As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Invincible wrote: »
    Hey all, what're your collective thoughts on adding a quick (as in as fast as possible) mile run right after lifting. I've kind of been wanting to get back to a decent mile time lately. Plus I figure that running a mile couldn't hurt my lifts too much because its not running for forty minutes straight or what-have-you.
    I run for 30-40 minutes before I do starting strength. As long as I eat enough and get enough rest between the running and weight lifting (30 mins to 1 hour), it really doesn't seem to affect me. Plus every "expert" seems to suggest running and lifting on the same day if you want to do both, so you're not denying yourself rest days.

Hoz on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In the same vein as running/lifting on the same day. I am trying to figure out when I should take my creatine since I like to run like 3.5-6 miles before lifting. Should I do it right before I leave for my run so it hits shortly after i'm finished?

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Actually decided that I was gonna head to the track at my school after lifting each day and do short bursts during a long jog.

I need to get more meat in this house though. Peanut butter is a good substitute for that because of the protein right?

Oghulk on
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peanut butter: high on cals, fats, and proteins.

Excellent for bulking

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    why not just run on alternate days

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good lord adding 5lbs to my overhead press is harder than adding 40 to my squat. Up to 110 now and that last increase was just torturous. Which I know is a good thing in its own right by still, damn. I feel inordinately proud of that five pounds.

Drijen on
    edited June 2011
    I will probably just run on alternate days

God damn it I need to go get some meat

Oghulk on
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Go eat a steak for me. Slowly, juices dripping, you know you want to.

Drijen on
    edited June 2011
    I should

and yeah, overhead press is killer

Oghulk on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    why not just run on alternate days

Because I lift every day M-F.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's nothing wrong with running after lifting and, in some ways, lifting will actually make you a better runner. But there will be some days, especially after heavy leg work, where running will be like pounding a nail through your dick.

With your balls.

And I would never run before lifting. Using up the energy in that order is just silly for someone who prioritizes lifting.

Gork on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Take a few days off, or deload

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sleep more

Peen on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Plenty of athletes lift after their games. Personally, I've found that biking up a giant-ass hill before lifting, despite wanting to hack up my heart, actually helped my lifting.

I say run when you want, and if you feel it hurts your lifts then find a different time to run.

Joe Chemo on
    edited June 2011
    i really oughta work out in general more than just my 3 days a week in the gym

but 1) can't run, knee is still fucked
    2) i am lazy and life is busy

still not sure what to do

need some motivation or something

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited June 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    sleep more

Went to bed at 11:30pm. Woke up at 8:30am.

I feel like I should be eating more or something.

I take it back, you sleep a ton. I'm totes jealous.

Peen on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    sleep more

Went to bed at 11:30pm. Woke up at 8:30am.

I feel like I should be eating more or something.

I take it back, you sleep a ton. I'm totes jealous.

HAH, seriously!

mrt144 on
    edited June 2011
    Gym lesson today: I can't warm up form barbell bench with dumbbells. The barbell benches were full so I figured I'd warm up with some dumbbell benching and whoops, the two aren't the same as it turns out. I did find out that I can comfortably rep with 75 lb. dumbbells, which I couldn't ever do before.

Peen on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has anybody tried making a few days worth of shakes and keeping them around in the fridge? Do they get weird? Separate?

Don't. They turn into an unholy gelled mass.

Kakodaimonos on
    edited June 2011
    Has anybody tried making a few days worth of shakes and keeping them around in the fridge? Do they get weird? Separate?

Don't. They turn into an unholy gelled mass.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

Peen on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I too live in NYC, i will find where you live, eat tons of asparagus, and start pissing under your fucking door every single night until you stop being so goddamn lazy!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Somethin' you guys may find interesting: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-physical-training-guide.aspx

Linksville on
    edited June 2011
    Consider that bookmarked for future reference

Oghulk on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm, maybe my problem with the overhead is that my grip is a lot closer than it should be.

Watching those starting strength videos yeh it looks like my elbows and such are a lot closer to my chest than they should be at thee rest position. See if I can fix that on Friday.

