facebook. I want in on this. This looks taylored to what I want.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    This looks awesome and I want in ASAP.

I actually signed up at this link: https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googleplusenuk/

and now Im worried thats a fake since it doesnt match the invite request thingy above.

But since it only asked my name and e-mail, and I use the two step authentication, I dont think they can do anything anyways.

Either way - I never have joined Facebook. I want in on this. This looks taylored to what I want.

It's https with the google domain name. I'm pretty sure its just as authentic.

theSquid on
    edited June 2011
    the certificate from services.google.com matches so it's most likely not fake.

Alegis on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awesome!

In that case I have signed up twice.

So hopefully I get an invite in double the speed!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    This is the third attempt at social network type stuff from Google isn't it?

In short: I don't know what the problem is that google are trying to fix. And I think this is why their products don't succeed in this sphere.

Their earlier one is still around, is big in some countries (Brazil in particular), but is one they purchased instead of developing in-house - Orkut.

As far as what Google+ is fixing, I think the answer is "privacy." I'm in the closed beta and while it's hard to judge with so few people that I actually know using it, it seems to have gotten the concept of having a fluid manner in which you show some things to some people and not to others down pat. You can define any number of "circles" which overlap with one another in any manner you deep appropriate, and anytime you share something in your stream (links, photos, comments, whatever), you choose which circles/people can have access to it. Additionally, it errs on the side of privacy instead of public - for example, unlike Facebook, you can designate who's actually allowed to tag you in pictures, and you can require authorization before the tag appears. And you can make it so only certain circles can see the tags and...well, you get the point.

I think that some of the names (Sparks in particular seems...off) could use some tweaking, they need to introduce some shortcuts for "common" behavior (for example, there's no method to 'private message' someone from their profile - you have to go to your stream and make a comment that only they can see), and it completely lacks any sort of bulletin board system on a person's profile which I think is something they'll need to fix in order to not drive people away who really enjoy that feature of Facebook (perhaps something which defaults to the profile owner either authorizing posts before they appear or permitting certain circles to post with impunity).

I haven't been able to poke around with some of the features due to lack of friends with webcams and such, so I can't comment on them. I question whether I'll use some of the features, but for the core product, it's basically.....well, it's Facebook minus all the distasteful things about Facebook that have been bugging me with all their privacy updates (and you can save photos from it!), plus the idle paranoia that Google knows everything about me.

e: Oh, and this is also a competitor for Twitter, by the by. One of the default circles is "Following" - you can add people to circles without them adding you, and if you have them in your Following circle, you'll see stuff in their Public stream in your feed. It's rather seamless.

Jragghen on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like Google, but I'm not interested in social networking in this sense. I kind of liked Wave or Buzz as they seemed like they could be different, but if it is a product aimed at matching or replicating FB, then I am not interested. If I was, I'd sign up to FB.

I guess I could try for Beta to see what the attraction is though and the demo does look pretty slick though, so kudos there.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Better privacy controls (circles) + no annoying spam from facebook apps has me interested in this.

I don't think it will necessarily be a hard sale, but they won't kill FB quickly, if at all.

Tomanta on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I like Google, but I'm not interested in social networking in this sense. I kind of liked Wave or Buzz as they seemed like they could be different, but if it is a product aimed at matching or replicating FB, then I am not interested. If I was, I'd sign up to FB.

I guess I could try for Beta to see what the attraction is though and the demo does look pretty slick though, so kudos there.

googleplus.png

In some respects, I think I'd be a lot happier if this just muddles along rather than actually becomes successful.

Rook on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Be it better or not, I just think FaceBook has won the weight of numbers war that means it can never be ousted.

Generalising here, but your Mum already has a Facebook. She isn't going to be signing up to another service any time soon.

If FB has any sense they'll just wholesale steal all the good interface ideas Google come up with.

This is actually facebooks big weakness right now, yes your mum has a facebook account that she logs into once a month however do kids really want to be on the same networks as their parents and uncles sharing all their drunk photos there. Facebook won't fall from being beaten, it will fall from being too big.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If FB was still for students and not a clever ad-distribution method, able to target millions of people worldwide... I would still use FB.

I have a hard time seeing a social network being anything else going forward, whatever UI you put on it. I liked the idea to start with, but for some reason it didn't stick.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited June 2011
    I can verify that invites are going out to people who weren't specifically invited by google employees now.

My sister just got an account.

Jragghen on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Color me very interested in this. I would love a social network with better privacy controls.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A friend's mom was talking about how she disliked Facebook's all or nothing means of posting and following updates.

Google+'s Circles is pretty cool and seems like a nice solution to that. I'll give it a spin.

Abracadaniel on
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Really looking forward to getting in on this. I hear users are getting invites to hand out, so hopefully we'll start seeing those trickle into the various forums around the web.

I am so keyed into google for the other services they offer that it will be nice to keep it all under one roof. The only thing I am not so hot on is the new black Nav bar at the top of all the pages. Would much rather have it white, but that is such a small issue...

Jollus on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, invites are in place and are going out, but....well, you know. Real name, Internet people I don't really know, etc.

Hopefully it'll filter around soon enough.

Jragghen on
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Should we try to bring back the Gmail chain invites? I remember that working pretty well here for when Gmail was invite only.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Everyone who is in gets unlimited invites. And I just happen to be in. I could probably invite some people if some of you wanted to get in.

Just post your email, and I'll invite you.

The Deliverator on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    edit: doot
    And I made a search engine for Google+ with CSE: http://www.mkronline.com/googleplus/

Saves having to type in site: all the time.

MKR on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    If you dont mind: shadakul(at)gmail.com or getsome49(at)hotmail.com.

Mega Playboy on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    centipededamascus@gmail.com

I'm really itching to try this thing out. Beta invites are like a drug to me!

Centipede Damascus on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Invites should be sent. Enjoy!

The Deliverator on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sweet, thanks!

Centipede Damascus on
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, they seem to have learned from their past issues with distribution. Clever way around the Buzz issues.

<dankon!>

Linden on
  • Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm impressed with the video part.

Golf153 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got it, thanks!

Houndx on
    edited June 2011
    Thank you Captain Cactus And The Water Preservation Squad for the invite sent one to houndx. Who want to touch the google+ experience?

Mega Playboy on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd love an invite if you're still sending them out.

Edit - Nevermind, got an invite. Thanks!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Invite begging

jollus@gmail.com

Jollus on
    edited June 2011
    Sorry everyone. It looks like they turned them off. The invite button is gone for me.

The Deliverator on
    edited June 2011
    Same here I will try in the morning. Let me know if you get a invite so I can pass the love to someone else.

Mega Playboy on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Edit - Got it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So will G+ work out better than Wave or Buzz?

Whats the feeling out there? From reading everything it just sounds like they are setting up fancy ways of doing mailing lists with friends and groups. Does it offer anything new that regular people will use?

Regular is the important part. Stuff like Wave and Buzz were wonderful for a small subset of geeks but Facebook spans grandmothers to the programming elite. What can G+ offer the people who don't even know what the internet is but have a Facebook account so they can look at cat pictures send by other family members and write happy birthday wall posts to people they dont even know?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!