As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Armageddon Death Squad

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Listening to some KISS tonight. Started off with 70's stuff and ended up listening to some Lick It Up-era stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxaAQgZgP6g

Awesoooooome

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, I love that album.

Have I gotten you into Fastway Greasy? It's a former guitarist from Motorhead and they did some really great hard rock stuff, I think you might like the Trick or Treat soundtrack they did if you enjoy KISS. Higher pitched, nasal singing compared to Paul, but the music is definitely comparable on that disc.

Forgive the video, it's mostly movie clips and the band acting like idiots (aka, a music video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96j4v_DNmgQ&feature=related

Impaler and Megadeth LPs!

Here's another from the film opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LXA8GWAtI&feature=related

Notice the random Anthrax poster!

autothrall on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gene Simmons as NUKE

Have you ever listened to the band Vinnie Vincent started after he got booted from KISS? Vinnie Vincent Invasion? Totally by-the-books glam metal kind of stuff with Mark Slaughter on vocals for one album, and the guitar-playing is stupid in its ridiculousness. Lots of rumours Vinnie sped up the recordings, and it isn't hard to hear why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKeMeNjofU8&feature=fvst

I have both their albums though, back when KISS was my obsession for a little while.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    I used to have several albums from Vinnie Vincent Invasion and also Frehley's Comet. I have never really enjoyed Mark Slaughter, in either VVI or his later, more commercially successful band. But I did like some of Vinnie's playing.

I get very choosy about glam metal stuff. Sometimes it's alright, very rarely it's damn good, and then most of the time it just flat out sucks. For example, take the first TNT album versus what they would become later...

autothrall on
    edited June 2011
    Wow, looking back, this video is far more hilarious than I remember

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    They all are, man, they all are.

In their defense, almost all videos suck, from then until now.

autothrall on
    edited June 2011
    There's.... several VVI albums? I thought there was like, two...

Yeah I know of Frehley's Comet, I have an import version of Hot in the Shade that five bonus tracks and two of them were by them. Weird. "It's Over Now" and "One Plus One". SO CHEESY.

And you're right about glam metal stuff. It's all over the place. I dig some of it though. Whitesnake is great. And I appreciate them even more when it features Steve Vai on guitar *swoon*

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    There's.... several VVI albums? I thought there was like, two...

Yeah I know of Frehley's Comet, I have an import version of Hot in the Shade that five bonus tracks and two of them were by them. Weird. "It's Over Now" and "One Plus One". SO CHEESY.

And you're right about glam metal stuff. It's all over the place. I dig some of it though. Whitesnake is great. And I appreciate them even more when it features Steve Vai on guitar *swoon*

Well, you are correct, there are two. I just meant several when you combine both those bands.

Also, the next FTDR project begins on Friday! Get your spears and helms ready, and make your godly tributes, you damn hoplites and peltasts.

autothrall on
    edited June 2011
    Ah yes, I can see how I misread your post.

What is the next FTDR project anyways, I kinda forgot

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    autothrall wrote: »
    ... almost all videos suck, from then until now.

This

Edit:
    Also, the next FTDR project begins on Friday! Get your spears and helms ready, and make your godly tributes, you damn hoplites and peltasts.
    :^: Looking forward to the next run of awesome!

Great work on Florida auto! I definitely agree on Spiritual Apocalypse, fucking sweet album and I hope they follow it up with something that further develops that sound eventually.

Edit x2:
    On your Doom Request auto, perhaps this fits the bill?:
    How about Condenados?

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Ah yes, I can see how I misread your post.

What is the next FTDR project anyways, I kinda forgot

Here are a couple examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnlJBnw-5Fc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxi42AoCpG0&feature=related

(I'll include Septicflesh too as my cheat band, like I did for Autopsy. They are Greek, but not black metal)

I wanted to do something with some discovery in it for myself, plus this was a good series request over at M-A. Florida was honestly pretty boring, not only because of all the live and comp albums but also bands like Deicide or Malevolent Creation who have these huge stretches of average or weak albums. I can already see about 15 bands in the queue that I've never explored, so it will be fun.

@hanksey: Eh, that's a little more like Candlemass style, crushing doom. It wasn't a bad song, I'm just looking for more trippy, cult/camp stuff.

autothrall on
  • NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To go back to the earlier discussion on Animal as Leaders there was an excellent discussion on metal archives about technical ability versus good riff writing and it boiled down to two points. A searing stream of memorized notes while technically impressive does not make a good solo or riff, since it is robotic and mechanical in nature. Where as a good riff(which is subjective) is something that allows for personality and the spirit of creative to shine through. i fall into camp two =p

NargorothRiP on
    edited June 2011
    Greek Black Metal is going to be great! I fucking love Rotting Christ, but I only have A Dead Poem, which is amazing, so I'm really excited to see their reviews and their peers' reviews! Thanks auto!!

