As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Regular Ordinary Swedish [Chat] Time

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man the bell man's story in Astrocity.

Teared up at that.

Quid on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    mmm, reheated mexican time
    i prefer frozen mexicans

MikeMan on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cross examination man

shit be tough

So It Goes on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have eaten high-fibre shredded wheat for breakfast.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Turkson wrote: »
    Thor and X-Men First Class were both better than I feared. Not quite Iron Man/Spiderman 1-2/The Dark Knight good, but pretty good.

Green Lantern on the other hand...
    I enjoyed the shit out of X-Men: First Class.

I thought Thor was boring as shit.
    Thor was more boring but at least it was consistent.

I enjoyed X-Men: First Class but there were parts of it that hurts your brain if you take the time to think about how stupid it was.
    It was a James Bond movie with superheroes; why would you want to take the time to think about it?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There are only a couple of cards that let you add trauma tokens in that phase, and one of them involves the person adding the tokens taking a bunch of tokens. So, it's a high-risk strategy.

Well, there's a few which have negatives for human players, but can force Cylons to draw one or two Trauma tokens

It seems very human-biased, is other thought

especially since Cylons have basically one way of getting rid of trauma in the main game phases, and it's chance driven at best

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »
    cross examination man

shit be tough

Just remember that you can make a comment that steps over the line and possibly taints the jury if you add "withdrawn" to the end.
    No you can't, but they do it on Law & Order all the time.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm deliberately avoiding Super 8 because from what I understand it's a big sloppy blowjob to early 80s Spielberg and I kind of missed out on the whole Spielberg thing when I was a kid.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thor and X-Men First Class were both better than I feared. Not quite Iron Man/Spiderman 1-2/The Dark Knight good, but pretty good.

It needed a lot less Hal being self-doubting. Hal isn't my favorite of the main Lanterns, but the one thing you could always say about him is that he didn't doubt himself. He went and did things and damn the consequences. I mean sure it meant that when his best friend said "No, I'm pretty cool with being dead, leave me be." he ignored it. Because he was Hal Fucking Jordan.

Green Lantern needed a lot of different things.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm deliberately avoiding Super 8 because from what I understand it's a big sloppy blowjob to early 80s Spielberg and I kind of missed out on the whole Spielberg thing when I was a kid.

I don't think you have to be into Spielberg to enjoy it?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

so did I but I liked it

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yalborap wrote: »
    Second, let's say I wanted to very lightly dip my toe into the concept. Nothing outside my room as is, just tinkering with mixing songs and possibly some of what the internet tells me is called controllerism. Let's also say that I have a teeny tiny itsy bitsy budget. Do you have any recommendations for uber-beginner hardware/software to mess with? (I currently have access to an iMac, a crappy Windows netbook, an iPad(with Camera Connection Kit for hooking up USB stuff), and a very basic MIDI keyboard(A Korg Nanokey2, since I found several reviews that were quite satisfied with it))\

Well the most important thing, in my mind, is having a way to get the tempo for a song. I manually calculate the BPM for each song I play out, but I hear there are some good online sites and apps and stuff. You should be able to get traktor LE which is a pretty basic but solid DJ software program. Just get a feel for beatmatching and coming up with sets that have a logic behind them. Then I would say get a decent pair of headphones and a basic USB two channel mixer. If you aren't familiar, you want headphones so that while something is playing -- on a two channel mixer, it's most likely just one song -- you can set up the "Q" for the next song; i.e., you can make sure that it's coming in on the downbeat, usually of the 1, so that it will line up with the current song playing so that the beats match.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    cross examination man

shit be tough

Just remember that you can make a comment that steps over the line and possibly taints the jury if you add "withdrawn" to the end.
    No you can't, but they do it on Law & Order all the time.

withdrawing questions rocks

so does striking things

So It Goes on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I don't think you have to be into Spielberg to enjoy it?

mebbe

From the previews you know what it totally looked like to me?

A live action version of The Iron Giant. ;)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I enjoyed the shit out of X-Men: First Class.

