As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great Foodening - PAX Food Destinations 2011

• Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sweet Iron Waffles 1200 3rd Ave, Suite 110
    Seattle, WA 98101

They have the best waffles I've ever had outside of France. The speculoos spread is the stuff my dreams are made of.

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    irikahirikah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're willing to hike a bit Mike's Noodle House in the ID is amazing. Even in summer the soups are totally worth it. Pikes Place also has a ton of great places to grab a bite (as many have pointed out), and it's definitely worth the 10-15 minute walk.

Up on Cap Hill there are two places that really stand out - Honeyhole: amazing sandwiches, small resturant though and cheap and Poppy. Poppy is definitely on the 'higher' end of the spectrum, but Jerry Traunfield's a genius and the menu is amazing. Definitely worth a visit if you're willing to pay a bit more for a great meal.

If you're willing to go even further, Fresh Bistro (in west Seattle) is a great 'farm to table'/sustainable restaurant without the price tag of the other restaurants of it's kind in the city (Tilth/Lark/etc).

Fresh Bistro $$
    4725 42Nd Ave
    Seattle, WA 98116-4507
    (206) 935-3733

Poppy $$$
    622 Broadway East
    Seattle, WA 98102
    (206) 324-1108

Honeyhole $
    703 East Pike Street
    Seattle, WA 98122-3719
    (206) 709-1399

Mike's Noodle House $
    418 Maynard Avenue South
    Seattle, WA 98104-2917
    (206) 389-7099

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • Options
    EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just had an awesome lunch in Kirkland at the Brown Bag Cafe. A little mom & pop style place that is restaurant and small-scale bakery. They serve breakfast all day and have the most ridiculously large portions of food. About to send pictures of our order to all my friends and make them jealous of the cinnamon roll french toast I had. o_O

Hours: 6:30 AM to 3 PM
    $ - $$
    12217 Northeast 116th Street
    Kirkland, WA 98033
    (425) 822-9462

Menu would be nice, amirite?

Emerez on
  • Options
    ManoaManoa Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Manoa wrote: »
    I highly recommend Mediterranean Kitchen...this place is a couple blocks from my apartment and seriously has the best shawarma I've ever tasted. Their baklava and baba ghanoush are super tasty too. I've always gone during dinner and can say their meals at dinner offers lots of food for a reasonable price. You may even have leftovers...that is, if you can resist the urge to eat it all! ;)

Name: Mediterranean Kitchen
    Address: 1009 Boren Ave (just north of Madison)
    Distance: 0.6 mile (you can shave off some distance by cutting through Freeway Park)
    Food Type: Mediterranean
    Cost: $
    Hours: Mon-Sat 11 am - 8:30 pm
    URL: http://www.mediterraneankitchenseattle.com/

I love this place but I have to say that the one in Bellevue is better even if the only relation between them is name and owner's being related to one another.

I haven't tried that particular location yet (don't make it out to the Eastside often). I'll have to make it a point stop by the next time I'm out Bellevue way. :)

Manoa on
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. Some great looking places so far. Keep them coming but remember most people will not have transportation or know the Seattle area very well so closer (walking distance) locations are preferred. I am slacking a bit on updating the spreadsheet but it will get to it. Probably not this weekend though since its super nice outside finally and I'm going to go enjoy it shortly :)

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    JubbyJubby Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Pabla - Cuisine of India not too far. Has a lunch buffet for $8.99. Can get a bit crowded in there, but good Indian food. MOD pizza close by also, personal pizza for $6.28. Not really "Seattle Food", but figured i would list a couple cheap eats for when the bank roll starts to shrivel.
    http://www.pablaindiancuisine.com/lunch.html
    http://www.modpizza.com/

Jubby on
  • Options
    NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Harbor City in international district. 16 dollars fed me and 2 other people. Its an all day dim sum place

NovaFlares on
  • Options
    Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you want really good coffee, don't go to Starbucks, go to Victrolla Coffee Roasters. It is only up the street from Homewood on Pike and it is awesome. They do all their roasting there and it is always fresh. My wife and I went there every morning last year, sometimes mire than that. Once you drink good coffee you will never touch Starbucks again.

