As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks pretty awesome. I should have come here to find out invites got turned off instead of stumbling around the last thirty minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't invite my wife and the family.

Houndx on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd love an invite!

[strike]johnclaudeesh@gmail.com[/strike]

Thanks!

EDIT: Shit, well, if they get turned back on, let me know!

EDIT2: Got in! Thanks!

Esh on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    [strike]Yeah, if people get invites again, put me down for one.[/strike]

Invite get!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Invite begging here if they get re-enabled: mr.grinchx@gmail.com

I'll send you chocolate.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll take one if theyre made available again: REDACTED

There will be no chocolates, but you will have my gratitude, which if the stock market is any indication is trading fairly high these days.

emp123 on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I too would like an invite. Maybe we should get some sort of referral list going like in the gmail days

Invited, thanks.

Rook on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really like that one of the circles in the ad video is labeled "untouchables"

Jeedan on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    a - l - e - g - i - s [-at-] - g - m - a - i - l . c o m

hopefully they start sending out more soon
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    This is the third attempt at social network type stuff from Google isn't it?

But we had buzz (twitter) and google wave (very slow email and/or facebook groups). Was there something before Wave? I think there was.

In short: I don't know what the problem is that google are trying to fix. And I think this is why their products don't succeed in this sphere.

Their earlier one is still around, is big in some countries (Brazil in particular), but is one they purchased instead of developing in-house - Orkut.

As far as what Google+ is fixing, I think the answer is "privacy." I'm in the closed beta and while it's hard to judge with so few people that I actually know using it, it seems to have gotten the concept of having a fluid manner in which you show some things to some people and not to others down pat. You can define any number of "circles" which overlap with one another in any manner you deep appropriate, and anytime you share something in your stream (links, photos, comments, whatever), you choose which circles/people can have access to it. Additionally, it errs on the side of privacy instead of public - for example, unlike Facebook, you can designate who's actually allowed to tag you in pictures, and you can require authorization before the tag appears. And you can make it so only certain circles can see the tags and...well, you get the point.

I think that some of the names (Sparks in particular seems...off) could use some tweaking, they need to introduce some shortcuts for "common" behavior (for example, there's no method to 'private message' someone from their profile - you have to go to your stream and make a comment that only they can see), and it completely lacks any sort of bulletin board system on a person's profile which I think is something they'll need to fix in order to not drive people away who really enjoy that feature of Facebook (perhaps something which defaults to the profile owner either authorizing posts before they appear or permitting certain circles to post with impunity).

I haven't been able to poke around with some of the features due to lack of friends with webcams and such, so I can't comment on them. I question whether I'll use some of the features, but for the core product, it's basically.....well, it's Facebook minus all the distasteful things about Facebook that have been bugging me with all their privacy updates (and you can save photos from it!), plus the idle paranoia that Google knows everything about me.

e: Oh, and this is also a competitor for Twitter, by the by. One of the default circles is "Following" - you can add people to circles without them adding you, and if you have them in your Following circle, you'll see stuff in their Public stream in your feed. It's rather seamless.
    thanks for the write-up. quoting for some more exposure all the way on page 2!

no walls seems quite a miss. maybe they're wondering how to apply the circles privacy setting best to stuff other people post

Alegis on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the invite! I'll send out invites now.

In my opinion, if google+ isn't available in a good mobile format, it won't make it for me. I don't EVER use Facebook on a PC unless it's to reset my privacy settings after they opted me in for their latest way for the Internet to track me. I need the social stuff to be mobile friendly and fully featured for mobile devices to work. Stuff happens and I want to post it now, not when I get home. Or I'm bored now waiting for something.

The privacy improvements and video features I hear about intrigue me also. Especially the video group chatting. Thatd be awesome for family. Maybe they'll have fan page type of stuff also because homie loves a good deal and free stuff.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    might as well request an invite if anyone's got extras.

edit: i'm in! thanks MW!

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Might as well jump on the invite train if they're still being sent out:

ojracosta@gmail.com

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I expect a good mobile format and mobile app, the phone hangout chat seemed nice in the video if it wasn't just a mock-up.

facebook for android has a LOT of room for improvement

google+ might have a good chance there for 'hangouts on the go' in which facebook lacks.

Alegis on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would like an invite as well if anyone's got some left: tmackintosh@gmail.com. Interested in checking this out.

twmjr on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    may i please have an invite?

edit: GOT IT!

THANKS!

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Well, I got in.

Nice profile page, I guess. Needs more active users before I can tell how it actually works.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Apparently you could "pseudo-invite" people by including someone without an invite in a circle (or something like that), according to gizmodo, yesterday.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Woo invite. Thanks!

I see this as a collaboration platform too. There was an article I read the other day that mentioned this might be the basis for the integrated google cloud office strategy, tieing together the apps+email etc. This would make a lot of sense, as it seems to be laid out with workgroups in mind. Also, the potential of Wave for things like requirements/signoffs/implementations is/was huge, so if they have some version of it in there, they've got a winner. The personal end of it just means that people will get used to the interface and ease any level of enterprise/business adoption.

schuss on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah hell why not. tloughead@gmail.com

I applied to the waiting list as well. I'm curious if this is any good and if it's going to crash and burn just like Google Wave.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    schuss wrote:
    I see this as a collaboration platform too. There was an article I read the other day that mentioned this might be the basis for the integrated google cloud office strategy, tieing together the apps+email etc. This would make a lot of sense, as it seems to be laid out with workgroups in mind. Also, the potential of Wave for things like requirements/signoffs/implementations is/was huge, so if they have some version of it in there, they've got a winner. The personal end of it just means that people will get used to the interface and ease any level of enterprise/business adoption.