I thought Thor was boring as shit.
    Thor was more boring but at least it was consistent.

I enjoyed X-Men: First Class but there were parts of it that hurts your brain if you take the time to think about how stupid it was.
    It was a James Bond movie with superheroes; why would you want to take the time to think about it?
    It happened during the walk from the seats to my car in the parking lot.

My brain started trying to reject what it had just imbibed.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oh man, so I've been drinking all night to kill of the bottles of booze that I had laying around that had two to six ounces of hooch in them. I started today with 50 bottles of booze, I'm down to 38.

DRUUUUUUUUNK

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I never thought I'd live to see the day when watching giant robots beating each other with fists and swords would fail to excite me.

Yet, here we are. Thank you Michael Bay. I don't even want to see Transformers 3 after how terrible the second one was.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    nicki minaj absolutely kills it on Kanye's "Monster" track

she's so much better than the rest of them in that song it's shameful

MikeMan on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Podly wrote: »
    Second, let's say I wanted to very lightly dip my toe into the concept. Nothing outside my room as is, just tinkering with mixing songs and possibly some of what the internet tells me is called controllerism. Let's also say that I have a teeny tiny itsy bitsy budget. Do you have any recommendations for uber-beginner hardware/software to mess with? (I currently have access to an iMac, a crappy Windows netbook, an iPad(with Camera Connection Kit for hooking up USB stuff), and a very basic MIDI keyboard(A Korg Nanokey2, since I found several reviews that were quite satisfied with it))\

Well the most important thing, in my mind, is having a way to get the tempo for a song. I manually calculate the BPM for each song I play out, but I hear there are some good online sites and apps and stuff. You should be able to get traktor LE which is a pretty basic but solid DJ software program. Just get a feel for beatmatching and coming up with sets that have a logic behind them. Then I would say get a decent pair of headphones and a basic USB two channel mixer. If you aren't familiar, you want headphones so that while something is playing -- on a two channel mixer, it's most likely just one song -- you can set up the "Q" for the next song; i.e., you can make sure that it's coming in on the downbeat, usually of the 1, so that it will line up with the current song playing so that the beats match.

Yeah, I've been doing a LOT of reading and video watching in the last few days. The biggest problem I ran into is that you go onto a place like DJ Tech Tools and find a thread asking for suggestions for newb gear to try out the hobby, people suggest $200 pro grade software and $400 controlling hardware.

The other problem I've ran into is not having any decent computing hardware that isn't heavily tied up in other activities.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have made this for posterity:

2ce6cns.jpg

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

It needed a lot less Hal being self-doubting. Hal isn't my favorite of the main Lanterns, but the one thing you could always say about him is that he didn't doubt himself. He went and did things and damn the consequences. I mean sure it meant that when his best friend said "No, I'm pretty cool with being dead, leave me be." he ignored it. Because he was Hal Fucking Jordan.

Green Lantern needed a lot of different things.

I like the idea circling the internet that it should have been about Hal vs Hammond, and the Corps only turn up at the end. Also
    While Sinestro putting on the yellow ring looked pretty awesome, I had no idea how they got there. Yes, we see that he's the guy who suggested using the yellow ring to fight Parallax, but he seemed pretty satisfied at how things turned out when Hal was able to win without it. Why would he suddenly decide to don the ring?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oh man, so I've been drinking all night to kill of the bottles of booze that I had laying around that had two to six ounces of hooch in them. I started today with 50 bottles of booze, I'm down to 38.

DRUUUUUUUUNK

photos time!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »

She's really really good at guesting on tracks; it's really surprising how tame her solo stuff is. (Even though it's INCREDIBLY well produced.)

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »

have you seen the video?

p interesting

So It Goes on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

DRUUUUUUUUNK

And you're still typing legibly. That's respectable!

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lady Eri wrote: »

2ce6cns.jpg

Very nice.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i have not seen the video but i like her so i will check it out yooooo

but maybe tomorrow maynes cus i need SLEEPIN like a motherfucker

night y'all

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

PHALLA RATINGS
    Silly Eri, we already have a ratings process.