Oghulk on
    edited June 2011
    If anyone here ever ends up Slider's secret santa, send him this:

glasses.jpg

Hoz on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Hmmm, maybe my problem with the overhead is that my grip is a lot closer than it should be.

Watching those starting strength videos yeh it looks like my elbows and such are a lot closer to my chest than they should be at thee rest position. See if I can fix that on Friday.

Actually your press grip should be closer than your bench grip. I pressed with my hands 2 inches or so from the smooth, my press shot up when I moved in to about half an inch from smooth. Your hands should be right around the meat of the shoulder deltoid.

big l on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I think my roommate got pissed at me when, after lamenting how I only really got 6g of protein from a yogurt I had at 11 am and that I needed to eat more, he said that was about all I needed and I told him he was a silly goose.

I don't understand that! He asked me if I had looked up how much I needed!

In other news, I can open jars with ease.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm just way too spoiled when it comes to having time to lift. Since I'm on summer break for school all I have to do is lift and go to work. Yeesh. When people ask me what I've done with my day all I can usually say is "I went to the gym". Wouldn't want it any other way.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    I think my roommate got pissed at me when, after lamenting how I only really got 6g of protein from a yogurt I had at 11 am and that I needed to eat more, he said that was about all I needed and I told him he was a silly goose.

I don't understand that! He asked me if I had looked up how much I needed!

In other news, I can open jars with ease.

You need roughly a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. You also need to tell your roommate that you don't give a shit about his opinion.

Tube on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah. he's a great roommate, but i should stop commenting on my diet when he's been taking the opportunity to lecture me on shit he doesn't know about.

Oh well. Breaking my overhead press wall tomorrow, hopefully.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah. he's a great roommate, but i should stop commenting on my diet when he's been taking the opportunity to lecture me on shit he doesn't know about.

Oh well. Breaking my overhead press wall tomorrow, hopefully.

My roomate came home this morning while I was doing a Yoga Stretching Routine after waking up... In just my Boxer-Briefs and some Socks. He was prolly like "WTF is wrong with this cracka?"

I got tight hamstrings man! I didn't know you'd be walking in at 7:50am, or I would have put on some clothes, SHIT.

The only thing he ever really comments on is the amount of supplements I take. Which I understand is a lot for someone that doesn't work out, nor care about their nutrition and recovery. Fish Oil, Multi, Vit-D, BCAA Powder, Whey, and ZMA.

Buddies on
    edited June 2011
    Gonna skip squats today. I don't think I can do it three days a week anymore. I'm pretty much going to the gym mainly to strengthen my legs, but I need to scale back squatting to two days. I think I'll do dips instead today.

Hoz on
    edited June 2011
    BEAST! wrote: »

I too live in NYC, i will find where you live, eat tons of asparagus, and start pissing under your fucking door every single night until you stop being so goddamn lazy!!!!

no don't!

:(

btw i um, accidently ordered 2 bottles of ZMA instead of one because of amazon 1-click.... those don't go bad do they? because its enough for like forever

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    I am having trouble with, well I think my biceps. I am doing chin ups, 3 sets of 10 and I can do the first two fine but on the last one I get to 3 before I need assistance or I cheat. How low should I go? I like to go to hanging and then all the way up.

Also at the gym tonight they had a bunch of sushi (restaurants do this for some reason to advertise) at the front desk, my lift buddy stops to stuff his face with sushi. That really pissed me off since I am trying to get him into shape, pretty much like a personal trainer. I would say I don't know much, but I probably know way more than most real personal trainers do. Anyways is it bad to eat sushi right before you lift?

I mean common sense tells me that it is a dumb fucking idea, I wanted to slap it out of his hand and then make him do extra squats until he didn't think about sushi anymore. That didn't happen he just told me to hold on, it looks good. Fuck that pissed me off. What do I do about someone like that? They put no effort into the gym even though I tell them to look up how to do lifts and to research it to do better, he also has a few problems about lifts that I can't answer for him and he still hasn't looked into it.

Basically, how the fuck do I motivate someone who wants to be motivated but has the motivation attention span of a 9 year old with ADD on speed.

Fizban140 on
This discussion has been closed.