As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 6/29 - Reservation Rumble

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
Batman, Inc was not only incredible, it was another incredible one-and-done, which are my absolute favorites.

Plus it actually proved that comics are still a good vehicle for delivering social commentary, it's just on the backs of the writers to do it well.

And as an added bonus, the very last panel that previews next month's oracle issue was an amazing silver-agey callback. If someone can scan it for me, I will love them forever.

Now I'm going to read Emerald Warriors and Project Superman.

HadjiQuest on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Detective Comics #878, Batman planned ahead. And, James Gordon continues to freak everyone out, excellent last page reveal.

img513.jpg

Dick has to then meet up with James Gordon, they talk about the past.

img514.jpg

direct link to the last page because it might not be safe for work

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Flashpoint: Project Superman was a huge, huge letdown and a very dull read. Hardly anything happened in it at all.

Emerald Warriors 11 was awesome, though. It's just a one-and-done by Tomasi and Bernard Chang, but it showed Guy being a space bad-ass, and just plain rocked. A ton of fun. The next two issues are also one-and-dones by guest artists, and I am looking forward to them.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Emerald Warriors #11 was really good, I agree. Tomasi also lets everyone remember that Guy was a badass without the ring, a subtle callback to when he was Warrior. Ptew Ptew lasers and all that. Plus a knuckle sandwich:

img519.jpg

img521.jpg

Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine #1 was great, even better than the first Punisher vs. the MU issue. Here, Wolverine does a much better job explaining when it reaches a plague level as opposed to Frank being all "time to kill the donuts." Laurence Campbell is on art, who has a really nice style, I can't say I remember seeing his work before. You don't even need to pick up Punisher vs MU, though the trade did come out today as well.

img516.jpg

img517.jpg

img518.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tex, can you scan the final panel of Batman, Inc. 7 for me? It's just so awesome.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sorry, I didn't buy Batman Inc. #7. You could say I had reservations about it (with Inc. I've waited to pick it up the following week depending on the reviews)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bah, bummer. Wish I had my scanner.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Batman Inc. was awesome. It's not a series I normally buy in singles, but the preview looked fun, and it was a light week for me. Morrison told a great done-in-one story, and Burnham's art looked fantastic, losing some of those weird faces that I saw in his previous Batman Inc. work.

I particularly loved the panel where Batman just has this sublime smile on his face, and remarks, "It doesn't have to take millions, does it? The idea works. Batman on a budget." Though I have to say, I always wanted to see that idea applied to a revival for Batman Jones.

Then there was stuff like Man of Bats' trophy room, which is available to the public for a small fee, with all the proceeds going to a local school, and features a giant wooden nickel. Or the Batsmobile, which is a battered old pick-up truck. Morrison and Burnham really good a good job of making the world feel solid and real, like these characters have been off having their own adventures for a long time, and we just haven't been privy to them.

And Man of Bats' stand-off with a dozen or so armed members of Leviathan? Awesome.

The Incredible Hulks Annual was fun, giving a nice conclusion to Layman's three-part story featuring Deadpool, Spider-Man, and the Hulk, stranded on an alternate Earth. As a whole, the thing really feels like the kind of comics I read as a kid. Ultimately inconsequential to anything else going on in the Marvel U, but still a lot of fun, with some neat concepts being bandied about, like Bruce Banner as the Sorcerer Supreme, and the Hulk as a Hell-touched demonic entity.

I also grabbed Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker #4, despite missing #2-3. Just like the first issue, it's all gonzo bonkers comics at its best, and Mike Huddleston's art is gorgeous. The issue is basically about a despondent Butcher trying to get his groove back, first by bedding an old friend from his superhero days, and then knocking heads with three superpowered enemies, whom he failed to kill back in issue #1.

Munch on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Detective Comics #878, Batman planned ahead. And, James Gordon continues to freak everyone out, excellent last page reveal.

img513.jpg

img514.jpg

Regarding that last page....what the fuck?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Tex, can you scan the final panel of Batman, Inc. 7 for me? It's just so awesome.

IMG_0013.jpg

I guess awesome is one way to look at it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    noir_blood wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

img513.jpg

img514.jpg

Regarding that last page....what the fuck?

It works in a creepy sense because that is really the goriest page out of the last 3 issues, so it works very effectively in how Snyder shifts you from expecting a usual detective caper to "whatthehellishthis?"

As far as storyline goes
    James is back in town, his father met with him and was creeped out because James walked that line between either being very cognizant of how he acts and has acted, or was simply lying about what he's done. And the Gordon story from #875 also continued this idea that we don't really know if James is just in the wrong place at the wrong time or is a little psycho. This issue proved the latter point. There is another two pages I left out where Dick and James talk and you still wonder if he's just an awkward guy, and Dick is too busy thinking about the Tiger Shark case to really determine face to face if James is crazy. So in a sense Sophia Branch messing everything up will lead to James killing more people because Dick wasn't able to properly analyze James in their meeting

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

IMG_0013.jpg

I guess awesome is one way to look at it.

Wow.

That was up there all day, and I never even noticed.

If you are still ghosting around this forum, thanks Rich Johnston.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just checked out the newest Sonic the Hedgehog comic. Looks like the Genesis event their doing is a hard reboot on the Sonic universe. Issue 226 had Sonic meeting up with three of his friends for the first time and running through the Green Hill and Marble Zone from Sonic 1.

Overall, it was kind of awesome.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Batman Inc. #7. If only it was this easy.
    k11oy.jpg

Crimsondude on