Victrolla Coffee Roasters
    310 E Pike Street
    Seattle, WA

Ghola Duncan on
  • Options
    Cuddly AardvarkCuddly Aardvark Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you want really good coffee, don't go to Starbucks, go to Victrolla Coffee Roasters. It is only up the street from Homewood on Pike and it is awesome. They do all their roasting there and it is always fresh. My wife and I went there every morning last year, sometimes mire than that. Once you drink good coffee you will never touch Starbucks again.

Victrolla Coffee Roasters
    310 E Pike Street
    Seattle, WA

I'm always up for trying new coffee places. My only question is they do serve Frappes or some version of a blended ice coffee drink?

I'm also quite the burger connoisseur and that Red Mill looks AMAZING. Seeing as it was on Man Vs Food is there massive lines? If so, how long are the wait times usually?

Thanks.

Cuddly Aardvark on
  • Options
    EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'm also quite the burger connoisseur and that Red Mill looks AMAZING. Seeing as it was on Man Vs Food is there massive lines? If so, how long are the wait times usually?

Thanks.

Give Blazing Onion a try, they can sub in the likes of a buffalo meat patty or wild boar on any of their burgers. Just opened up a new location in Alderwood mall too...

Emerez on
  • Options
    VodulasVodulas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guanacos on Cap Hill has either changed their name or is out of business.

Neither is true. Just ate there a couple days ago. Here is the link again:
    http://guanacostacos.webs.com/capitolhilllocation.htm

Vodulas on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Same goes for Elephant and Castle. Anything they offer there (Food and Drink) can be had elsewhere and is better. It's a chain so it's not like, OH SNAP ONLY ONE CHANCE TO GO HERE.

Also, I don't think this is a "foodie" thread. I thought it was just good places to eat in Seattle. Also, food nerd is a way better term than foodie. That is all.

Vodulas on
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am listening intently and absorbing all of your suggestions. Keep em coming :D

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    parasyteparasyte Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I know the Night Kitchen has been mentioned in this thread last year - it's near Pike Place and open from 6pm until 9am, perfect for some late night foodening. I'm looking forward to trying it this year, and I thought this might help some people on a budget:
    Until Thursday night, Ideal Network Seattle has a deal for the Night Kitchen. $15 buys you a $30 gift certificate (with a portion of your money going to a charity).

parasyte on
  • Options
    irikahirikah Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just realized no one had posted this, which in retrospect confuses me! But Dicks burgers is a Seattle institution, and they have 5 locations located throughout the city. The closest one to the covention center is on broadway (just hop on the 11 to head up there).

It's a drive in burger joint that only takes cash. They pay their workers really well, provide them health insurance and pay for tuition and make some of the best burgers in town. I'd recommend 2 cheeseburgers, a fry and a strawberry shake - will cost you about 8 dollars.

I'll post the hard info when I'm not posting from my cell ><

Edit: going to also post the info for some food trucks (skillet street/marination mobile) that are absolutely, positively worth a visit.... Or two....

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • Options
    LairdLaird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Due to my screw up in the pass thread, I am stuck in infraction mode till sometime in July. I cannot search the forums with this limitation so forgive me if this place has been suggested. I realize that this list is really ment for "with in walking distance" but I would really like people to check out a bar/taveran that is literally made for geeks and gamers up in Everett. I was there last Friday after some business in Seattle, the food, staff(managment included), and motif rocked!

http://www.afktavern.com/

Laird on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Laird wrote: »

Hmm... some of the menu wording is laying it on a little thick, but I can get behind a place with a decent selection of mead available.

I always have to special order bottles at my local liquor stores.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited July 2011

This place is awesome (I call it my PAX away from PAX), but it is at least a 30 min drive from Seattle.

Vodulas on
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Secundo for the AFK!! It's great. I've met the owners and they are truly a family of thoroughbred geeks.