Bad phallas are measured in farangus.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And dammit this comic book writer concept is brilliant.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey I have an entry in that wiki!

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I've been doing a LOT of reading and video watching in the last few days. The biggest problem I ran into is that you go onto a place like DJ Tech Tools and find a thread asking for suggestions for newb gear to try out the hobby, people suggest $200 pro grade software and $400 controlling hardware.

The other problem I've ran into is not having any decent computing hardware that isn't heavily tied up in other activities.

It's become a "thing" in this day and age of good cheap software: people feel entitled to be allowed to try out whatever they want. Music is expensive. If you take a project, and give it more money, I would say more than 50% of the time it will end up better. It's why I always tell people to not spend any money -- get software licenses from friends if you can, borrow gear, do it on the cheap. And then if you find out that you actually like it, then you invest in your hobby. And you actually have to invest in it. If you want to be serious about anything in music at all, it will cost you $500-1000 for a modest set up. There's not much point in buying cheap shit, because if you DO get serious about it you'll just need to sell that shit and get real gear in a year anyways.

So I would say that you should not spend any money until you're willing to spend the $500-$800 it really requires.

Either that or start DJing vinyl and you'll be cooler than me.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    podly didya get that thing I sent ya

also you don't need to form an LLC because you have like no risk so no worries!!!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

DRUUUUUUUUNK

photos time!

nah I haven't showered today and I'm a messssssss

@south host: I'm a professional drinker, quite literally. Very, VERY few people can tell when I'm drunk. It takes until I'm blackout drunk for most people to pick up on the fact that I'm drunk. It's a source of amusement to my bartending buddies: they all try to be the best at telling when I'm drunk.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heh I was such a bitch in that Gehanna Phalla.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

DRUUUUUUUUNK

photos time!

@south host: I'm a professional drinker, quite literally. Very, VERY few people can tell when I'm drunk. It takes until I'm blackout drunk for most people to pick up on the fact that I'm drunk. It's a source of amusement to my bartending buddies: they all try to be the best at telling when I'm drunk.

dirty pods?

even better

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »
    podly didya get that thing I sent ya

also you don't need to form an LLC because you have like no risk so no worries!!!

yeah I did it was super informative, thanks dude.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I say if your plans don't have a degree of dickery in Phalla...

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It's become a "thing" in this day and age of good cheap software: people feel entitled to be allowed to try out whatever they want. Music is expensive. If you take a project, and give it more money, I would say more than 50% of the time it will end up better. It's why I always tell people to not spend any money -- get software licenses from friends if you can, borrow gear, do it on the cheap. And then if you find out that you actually like it, then you invest in your hobby. And you actually have to invest in it. If you want to be serious about anything in music at all, it will cost you $500-1000 for a modest set up. There's not much point in buying cheap shit, because if you DO get serious about it you'll just need to sell that shit and get real gear in a year anyways.

So I would say that you should not spend any money until you're willing to spend the $500-$800 it really requires.

Either that or start DJing vinyl and you'll be cooler than me.

*shrug* Suppose it's a philosophy thing. I honestly don't mind "newbie tax" basic hardware at all. I'd rather drop, say, $50 and find out I love something and can fully justify spending more money(probably making a good chunk back on the old hardware by reselling it, or keeping it as backup or just to have more stuff), than to need to go in big from the get-go.(The fact that with some digging, I can find some apparently really solid ~$100 gear recommended for use as backup or an ultra-portable rig or somesuch, just leaves me further thinking that it's people not thinking about it correctly.)

But, yeah. To be honest, a big thing that's grabbed and intrigued me are things like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTfKGEgefII&feature=iv

The exact song he ended up making isn't to my taste, but the way it was done is really damn cool.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I say if your plans don't have a degree of dickery in Phalla...

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

BL, I don't know whether to hate you, or like you.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited June 2011

DRUUUUUUUUNK

photos time!

dirty pods?

even better

I try and be a VCB, babe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDG0c3saE4I

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.