I agree with you about Florida auto, but as it tuns out I overlooked quite a few bands in that scene, so thank you for introducing me over the last few months. I actually ended up picking up a number of albums, but those long periods of average were very depressing. It's too bad you can't somehow move the old posts that fit in the theme into the theme order, so that, for example, even though Cannibal Corpse reviews have been posted long ago, their reviews would've shown up with the new reviews when you cover that year for the scene. That sounds like a pain in the ass, though...

On Animals As Leaders. it is very weak. Let me explain it this way: I'm like a fucking Magpie: "ooooh it's shiny ...", about progressive and technical bands that are simply are not as good as my initial impression. It's like a disease and I am trying to treat this pathology with King Diamond and Darkthrone. However, in this case I admit to also have been tongue-in-cheek (sarcastic even) in my post that has their vid, because by the time I was posting it I was already tired of them. I really thought that it would be obvious that I was not being serious when I agreed with Morgenstern that the thread was not kvlt, and used that vid as a defense of that statement. Animals As Leaders doesn't even smell kvlt!

On that note, I wish forums made sarcasm easier!

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Mind you that there's nothing wrong with being technical if you can make good music, or even good clinical sounding, mechanical soulless music. In fact it's pretty goddamn cool if you can do both. The problem is that the metal scene has been infused with all these jocks whose notion of quality = HOW FAST WUZ THAT BLAST BEAT? SICK MAN. or HOW FAST WUZ DAT ARPEGGIO?

A lot of bands can win the 100 yard dash, but how many can win the marathon?

autothrall on
    edited June 2011
    Hey auto, are you already familiar with Witchburn? I just picked them up last night while trying to track down shit for your request. They are the closest I have found to your test cases so far and the lyrics are interestingly uplifting, which is not what I'd expect. Give it a try:
    Mind you that there's nothing wrong with being technical if you can make good music, or even good clinical sounding, mechanical soulless music. In fact it's pretty goddamn cool if you can do both. The problem is that the metal scene has been infused with all these jocks whose notion of quality = HOW FAST WUZ THAT BLAST BEAT? SICK MAN. or HOW FAST WUZ DAT ARPEGGIO?

Precisely.

hanskey on
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Right, which is why I enjoy, for example, Protest the Hero so much. They're pretty technical, obviously, but not in a way that sounds forced and mechanical. Sure, nowadays Luke pretty much just plays an endless stream of taps with a healthy dose of DAT ARPEGGIO on the side, but the shredding actually has a sense of personality to it, if that makes sense, as opposed to the hundreds of tech-death bands popping up that sound completely soulless and uninspired.

I bring up PtH mainly because I wanted to post the new song they just released. It's an instrumental that's almost completely devoid of DAT SHRED and, oddly enough, sounds like a Scale the Summit song.

To Porter, With Love

Blakout on
    edited June 2011
    I did think this bit on the Animals As Leaders on the wiki to be instructive. Apparently he has a past in a tech metalcore band, so that probably explains the weak songwriting, but at least he's not a complete dick. I've never listened to his old band Reflux, so I have no comment on that.
    The heavy metal record label Prosthetic Records saw Abasi's guitar work and asked him to create a solo album for them. Abasi initially declined, feeling such an endeavor would be "egotistical and unnecessary".[2] When Reflux disbanded, Abasi decided to take the label's offer.

Edit: Also on the occult doom rock: have you checked out Devil, auto? Apparently they are getting favorably compared to Ghost, and I have their demo, which is decent so far. They just released/will soon release their debut: Time To Repent, and I can't find it so I can't really tell you much more than that.

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    This occult doom metal/rock is really addictive.

What do you Heshers think?

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Devil is a little closer to what I'm looking for, thanks.

That other band (Witchburn) kind of sucks.

autothrall on
    edited June 2011
    My pleasure. I'm interested in this new sub-genre myself, but I'm no expert!

I really only liked little bits of Witchburn myself: a bit of cognitive dissonance with the lyrics and the style. I also realize that Condenados is also not really what you are looking for.

I'm just starting to get interested in this sub-genre like yourself, but I'm less busy, so I'll keep looking for you and everyone's benefit and to sate my own interest.

hanskey on
  • AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw Vinnie Vincent Invasion open for Maiden in '87. Mark Slaughter got hit in the nuts with a shoe.