Also try the new Cafe Mox (as heavily referenced in PA and PVP) at Card Kingdom. It's in Ballard, and although not nearly as fun and crazy as the AFK, it's a great place. Mox is a little more staid and classy, with kitchen staff who aren't really game geeks so it's not the kind of place where the Bartender posts the daily drink special as a Powerthirst reference (this happened at the AFK).

Lastly - Red Mill is truly the bomb. It's a pretty small place and locals love it. There is always a line and they only take cash. The original one is on Phinney Ridge, about a 15 minute drive or 30 minute bus ride from downtown (take the 5 to Greenwood).

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone else tried red mill? I've been wanting to go the past two years I've been :/

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Red Mill is great, I eat there each PAX.

Laird on
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I know a few of these places have been mentioned, but I gotta share the love.

Belle Epicurean -- 0.5 mi, 1206 4th Avenue
    If you don't feel like bothering with the big Market, there's a small pastry shop near The Fairmont Hotel that makes picture-perfect pastries that taste as good as they look. It's a lovely spot if you want something quiet and removed for yourself or a couple of friends. They also pull Cafe Vita, one of our local coffee crafters. I strongly advise it over Tully's, Seattle's Best, and She Who Shall Not Be Named, that seafaring slut.

Turkish Delight -- 0.7 mi, 1930 Pike Place
    Homemade Turkish delight aside, have the little babushka prepare you a cup of Turkish coffee. You will wait 10 minutes for it -- because she is slaving over that tiny copper pot to pour you a caffeinated nectar fit for the gods -- and you will love it. Her lentil soup is arguably the best. (... Period.)

Vital-Tea Leaf -- 0.4 mi, 1401 1st Ave
    I come here in the rainy autumn months when I feel that foreboding tickle in my throat creep up on me. If there's something ailing you, these ladies will fix you right up with an appropriate tea. They have an open tea-tasting bar where you can plop down for however long and chat with fellow tea-goers and the tea ladies as they pour boiling water gracefully into tiny clay cups.

DeLaurenti's -- 0.5 mi, 1435 1st Avenue
    I highly, highly recommend whatever the soup of the day is and the chocolate chip-hazelnut cookies, if there are any left. Also, I never did try it during the time I worked there, but everyone raves about their pizza.

Michou -- 0.6 mi, 1904 Pike Place
    If you love variety, pop into Michou's on the main Pike Place drag. They have about 20 different sandwiches on display, many kinds of salads and baked potatoes topped with various things, nanaimo bars and shortcakes in the summer, bread puddings and Italian doughnuts. All stellar.

Paseo -- 3.6 mi, 4225 Fremont Avenue North
    If you long for that characteristic Latin savoury-succulent-spicy goodness, find Paseo's. Anyone can vouch for their sammies, you can't go wrong. However, I will admit my favourite thing on their menu is not a sandwich. (That's how good they are.)

Mr. D's -- 0.5 mi, 1518 Pike Place
    Mediterranean fare operated by a bunch of sweet Greek boys who make the Best. Falafel. Ever.

Salumi -- 1.0 mi, 309 3rd Avenue South
    If you go crazy for the classic Italian sub sammy, you must go here. Very homestyle, pioneered by Mario Batali's dad, Armandino, and run by the whole family who cure the meat themselves. There will probably be a line, but if the locals are willing to wait, you should be too.

Harbor City -- 1.2 mi, 707 S King St
    Morning and late-night DIM SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!

For the Nighttimes

Bimbo's Cantina -- 0.7 mi, 1013 E Pike St
    This place is drunky paradise. Happy Hour 4-8p everyday and ALL DAY Sunday and Monday. Tequila drinks and sangria in carafes. Big-ass burritos. Stoner nachos, which are like normal nachos, but MADE WITH DORITOS. Watch your step as you slip into the only-mildly-seedy basement bar called the Cha-Cha Lounge, walls lined with Christmas lights and black velvet paintings.

Pike Street Fish Fry -- 0.7 mi, 925 E Pike St
    I'm not the biggest fan of fried foods, but I am an enormous fan of fish, and these guys have perfected that combo for me. Theirs is the only fish-n-chips I've ever had, but I think I'm already spoiled. (Catfish x aioli) + (fries x sriracha) = FLAVATOWN.