Sometimes I feel old school, but I simply do not trust the cloud. See the PSN hacks, the Amazon EC2 outage this past year. The possibility of not having access to my data or having it outright stolen just gives me the heebie jeebies about putting all my critical data out there. I'm fine for social stuff, stuff that I could lose and don't care about, but relying on it totally and to be perpetually available is too much I think. I hope thy don't Push this too much that way.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All aboard the invite train!

Hopefully they open up invites again shortly. I think it's important that if you're trying out a new social service, you have to let people invite friends to actually use said service.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ToyD wrote: »
    schuss wrote:

Sometimes I feel old school, but I simply do not trust the cloud. See the PSN hacks, the Amazon EC2 outage this past year. The possibility of not having access to my data or having it outright stolen just gives me the heebie jeebies about putting all my critical data out there. I'm fine for social stuff, stuff that I could lose and don't care about, but relying on it totally and to be perpetually available is too much I think. I hope thy don't Push this too much that way.

Well, I imagine they'll do something like MS and allow intranet google+ items, so everything is contained in the company network. Anything else just doesn't fly with the enterprise due to bandwidth costs/availability and the security reasons you already mentioned. This, integrated with gmail, is their exchange competitor.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hope I didn't send annoying email crap by adding people to circles in Google+. Dunno how it works quite yet.

Supposedly you can still invite people by posting something to G+ and then adding an email address when selecting who to share it with. Haven't tried it.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Apparently you could "pseudo-invite" people by including someone without an invite in a circle (or something like that), according to gizmodo, yesterday.

I just got in, a friend used that method

gonna check it out and try the same thing

Alegis on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If any of us do get invites, remember to go back and edit your request so that they aren't wasted.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, if one of you could sign me up that would be excellent!

sojakfa@gmail.com

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hello, privacy loophole
    Say a close friend of mine posts a picture of her kids to her "friends" Circle. With the "share" option on every Google+ post, I can reshare this with absolutely anyone, from another Circle to which my friend does not belong, right through to making it completely public. The same loophole applies not just to photos but to any kind of post, as far as I can tell.

If she'd known about this risk (and how would she?), my friend could have disabled resharing using the drop-down menu on the right-hand side of every post, but it doesn't seem to be possible to do this before she'd already published it. Google+ also, for now, lacks any way to turn off resharing of all your posts from within its privacy settings.

Echo on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's exactly the kind of thing that makes people pissed off at Facebook. tsk, tsk Google.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    That's exactly the kind of thing that makes people pissed off at Facebook. tsk, tsk Google.

But it's in beta!

I know; I know - everything at Google is in beta. But this is seriously beta, and beta testing is meant to bring out exactly these kinds of issues.

It sounds like it may be an intended feature. For instance, the funny picture of my dog? I probably don't care if that gets shared to other circles. Pictures of the kids? That I want a little more control over. The solution is probably just a little more explicit clarification on what privacy settings have what effect etc.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And it's exactly the thing they did with Buzz. "Let's leave everything open by default, they can turn on privacy on individual posts!"

Echo on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's really dumb that resharing is enabled by default. It should be disabled automatically, and then you can have the option to turn it on WHEN you post something. Not afterward.

I have a feeling that's going to be changed quickly.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Could also use a setting for which circles I want to see in the main overview stream. Some people are... chatty.

Echo on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any lovely people with an invite (if they are actually working?) they can send my way?

Would be muchly appreciated!

rcknight SPLAT gmail.com

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dunno, thats not so much a loophole as it is "hey, make sure you know the people youre dealing with."

If I share a picture of me wasted with my friends who are good, close friends, I dont see or expect any reason that they will then share THAT picture of me to other people for no reason. Make sure you make your circles actually mean something. The responsibility is on you with Google+. You no longer can do what I used to do with AIM where you just have a FRIENDS catagory with a billion people in it.

In real life if you tell a friend something, they can then go tell anyone. That's not a "loophole", thats them being a dick.

Its a slippery slope because where does it end? Do you disable being able to save photos from other people? Because what if I share a photo, and then you want to share it - but you cant. So you download it and then just share it from yourself. Or if you're weird and super determined you can take a screen grab! And share that!

I think you just need to use common sense. Internet common sense. Dont show anything to anyone that you dont want anyone to see. Make sure "Friends" means "FRIENDS I TRUST" if you choose to show anything personal. Problem solved.

I'm in, and I love it. Never used Facebook and can't wait to invite people on this.

If people are making a "PA Users" circle, feel free to look me up. [email]mikexmarks at gmail.com[/email].

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I really don't like facebook nowadays, but I use it because everyone's on it. Ugh.

EDIT: email stuffs removed, got in :)

DrCongo on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MKR on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, Google+ does all the legwork I already do myself. Invite train ahoy! lurili at the gmail with the period and com.

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How are you folks adding people to your circle?

I go to Circles then people then search but every email I put that's not on my contacts already doesn't bring up any search results.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    How are you folks adding people to your circle?

I go to Circles then people then search but every email I put that's not on my contacts already doesn't bring up any search results.

So add them to your contacts. :rotate:

MKR on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I need to get a better grasp on contacts before I make the big plunge.

It took forever for me to figure out how not to have every single person Ive ever talked to via gmail (including various @craigslist stuff and all that random emails) not to show up on my damned PHONE.

Google is so awesome, but it really does sometimes take a bit of effort to really get things organized across all platforms they have.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I just got in, a friend used that method

gonna check it out and try the same thing

[strike]If you want an address to start with...[/strike] ;-)

Invite get.

Mr_Rose on