Ataxrxes on
    edited June 2011
    hanskey wrote: »

I'm just starting to get interested in this sub-genre like yourself, but I'm less busy, so I'll keep looking for you and everyone's benefit and to sate my own interest.

Well, I wouldn't say I was just starting to get interested in it, since I've been listening to similar stuff since before it even BECAME a sub-genre (Sabbath, Witchfinder General, Pentagram, etc).

However, I haven't been keeping up on all the new bands that get talked about, and I kind of like this whole retro wave.

autothrall on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dang, someone beat me to sucking PtH's cock.

Tav on
    edited June 2011
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    I saw Vinnie Vincent Invasion open for Maiden in '87. Mark Slaughter got hit in the nuts with a shoe.

Incredible

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    hanskey wrote: »

Well, I wouldn't say I was just starting to get interested in it, since I've been listening to similar stuff since before it even BECAME a sub-genre (Sabbath, Witchfinder General, Pentagram, etc).

However, I haven't been keeping up on all the new bands that get talked about, and I kind of like this whole retro wave.
    :^:

Jeez, I can't say anything right lately ... :oops: ... sorry that you took it that way.

Obviously you have mentioned many times your love for the progenitor bands of this style and I have read your Doom list, so I know that you are into this stuff and have been for a while. I was just referring to the new bands in my "just getting into it" comment. :)

I really only meant to indicate that I know no more than you on retro occult doom rock bands (probably a fuckload less at this point, when you throw in the actual old bands). It was a poor choice of words, perhaps, but I'm just trying to give back to those who have given so much!

hanskey on
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tav wrote: »

I post here about once a month and it's always to fellate PtH. I really should listen to more metal.

Blakout on
    edited June 2011
    Tav on
    edited June 2011
    :^: Good call Tav! :^: Fucking Acid Bath is fantastic!! That whole album is fucking creeeeeepy, I love it!

BTW: U.S. citizens can't watch that version Tav. Something about content from SME?

Edit:
    Blakout wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

I post here about once a month and it's always to fellate PtH. I really should listen to more metal.

But then your kvlt nature would be revealed!!

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    :^:

Fucking nice, dude. I just picked them up yesterday while looking around myself.

So, I'm working on a ~15 band list for you ... give me a bit so I can do a little more than just give you the names! Maybe some short reviews here!! :)

hanskey on
    edited July 2011
    In the interests of making some goddamn progress here's a few interesting projects of the same vocalist, Phil Swanson. All are retro-doom/heavy/traditional metal and pretty fucking good. He's the Rogga Johansson of retro-doom!

I really hope the kvlt approves. Check it out Heshers and let me know what you all think!!

Hour Of Thirteen - Hour Of Thirteen

Call To Satan

Vestal Claret - Lost Loved Ones (this might not embed, but follow the link)

Devil's Daughter

Seamount - Sacrifice

The Mountains Will Know My Name

Briton Rites - For Mircalla

Karnstein Castle pt. 1

Nightbitch - Sex And Magic (EP)

Blood Moon - LIVE

Atlantean Kodex - The Pnakotic Demos (EP)

From Shores Forsaken

Upwards Of Endtime - From Genesis to Apocalypse and Beyond

Search For Light

hanskey on
    edited July 2011
    Picked up the remastered edition of Death's Human yesterday. Upon first listen, I can kinda hear the criticisms Auto outlined in his review. It's just not thaaaaaaaat memorable. Not yet at least. I'm gonna dig into it a little more soon and see how it stacks up to Symbolic, but right now it's sounding less impressive.

I need to get on the earlier earlier stuff though.

Also picked up Soundgarden's Live on I-5, it's alright.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited July 2011
    I've actually heard all of those doom bands, if you can believe it.

Hour of 13 is pretty good, the rest I don't really listen to.

autothrall on
    edited July 2011
    I was afraid that might be the case. Hour Of 13 is definitely the stand out band of that group.

Edit: What about Pylon, Black Oath, Kings Destroy, Saturnalia Templeor Surtr?

hanskey on
  • McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's Canada Day ! As a proud Quebecois, I'd like to post this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l2UlaYuNMg

Métal Noir Québécois, Tabarnak !

McKid on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yay! I'd like to post this
    Tampa+Bay+Lightning+v+Carolina+Hurricanes+CeykU0D0iYTl.jpg
    Wait, not that.
    There we go.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
    edited July 2011
    GreasyKidsStuff on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Happy Birthday, neighbors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlTq4WdHIzs

Homeless on
    edited July 2011
    Canada is responsible for Nickelback. No forgiveness.

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.