Fort St. George -- 1.1 mi, 601 S King St #202
    If you've been to Tokyo or enjoy thumbing through Japanese pop mags, you would know all the cool kids eat Western-style. Real Japanese food is here: omurice, spaghetti curry, hamburger steak with a side of potato salad heavy on the mayo. Open 'til 2a Fridays and Saturdays, 12a every other day.

Umi Sake House -- 0.9 mi, 2230 1st Ave
    Still the best sushi in town, imo. They have an expansive sake selection and some really unique sushi flavour combinations. The Yellow Fever (mixed fish roll topped w/ lemon slices and "fever sauce") makes my mouth salivate every time I think about it. And best of all, late night happy hour!!

Twinkie on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    irikah wrote:
    Just realized no one had posted this, which in retrospect confuses me! But Dicks burgers is a Seattle institution, and they have 5 locations located throughout the city. The closest one to the covention center is on broadway (just hop on the 11 to head up there).

It's a drive in burger joint that only takes cash. They pay their workers really well, provide them health insurance and pay for tuition and make some of the best burgers in town. I'd recommend 2 cheeseburgers, a fry and a strawberry shake - will cost you about 8 dollars.

Edit: going to also post the info for some food trucks (skillet street/marination mobile) that are absolutely, positively worth a visit.... Or two....
    Hop on the 43 (hop off at Broadway) or 49 (hop off at John), they'll take you right past it.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Glad to see this post survived the very cool board makeover. I will do a final update of the spreadsheet before PAX in a couple weeks. There some great suggestions on here thanks for all the input so far!

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    kammisankammisan Registered User new member
    A bunch of us are doing this 8/2: http://www.savorseattletours.com/tours/gourmetseattle

Discovered it by accident on yelp, pretty close to the convention area, food-- enough reasons for me! Snap up a ticket and let me know if anyone else is interested!

• Options
    itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    OK, this inspired me to go back and check my FourSquare checkins from previous years to find the great places we ate.

Jak's Grill - West Seattle - 4548 California Ave SW - We took the bus, which is super easy and fast. I had a burger and fries and it was wonderful. Really great food and service. $$

Hot Mama's Pizza - Uni District - 700 E Pine at Boylston - Pretty good pizza. Walking distance from the convention center. $

Dilettante Chocolates & Mocha Café - SeaTac Airport - Seriously, the best mocha in the world. $

Metropolitan Grill - Downtown - 2nd Ave btw Marion and Columbia Sts. - Admittedly we were quite hungover and went in looking for burgers, but it was one of the best burgers I have ever had. $$

The Palace Kitchen - Belltown/just on the edge of Downtown - 2030 5th Ave - Really excellent food. Mainly caters to locovores and fine dining, and well worth a visit if that's your thing. $$$

Alibi Room - Pike Place - 85 Pike St - We've wound up here two of the three years we have attended. Great fire oven pizza. It's bit hidden, but worth seeking out. Find the red door across the street from the bubblegum wall. $$

Maneki Restaurant - International District - 304 6th Ave S - A bit of a walk, but do-able. We've done it twice. Mainly for the fish cheeks. But, really, everything I've had here is very good. $$

Belle Epicurean - Downtown - 1206 4th Ave - The only reason we didn't stop in here last year was because we stayed in a hotel that had a continental breakfast. In years past, we went here almost every morning. The sticky buns are worth a walk, no matter where you're staying. $

Piroshky Piroshky - Pike Place - 1908 Pike Pl - So delicious. There's a reason there's a usually a line. $

Bookstore Bar - Downtown - 1007 1st Ave - We had lunch here after walking around. It was delicious. $$

Lola - Belltown/just on the edge of downtown - 2000 4th Ave - We had a nice sit-down breakfast here with a local friend. OMG. The donuts are to die for. And, everything else. $$

Daily Grill - right across the street from the conv center - We usually wind up here one night each trip, with a table of 8-15 friends we've hooked up with over the weekend and want to spend more time with. They're infinitely patient, and the food and cocktails are good enough that we don't think twice about going back. $$$

Honestly, I know there are more great places we've gone, but I can't think of them right now. There were also a couple of really terrible places you'd have to pay me to go back to, and several mediocre places we probably won't bother with again.

Not *that* kind of princess.
  • Options
    Cuddly AardvarkCuddly Aardvark Registered User regular
    Some relatives of mine said to check out the "Po Dog". Apparently they have some mouthgasmic hotdogs. Can any locals confirm or deny this? Second to my love and weakness for hamburgers is hotdogs. I checked a few pictures of the 'dogs online and they look like they absolutely load them.

The address is 1009 E Union St, Seattle, Washington‎

Thanks.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    irikah wrote:

I think this was discussed (or maybe it was in last years thread). This was omitted because it was a drive in only and that limits a lot of people (like me) from going. I will review it again and may go ahead and add it. Actually it looks like I had already added it before.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    Vodulas wrote:

This place is awesome (I call it my PAX away from PAX), but it is at least a 30 min drive from Seattle.

Yeah while the place does look interesting I won't add it to the list only because of its distance. Now that does not mean places like this shouldn't be posted in this thread as its a great place to let people know about it.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    [Deleted]

Aylaviere on
    East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • Options
    AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    [Deleted]

Aylaviere on
    East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • Options
    Aylaviere wrote:

When I was down in Seattle I got lost and had to use the washroom so I went to Dick's. You can definitely go in and order food, it's not just a drive-in.

It must have been Prom because there were a ton of people dressed up in their tuxes and gowns, it seemed a little out of place :D

Good to know. I had already added it but will add that to the notes.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    MortonStromgalMortonStromgal Registered User regular
    Manoa wrote:
    Since we're all gamers, I think it's well worth mentioning AFK Tavern, a new gamer-themed bar and grill up in Everett. It's a bit of a field trip from downtown, but worth the drive if you consider yourself a gamer nerd. :)
    There is a much closer gamer bar in Ballard called Cafe Mox http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-mox-seattle-2

• Options
    ElmoFuntz wrote:
    Vodulas wrote:

Yeah while the place does look interesting I won't add it to the list only because of its distance. Now that does not mean places like this shouldn't be posted in this thread as its a great place to let people know about it.

Like I said, I know it is far outside the city of Seattle, but it is something people can see/be made aware of.:)

• Options
    Spreadsheet has been updated and I added a quick link to Google Maps for each address so you can easily get directions from your current location. Details in main post.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    Wow the boards are moving had to go look for this post. Anyhow latest updates are up and done and unless there are more posts it might be the final updates. See main post for the sheet.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    Question: I am a first time PAX go-er and Seattle visitor.
    Wanting to take the girlfriend out to dinner one night where its business casual, preferably good seafood, not gonna break the bank (~$15 a plate max), possibly a view. Any such place or should I keep dreaming?
    Would Pike Place Market have such a place?

Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    afipanic wrote:
    Wanting to take the girlfriend out to dinner one night where its business casual, preferably good seafood, not gonna break the bank (~$15 a plate max), possibly a view. Any such place or should I keep dreaming?

I don't know much about Seattle, but I think that business casual for $15/plate seafood is probably unrealisitc. Someone might correct me though.

• Options
    afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    afipanic wrote:

I don't know much about Seattle, but I think that business casual for $15/plate seafood is probably unrealisitc. Someone might correct me though.

I am assuming so, and I can pay around $30-35. Just hoping for a hidden gem of any kind.
    It is worth asking. Thanks for the reply :)

Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • Options
    ManoaManoa Registered User regular
    afipanic wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    afipanic wrote:

I am assuming so, and I can pay around $30-35. Just hoping for a hidden gem of any kind.
    It is worth asking. Thanks for the reply :)

At that price point, a good business casual seafood dinner is going to be unlikely. But if you can make it lunch instead of dinner, you may want to try Ivar's Acres of Clams or Ivar's Salmon House during lunch hours (http://www.ivars.com/index.php?page=menus).